Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dark Eye Realms of Arkania - Blade of Destiny

Siobhan

Arbiter
Not really. The only spell you need is Armatrutz, which costs AC^2 mana points. But since it's stackable (which it shouldn't be according to PnP rules), you can simply raise your AC by 1 point each round at the cost of 1 mana point. Once you have staff magic level 4 spell cost is reduced by 2 points, so you can also cast level 2 armatrutz at 2^2 - 2 = 2 mana points. Per fight you need to cast about 5 level 1 Armatrutz to make it out without too much damage, whereas 5 level 2 Armatrutz are impenetrable for anything but the real heavy hitters. So you're looking at about 5 mana points for the usual fight, 10 for really hard ones. Very low maintenance. But yes, that is another reason why a solo mage is easier: you'll always have more potions and herbs than needed.

Edit: Also don't forget that a mage can get a pretty high AC rating with the right equipment. Basic Armor 2 + winter clothing 1 + golden shield 2 + silver helmet 3 = AC 8. I think there's 5 magic shields and 4 magic helmets across all three games. A party of 6 mages only needs 2 or 3 characters to act as tanks, so there's plenty of equipment to go around.

Last edited:

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Not really. The only spell you need is Armatrutz, which costs AC^2 mana points. But since it's stackable (which it shouldn't be according to PnP rules), you can simply raise your AC by 1 point each round at the cost of 1 mana point. Once you have staff magic level 4 spell cost is reduced by 2 points, so you can also cast level 2 armatrutz at 2^2 - 2 = 2 mana points. Per fight you need to cast about 5 level 1 Armatrutz to make it out without too much damage, whereas 5 level 2 Armatrutz are impenetrable for anything but the real heavy hitters. So you're looking at about 5 mana points for the usual fight, 10 for really hard ones. Very low maintenance. But yes, that is another reason why a solo mage is easier: you'll always have more potions and herbs than needed.

It stacks!? I didn't know that, yeah, that will make the fights quite trivial. (Feels also a bit exploitish, but I won't judge, if it's in the game, use it)

Armatrutz? Guess thats german for Mage armor right?

I think it's pseudo-latin, mixed with german. Many dark eye spells started with a made up word like that and finished with a rime, at least when I still played it. 'Trutz' means something like 'Resistance'

(Edit: You just wanted to know if 'Armatrutz' was the german spell name for 'Mage Armor', right?:? It is.)

Last edited:

Siobhan

Arbiter
Armatrutz? Guess thats german for Mage armor right?
Probably. Never played the English version* and I'm too lazy to look up the English spell names.

*Strictly speaking that's not right, for a while I only had an English version with a German language pack. It worked fine, mostly, but it messed up some of the text parser riddles.

It stacks!?
It definitely stacks in RoA2, and as far as I remember also in RoA1 --- I'm pretty sure that's how I did it in my mage solo. I think they changed it in RoA3, but at that point it really doesn't matter anymore because you're horribly overpowered.

Btw, Belmart raises magic resistance in RoA2 and stacks, too, which allows you to get MR ratings that are so high that they bug out and don't go back to the original value anymore. And for tough fights in RoA1 you can use Penetrizzel to reveal the map and then teleport across the fight with Transversalis. That is, if you don't just kill everything with poison. Overall, the RoA games are very easy to exploit.

overtenemy

Augur
NECRO

Starting Blade of Destiny, made a demonologist. I sort of recall years ago that Blood and Furor and Heptagon summoned demons in combat in Star Trail, but here it's telling me they're not combat spells. I can't seem to get them to cast out of combat either. What gives? Jasede ?

vonAchdorf

Arcane
They don't work in BoD.
You can train them for Star Trail of course and use Skeletarius in the meantime, which according to newer lore, is also demonic in nature.

Last edited:

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm enjoying enduring my first run of Blade of Destiny.
Ah, the joys of crossing mountain range from Rybon to Thoss in late autumn, I've never had anything like that in other games.

But I'm not familiar with ins and outs of TDE.
I suspect there must be reasons for metal armor to be better than leather, but I can't find any.

For example, these are shoulder pieces:
c879mxC.png

Chainmail costs more, weights more, has Parry penalty and not everyone can wear it.
Are there any hidden benefits?
Maybe enemies have higher chance of breaking weapons or something?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
All I can say is that the most expensive one which looks like a ring mail (probably also how it's called) makes you kind of impossible to hit especially if you keep the offense/parry thing balanced instead of going full offense, either you'll parry or absorb like 99% of the time. I kind of remember the shoulder thing protecting you well enough while leather armor did not but maybe that was pure projection because I spent some money on it.

About ability to wear, yes, warriors and dwarfs and thorwalians can wear heavy armours while other basically can't wear anything giving any protection and are better left out of melee range.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
All I can say is that the most expensive one which looks like a ring mail (probably also how it's called) makes you kind of impossible to hit especially if you keep the offense/parry thing balanced instead of going full offense, either you'll parry or absorb like 99% of the time. I kind of remember the shoulder thing protecting you well enough while leather armor did not but maybe that was pure projection because I spent some money on it.

About ability to wear, yes, warriors and dwarfs and thorwalians can wear heavy armours while other basically can't wear anything giving any protection and are better left out of melee range.

I get the basics of combat system,
that armor acts as damage reduction,
that you need to roll less then you Parry rating for successful block and so on.

It's just this case of leather shoulders being superior to metal in every way.
Maybe I'm missing something or maybe it's just a visual bug in the stats block.

I wonder if I should change my leather stuff for looted chainmail, coz I can't carry both.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom