Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community The Age of Incline: RPG Codex's 2012-2016 GOTY Results

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Pleasantly surprised by this poll. And here I was thinking that PoE was going to be one of the top 5, but it's wasn't even on 10 first. :hero:

Altough W3 the number 1. Wut?

Mareus

Magister
Will just say few things.
1. Witcher 3 is barely an RPG. It is more of an action adventure game with some minor RPG elements. Now don't get me wrong, I like the game for what it is, but considering it has no attributes, that it gives you a huge world to explore but then shits with map markers everywhere, considering that the dialogs seem to follow Bioware wheel recipe with short descriptions that turn out to be something completely different, etc... I am flabbergasted how this is considered even an RPG let alone the best RPG. If Witcher 3 proves anything it proves RPG Codex decline and an incline in other genres.
2. Age of Decadance - Great potential, horrible execution. If you consider teleporting around and being forced by the developer into "choose your poison" situations when clearly based on your skills there should be other options available to you, go ahead.. but I would hardly call AoD a good RPG. In a lot of ways it plays like choose your adventure with skill checks. Sorry, but not my cup of tea.
3. Divinity Original Sin - Great potential and some great new ideas that were even implemented properly. However, the tone of the game is all over the place. One moment you are exploring dark dungeons with blood sacrifices and are killing hordes of undead, then another every farmer, soldier, cow, rooster and sheep is cracking up horrible, cringe worthy jokes with an attitude of a drunk peasant. And this affects everything, from atmosphere to combat and story. Otherwise a great RPG, but at least for me, the crazy tone completely ruins the game. If it was good well writen humor, I might even enjoy it - unfortunatelly it was not.
4. Shadowrun Dragonfall.. yeah I can get behind that game. It was very well made, however hardly a classic. It's very linear, there is no loot, inventory is clunky and there is barely any exploration. Still a very good game imo.
5. Dark Souls I adore.. but I can't compare it with what I consider an RPG. Customization through loot and stats does not make something into an RPG. Not by itself. I mean, your character doesn't even talk, so there is no real roleplaying here. It is a brilliant (perhaps the best ever) dungeon crawling combat oriented action adventure with some deep RPG mechanics, but I don't consider it an RPG that I could compare to Fallout, Arcanum, Planescape Torment, etc.

If I would make my own incline list it would be:
1. Tyranny
2. Wasteland 2
3. Shadowrun Dragonfall
4. Pillars of Eternity
5. Legend of Grimrock 2

Yes, I am aware that all of these games are flawed in some way or another, but at least they are real RPGs and certainly better than what the consensus on the declining Codex seems to be. Also, yeah the incline in the gaming industry is beyond obvious. I am finally enjoying games again.

Last edited:

gaussgunner

Arcane
Witcher 3 is unplayable for me without important mods like wrinkle remove:
I might dissapoint you, but women doesn't look like this, they have wrinkles and that's normal.
I just fear you won't endure them since wrinkles inevitable. Just, well, you know - procreate!
:what:

I reject that reality.
She looks about 25 without the mod but if you think that's old, enjoy your waifu
meh.png

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Kind of telling that for all the Incline tough talk and all that good shit in the end the might Codex and the mainstream popamole media agreed that the Witcher 3 is a damn good fucking game.
It is good that Underrail and Age of Decadence did so well too and honestly other than the superb 1991-1992 (Ultima 7: the Black Gate, Darklands, Wizardry 7 and a few good games like Dark Sun)

Let's be real here.
U7: storyfaggot world game with trash REAL TIME combat but good exploration
Darklands: RTwP (WTF DECLINE DEX)
Wizardry 7: fucking blobber

Hm. Seems like that was a trash year.

Look. We can probably all agree this whole quest compass magical marker shit is retarded. I'm pretty sure you can turn it off but that's besides the point. Yes, we can probably pretty much all agree Gothic 2 is vastly superior. But ... the game still has other strengths and it's still really well made. It's certainly more entertaining than Sky "every dungeon is a corridor with a shortcut at the end" Rim.

eXalted

Arcane
She looks about 25 without the mod but if you think that's old, enjoy your waifu
meh.png
I was pointing at the stupid mods for Witcher 3 and the stuff the modders think needs fixing. Whatever.

Not sure if sarcasm or you missed my sarcasm.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Let's be real here.
U7: storyfaggot world game with trash REAL TIME combat but good exploration
Darklands: RTwP (WTF DECLINE DEX)
Wizardry 7: fucking blobber.

That's a really shallow caricature, faggot. All these games shine in certain aspects. W3 shoned in what exactly? The story? No. The combat? No. The quests? No. How come that the same people who trashed FO4 and DA:I think they are justified in praising W3? It's a popamole game trough and trough. Don't deny it. At least the pollacs with retarded nationalism have some kind of idiotic "excuse". The others are braindead. Know this: if you voted on W3 you are an imbecile with no standards.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
:notsureifserious:

I think you're confusing me with toro, he's the one downvotng AoD only because he wanted UR to win so badly. I never hated UR and if anything I've praised it (not counting DC). I have also stated the fact that AoD is better but that's an axiom. I'm also not a stalker like him and Sykar but whatever.

As for those new user accounts, 61 of those with 0 posts were created this year, out of 143 accounts like that. The rest was created earlier or much earlier. If you only cut those 61 AoD is still on top by a significant margin.

You shill for AoD at every opportunity outside the codex, I noticed it on steam forums first. I googled "underrail Goral" only to find out that toro had already made a thread about it with the same initial thought.

It's like in the ending slide for Daratan praetors after Maadoran, if you let Senna into the slums. Whatever VD is paying you, it couldn't be enough.

himmy

Arcane
the receiving end of polish nationalism

must be some of those polish death camps i heard so much about
Well they now are reviewing the papers and finding out that they used concentration camps after the germans were defeated (just consealed and it's a horror story). They used them on germans and their own citizens (some polish part that had different language, and alied themselves to germans after occupation).

:nocountryforshitposters:

nigga, stop embarrassing yourself
YOU ARE A PIECE OF SHIT RETARD. Here is some goog trans for you.

After World War II Nazi concentration camp in Poland remained empty long - here found themselves Ukrainians, Germans and even the Poles. These horrible historical facts Warsaw dabar.Kad concealed until the Second World War, the largest Nazi concentration camps had been established in Poland, knows a lot. However, the end of the war, these camps were not demolished, and Polish in turn torture and prison, heard almost nothing. This scandalous information Soviet Warsaw concealed from the people, and the current government also tried to keep quiet. Devastating historical facts are only now emerged to the surface. Camps, thousands have been tortured, raped, killed not only the Germans but also Poles, Ukrainians, silezians and starving people to transform even cannibalistic.

The historical archives considering M.Luszczyna found that in Poland in 1945-1958 there were 206 labor or concentration camps. The latter was carried in all - men, women, children, grandparents, and to work - healthy, strong men and women to a lesser extent. The concentration camps in the establishment of public security ministry, they operated until 1948, and later was converted into a labor camp. Over the past created the Central Coal Industry Board (CAAPV). Work camps have been established in all the coal mines and some large factories, since the purpose was to compensate for resulting in labor shortages.

Some of the camps silezian women were subtracted children from birth to rapists supervisors. The sprouts were put into the surrounding villages as unpaid labor. Silezian could not even speak their dialect, was forced to change to polish names have not been admitted to higher education, to leadership positions in the army or the government.

Read more: http://pasaulis.lrytas.lt/rytai-vak...rExtraLinks&utm_campaign=Copy&utm_medium=Copy

Just set up filters.

Boy, I sure am happy that this thread decided to focus on a less contentious topic than Witcher 3 winning the poll.

Villagkouras

Arcane
Congratulations to felipepepe for the poll, he had a very hard job to do.

I wish there were polls of this scope for other genres too.

I get why people fight over sports, politics and stuff like that. But I really don't get all this drama about games which is a fucking hobby. Not that I don't appreciate a nice internet fight.

As for the results, I have to disagree that an older mod or a port of an older game can be considered as 2016 GOTY.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
No idea what Witcher 3 is doing there, personally, since I find the series just utterly boring. But D:OS, UR, AoD and DS (in any order you might prefer) as non-popamole top 4 sounds about right to me.

Agree BIGLY with this post.

I also have a question for the management of this excellent exercise.

Have we taken due consideration about the number of people who did not play Witcher 3 as they knew it was total puke against the number of people that played POE hoping it wasn't?

Otherwise black is white, left is right and Trump might win the Whitehouse and even more astonishingly Lords of Xulima doesn't make the top ten.

Someone wake me from this nightmare.

Gunnar

Arbiter
The following people have been marked as targets for rating the wonderful and whimsical Driftmoon a 1 or a 2.

Sheep
Lin
whocares
Sratopotator
Rubeck
the_dagon
The Watchman
Matt7895
LarsWestergren
Exxos
commie
belated
Kruno
mbpopolano24
ColCol
MotherMachinae
PatataFamilia
Komrade
CRD
Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
Anomander
Skall
Imperialist
Gunnar
Charles Eli Cheese

Do no weep for them, for they clearly have no soul to begin with. Pulping their empty carcasses is surely the only humane thing to do.

Yes, I caused butthurt, I'm doing it right! Driftmoon was whimsical ass!

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
A partial list of shame of the individuals who gave “Pillars of Eternity” a 4:

Zed
Felipepepe
Jedi Exile

Deuce Traveler
Mastermind
Lady Error
Morality Games
Violet Shadow
Cosmo
Tigranes

The following disgusting individuals gave “Pillars of Eternity” a 5:

Crooked Bee
I have a huge nick
Roguey
Irenaeus
Tom’s Baker Arse

Elhoim gave Shadowrun a 4, and Darth Roxor a 5. What the fuck is wrong with you?

DISGUSTING!

I stand by my four rating. PoE was a very good game during the first half. It just completely falls off the rails the second half. Just because I might have felt bitter about the overall experience doesn't mean that it didn't have enough solid moments to justify giving it a better rating than a mediocre 3.

While PoE was a 3 for me in vanilla, with White March and other changes it is a solid 4. I'm hopeful for the next part.

Soulcucker

Savant
What constant is being used for the Bayesian average? It seems too big given Fallout 1.5's Bayesian average.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The butthurt and namecalling is strong on this thread... still lots of enjoyment to be had here
:kingcomrade:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom