Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity II Fig Update #1: Funded! Subclasses Stretch Goal, Character Import Details

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Pillars is clearly taking inspiration from Mass Effect 2.

You'll even be traveling around in a ship with a few familiar faces on your way to kill a giant humanoid.

Sizzle

Arcane
Eothas stole your XP. Fuck Thaos, this time it's personal.

PC: "Oi, you death-faking, Adra-inhabiting bitch, do you know what a chore it is to level up in a game with so many trash fights but no combat XP?!" :P

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Level one? It seems they are not going to compete with Baldur's Gate 2, after all.

In the Codex interview, Josh said they'll be going a bit above Pillars, meaning the level cap will probably be 18, which is right around where Shadows of Amn ends.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Starting at 16 was obviously going to be retarded. What did people want, another TOB?

Historically, most RPGs are fun at early and mid levels, and shitty at late. The only arguments I've seen are "MA IMMERSHUN" and "MA EPIC LEVELS AND XP".

Doesn't matter anyway - the actual gameplay will live or die by shit like fixing encounter design and, you know, the actual combat mechanics.
I could have been something in the middle but lvl 1 is crap. It is crap to force people to do it all over again with SAME character. At least in Kotor 2 you played a different character. Being reversed to lvl 1 was just a background lore of that character.

You can probably simulate your choices and pick a new PC.
Your mother dropped you on your head while you were a baby?

Tigranes

Arcane
Starting at 16 was obviously going to be retarded. What did people want, another TOB?

Historically, most RPGs are fun at early and mid levels, and shitty at late. The only arguments I've seen are "MA IMMERSHUN" and "MA EPIC LEVELS AND XP".

Doesn't matter anyway - the actual gameplay will live or die by shit like fixing encounter design and, you know, the actual combat mechanics.
I could have been something in the middle but lvl 1 is crap. It is crap to force people to do it all over again with SAME character. At least in Kotor 2 you played a different character. Being reversed to lvl 1 was just a background lore of that character.

I didn't know people were so emoshunally invested in the life story of the watcher

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I get why they want to start over with their leveling/skill system and thus need to restart the game at lvl 1 but why even have the original character back?

Sizzle

Arcane
I get why they want to start over with their leveling/skill system and thus need to restart the game at lvl 1 but why even have the original character back?

I suppose a lot of fans would have been disappointed if they didn't get the chance to continue with their PC, even though - apart from some past choices in PoE1 - there wouldn't be any real difference between a new character and a deleveled (and probably broke and unarmed) past one.

Wizfall

Cipher
Yea, i totally agree, the story/main character was so uninteresting they should have him dropped entirely and let us start in a blank state.
A fresh start free of this bland background, they could just let us choose the PoE1 "endings" that influence the setting we wanted at the star of PoE2.
It would be a nice way to clean up the bad parts to keep the good (or better) ones.

JustMyOnion

Educated
I think it's expectations from the general masses. Sequel = higher levels, new skills, even bigger and badder enemies and such. Failing to deliver on that would make it harder to sell or ask money for expansion or a sequel.
IMO a wrong perception (though one shared by many).
Witcher series didn't do any of that either and didn't even have proper explanations for that.
It still worked just well.

Very interesting to hear about subclasses. It really does sound like a character build decision that actually alters something.
Levels in the Witcher were meaningless. Witcher 1 starts out with Geralt re-learning his signs, in 2 and 3 he already knows all of them, yet in all games he starts out as Level 1. In proper RPG systems, levels should ideally describe a character's power level.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think it's expectations from the general masses. Sequel = higher levels, new skills, even bigger and badder enemies and such. Failing to deliver on that would make it harder to sell or ask money for expansion or a sequel.
Witcher series didn't do any of that either and didn't even have proper explanations for that.

Very interesting to hear about subclasses. It really does sound like a character build decision that actually alters something.
Levels in the Witcher were meaningless. Witcher 1 starts out with Geralt re-learning his signs, in 2 and 3 he already knows all of them, yet in all games he starts out as Level 1. In proper RPG systems, levels should ideally describe a character's power level.
Yes, but the point was that Geralt was suddenly very weak again at the start even when he shouldn't be from a story perspective.
And it didn't matter, because most people are capable of suspending their disbelief enough.

I mean, they could've pulled that stunt in BG2 as well, after all your soul gets stolen there, too.
It really does not matter either way.

JustMyOnion

Educated

Yes, but the point was that Geralt was suddenly very weak again at the start even when he shouldn't be from a story perspective.
He doesn't get very weak though. In W1, a Level 1 Geralt can barely stand a chance against a drowner. In W3, a Level 1 Geralt does a spin attack and cuts half the city of Novigrad in half.

DemonKing

Arcane
I'm not sure I'll bother playing Deadfire with my old character back at level 1 again, even with the new subclass system. Better to try something new.

Might be nice if I could import my old save data but start with a new character though, so the world state at least has continuity.

Prime Junta

Might be nice if I could import my old save data but start with a new character though, so the world state at least has continuity.

There's gonna be a "Dragon Age Keep" style thing that lets you set the world state to whatever you like.

Quillon

Arcane

There's gonna be a "Dragon Age Keep" style thing that lets you set the world state to whatever you like.

Nope, there is gonna be Tyranny - Conquest style thing in-game.

citation

http://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/156447173636/hello-josh-i-was-wondering-should-somebody-not

What could it be? Besides I already suggested it in official forums and they are doing everything I said :P Well, most things.

Ivan

Arcane
Storybook CYOA intro. It's gonna be cooooo.

They may even illustrate it, like the intro to the Fig trailer.

"You take an orlan baby from its crib. You decide to store it it in your sack, along with your tools of violence, tonics, and the remains of your eviscerated foes."

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
They are probably going for lvl 1 because they want to alter the system and the classes. And some classes really need some love, balance man turned Paladins and rogues into something really boring to play, even Clerics are weird and not THAT good at healing during battle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom