Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So the day has come where I may finally need to install Steam...

zool

Arcane
After carefully avoiding Steam like the plague for years, I may finally need to install Steam as it seems to be the only online platform selling two Russian WWII-themed adventure games I've been meaning to play for some time (A Stroke of Fate : Operation Valkyrie and its even more obscure sequel A Stroke of Fate : Operation Bunker).

So, before I cross the Rubicon, any special recommandations? The last thing I want from this new application is to slow down even more my old computer, so any tip on how to keep it as light as possible is welcome.

PS: I do intend to uninstall Steam once I've finished both games of course.

profreshinal

Arcane
You likely don't need to have steam running (or installed) to play those games. Steam's DRM is only there if the devs added it.

Once those games are installed , close steam and start the games directly from the .exe file to prevent steam from starting. can be found at %Steam\steamapps\common\game\game.exe.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
maybe this list is not 100% complete

Dominions 4 isn't on the list and I can confirm it works even without steam.

wish me luck!

Just do it, I too was an anti-steam phag some years ago. Then I signed up for a family account and now, between me and a couple relatives, we have 90+ games. Of which I probably played 12 but that's beside the point...

zool

Arcane
Update: forget Steam, they won't process my payment because I'm using a credit card from a different country than the one they locate me in. Shitty region-based payment system is shitty.

Turjan

Arcane
Update: forget Steam, they won't process my payment because I'm using a credit card from a different country than the one they locate me in. Shitty region-based payment system is shitty.
Heh. Yup, that may be a hurdle. I cannot use any credit card on Steam at the moment, because I only have some from other countries. They have lots of other payment options though, so it's not a big deal. I'm using Paysafecard for example.

lefthandblack

Arcane
After carefully avoiding Steam like the plague for years, I may finally need to install Steam as it seems to be the only online platform selling two Russian WWII-themed adventure games I've been meaning to play for some time (A Stroke of Fate : Operation Valkyrie and its even more obscure sequel A Stroke of Fate : Operation Bunker).

So, before I cross the Rubicon, any special recommandations? The last thing I want from this new application is to slow down even more my old computer, so any tip on how to keep it as light as possible is welcome.

PS: I do intend to uninstall Steam once I've finished both games of course.

Once you install the games, copy and backup the entire game directory, obtain an exe that's been violated by a Jovial Eastern European Fellow, then fuck steam.
It works for Skyrim and New Vegas.

Cadmus

Arcane
I too was anti steam for a long time and nothing changed, only I need to use it for some games but it sucks fucking asshole, fuck steam and fuck anyone who thinks it's OK.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

You can try accessing the store using the country code of your credit card country, like this: http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=US

Canada = CA
Germany = DE
UK =UK
etc.

I don't know if that helps when signing up, but it definitely fixed the problem of not being able to buy games with an existing account when going abroad.

Turjan

Arcane
Of course, using the "DE" code is only for the desperate, or if you feel adventurous and want to experience a very special brand of game censorship.

zool

Arcane
Heh. Yup, that may be a hurdle. I cannot use any credit card on Steam at the moment, because I only have some from other countries. They have lots of other payment options though, so it's not a big deal. I'm using Paysafecard for example.

I don't see Paysafecard in the list of Payment option, only the usual credit cards + Paypal and Bitcoin. Were you able to circumvent the region-limited payment with this?

You can try accessing the store using the country code of your credit card country, like this: http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=US

Canada = CA
Germany = DE
UK =UK
etc.

I don't know if that helps when signing up, but it definitely fixed the problem of not being able to buy games with an existing account when going abroad.

Thanks but it won't do the trick unfortunately.

Turjan

Arcane
I don't see Paysafecard in the list of Payment option, only the usual credit cards + Paypal and Bitcoin. Were you able to circumvent the region-limited payment with this?
Well, this obviously depends on the country you sit in. I was not offered the Paypal option for example, even if I would have preferred that. I had the option to use a credit card of the country I had been living in before my last move, and I could use that country as store location. That's basically an option for frequent travelers, and this was set up via a ticket to customer support. I have now switched the store location to where I live now though, and the Paysafecard was an option to let me use my current residence as store country, although I don't have a credit card from here.

Unwanted
Queued Shitposter
Do you specifically want to buy it and/or the english version or what?
Cause otherwise see inbox...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom