Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2 Pre-Announcement Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm talking overhauls, not mere tweaks. Like maybe a significant reduction in the amount of active abilities to support higher levels, as mentioned above. They've already said they want to do something like that for Priests, so...

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I hope not. AI exists for the tards and all non-caster classes can choose between more active or more passive routes with their abilities.

Fairfax

Arcane
They're getting some feedback to figure out better physical rewards for the Fig campaign. Shouldn't take long for the campaign to be launched. :M

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wonder what the estimated release date will be for the game. They don't have anything else announced for 2017.

Sannom

Augur
Just answered the survey, I'm not sure how useful it will be, considering that I have sworn off boxed editions after PoE and Collector Editions after Tyranny. What use is a guidebook when the lore inside is outdated?

I wonder what the estimated release date will be for the game. They don't have anything else announced for 2017.
Well, we didn't know that they were going to release a game in 2016 before march of the same year.

Sannom

Augur
I mean, the exclusive short stories were interesting, what with one actually featuring Kyros and another having Sirin in the middle of a pen-pals relationship with a dead guy (and The Voices of Nerat being absolutely creepy about it), but on the whole, yeah, no, not worth the price. Plus, as I said, the guidebook was disappointing.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I thought Sawyer was proficient in German. Was he just LARPing?

If you are from the US (or really, most English-speaking countries) then I think a far lower level of proficiency counts as "speaking a second language". You are going to be miles better than anyone else, with nobody there to challenge you.

Where I live, it is obligatory to learn 3 languages: Swedish, English and at least one other language. Spanish, German, and French are the most popular. Most people travel a lot and always aspire to learn the language of their target country. So it is easy to be caught by people who actually know different languages if you claim to speak them. I think approximately that situation applies for most of the world except the US. If you are in the US and you know basic grammar and words from a tourist dictionary you can probably both LARP being proficient in German, and get away with it.

Fry

Arcane
The problem with being a native English speaker is there really isn't much reason to learn other languages other than personal interest or if you happen to be living in a non-English country. It's pretty tough to become proficient at a language unless you're speaking it regularly.

BTW, I don't recall Sawyer ever calling himself "proficient".

Last edited:

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

8256.jpg

Quillon

Arcane
We're seeing mostly Eder from "the future". He''ll most likely be in the sequel but how? He's either dead or in a secret eothasian society or mayor of dyrford or in aedyr empire... would they canonicalize one of the latter 3? Or would they do a proper save import with all options viable and Eder could also be dead?

Save-import stuff became a nit-pick of mine... tho actually it should be a serious concern for everyone who played PoE and plans to play the sequel. Boo

Sentinel

Arcane
Sawyer has said that if they were to ever do a sequel, save-import would be high priority because of the expectation people have (grand-adventure style a la BG).

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
It's going to take place in an aquatic environment most likely as we've been teased. I heard it will be out 2018. Things I hope it has: mermaids, sea monsters, sea battles like age of empires, yachtkeep.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Sawyer has said that if they were to ever do a sequel, save-import would be high priority because of the expectation people have (grand-adventure style a la BG).

Pretty depressing all things considering because if they do save imports that means they can't fix perception/resolve stats being relatively useless by going to 5 stats instead of 6 and other core engine changes.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's still an Infinity Engine successor, the number of stats is non-negotiable.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
It's still an Infinity Engine successor, the number of stats is non-negotiable.

Always thought it was pretty fucking retarded to have this whole discussion about meaningful stats during the kickstarter and how character creation shouldn't just be "max dex/strength/intellect, stick your dump stats to zero and on ya bike" and you should make meaningful choices, then shove resolve out the door as a dump stat for 80% of all character builds because grandad demands six stats like when he was a boy.

Ultimately just comes down to if you're a fan of good design in your RPGs and actual incline, or you're a fan of grognarding hard enough that it sends a chill down my spine, even if they make the game clinically worse

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The real problem is this dumb cherry-picking of what makes a game "IE-like".

Sawyer abandoned stuff like hard-counters, multi-classing, good itemization, mage battles, etc... but six stats is where he draws the line for some reason.

Sentinel

Arcane
The real problem is this dumb cherry-picking of what makes a game "IE-like".

Sawyer abandoned stuff like hard-counters, multi-classing, good itemization, mage battles, etc... but six stats is where he draws the line for some reason.
all in PoE/planned for PoE2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom