Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Deep Paths: Labyrinth Of Andokost TB Blobber - Out Now

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Today is release day.

Heretic

Cipher
If you take a look at the screenshots, there's one there that shows the Character Sheet. That's about the level of detail that the game goes into in terms of stats. To answer some of your other questions - there are no races, or skill trees. Yes there is experience, levelling, a handful of spells, "puzzles" (depending on your definition of them), no "automap" - but there are maps, and of course there's a story and interaction.
From http://steamcommunity.com/app/375500/discussions/0/340412734660350973/

ss_8727a2697249b14ed0b93b9352642cade37313e1.1920x1080.jpg

So just 4 attributes and equipment? I see no skills at all.
:|

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
At almost $7, I wonder how the dungeon design and encounter design is. As well as puzzle design.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Surprisingly good game.

Character progression is very simple, but game is addicting. Combat is not easy, pleasantly hard.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Found all the items in the first room but the rogue tools... :M

EDIT: Oh ffs! heh

Last edited:

Nyast

Cipher
No Azerty / key rebinding support = unplayable here. Shame.

Nyast

Cipher
Yup I've already remapped my keys and been able to play a few hours. It's pretty simplistic and is not going to win any awards, but I guess for the price it's okay. The fights are very boring though.

Nyast

Cipher
Finished it today. Last levels are definitely better than the first ones. Maze layout & puzzles get better towards the second half.

UI is atrocious though. Dropping items or having information on who can equip items is an exercice in frustration. Special mention to the longbow which can only be used by the warrior and not by the rogue. Also, I found loot to be very lacking: most of the items towards the second half of the game are for warriors, I haven't found new protection gear or magic staffs for my 2 magic users after the first few hours of the game. Weird. Magic is also very lacking; there's only spells in staffs, so forget about learning new spells as you level up, the game doesn't work like that. Too bad. Overall I had fun and it's worth its price, but as an RPG ( even in the blobber category which usually has simplified features ) it is pretty basic.

DemonKing

Arcane
I played a couple of hours last night and it's pretty decent. The exploration and puzzle solving elements are fun and sometimes stretch across multiple floors. There are trapdoors, spell shooters, spikes that rise out of grates ("Impalers"), pressure plates etc. Secret doors can be found by moving wall stones, books on shelves, wall torches and so on. You don't get a map until you find the map for each floor which is a strange decision as I like the mapping aspect of these games usually.

The combat is not great - you can't dance around like EOB/Grimrock - you're basically locked in place and don't seem able to disengage. All too often my mage, despite being in the back row, gets knocked out and doesn't get any XP when I win a fight, meaning she's trailing behind the rest of the team in level. The combat effects are pretty ordinary too.

There's no music when you play other than the title screen/character generation and some of the sounds are annoying (like the save game noise which sounds like an old floppy disk firing up). The monster graphics vary in quality and I haven't found any different tile sets so far meaning the dungeon looks the same on level 6 as it does on level 1.

I'll keep playing and see how my thoughts change. A comparison with Heroes of the Monkey Tavern is probably fair. So far I'd say this is a better puzzler but HotMT had better combat and atmosphere. Grimrock still best in class by some distance.

Steve Jarman

Novice
Wow - you guys are some harsh critics... and I love it :)

If Labyrinth Of Andokost didn't do it for you, I promise I'm going to blow your minds with the next game. It's already in the works.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik

If Labyrinth Of Andokost didn't do it for you, I promise I'm going to blow your minds with the next game. It's already in the works.

Can you fix that back row gets targeted as often as first row?

DemonKing

Arcane

I don't think most of the criticisms here mean people found the game unplayable or not enjoyable, they're just things that it would be nice to see change in a patch/sequel. Double-clicking, for example, to pick things up in inventory is not intuitive and adds a layer of clunkiness to the presentation that could probably easily be avoided.

For a one-man team this is a pretty good effort. Did you get anyone else to playtest though? I'd think a lot of the points people are picking out could have been picked up quite easily with a few playtesters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom