Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News inXile admit that Torment stretch goal content has been cut, including companions

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I would take a developer with courage that say, "Yeah, we fucked up." than one that come with bullshit like "We cut content but the game will be totally fine people, trust us!", please we aren't idiots and we aren't children, trust is a two way street, if you don't trust your customers with really important information, do you think they will trust you? What you say may even be true and trying to do this content no matter what might actually harm the game like the tons of token features PoE did, for example, but the trust was already broken.

Torment really needs to be an above average game, worse than the cut content is if even after all those sacrifices and broken promises, the end result is another lukewarm by the numbers RPG.
Yeah as some others have mentioned that is the textbook way to defuse a problem; by admitting it and throwing yourself at the mercy of the court
I have done it always and it disarms people because you just put the truth out there so they see you are at least upfront with your fuckups
Fargo didn't because honestly he is more of a "nothing to report" businessman and even though I admire and respect him a lot it does comes across as a bit deuchy
In all honestly this project has been one fuckup after another so I think that giving more explinations would only cause more headaches so they conveniently forgot to address that and just eanted to get the fucking game out...maybe it will be good enough and all will be forgiven and maybe not

duanth123

Arcane
Giving money to any kickstarter is a leap of faith.

I'm so tired of hearing this shit.

HannahJoe.jpg

These two were a leap of faith.

And, to the extent they were not disingenuous about that, received backing proportionate to their experience and overall prospect of success.

1,092 backers pledged $28,058 to help bring this project to life.

brian-fargo-header.jpg

Thiis tall glass of Newport Beach lifestyle, of the Fargo fucking family line https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wells_Fargo, with his name-dropping and big dick swagger, was not a leap of faith.

He was supposed to know what the fuck he was doing. And, to the extent he claimed that, received backing proportionate to his supposed experience and imagined prospect of success.

74,405 backers pledged $4,188,927 to help bring this project to life.

To regurgitate this talking point, that the former (i.e. the average kickstarter) is somehow comparable to the latter (let's call him a rich beggar), such that the intentional cutting of PROMISED FEATURES IN RELIANCE ON WHICH PEOPLE PAID MONEY can be just blithely ignored (notwithstanding you have zero independent proof that the cuts were made for a reason other than incompetence; notwithstanding they were essentially forced to admit it) is to answer your own implicit question:

But their cavalier attitude about it is not understandable.

Because you let them, fam.

Every single time you, a paying customer, given them the benefit of the unearned doubt.

Every time you bend over backwards to make the truly laughable assumption that these cuts concerned what "fit" their artistic vision.

Especially after the Techland shenanigans.

I mean, how do you think the DECLINE arrived in the first place?

Because consumers, people like us, let companies, take inches, which, when added up, amounted to the entire argument and any ground on which we might have stood to oppose this shit. And so standards lowered, because standards are costly. Quality is not cost-efficient when dealing with an uninformed consumer base. A self-indoctrinated consumer base, like all those dumb cunts over at NeoGaf

The only way your platititudinous statement holds any water is if we were all to assume from the beginning that InXile was lying and/or incompetent.

And I played Choplifter HD. And it was great.

Last edited:

covr

Prophet
Patron
Some fruit on NeoGaf said:
I generally agree about trying to be respectful even of huge assholes but guys, RPG Codex is a super fucking vile place. This is a place where...

1) The community 1-star review bombed a game for having the audacity of having a trans person as an incidental NPC.
2) They had a thread devoted to expressing outrage that Tyranny had one more female companion than male companion and featured a matriarchal society.
3) When some concept art for PoE2 came out showing a variety of portraits with black facial features, at least one poster started referring to the game as "niggerland".

And so on. So when I see people defending the Codex because sometimes, amidst all the bigotry and misogyny and petty fighting and vicarious status-seeking, they actually discuss RPGs... well, I lose a little respect for them. The attitudes and worldviews that thrive there are incredibly unhealthy and they give rise to shit like gamergate. RPG Codex is not an okay place.

So yeah, I don't think it's in great taste to call them a bunch of social cripples. But I think it's worse to normalize the behavior that goes on there.

/soapbox

What a fucking pussy, I hope she is going to be raped to death in niggerland.

Tao

Savant
So... Is Inxile going to blacklist Codex forever? I still don't have that clear...

On a serious note all this bs is the breaking point for me. From cautious optimism day one purchase to hold, watch and wait.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Come on this retarded beyond measure, you honestly think someone said "hey that second city sounds awesome let me up my pledge so we can get it"

This is in fact what people said in the Kickstarter comments section as the campaign was going.
You know what Roguey you are damn right I had forgotten all about the extra money they asked for for extra content for the depths or the alien vagina place on their pitch... they did pitch for more content on these areas

Andhaira

Arcane
Someone needs to call up Herve to buy out InXile and save the games and jobs.

Brian 'mismanagement' Fargo has done it again. But don't worry, he'll still be able to fund his trophy wife lifestyle thanks to millions retards donate to him

Darkzone

Arcane
You're all famous now kids: http://www.pcgamesn.com/torment-tides-of-numenera/torment-tides-of-numenera-cut-content

InXile confirm that certain Torment: Tides of Numenera stretch goals have been cut

In a post on r/Games, Reddit user SnakesPaw has compiled a series of posts from both the InXile and RPG Codex forums which confirm that a number of stretch goals for Torment: Tides of Numenera have been cut from the final release. This includes two companions, the crafting system along with the game’s Italian localisation.

The money raised from the Tides of Numenera Kickstarter was supposed to guarantee nine unique companions for the player to recruit, which included a companion called the Toy, a 'living ball of goo' who was added to the game at the $2 million mark, along with someone called Riastrad. When a trophy list for Tides of Numenera leaked online, players started to question whether these companions would feature in the full game, as they did not appear in the list unlike other announced companions. After multiple threads and questions via the Tides of Numenera forums, line producer at InXile Entertainment Eric Schwarz eventually released a statement confirming that “ the companion roster has been slightly reduced from [the] initial plans” of the Kickstarter.

They shouldn't have spurned Infinitron back then. How is their NDA doing now? :smug:

12987.jpg

"It was Aliens" x 1
Brian_Fargo

Mustawd

I generally agree about trying to be respectful even of huge assholes but guys, RPG Codex is a super fucking vile place. This is a place where...

1) The community 1-star review bombed a game for having the audacity of having a trans person as an incidental NPC.
2) They had a thread devoted to expressing outrage that Tyranny had one more female companion than male companion and featured a matriarchal society.
3) When some concept art for PoE2 came out showing a variety of portraits with black facial features, at least one poster started referring to the game as "niggerland".

And so on. So when I see people defending the Codex because sometimes, amidst all the bigotry and misogyny and petty fighting and vicarious status-seeking, they actually discuss RPGs... well, I lose a little respect for them. The attitudes and worldviews that thrive there are incredibly unhealthy and they give rise to shit like gamergate. RPG Codex is not an okay place.

So yeah, I don't think it's in great taste to call them a bunch of social cripples. But I think it's worse to normalize the behavior that goes on there.

/soapbox

Oh noes!!!!

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
I take it they're talking about Beamdog's shitfest? For all its many, many, many, many, many faults, Dragon Age: Inquisition actually handled its trans character very well. The little soapbox in Siege of Dragonspear on the other hand can hardly even be called a character, let alone a well-rounded, believable one. How's that for a nuanced opinion, you hypocritical pearl-clutchers apparently avidly reading this forum in secret? Besides, while we all know that here be human scum, there's more than enough else to hate about that interquel that throwing all "haters" into the same pot is either delusional or deceitful - or both - on a level that might even make the orange matryoshka doll blush.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
fanatic on NeoGaf said:

/soapbox

This shows the absurd importance these fanatics give to these things. You have a fucking treatise about game writing in the news page, hundreds of threads about all kinds of games, a fucking book about cRPGs, and then come this miserable myopic idiot to say that the Codex is not good enough because trans subject. I don’t understand these people. If they give so much importance about political agenda, why they are wasting their time with games? Snowflake reactions tells more about the political correctness gag that is being used outside than about the Codex. Every insignificant detail is perceived as the end of the whole world. Fuck these people.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
In two minds. Yeah, I understand why anyone with weirdly specific tastes such that they backed for the stretch goal features would be pissed off.

On the other hand - and this is not shilling specific to Torment or InExile - I'd be in full brofist mode if Fargo had said 'all stretch goals are cancelled, because after being struck on the head by a rock yesterday, I suddenly realised that really specific content promises are fucking retarded, especially stuff like NPCs and locations where the developers should be free to experiment. Why would anyone think that setting in stone specific characters and locations could be a good idea when trying to recreate a game like PS:T, which was only made because it flew under the radar such that the team could do whatever they wanted within the confines of than 'use the IE engine and make a D&D game'. Fuck that's an incredible stupid idea.'
Every location in PsT is in the Planescape sources books. It's nothing but predefined areas.

duanth123

Arcane
fanatic on NeoGaf said:

/soapbox

This shows the absurd importance these fanatics give to these things. You have a fucking treatise about game writing in the news page, hundreds of threads about all kinds of games, a fucking book about cRPGs, and then come this miserable myopic idiot to say that the Codex is not good enough because trans subject. I don’t understand these people. If they give so much importance about political agenda, why they are wasting their time with games? Snowflake reactions tells more about the political correctness gag that is being used outside than about the Codex. Every insignificant detail is perceived as the end of the whole world. Fuck these people.

Because a child's mentality has been hammered into them.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=229318981&postcount=285

Messofanego
(Today, 10:22 PM)

You don't have to look hard at all to find the bad stuff, here's just a very recent thread about Tyranny and female characters:

"bad stuff", "no-no words", "icky", "alt-right", "problematic", "not-pc"

Codespeak for "thoughts I'm not supposed to think, right or wrong"

It's like everything George Carlin believed had and would continue to occur.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
This shows the absurd importance these fanatics give to these things. You have a fucking treatise about game writing in the news page, hundreds of threads about all kinds of games, a fucking book about cRPGs, and then come this miserable myopic idiot to say that the Codex is not good enough because trans subject. I don’t understand these people.

They are called progressives because their brain cancer has progressed to the point where their cognitive abilities have declined to the level of an infant.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I backed Torment with 128$ - that was long ago when I had money to throw away :)

The things is: I don't care much about the cut content or the game anymore. Should I ask for a refund !? I don't think so. I knew KS is gambling and I said bye-bye to my money the moment I pledged.

TBH I did want to support inXile at that time but then they released W2, kickstarted W3 and The Bard's Tale, blacklisted codex and Fargo started talking shit.

Now I know that the sane decision is to ask for a refund but that would actually hurt the company which is already in a steep decline. It's also looks like pettiness cause after all it's just a game and it was bound to disappoint.

* Refund policy don't make sense at a basic level cause nobody can work with a budget that can evaporate at any moment.

Maybe just maybe inXile will realize how much they fucked up and then they will turn around. The alternative is that there is no turn around for a dead company.

I'm not sure there is a high road in the entire story but I cannot do it. I prefer to cut my loses and learn something from this. Like never trusting Fargo or pre-ordering an inXile game again.
You know, perhaps this is the way to go, I might just cancel the refund request and do exactly as you. At least I had fun worth of $100 in the Gamescom thread.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
People are saying 'TToN will be shit because of InXile's shitty customer relations'. That is the wrong way of looking at it; Torment could be a 10/10 game, but I will not buy it due to InXile's lack of transparency and lies, not due to any perceived lack of quality. Real boycotts involve actually giving up on something for ethical reasons, not just convincing yourself that that it is crap. For all the Codex's crowing about its superiority, they are acting like weak-willed imbeciles.

Unwanted

Charles Eli Cheese

Neckbeard Shitlord
Edgy Shitposter
this thread is fucking gold mine :lol:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1338749

there is more posts shitting on codex than calling Ineptile out on their bullshit.

d2A7Rje.jpg

I2lHf60.jpg

You heard it here first guys. Shitty development management and lying to your customers is design decision:retarded:

:lol:

Second post is a pretty good description of pedogafers actually. Probably people who have zero education and never had a real job and never had a conversation for more than 2 minutes in real life before everyone else backed away slowly.

First one is just the typical developer cocksucking. Most games are shit today and almost all the developers. You can suck developer cock all you want but it won't change reality, it won't budge reality even one micron. And this is what the truly mentally ill retard does not understand - your internet views just don't fucking matter. Which is also why it's so pathetic how many people try to shut down things they don't agree with, complain about posts people are making (even on other sites!), and try so desperately to suck the cock of developers who have barely noticed they even exist - if they ever will notice at all.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Second post is a pretty good description of pedogafers actually. Probably people who have zero education and never had a real job and never had a conversation for more than 2 minutes in real life before everyone else backed away slowly.

First one is just the typical developer cocksucking. Most games are shit today and almost all the developers. You can suck developer cock all you want but it won't change reality, it won't budge reality even one micron. And this is what the truly mentally ill retard does not understand - your internet views just don't fucking matter. Which is also why it's so pathetic how many people try to shut down things they don't agree with, complain about posts people are making (even on other sites!), and try so desperately to suck the cock of developers who have barely noticed they even exist - if they ever will notice at all.

NeoGAF would say almost exactly the same thing about the Codex. Have some perspective.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
inXile is pretty much giving the finger to people who actually gave them some money. Just imagine how little they think of some average neofaggot who does nothing but verbally suck their cock on the internet.

Unwanted

Charles Eli Cheese

Neckbeard Shitlord
Edgy Shitposter
People underestimate the effects of stretch goals.

dailypledges.png

See that bump in the middle? 03/21 was the Pat Rothfuss stretch goal announcement, and in the next day it was MCA. The 3 days before raised $73,515 combined, while March 21-23 raised $187,430 (155% increase). The average pledge in the day MCA was announced went up to $64.27 (the total average was $56.30), and the number of backers went up to 1347, while most days had ~600. It was also the day they raised the most money besides the first 4 days and the last 4 days of the campaign. If they had changed their minds about him joining the team, a lot of backers would've been rightfully pissed off, regardless of the challenges of game development or budget issues.

In addition to backers upgrading their pledges, stretch goals can bring a lot of new backers when a project has raised a lot more than it needed in theory. The opposite impression, that the devs don't need the money, has a negative effect, exemplified by the Shenmue 3 and Sony controversy. People also forget extremely obvious cases like Star Citizen. Its huge success wouldn't have happened without the ambitious stretch goals and backers upgrading their ships to reach them.

I would guess after following these things that stretch goals at least double the intake of a kickstarter. Without them, or with shitty ones, there would be basically zero kickstarters that make their goal.

So yes I am sure that is a big incentive.

And basically I don't think you can legally cut them without making it into fraud territory.

I mean they don't have to be great or anything but HOLY FUCK. If they are really cutting them completely that says to me this game is just a complete and utter disaster and basically still needs a huge amount of reworking and content and coding EVEN NOW.

So regardless, the game is fucked. Consolized SJW shit, that is pure vapourware.

People underestimate the effects of stretch goals.

dailypledges.png

See that bump in the middle? 03/21 was the Pat Rothfuss stretch goal announcement, and in the next day it was MCA. The 3 days before raised $73,515 combined, while March 21-23 raised $187,430 (155% increase). The average pledge in the day MCA was announced went up to $64.27 (the total average was $56.30), and the number of backers went up to 1347, while most days had ~600. It was also the day they raised the most money besides the first 4 days and the last 4 days of the campaign. If they had changed their minds about him joining the team, a lot of backers would've been rightfully pissed off, regardless of the challenges of game development or budget issues.

In addition to backers upgrading their pledges, stretch goals can bring a lot of new backers when a project has raised a lot more than it needed in theory. The opposite impression, that the devs don't need the money, has a negative effect, exemplified by the Shenmue 3 and Sony controversy. People also forget extremely obvious cases like Star Citizen. Its huge success wouldn't have happened without the ambitious stretch goals and backers upgrading their ships to reach them.

That was probably just the sites spreading the news "look MCA is aboard" and then the reader discover the game and then may back it, although the immense majority don't know who MCA really is.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I backed Torment with 128$ - that was long ago when I had money to throw away :)

The things is: I don't care much about the cut content or the game anymore. Should I ask for a refund !? I don't think so. I knew KS is gambling and I said bye-bye to my money the moment I pledged.

TBH I did want to support inXile at that time but then they released W2, kickstarted W3 and The Bard's Tale, blacklisted codex and Fargo started talking shit.

Now I know that the sane decision is to ask for a refund but that would actually hurt the company which is already in a steep decline. It's also looks like pettiness cause after all it's just a game and it was bound to disappoint.

* Refund policy don't make sense at a basic level cause nobody can work with a budget that can evaporate at any moment.

Maybe just maybe inXile will realize how much they fucked up and then they will turn around. The alternative is that there is no turn around for a dead company.

I'm not sure there is a high road in the entire story but I cannot do it. I prefer to cut my loses and learn something from this. Like never trusting Fargo or pre-ordering an inXile game again.
You know, perhaps this is the way to go, I might just cancel the refund request and do exactly as you. At least I had fun worth of $100 in the Gamescom thread.

Don't be a cuck like me (even if in this case is by choice). Be a man and stand with ur decision :)

Malpercio

Arcane
fanatic on NeoGaf said:

/soapbox

Because a child's mentality has been hammered into them.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=229318981&postcount=285

Messofanego
(Today, 10:22 PM)

You don't have to look hard at all to find the bad stuff, here's just a very recent thread about Tyranny and female characters:

"bad stuff", "no-no words", "icky", "alt-right", "problematic", "not-pc"

Codespeak for "thoughts I'm not supposed to think, right or wrong"

It's like everything George Carlin believed had and would continue to occur.

Well, that Tyranny female companions thread was fucking idiotic.

Also I bet at least 50% of the people in that thread post or at least browse the codex, kek.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom