Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Mazisky

Magister
just me or does XCOM 2 run like dog shit?

670gtx here

The game is really good and despite so much hate i think it's the best turn based of the last few years, but i have to admict that performance are really crap, cant deny.

I have a Geforce 1070 and still very noticeable fps loss when explosion or many stuff in movement. I run better looking games at +60 fps, Xcom 2 goes down to 30 lot of times.

Dunno if Firaxis is bad at programming or Unreal engine is bad at such kind of games.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It runs pretty poorly on highest settings. Switching off a few of them will make it run near-perfect but will also make the game look significantly uglier. (I'm also on a card that should be more than able to handle it.)

sser

Arcane
Developer
just me or does XCOM 2 run like dog shit?

670gtx here

The game is really good and despite so much hate i think it's the best turn based of the last few years, but i have to admict that performance are really crap, cant deny.

I have a Geforce 1070 and still very noticeable fps loss when explosion or many stuff in movement. I run better looking games at +60 fps, Xcom 2 goes down to 30 lot of times.

Dunno if Firaxis is bad at programming or Unreal engine is bad at such kind of games.

Could be both, but the UE3 engine is notoriously shit and there have been games that have upgraded from UE3 to UE4 because of it.

Mazisky

Magister
It runs pretty poorly on highest settings. Switching off a few of them will make it run near-perfect but will also make the game look significantly uglier. (I'm also on a card that should be more than able to handle it.)

Not in my case, i have the same fps loss in both max and min settings.

In some places he goes down to 40\30 with no difference between ultra and min settings.

I'm pretty sure you can take Nasa pc and still fps loss in same scenario.

The only thing who has some fps impact for me is the MSAA, all the other settings don't change fps at all

How's the vanilla version? I'm thinking about picking this up for the PS4, so I'm guessing it has no mods like LW.

Zep--
Why don't you just get it for your pc instead? It's 12 dollars plus tax on humble bundle monthly atm plus more games in just a few days.
that's what i'm trying to do, but i'm having issues with the credit card and no support is helping.
perhaps someone of you can. wink-wink, nudge-nudge.

vmar

Savant
Has anyone else been having issues with getting shot through walls/ceilings/floors/etc occasionally in LW2?

Mazisky

Magister
How's the vanilla version? I'm thinking about picking this up for the PS4, so I'm guessing it has no mods like LW.

Zep--
Why don't you just get it for your pc instead? It's 12 dollars plus tax on humble bundle monthly atm plus more games in just a few days.
that's what i'm trying to do, but i'm having issues with the credit card and no support is helping.

I'll buy for you if they announce an official big Xpack like EW before 05 February.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Has anyone else been having issues with getting shot through walls/ceilings/floors/etc occasionally in LW2?
Not playing LW2, but it sure as shit still happens to me in vanilla sometimes.

i'm the first one to say nuxcom sucks, but all this "shooting through walls" seems like a misconception to me.
the units are not considered to be standing still in their tile but instead they project some sort of "zone of action", that's why a soldier can stand next to a window and still use it to fire, that's why an enemy can hit a soldier standing next to a window, in theory out of sight.
i'm explaining all this because, with all its sucking, i've never been "shot through a wall" despite people complaining about this bug since the previous game.

Zep--

I'll buy for you if they announce an official big Xpack like EW before 05 February.
because you already know they won't, don't you? :P

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
At least once a game up through November of last year, I would have to start a mission over because a pod of enemies (almost always vipers) would ignore sight rules, including firing through two walls with no line of sight--literally into a windowless cell the VIP I was busting out was being held in one particularly frustrating case. Besides that, in the cases you're talking about, this game indicates what is and is not in line of sight with its handy marker--even if I think the sight rules are a bit ass sometimes, the game's usually internally consistent. Not so with this bug. This is not an issue I ran into in the last game, but it does resemble the "ignore sight rules on pod activation" bug that took them quite some time to resolve in their earlier foray.

EDIT: That's not to say I don't believe you when you say you've never seen it. Guess that shows me for buying it.

vmar

Savant
It definitely happens. I uninstalled all my map packs because I never had that problem until I started using them, and now it's happened again once or twice in LW2. Last night a viper shot one of my soldiers through 2 walls and a closed door, there were no windows, holes in the wall, anything that would've given him a shot.

Idk if it's an issue with user made maps or parcels or whatever but the absolute worst case I noticed was when I was doing one of the haven defense missions that a map pack added, and almost everything on the map was able to be shot through. I killed an entire pod that was on a floor below my squad by shooting straight through the floor, without actually damaging the floor or anything.

Sometimes the line of sight indicators can be incorrect but it's easy to tell when that's the issue as opposed to being able to just ignore solid objects for some reason.

because you already know they won't, don't you? :P

Not really, they are working on an expansion since X2 release, plus 5th february is 1 year aniversary: who knows.
well, on 4th the humble monthly offer should end, maybe it's not a coincidence.

sorry for doubting you vmar Skittles , i have more than a hundred hours on both nuxcoms and stuff like this never occurred to me.

vmar

Savant
All good man, if it happens again I'll take some screenshots so others can see.

Modron

Arcane
It's an issue in the base game, sometimes you can see and thus shoot people through walls. Line of sight in game is by no means perfect. Another thing sometimes walls you knock down are still available to use as cover.

Last edited:
There's actually a mod that fixes this. At least ever since I installed it I have not had a problem with LOS or shooting through floors/walls.

Mazisky

Magister
The LOS issue (shooting through walls, etc.) is related to fail map loading, so once it triggers, the whole level will be bugged. You need to reload the level and letting the game regenerate the map.

ArchAngel

Arcane
For anyone interested, I found a list of changes and fixes coming in next patch (ETA not known): http://www.pavonisinteractive.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=23646

I think it's healthier to consider LW2's "1.0" a beta version considering all the bug fixing going on for "1.1". At least with LW1 it was explicitly a beta and people weren't supposed to get too attached to their campaigns if they needed to restart for everything to get fixed properly.

Something completely absent from the patch notes is any mention of commander's choice. After playing a while with NCE, I can safely say that I can play with random classes, and I can play with random stats, but playing with both simultaneously is too annoying. I really want to play with NCE since I think LW2's soldier count suits it well, but not without an expanded commander's choice. I think this would really change the early game since you could decide not to have a balanced starting squad after gatecrasher and do something more optimal for what you rolled. But since there's no commander's choice (yet?) I think it's better to play with strict screening and work with the balanced squad.
Yea, I am waiting for this 1.1 before I start my LW2 run.

As for commander's choice, I know once you start gatecrasher you can go into options and there are some LW options there you can turn on or off. Maybe commander's choice is among them?
Or you can get a mod for that. I think LW2 devs said they will not bother adding more UI and small options like these and will let other modders make their mods work with LW2.

I'm using the Commander's Choice mod and it works well with LW2. The only hitch is that if you also use mod that allows you to level up more than once after a mission it can lock in your newly assigned class by leveling up the rookie more than once.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
The LOS issue (shooting through walls, etc.) is related to fail map loading, so once it triggers, the whole level will be bugged. You need to reload the level and letting the game regenerate the map.

I read the same, but it was failing because of the way (the order in which) they loaded the maps. So reloading wouldn't fix it anyway.

Zep--

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well I guess you and everyone else will need to figure out how to make those squaddy snipers useful :D
Or not use NCE and/or Hidden Potential.

Alright, I played this a bit and well, lot's of things I have an issue with.

For one, why is there no true concealment already included? It makes gameplay so much better, especially when you are heavily outnumbered and have to get as close to objective as possible before starting to blow things up. And what kind of sense does it make for Advent to start self-destruct of their own equipment the second you step out in the street and not a moment before while you were hiding there for a week? At least in the base game it could be said that they spotted the incoming dropship, but now...

Other things I'm missing from the first LW - commander's choice (hope the mod problems get fixed), aiming angles (someone in charge did't like it, so it's gone - why not move it to options like NCE and Red fog are?). No true training roulette either, that was an awesome option in the first game.

But the biggest issue that I have are secondary weapon choices for some classes. Sniper - you get to mark the bad guy instead of, you know, just killing them right away. Wow, hold me down. Gunner get's a knife. What a hell for? And technical - a glove that is a combination rocket launcher and a flamethrower. Could they have possibly come up with a stupider design? Ugh.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Alright, I played this a bit and well, lot's of things I have an issue with.

For one, why is there no true concealment already included? It makes gameplay so much better, especially when you are heavily outnumbered and have to get as close to objective as possible before starting to blow things up. And what kind of sense does it make for Advent to start self-destruct of their own equipment the second you step out in the street and not a moment before while you were hiding there for a week? At least in the base game it could be said that they spotted the incoming dropship, but now...

Other things I'm missing from the first LW - commander's choice (hope the mod problems get fixed), aiming angles (someone in charge did't like it, so it's gone - why not move it to options like NCE and Red fog are?). No true training roulette either, that was an awesome option in the first game.

But the biggest issue that I have are secondary weapon choices for some classes. Sniper - you get to mark the bad guy instead of, you know, just killing them right away. Wow, hold me down. Gunner get's a knife. What a hell for? And technical - a glove that is a combination rocket launcher and a flamethrower. Could they have possibly come up with a stupider design? Ugh.
If you are not playing a snapshot sniper you cannot shoot after moving so you can use holotargeting instead to help your team. Or you can take a perk that lets you holotarget as free action before you shoot.
Combat Knife of Gunner is a one action attack if anyone comes close, also lets you get some defensive perks for it and does good damage.
Technical has advanced rocket launcher from squaddy levels that normally you need advanced heavy suit in vanilla to get (all rockets are like that in Xcom 2, this is 30 years later, I guess rocket launchers got minimized.. ), flamethrower is a bonus.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom