Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Prime Junta

by the way

For Pillars it was to help the team see they needed to stop adding stuff to the game, and start spending time reviewing and iterating on what was already there. We had a pretty large fight about it, and I held to what I said to them.

Could it be that JES wasn't the one who cut MCA's mind dungeon after all, despite taking the fall for it?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm not saying no to "random" encounters as long as they are scripted and well thought out. The ones in Fallout 2 were awful, almost everything was randomized. It's like you had this inexperienced and unimaginative DM that did everything by the book.

rolls dice
"On your travels, you meet a group of..."
rolls dice
reads manual

"...Supermutants, fighting a group of..."
rolls dice
reads manual

"...Slavers."

Yeah, those were simply awesome, weren't they?
Or all the Monthy Python and other wacky encounters.

I just loved them.
In fact I love all things (classic) Fallout.

erickaqua

Educated
https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignBodyImage%2Fimage%2Fdata%2F4663ad6942ebe951%2F10d58663363efcf8%2F064a6404495e0c48%2F6d95277129acfafa

Strange... was PoE a hit in Korea?
I can sort of understand localizing games with little texts to Asian languages, but localizing a full-blown text-heavy game? That's gotta be expensive, especially when budget is limited. Why would they bother, do they have ardent fans there?

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignBodyImage%2Fimage%2Fdata%2F4663ad6942ebe951%2F10d58663363efcf8%2F064a6404495e0c48%2F6d95277129acfafa

Strange... was PoE a hit in Korea?
I can sort of understand localizing games with little texts to Asian languages, but localizing a full-blown text-heavy game? That's gotta be expensive, especially when budget is limited. Why would they bother, do they have ardent fans there?

They might also be looking at sales for similar games which have been translated to Korean. Perhaps wcrpgs sell well on Steam in Korea given a translation?

Prime Junta

Koreans certainly take their games seriously. It's a pretty big market too, 50 million people. Bigger than potato, smaller than sauerkraut.

erickaqua

Educated
You made me think they'd added that stretch goal again.

Whoops, I forgot that the campaign is still running and people are looking closely for updates. Sorry :D

They might also be looking at sales for similar games which have been translated to Korean. Perhaps wcrpgs sell well on Steam in Korea given a translation?

Oh yeah, that makes sense, I guess... Koreans seem to be most receptive to Western products after all :)

erickaqua

Educated
Koreans certainly take their games seriously. It's a pretty big market too, 50 million people. Bigger than potato, smaller than sauerkraut.

Last I checked their games are full of MMOs with skimpy girls and a certain twitchy, hyper-competitive, micro-management simulator involving humans and two aliens, but you're right, if there's a place to start expanding to Asia, I guess Korea is a place to start.

Prime Junta

Last I checked their games are full of MMOs with skimpy girls and a certain twitchy, hyper-competitive, micro-management simulator involving humans and two aliens, but you're right, if there's a place to start expanding to Asia, I guess Korea is a place to start.

Give 'em a few years. They'll be giving us a run for our money soon enough.

2018-Kia-Stinger_25.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Korea has 1.73% of total PoE copies sold according to Steamspy. Not sure if it's worth the effort, but it might be cheaper to localize than I imagine.

It could be free if they have a local partner willing to take on all the costs for a cut of the sales.

Sizzle

Arcane
Maybe they're doing that precisely because of low sales in those countries - perhaps they're figuring that translations to those languages will equal more sales there?

Prime Junta

– So, Mr. Przybyszewski, are the Russians your friends, or your brothers?
– Our brothers, of course. We get to choose our friends.

Mazisky

Magister
Btw stuff like Polish seems like a waste, wouldn't Russian cover it already?
Spanish, Italian and Korean I don't really get, low ownership percentages. Maybe these countries are really terrible at English and localizations brings in a higher ratio of new owners?

Yep.

Spanish and italian players are the worst in Europe in terms of english knowledge. Also, they're used to have almost anything localized since decades, and this doesn't help either.

Fairfax

Arcane
Korea has 1.73% of total PoE copies sold according to Steamspy. Not sure if it's worth the effort, but it might be cheaper to localize than I imagine.

I get that they would want to translate to German (6.42%), Russian (5.48% Russia + 2.23% Poland), French (4.38%). Big share of copies sold plus not the best at English, or so I've heard.
All other countries are either scandinavian/good at English, natively English speaking, poorfags, or barely contributes with any sales at all.

Btw stuff like Polish seems like a waste, wouldn't Russian cover it already?
Spanish, Italian and Korean I don't really get, low ownership percentages. Maybe these countries are really terrible at English and localizations brings in a higher ratio of new owners?
Looking at sales without the translations is misleading. Players in some regions are more reluctant to play in English than others, so the translation is not a sort of bonus reward to them, it's what makes them buy the game in the first place.
You can see the effect with The Witcher 3, as I posted here earlier:
Speaking of localization, here's PoE's geography data from Steamspy:

DlxCHAC.png

Unfortunately, it doesn't show the total data, just from the last 2 weeks. If they're smart, they'll add Chinese next. It's known to give a considerable boost to sales, specially with the lack of translated games to compete with. CDPR realized that a long time ago, and it clearly pays off for them. This is the Witcher 3, which has English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Arabic, Czech, Hungarian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Traditional Chinese and Turkish:

BLE3LxD.png

You can see that Poland has a very high percentage of PoE's owners for its population and economy, which shouldn't be a surprise, since they love RPGs over there. It didn't have a high percentage with TW3 because of how much the game sold worldwide, but even 1% across all platforms would be 100k copies, which is more than enough to pay for localization.

As for the other languages you mentioned: Spanish covers dozens of countries and is a cheap translation due to the vast supply. PoE1 had Italian and Italy ended up being one of the top regions. Korean is less certain, but maybe they looked at similar games that sold well in Korea. Western games are increasingly popular there as well, so maybe there are companies with a price they felt was worth the try.

It's really a case by case thing. Sweden is weird, for example. They're so satisfied with English and German that not even Paradox, a swedish publisher, translates their games there.

Fry

Arcane
Yeah, I'd say Korean and Chinese (which they've said is on the table) are just checkboxes so they can get access to the markets. They don't have to be very good translations, and there are a ton of Korean and Chinese speakers in Southern California who they can throw a few bucks at to do the job.

Prime Junta

It's really a case by case thing. Sweden is weird, for example. They're so satisfied with English and German that not even Paradox, a swedish publisher, translates their games there.

Scandinavians generally speak excellent English (although with amusing accents) and don't expect shit to be translated. Small languages.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom