Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

nomask7

Arcane
Internet opinion would be more accurate. DS2 will not pass the test of time. It took me a long while to figure it out, but the game has some serious problems in terms of boss and level design. Not to mention that its lore ultimately is entirely disconnected from the rest of the series...

Actually, both codex and presumably internet opinion are pretty much exactly divided on the question:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/dark-souls-ii-poll.97592/

According to this poll that I did a year ago, half of the people think that Dark Souls II is better than or as good as Dark Souls.

Now fuck off with your smug know-it-all bullshit. It's a great game by any existing standards.

nomask7

Arcane
I do but then this is not the way DaS3 was meant to be played.

Level Vigor to 27, google for high AR weapon, maximize your build AR, summon a NPC, beat the shit out of the Dancer and then come to codex to laugh about scrubs. That's they way it is meant to be played.

As you can see, it's all about skill.

I used +6 Heavy Greataxe wielded with both hands (I had to change tactics to win). I forgot to use battle cry though. I got to a point of one-hit-to-win at least four times before I actually managed to beat it. It was a battle of good luck and bad luck, which didn't feel like was the case with the other bosses. This one felt more like something that should have been an optional super boss.

I had vigor of about 22 if I recall right. Usually I go through these games without putting a single point in vigor (except in Bloodborne where the efficacy of your health vials scale to HP). Seems like a good idea to put some points into vigor in this game though.

There are reportedly no summons for this battle (and I couldn't find any either), except apparently if you do it in early game.

Last edited:

nomask7

Arcane
Great argument.

As good as his. The opinions of both of us are backed up by personal experience with the game, and that's it. You can say the levels are badly designed and I've said they're mostly good and sometimes superb. There's no argument beyond that that either of us can make.

Both views are also about as popular as opinions here. Which side is being retarded curmudgeons and nitpickers is easy to see if you're the kind of person for whom such things are easy to see.

Dark Souls II is a fine game indeed. I don't find hate it gets to be rational, it's not like we have so many better games to choose from nowadays. Don't have much issues with level design either, areas are still fun to explore despite not being interconnected.

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
I find it very hard to dislike DS2, despite all its flaws and valid arguments about its shortcomings. It had good atmosphere, nice locations, I liked Majula's music and the story of the fallen king. DS1 is probably my favorite but still.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Dark Souls II is a fine game indeed. I don't find hate it gets to be rational, it's not like we have so many better games to choose from nowadays. Don't have much issues with level design either, areas are still fun to explore despite not being interconnected.

I guess people have the same love/hate relationship with DS2 as with DS3. It's still a fine game, definitely the best action game by a country mile, and you're having a blast playing it. But at the same time you can't overlook the laziness and wasted potential as compared to DS1.

Higher Animal

Arcane
Dark Souls 3 looks to be the game in the series that is nobody's favorite, but not the worst. Kind of like Alien 3.

Silva

Arcane
I don't know what's worse: to be shitty with gusto like DS2 - but at least having some memorable qualities like PvP, Majula, build variety, etc. Or to be all around "ok" like DS3.

Silva

Arcane
What's good about Majula except sunlight and music?
Majula is the most beautiful and awe-inspiring hub in the series. It's music and aesthetics perfectly evokes the game themes of oblivion and lost of self, as do their NPCs progression.

DS3 hub pales in comparison. In fact, thinking now, DS3 hub may well be the worst in the series.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I don't know what's worse: to be shitty with gusto like DS2 - but at least having some memorable qualities like PvP, Majula, build variety, etc. Or to be all around "ok" like DS3.

DS2 was ass. DS3 is good.

The bosses, like Aldrich and Ponitiff, are far more memorable than DS2 shit.

sullynathan

Arcane
They did it, they finally nerfed the dark sword

Regulation Version 1.09 - July 1st
JUNE 30 - KIMUNDI
Ashen Ones,

The regulation version 1.09 will be deployed on July 1st.

The update will not require any patch or maintenance.

Please find below the full list of changes included in this version:
  • All Dagger weapons: increased critical attack power.
  • Dark Sword: reduced weapon efficiency.
  • Anri’s Straight Sword: reduced scaling effects.
  • Wolnir’s Holy Sword: added faith scaling and adjusted weapon efficiency accordingly.
  • Crescent Moon Sword: added intelligence scaling and adjusted weapon efficiency accordingly.
  • Morne’s Great Hammer: added faith scaling and adjusted weapon efficiency accordingly.
  • Lothric’s Holy Sword: added faith scaling and adjusted weapon efficiency accordingly.
  • Yorshka’s Spear: increased FP damage effects.
  • Scholar’s Candlestick: reduced sorcery-strengthening properties
  • Demon’s Fist: reduced weight.
  • Greatsword of Judgement: increased attack power.
  • Heysel’s Pick: increased intelligence scaling.
  • All shield-piercing weapons: added shield-piercing properties to regular attacks.
  • All Skills that enchant a weapon with special properties: extended length of effect.
  • Obscuring Ring: increased distance at which ring takes effect.
  • Hornet Ring: adjusted efficiency.
  • Black Serpent: adjusted tracking.
  • Lightning Stake: now requires 1 attunement slot.
  • Magic Barrier/Great Magic Barrier: extended length of effect.
  • Divine Pillars of Light: increased attack power.
  • White Dragon Breath: reduced stamina consumption.
  • All Bug Pellet items: extended length of effect.
  • Addressed other game balance issues and fixed other flaws.

What's good about Majula except sunlight and music?
Majula is the most beautiful and awe-inspiring hub in the series. It's music and aesthetics perfectly evokes the game themes of oblivion and lost of self, as do their NPCs progression.

DS3 hub pales in comparison. In fact, thinking now, DS3 hub may well be the worst in the series.
:nocountryforshitposters:

Grimlorn

Arcane
They did it, they finally nerfed the dark sword

Regulation Version 1.09 - July 1st
JUNE 30 - KIMUNDI
Ashen Ones,

The regulation version 1.09 will be deployed on July 1st.

The update will not require any patch or maintenance.

Please find below the full list of changes included in this version:
  • All Dagger weapons: increased critical attack power.
  • Dark Sword: reduced weapon efficiency.
  • Anri’s Straight Sword: reduced scaling effects.
  • Wolnir’s Holy Sword: added faith scaling and adjusted weapon efficiency accordingly.
  • Crescent Moon Sword: added intelligence scaling and adjusted weapon efficiency accordingly.
  • Morne’s Great Hammer: added faith scaling and adjusted weapon efficiency accordingly.
  • Lothric’s Holy Sword: added faith scaling and adjusted weapon efficiency accordingly.
  • Yorshka’s Spear: increased FP damage effects.
  • Scholar’s Candlestick: reduced sorcery-strengthening properties
  • Demon’s Fist: reduced weight.
  • Greatsword of Judgement: increased attack power.
  • Heysel’s Pick: increased intelligence scaling.
  • All shield-piercing weapons: added shield-piercing properties to regular attacks.
  • All Skills that enchant a weapon with special properties: extended length of effect.
  • Obscuring Ring: increased distance at which ring takes effect.
  • Hornet Ring: adjusted efficiency.
  • Black Serpent: adjusted tracking.
  • Lightning Stake: now requires 1 attunement slot.
  • Magic Barrier/Great Magic Barrier: extended length of effect.
  • Divine Pillars of Light: increased attack power.
  • White Dragon Breath: reduced stamina consumption.
  • All Bug Pellet items: extended length of effect.
  • Addressed other game balance issues and fixed other flaws.

Ivan

Arcane
sums up my feelings about DS3

it's what i expected it to be. not many surprises. combat was a loose mix of bloodborne and dark souls', i.e. off footing. i really hope they "go crazy" with the DLC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom