Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Rev

Arcane
Erritis didn't have a lot of dialogue in the files when the beta first came out, but my thoughts were:

He stands out a lot next to the other companions, mostly because he's much more lighthearted.
He's very much a simpleton. Not sure if that's what some players want in a "Torment" game, but I didn't mind.
Overall I liked him and the contrast between him and the others. I think having a less grim companion was a good decision.
He's quite funny in the lines I read, but not goofy or forced.
Some examples of his tone and humour in the game:
"Oh, me? I'm just your normal, everyday hero. Well, not *normal*, I mean I'm the greatest hero who has ever lived! But don't tell the other heroes that. They get jealous and try to hurt me and sometimes they die."

"But my origins make it so much better, because I was just a farm boy, and now I'm the world's greatest hero. I bet you've never heard a story like *that* before."

(PC) "Wait, Erritis! Punching it might not be the best option!"
Erritis turns, scowling. "Punching is always the best option. Unless you can skewer. Skewering is even better." He smiles benevolently. "But please, tell me your other exciting options."

(PC) "Erritis, why is a passenger telling me that you threw her luggage off the cliff?"

"The Serpentess of a Thousand Kisses, yes. I almost miscounted, that would have cost me my life. Or my dignity. It might have cost my dignity."
"She had extremely sensitive lips and needles for teeth that would rotate on a belt. Only once every thousand kiss was safe, it was just a matter of knowing which one not to kiss."

(Dev notes, I think, no quotes or strings) Erritis is a hero because he believes himself to be so. The more heroic his actions, the more powerful and self-fulfilling they become.

And I wouldn't say he's unusual by MCA's standards, he's written stuff like this before, but it's not the usual MCA companion, specially when compared to the most recent ones.
Thanks for the answer. He seems a good concept and it's different from pretty much all the last MCA's characters, which makes things interesting. As Bubbles said, one of his lines sound a bit like Alistair but I don't think the two characters will be much alike in the end.
Anyway, have you read the other characters as well? If so, did they seem good to you?

Fairfax

Arcane
Erritis didn't have a lot of dialogue in the files when the beta first came out, but my thoughts were:

He stands out a lot next to the other companions, mostly because he's much more lighthearted.
He's very much a simpleton. Not sure if that's what some players want in a "Torment" game, but I didn't mind.
Overall I liked him and the contrast between him and the others. I think having a less grim companion was a good decision.
He's quite funny in the lines I read, but not goofy or forced.
Some examples of his tone and humour in the game:
"Oh, me? I'm just your normal, everyday hero. Well, not *normal*, I mean I'm the greatest hero who has ever lived! But don't tell the other heroes that. They get jealous and try to hurt me and sometimes they die."

"But my origins make it so much better, because I was just a farm boy, and now I'm the world's greatest hero. I bet you've never heard a story like *that* before."

(PC) "Wait, Erritis! Punching it might not be the best option!"
Erritis turns, scowling. "Punching is always the best option. Unless you can skewer. Skewering is even better." He smiles benevolently. "But please, tell me your other exciting options."

(PC) "Erritis, why is a passenger telling me that you threw her luggage off the cliff?"

"The Serpentess of a Thousand Kisses, yes. I almost miscounted, that would have cost me my life. Or my dignity. It might have cost my dignity."
"She had extremely sensitive lips and needles for teeth that would rotate on a belt. Only once every thousand kiss was safe, it was just a matter of knowing which one not to kiss."

(Dev notes, I think, no quotes or strings) Erritis is a hero because he believes himself to be so. The more heroic his actions, the more powerful and self-fulfilling they become.

And I wouldn't say he's unusual by MCA's standards, he's written stuff like this before, but it's not the usual MCA companion, specially when compared to the most recent ones.
Thanks for the answer. He seems a good concept and it's different from pretty much all the last MCA's characters, which makes things interesting. As Bubbles said, one of his lines sound a bit like Alistair but I don't think the two characters will be much alike in the end.
Anyway, have you read the other characters as well? If so, did they seem good to you?
I read a little bit of the companions that were unknown at the time (2 of which have been cut), and most of the Pat Rothfuss companion out of curiosity. It's a fantasy cliché, but very unusual for an RPG companion.
IIRC: Little girl who doesn't say much and is on the run from her captor. She has great powers that she's not fully aware of and is very valuable because of it (I think there's a couple of young adult films with that premise?). Maybe she does talk and knows more, I'm not sure. The files didn't have a lot of her dialogue.
I though it was interesting that at some point you can hand her to the person who's hunting her.

Rev

Arcane
I didn't know they cut some companions.
Rothfuss's character sounds a bit like that strange little girl from his books, I don't remember her name. I didn't find her that good, but then again so were pretty much every supporting character.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Interview in latest issue of GamesTM:

It seems a bit out of date, though. Also, he didn't meet Swen until after he'd left. :M

Fairfax

Arcane
Yeah, it seems a bit old.
That question about his departure might be the first time I've seen him openly dodge a question and give a completely unrelated reply. :lol:

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
It's not that unrelated. He clearly implies that at Obsidian he wasn't able to make an input into design, because (I guess) he was considered to be a narrative guy, not a gameplay/system guy. He makes this point almost in every interview, I think.

Ninjerk

Arcane
It's pretty direct, tbh. I don't know how else you can read that besides, "Obsidian management didn't listen to/respect me."

Fairfax

Arcane
Hmm you're right, that was poorly worded. I just found it odd how he talked about something that happened months after his departure.

Fairfax

Arcane
He got more comfortable with the topic over time, it's why I assume that interview must be several months old.
A good example:
"I wasn't happy any longer ff...uh..on...just....focusing on one thing, day after day, specially if that was...troublesome and I had no control over what was going on".

"Your perspectives narrow when you're continually in that same environment";
"As much as you might make assumptions about them, they certainly starts to make assumptions about you";
"You know, Chris could never make interface design, Chris could never explore systems, [deepens voice] what Chris does is...we want Chris to write, and if Chris starts talking, Chris should probably just write some more! [laughs] eventually you kind of just get tired of it, and I just wanted to do new things";

On a different note:

"It was weird to bring up design elements and be listened to" is something that happens in game development. He's not talking about the partners there.

I already know what Infinitron and Roguey would have to say about it (lol), but that sounds like some PoE-related stuff, as that was his main project in 2012-2015.
Perhaps Sawyer and/or Fenstermaker didn't care all that much about his feedback. :M

Ninjerk

Arcane
Well, there's clearly some antagonism between JES and him, and IIRC Fenstermaker made the call on what PoE's plot was supposed to be. MCA is on record as not having been 100% clear about how the soul recycling or w/e worked.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I already know what Infinitron and Roguey would have to say about it (lol)

What would we say? :M

I'm sure he's talking about PoE, but I don't think it's just PoE, but possibly also other projects of his that maybe never got off the ground, and various other experiences from the more distant past.

Fairfax

Arcane
I already know what Infinitron and Roguey would have to say about it (lol)

What would we say? :M

I'm sure he's talking about PoE, but I don't think it's just PoE, but possibly also other projects of his that maybe never got off the ground, and various other experiences from the more distant past.
That's in line with that I expected.

Roguey would say this:

You realize you yourself are pretty much solely responsible for the weird "Josh and Chris secretly hate each other" stuff right

:M

DeepOcean

Arcane
Great job Obsidian, ignoring the ideas of the best cRPG writer on the industry, good job, you never disappoint me.:lol:

Rake

Arcane
Great job Obsidian, ignoring the ideas of the best cRPG writer on the industry, good job, you never disappoint me.:lol:
To be fair, Sawyer's way of doing games and priorities are very different to Avellone's, and i'm p. sure they don't mess well.
So if it was the one or the other, Obsidian choose Joss'. And i can imagine Josh to ignore other's input if it came in contrast with his concious design direction. For me it was the wrong choice since i dislike Sawyers ideas, and i can't say i liked his games very much (though i don't hate them either, IWD2, FNV and POE were the definition of mediocre, good for what it is)
From an economic standpoint, they could be right or wrong, i don't think we will ever know. ( i believe NV and PoE would have sold the same number of copies regardless of their lead designer or their design direction.)

Fairfax

Arcane

I confess I never knew the "Descent" was because of the Descent engine. Using an engine that didn't even gravity doesn't like a good idea, and they probably thanked BioWare everyday for the IE.
This made me check the game's wiki page, and it also mentions a FO2 easter egg that I missed when I played it:

Interplay acknowledged this poor reception with an easter egg in the CRPG Fallout 2, released a year after Undermountain. The player may obtain a magic 8-ball item which typically dispenses advice but also has a few gag lines. One of these is "Yes, we KNOW Descent to Undermountain was crap."

It's an unfair joke, to be honest. The game is not bad at all.

Neanderthal

Arcane

I always thoought that one o his worst crimes were making Ignus into what he is, an insane arsonist, not just an evil act in itself torturing his "supplicant" but a spreading of pain and torture to all Ignus an his victims. Always figured he had something to do with Es Annon being swallowed as well, and willingly dealt with devils in Blood War.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

I always thoought that one o his worst crimes were making Ignus into what he is, an insane arsonist, not just an evil act in itself torturing his "supplicant" but a spreading of pain and torture to all Ignus an his victims. Always figured he had something to do with Es Annon being swallowed as well, and willingly dealt with devils in Blood War.

The original incarnation sought immortality to avoid going to hell when he died. It's not clear if he felt he needed to atone through good deeds more than is possible in one lifetime, or merely intended to carry on for all time.

Given how he acts and talks when you meet him in game, I'd guess the former though.

This makes MCA's tweet seem a bit weird, but maybe he knows something I don't or has forgotten with time.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Yeah but original incarnation says his crimes make other incarnations pale in comparison, i'm just guessing that three I mention were part of em, an part o reason why he were doomed to hell.

gromit

Arcane
I know it goes against the out-of-game quotes, but, I was always fond of this idea:

Whatever he did was just "pretty fucking bad," yes, but then he tried to cheat fate which is "really fucking bad" itself. And to top off your standard devil's bargain, he now had an effectively infinite amount of time to run around digging his hole even deeper, so that by the time he is you the idea of earning redemption through mortal means is just laughable.

Fits nicely with "funny, that was your first wish," and all that.

As for in-game sources... well I'm due to play through again. But the people you run into get a little dramatic about the shit you've done to them personally. The "big things" you've done happened so long ago they're slipping into legend. And are there any reliable narrators in this game?

So, you know... "it's my answer" etc etc

Last edited:

Neanderthal

Arcane
Avellone has already said the Planes ares slowly dying because of that first "crime"...

Never considered that too much on an issue, so he robs anothers life each time he dies, and creates a Shadow, compared to all lives lost in multiverse that single death is a small thing. Alright its a wound in multiverse, but its hardly serious. Then again from a personal moral standpoint obviously it can be judged to be serious shit, you're murdering innocents and condemning em to unlife so you can hang on to your existence and escape punishment, selfish, evil shit really.

I suppose thats one o themes o game innit, Nameless finally taking responsibility for harm hes unwittingly done. Alright hes shrugged off destiny and made his own fate rather than accept what multiverse demands, but his independence has harmed far too many others, nice that hes the opposite of the Chosen One trope and is a self made man but the Torment hes created in shrugging off the chains of conformity has been too high a price for freedom.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom