Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2016 Role-Playing Game of the Year & Age of Incline Voting

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Best 5 regardless of year?

- Legends of Eisenwald
- Underrail
- Blackguards
- Divinity: Original Sin
- Shadowrun: Dragonfall
No Heroine's quest? :rpgcodex:

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Fuck, most games were a 2 for me, apparently. So many games, so much shit. :negative:

And to think in 2012 we thought a new Golden Age was dawning :lol:

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Best 5 regardless of year?

- Legends of Eisenwald
- Underrail
- Blackguards
- Divinity: Original Sin
- Shadowrun: Dragonfall
No Heroine's quest? :rpgcodex:

Heroine's Quest was in the running as was Dark Souls, Valkyria Chronicles, and Expeditions: Conquistador, but which of the above would you drop for them to make a top 5 list? Especially if you are like me, and prefer turn-based tactical CRPGs? If someone else makes their top 5 list something like Heroine's Quest, Serpent in the Staglands, Paper Sorcerer, Age of Decadence, and Fallout 1.5, I couldn't fault him or her for an equally excellent list.

Saulot

Novice
Upon reading this thread it appears I've played a lot more games than most of the codex, but the list still managed to stay mostly in the unplayed section. Thank you for the thoroughness of the poll.

Here's my faves for each year
- Legend of Grimrock
- Shadowrun Returns
- Lords of Xulima and Shadowrun Dragonfall
- Age of Decadence and Underrail
- Fallout 1.5

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
It pains me that being an honest bloke, I can't give Fallout 4 a 1/5 as I haven't played it and never will. Anyway, I voted mostly 2-4 with a couple of 1s and 5s - each for its own merits, no bloody GOTY bonus. And since the poll isn't averse to mods (Fallout 1.5), I was extremely surprised not to see Enderal on the list. Woulda been another 4/5. Oh well.

Nazrim Eldrak

Scholar
It pains me that being an honest bloke, I can't give Fallout 4 a 1/5 as I haven't played it and never will. Anyway, I voted mostly 2-4 with a couple of 1s and 5s - each for its own merits, no bloody GOTY bonus. And since the poll isn't averse to mods (Fallout 1.5), I was extremely surprised not to see Enderal on the list. Woulda been another 4/5. Oh well.
Even though I agree, check this out and you will understand why it´s hard to put every game in consideration.

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
True, obviously, and while much missing is shitty shovelware that can barely even be called a game, let alone a role-playing one, anyway, I do understand that smaller worthy stuff naturally slips through. But the mod that has had the most - nigh-inescapable - coverage of any mod in years and much more than any other RPG mod ever? I mean, fuck, it was even reviewed by Tier 1 Sites...

Well, too late now, anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
My thought on what will be top 5.
Legend of Grimrock II
Divinity Original Sin
Underrail
Age of Decadence
Witcher 3

himmy

Arcane
My prediction for the top 5:

1. Game that you wouldn't piss on if it was on fire
2. Game that you expected to be there
3. Game that you didn't expect to be there
4. Game that you're pretty sure only got there because of data shenanigans and the Bayesian cabal
5. Game that you wanted to be there

duanth123

Arcane
lightning_returns.jpg

We have a frontrunner.

Last edited:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
It wasn't me, but whoever it was pls stop the spoilers. I wanted Lightning's glorious victory to be a surprise :(
Hope you all loved Lightning Returns. :shittydog:
Yes, we know you and crooked Crooked Bee (and Jedi Master Radek) love jRPGs but the truth is none of it deserves to be in the top 50. Top 4 should look like this:

1) Age of Decadence
2) Legend of Grimrock 2
3) Fallout 1.5: Resurrection
4) Witcher 3

Don't want to spoil the rest but all Polish games should be in the top 10.

:troll:

Got bored and left

Well, 2016 was the WORST YIR EVAAAAAAH, so it is only natural that a game where #evilwon woud be best. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
What's your guys' favourite of 2016? Shit I can't even remember playing an RPG that came out last year. Certainly not Darkest Dungeon. Maybe Siege of Dragonspear but I haven't played that yet.

Fake edit: wait I did play Banner Saga 2. was alright i guess

V_K

Arcane
Well, to be fair to them, it was technically a second place:
In the running for this year's best games, the entry that came in first was..."none"! 12.9% of voters told us that they simply didn't feel that any one title was strong enough to take the prize this year.[...] next to "none at all", the very next title to get the most votes was Obsidian's Tyranny, at 12.5% of the popular vote. Since it's hard to give an award to nothing at all, we'll start there.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Mine was Dragon's Dogma by far, then stuff like Stranger in Sword City, Dark Souls III, Tale of Wuxia, Salt and Sanctuary... all either console ports or translations of older games.

Also Fallout 1.5: Resurrection, which is a goddamn mod. GG devs, truly an Age of Incline.

Got bored and left

What's your guys' favourite of 2016? Shit I can't even remember playing an RPG that came out last year. Certainly not Darkest Dungeon. Maybe Siege of Dragonspear but I haven't played that yet.

Fake edit: wait I did play Banner Saga 2. was alright i guess

2016 was just a crap, crap year for RPGs. Say what you will about the misbegotten fruits of the Kickstarter Revoution, at least it gave us things to shitpost about. The best thing to come out of 2016, meanwhile, was Celerity going crazy about Darkest Dungeon.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
GG devs, truly an Age of Incline.
Hey, 2015 was fucking awesome as far as I'm concerned.
I'll add this to the GOTY results, but apaprently the age of cincline was:

2012 - Grimrock and KS hope.
2013 - Hype and delays.
2014 - First wave of KS games, tons of translations and ports.
2015 - Joy to the world, all shots fired, OMG ITS HEAVENS.
2016 - Nothing but ports and translation while devs begin new games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom