Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
There was any other way to play PS:T other than max WIS -> INT -> CHA in that order? And go as a rogue for the 8th playthrough cause some missing bits.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, it's a system that could be transformed from extremely permissive to extremely punishing with some tweaks. If it's getting praise, I suspect one of the reasons is that reviewers can imagine it being punishing ("What if you run out of points?") even though it actually isn't.

why the sad songs are cheaper than happy ones, she says "because there are more of them

tumblr_static_steven-wilson-porcupine-tree-no-man-blackfield.jpg

What's up with Wilson pic? Is it his quote or smt?

it actually sounds very similar to something he said once about his own songwriting. it was easier for him to write sad songs and etc.

Got it, didn't expect to see a Wilson reference on dex of all places, he's a pretty monocled individiual though, so I shouldn't be that surprised.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
What I want to understand is why they make most quests unimaginative. Of course, there is lack of talent, but is not just that.

I don't think the lack of talent is the main issue, although there's that too. Seems to me, as evidenced by the cut content shenanigans and 6 gorillion release delays, that the biggest problem was dismal management pretty much from day 1. Seeing as how InXile are a bunch of SJWs and hipsters, they probably operate by the "everyone is important, everyone should have a voice!" mentality and were in dire need of a brutal CEO-type of person to slap the shit out of everyone, get them to focus and cut out the unnecessary stuff that bogs the game down as well as assign more work to the actual talent in the company instead of the novice writers they've hired.

Right now, the game feels like the classic "too many cooks spoil the soup" syndrome, which is something that would've easily been done away by a proper manager.

Producers gets a lot of shit in gaming and film industries, espcially from some directors/devs and film/game fans, but producer who's great at his job is crucial for any project to succeed. Like you said, it looks like TToN really lacked one, I wonder why KSaun was really let go, was the project in shambles or was he let go because he didn't want to make cuts?

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, it's a system that could be transformed from extremely permissive to extremely punishing with some tweaks. If it's getting praise, I suspect one of the reasons is that reviewers can imagine it being punishing ("What if you run out of points?") even though it actually isn't.

Several reviews I read and watched in youtube seem to think it's actually too punishing (they have run out of points and struggled completing several crisis), which shouldn't be a surprise at this point, really.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
why the sad songs are cheaper than happy ones, she says "because there are more of them

tumblr_static_steven-wilson-porcupine-tree-no-man-blackfield.jpg

What's up with Wilson pic? Is it his quote or smt?

it actually sounds very similar to something he said once about his own songwriting. it was easier for him to write sad songs and etc.

Got it, didn't expect to see a Wilson reference on dex of all places, he's a pretty monocled individiual though, so I shouldn't be that surprised.

Monocled except for his wailing songs. Fuck his wailing.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
[...]

And yes, I've skimmed briefly through those top 20 negative reviews and some of them make good points, but most of them are utter nonsense. Apparently half of game has been cut, entire core of game has been removed, there was some conspiracy to make the game turn-based, money was spent on console development, and more of completely inane drivel like this.

[...]
Calling the truth is "inane drivel" is somehow a "truth bomb", now? The rest of the points are true, but this is utter bullshit. Half the game was pretty much cut, much of the core was removed, there was a bit of a conspiracy to make the game turn-based, and money was spent on console development. To claim otherwise is complete bullshit.
BTW, high culture is not necessarily superior to 'lower culture'; it is just more popular. With the critical praise T:TON of shit is generating, it is the high culture of this day and age, IMO.

They are; just because you and I don't like them doesn't mean they aren't.
First you claim, in your opinion, High culture is supposed to be more popular than lower culture. And then you cite a niche product as an example of high culture. Which one is it, the niche product or the more popular one?
You won't get get an intelligible answer. The only thing liberal marxists are consistent in is that they're inconsistent. Double-think is a very real thing.
I've mostly complained about the writing so far, but yeah the stat system seems really dumb.

I can kind of get how it would work in pen and paper, as you would have a DM to counter people doing retarded shit, but I really hate the whole spend points to pass any check thing. One of my favourite things about Fallout 1/2 and PST was replaying with completely different stats and seeing the different options that appeared.

Sad thing is, I see lots of reviews praising their use of this system. It's almost like they hate replayability and meaningful character development.
It also sorta works in PnP because the pools are much bigger and the Effort more limited, and the difficulties very depending on GM fiat. You increase or decrease difficulty, not straight percentages, and add or detract modifiers (+1/+2) from the d20.

Performing an "Impossible" act would entail beating a Difficulty 10 task, necessitating a result of 30 on your d20. This is obviously impossible, so the only way to perform tasks above a certain difficulty is by expending effort (which, again, is more limited). Only someone that has invested a lot of points in Might will be able to spend much of their Might at once, and only someone doing something relating to their Skills and so on will be able to lower the difficulty of the task, and be able to leverage their specialization with Assets. The Cypher System also supports extending the difficulty up to 15, depending on the game you're running.

So yeah, even though it's still arguably a stupid system, and even though it's arguably possible to game the system in such a way that a wimpy Nano could smash stones with his fists, it's a lot more glaring of an issue in Tides of Numenera, especially since in a lot of cases, the set difficulties appear to be flat - that is, let's say resolution hinges on doing a Deception, Intimidation or Persuasion test. That's fine, you should have multiple options - what a good GM would do is that while you can certainly try to do that any way you want, in some situations, it should be a cakewalk to intidimate someone, but near-impossible to deceive them (just as an example). In Tides of Numenera, it's more like choosing a colour on how you want to resolve it, and then you resolve it by spending all the same points you would've spent after choosing any other anyway.

It's flat, uninteresting, and again, it doesn't even capitalize on the strengths (however few) of the system it's based on.

Last edited:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
There was any other way to play PS:T other than max WIS -> INT -> CHA in that order? And go as a rogue for the 8th playthrough cause some missing bits.
Yes, there was. Regardless, this is a recognized flaw of Planescape: Torment. Repeating that flaw is pretty unforgivable for a spiritual sequel, because that flaw has been harped on across boards for over 10 years.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
So yeah, even though it's still arguably a stupid system, and even though it's arguably possible to game the system in such a way that a wimpy Nano could smash stones with his fists, it's a lot more glaring of an issue in Tides of Numenera, especially since in a lot of cases, the set difficulties appear to be flat. (...) It's flat, uninteresting, and again, it doesn't even capitalize on the strengths (however few) of the system it's based on.

Popamole players, and by that I include some cRPG players that can't stand the thought of failing in a skill check, want challenges without failures. Make of that what you will.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Let see how it works in PnP:
#1 You get up to 30 point in total between all 3 pools. They are at the same time your health but you only need to lose two of the pools before you go down so you got 20 health on average (mages will have less due to bigger focus to Int). There are exceptions to this like with attacks that are mental in origin but most of the damage will go into your Might pool and then your Speed pool.
#2 Using effort cost 3 points, not 1 like in TToN. So trying to succeed every check will deplete your pools rapidly. You can rest 4 times per day, each time restoring 1d6+your tier points to pools of your choice but 4th rest lasts 8 hours so that one is like normal resting in TToN. Since your health is equal to your current pool values, trying to succeed every check also makes you weaker in combat
#3 You don't start with access to 2 effort at tier 1 making succeeding checks harder. Since using 1 effort costs 3 points and using each additional effort 2 more points per effort having Edge in that pool also does not let you get access to high level effort for no cost and basically auto succeed everything.
#4 as a result all this makes your skill choices more meaningful and effort is not the ultimate way to do everything for no cost.

TToN does not use shit system, it just did a shit implementation of one and I and few others talked about this when first beta was out and when they said they are implementing health system. Prime Junta was the one that also talked about how their implementation of effort and edge during beta will fuck up the system, balance and the game and he was right.

Moth

Learned
Just as I am about to activate the Feretory and escape Miel Avest during the "mid-game" (rip Oasis), bad pathing and that annoying zig-zagging your character does while running sent the Last Castoff straight into a Sorrow Fire, killing him and making me restart the zone.

B r a v o
r
a
v
o

ArchAngel

Arcane
Just as I am about to activate the Feretory and escape Miel Avest during the "mid-game" (rip Oasis), bad pathing and that annoying zig-zagging your character does while running sent the Last Castoff straight into a Sorrow Fire, killing him and making me restart the zone.

B r a v o
r
a
v
o
That zig zagging and fiddling around stuff you click on is sooo irritating. They cannot just move to NPC to talk to or object to interact with. They HAVE TO fiddle around that place a bit before they start doing what you told them. So, sooo, sooooo irritating.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I don't know why you are so sad. Everything is going according to my plan. Now I just have to wait for the new PS:T (EE) release by Beamdog.

Planescape, FFS. They're sitting on the license for one of the most beloved games and don't have the brains to figure out that it might be worthwhile to do something with it.

giphy.gif

Yes, yes, please do another PS:T with SJW themes and gamergate jokes. IWD and BGs have already fallen. Now they need to milk and rape the last overhyped piece of Infinity garbage so that the stain can never be removed. Then, and only then, AoD will be placed in the top, as it should be. The best shall be grognard and grognard only.

Planescape

This thread should officially have the words "AND YOU CAN'T STOP THEM" added to its title.

CLRASKXWUAEDArf.jpg

My evil plan is in motion. The attack will be on two fronts. By the time Beamdog release PS:T(EE) with Zoe Quinn and Brianna Wu as new romanceable companions written by Avellone, InXile will release a disgusting T:ToN on consoles, thus breaking IEfags spirit. Five years from now, the mere mention of "Torment" in this forum will bring sorrow and desolation. Good.

I called it.

Last edited:

Kaspar Hauser

Educated
Goddamit the writing reads like a first draft.
"The wind slaps and tears at your protective sphere"
How 'bout "batters", you fucking cunts?

BTW, high culture is not necessarily superior to 'lower culture'; it is just more popular. With the critical praise T:TON of shit is generating, it is the high culture of this day and age, IMO.

You just might be the single most retarded motherfucker on this Forum. That, or 9/10 bait. :lol:

You just might be the single most retarded motherfucker on this Forum. That, or 9/10 bait. :lol:

Phew!!!
And I thought you all on to me already...

It's so much fun being a retard in disguise
:backawayslowly:

ozymandiusz

Novice
OK, I finished the game.

descriptions are unnecessarily long, way too many metaphors, story is quite good, the game seems not completed.

It's 3/5. above average.

Fuck you inxile entertainment. I expected more.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
One of the things I enjoyed most about PST was reading about the Planescape universe and I really liked the little Art and Curio Galleria with its sculptures and paintings. That damn statue of an insanely dangerous wizard that I unfroze (and subsequently cursed me to death) or some of those locations, the Folly of Udo, The Library.

So far, Tides is almost like one of those places I imagined so great kudos to developers in creating that. In my 17 hours so far, I think the memorable characters and locations might be of PST levels. Let's see what happens outside the first main city. If there were to be other large locations of this quality would be a great game indeed. Particularly scoffing at crazed sex-voyeur in The Order of the Truth and there was that couple near the sculptor, watching kids, which is really very creepy and made me a little uneasy. Must be my imagination there.

Also like Perception and Anamnesis skills which seem cut above similar stuff in PoE. Like also how the game seems a bit complex with C&C and it's really not obvious what in heck is happening or could happen.

I think BG and its siblings and PST sort of had an edge here as a lot of stuff had already been built and established in AD&D and here we have PoE and Tides trying to create these odd looking game mechanics. I suppose it will take a while to get used to and hopefully more familiar with into the sequels.

There is a whole Douglas Adams feel to the falling from the sky in the beginning and bit of him felt through the whole game actually. The Adversery Malaise stuff totally creeped me out and reminded me a bit of that entity 'O' trapped by the Q (Star Trek). And saying that, I was happy to see O returning from PST and this time with a little reward too.

Interface seems off - I can't get it to work seamlessly and THOSE VOICES, DISNEY SEXED RETARDS, I HATE THEM.

The main story probably won't be as good as the Nameless One, but the greatest story ever told can only be told once right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom