Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Tyranny Gameplay Snippets on Twitch E3 2016 Broadcast

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm trying to watch the video, but I'm hating the hosts. Can someone tell if the combat system will be the same as the one in PoE, or are they making any improvements?

Short answer: There are no combat videos yet.

Long answer: From what we know right now, depending on what exactly you disliked about Pillars of Eternity combat, this could be better for you or it could be worse.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
It won't have engagements at least I guess?

We know Tranny has cooldowns so in that it'll already be different from PoE.

Weasel
Yes, too soon to form a conclusive judgement, but at least they're dropping substantial hints so we can manage our expectations:

Vl5qZVZ.jpg

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
To all the people complaining about upwards level scaling, BG 2 has quite a bit of this and I've never seen a complaint about it.

As long as it's well done and not Oblivion's "all common highway bandits have the best light armor in the game" kind of deal, it shouldn't be a problem.

Sannom

Augur
Otherwise, it looks like Real Time with Pause, which definitely will put some people off. I cannot tell if there is an engagement type system or not.
Brian mentioned taunts in the interview, so I'm thinking that there won't be an engagement-like system.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Otherwise, it looks like Real Time with Pause, which definitely will put some people off. I cannot tell if there is an engagement type system or not.
Brian mentioned taunts in the interview, so I'm thinking that there won't be an engagement-like system.
Interesting, I totally missed that. Initially, I thought Tyranny would turn into PoE 1.5, but it may end up being rather different.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
To all the people complaining about upwards level scaling, BG 2 has quite a bit of this and I've never seen a complaint about it.

I'm pretty positive it's going to be "enemies get more levels" scaling as opposed to BG2's replacing-creatures-with-higher-level-creatures. Levels-as-a-way-to-simulate-a-verisimilar-world people are going to be mad, but it's business as usual for Obsidian to not care about such matters.

Sannom

Augur
Interesting, I totally missed that. Initially, I thought Tyranny would turn into PoE 1.5, but it may end up being rather different.
It was a rather quick mention. It's when he mentions that some characters would fit tank roles or healing or support, etc.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It should already have been obvious from the character system update that this wasn't PoE 1.5: http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=10295

We did some analysis of the attribute system and its differences from PoE in the thread. (I like the guy who accused it of being "another dumbed down no dump stats system". A classless RPG with no dump stats, you don't say!)

Last edited:

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Scaling is a red flag and an awful sin. Just don't level scale. Level scaling can barely be done right and even if, what's more satisfying than coming back and beating up the assholes who killed you when you were level 1?

Screw level scaling :?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Level scaling was patched into Pillars due to demand. :)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Level scaling was patched into Pillars due to demand. :)

Optional level scaling.

We should consider what the existence of level scaling could possibly tell us about the game's structure. A non-linear "four starmaps" main quest structure that you can pursue in any order, so there's level scaling to make that possible. Not a large game, and certainly not open world, so there's not much room to leave in optional "tough encounters that you can go back to and defeat later on". It could even have "mission"-oriented quests that don't allow you to revisit areas.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
Talking of combat scaling, this thing is necessary if you have too much of accelerated progression. Generally, a deep pitfall for most D&D based and like game systems with leveling.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.

As long as it's well done and not Oblivion's "all common highway bandits have the best light armor in the game" kind of deal, it shouldn't be a problem.

How so? The vast majority of encounters were hand made.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
Scaling is a red flag and an awful sin. Just don't level scale. Level scaling can barely be done right and even if, what's more satisfying than coming back and beating up the assholes who killed you when you were level 1?

Screw level scaling :?
This.

Why gamdevs continue to put this garbage in RPG's is baffling. Oh wait it's not, it's just sheer laziness. Playing Gothic 1/2 should be a must for all gamdevs.

Mustawd

Game looks p. good. Too bad it RTwP. Will wait remake in the new ToEE+ engine.

Mustawd

TL;DR.

Level editor was found in potato version of ToEE. Some codexers have been using it to fix bugs and stuff. It's been speculated that Co8, ToEE modders, have knjown this all along and leveraged it to make their mods. Currently, Co8 is apparently developing a remake of Icewind Dale (a game I've never played due to RTwP bullshit). I can only assume that it's similar functionality to what the codexers here have developed with ToEE+.

So if someone had writing, coding, and art skills, one could presumably remake any stupid RTwP game using the level editor I'm referring to.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/project-temple-released.98904/

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom