Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
FYI: We've learned that there's going to be a Torment presentation at Gamescom in August, probably featuring areas not included in the beta.

Jinn

Arcane
I played the character creation area of the beta, and I must say I quite like what I'm seeing. The writing is doing a good job of drawing me in and keeping me interested and the mechanics, while clearly pretty simple at this point, are fun and new enough that I probably won't end up hating them. I have high hopes for this lovely game despite earlier feeling of uncertainty.

Coma White

Educated
I played the character creation area of the beta, and I must say I quite like what I'm seeing. The writing is doing a good job of drawing me in and keeping me interested and the mechanics, while clearly pretty simple at this point, are fun and new enough that I probably won't end up hating them. I have high hopes for this lovely game despite earlier feeling of uncertainty.

More like this plz. I have steered clear of playing Early Access -- I want to play and judge the game in its final complete form. So anything like this buoys my spirits.

Jinn

Arcane
More like this plz. I have steered clear of playing Early Access -- I want to play and judge the game in its final complete form. So anything like this buoys my spirits.

Yeah, I actually had to stop myself from playing more for that very reason. I had the urge to continue onward, but I didn't want to sully the full release for myself.

Sorry if this was asked before but I am not entirely convinced : do we have scripted interactions like in PoE? I know I saw one in a let's play series but that was in January. Is there somebody that want to sell his Torment key? Or can somebody direct me to a cheaper deal? I really want this game. Thank you!

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Sorry if this was asked before but I am not entirely convinced : do we have scripted interactions like in PoE? I know I saw one in a let's play series but that was in January.

In the beta... almost but not quite. There are "meres" which are text-based mini-adventures which trigger when you're interacting with someone else's mind.

I haven't seen any scripted interactions with the enviroment like in Pillars. I think.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Scripted Interactions in Pillars only differ from text-based actions in dialogue in one manner - the UI is different. They might put more emphasis on describing actions and environments not portrayed through the area map/characters, but there is no functional difference to what the older Infinity Engine games did with dialogue.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
It didn't really occur to me just how long ago this game was kickstarted. Going to be 4 years of development when it launches. In retrospect it was really sleazy of them to kickstart this well before they could roll the manpower over from W2. I'm pretty sure it'll be good, or at least satisfactory but if it succeeds I'm mentally prepared to not get another game in this narrative vein for at least 5-6 years given BTIV, probably W3, maybe another 1-2 new projects will probably come before. And that's if inXile can make it that far.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Scripted Interactions in Pillars only differ from text-based actions in dialogue in one manner - the UI is different. They might put more emphasis on describing actions and environments not portrayed through the area map/characters, but there is no functional difference to what the older Infinity Engine games did with dialogue.
Yea but presentation is half the storytelling.

If you tell a horror story to a group of kids in a warm room is not the same as if you take them into a spooky forest in the middle of the night.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It didn't really occur to me just how long ago this game was kickstarted. Going to be 4 years of development when it launches. In retrospect it was really sleazy of them to kickstart this well before they could roll the manpower over from W2. I'm pretty sure it'll be good, or at least satisfactory but if it succeeds I'm mentally prepared to not get another game in this narrative vein for at least 5-6 years given BTIV, probably W3, maybe another 1-2 new projects will probably come before. And that's if inXile can make it that far.
Riding on the KS bubble while the hype was still around. If they did it today, or even last year, i bet they wouldnt receive as much as they made that time

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Coming in Spring 2017, also on consoles simultaneously: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-08-04-torment-tides-of-numenera-also-headed-to-ps4-xbox-one

PC role-playing game Torment: Tides of Numenera will also be released on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

Torment publisher Techland confirmed the news to our friends at Eurogamer Poland today, along with word that all three versions will launch simultaneously in spring 2017.

Torment's console port was greenlit after the success of Wasteland 2 on consoles, Brian Fargo, boss of developer inXile told EG Poland.

"Wasteland 2: Director's Cut success and the gratitude expressed by a lot of fans after this release made us begin to plan the Torment: Tides of Numenera for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One," Fargo said.

"We're especially excited to work with Techland, who - as a fellow developers - know exactly how to execute such a release without compromising the quality."

Console versions of the game will get their public debut at Gamescom in Cologne, in just under two weeks.

Back in June we heard word of Torment's delay into next year (it was originally set for the end of 2016). At the time, inXile stated the extra time would be used for polish and to translate the game's wordy script into multiple languages.

"I believe there's something special here, something unusual, something different," Eurogamer's Poland correspondent Bertie reported when he played Torment back in February. "Not since Planescape: Torment has a role-playing game sparked my imagination in the same way."

Fry

Arcane
It looks like it's full 3D.

I'ts not. Same pre-rendered 2D as Pillars.

I'm amazed WL2 sold well enough on consoles for them to bother with that again.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Sounds like a Dragon Age: Origins type of situation, with the old project lead leaving before the console ports are announced.

I know that some console publishers outright require their developers to offer DLC, so it'll be interesting to see how that shakes out with Techland.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Sounds like a Dragon Age: Origins type of situation, with the old project lead leaving before the console ports are announced.

I don't think Kevin's choice to leave was solely his, although he was going to leave after Torment was completed anyhow.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Bets on how long it will take before we get Wasteland: Rangers Of Steel, a console exclusive that we HAVE to buy to get Wasteland 3 done?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can now reveal that we've known about this since last month. More at Gamescom.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom