Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why do these prominent Obsidian devs love Bethesda's garbage?

So why do they love Bethesda's trash?

• Total voters

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Because in the games industry you have to commit to sucking each others dick and bending over at every opportunity unless you want publishers to stop talking to you.
Sounds just like academia and the politics sphere.

Or pretty much any other fairly "closed", self-entitled ( :smug: ), elitist clique, really.

badler

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
Because in the games industry you have to commit to sucking each others dick and bending over at every opportunity unless you want publishers to stop talking to you.

It's not that simple. Lots of "bad" games have elements that worth experiencing and understanding. Even if that is just so you don't make the same mistakes you think they are making.

Sometimes a developer puts in tons of time into a game because they love it. Sometimes it is just for research purposes. Sometimes it's a mixture of both.

Hugh Vagoth

Educated

It's not that simple. Lots of "bad" games have elements that worth experiencing and understanding. Even if that is just so you don't make the same mistakes you think they are making.

Sometimes a developer puts in tons of time into a game because they love it. Sometimes it is just for research purposes. Sometimes it's a mixture of both.
Is this Obsidians way of admitting that FO4 sucks ass and that you would gladly make a proper Fallout game with good RPG mechanics, good writing, C&C and turn based combat?:incline:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I imagine most people at Obsidian think Fallout 4 is a good game. Grognards, they are not.

badler

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer

Is this Obsidians way of admitting that FO4 sucks ass and that you would gladly make a proper Fallout game with good RPG mechanics, good writing, C&C and turn based combat?:incline:

Speaking more to my point, I think that there is an assumption that because a developer plays a game (even for long stretches) that they love/condone everything about it. What I am saying is that I think it would be pretty irresponsible for a game developer (particularly designers, programmers, and producers) to refuse to play a popular game in a genre in which they are making games.

That being said, I am a hypocrite because there are a few pretty popular games that I have only put a few hours into because they can't keep my attention.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Theres usually one or two good features even in latest popamole trash, that Dead Space 3 for instance, co-op had one player seeing shit that weren't appearing on screen o other one, right mindfuck and someat that I reckon could really fit in a group RPG. Imagine you take control o another character than protag, and screen changes, all kinda shit appears and does weird shit that no other character is seeing, be really good for a fucking psycho character or someone who sees a bit too much like Grieving Mother in Poe say.

I think even in most vanilla, dull games theres devs who have a creative vision and want to do some incline stuff, but earning their corn and looking after leeches is obviously higher on priority, as I suppose it should be.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I think it would be pretty irresponsible for a game developer (particularly designers, programmers, and producers) to refuse to play a popular game in a genre in which they are making games.

Funny you should say that, considering Pillars could have benefited quite a bit had Josh Sawyer bothered to try out the Dragon Age games (even 2, with its attempt at ~class balance~ and enemies lacking immunities). :)

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter
Since when bethesda garbage is in the genre of any Obsidian game? Maybe Fallout New Vegas, but still.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Since when bethesda garbage is in the genre of any Obsidian game? Maybe Fallout New Vegas, but still.

Feargus Urquhart's episodic Skyrim.

Also a generally good idea to see how other people handle character building/customization.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Josh Sawyer now has over 100 hours sunk into Fallout 4, beating his Skyrim record. If Bethesda releases a goty version with everything on the discs (the current one only has 5 gb, you have to download the other 20 :lol:), maybe I ought to check it out myself.

Meanwhile, Tim hasn't bothered revisiting it. He does have over 90 hours of Underrail logged yeeeeeeeeeeeet virtually no achievements (he killed one robot and opened three locks). Like he just left it running in the background.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I'm laughing at the comment exposing all those "highly regarded" Codex members playing and buying Fallout: 4. Decline this and shit game that, but they're still out there buying it on day 1.

So the Codex is not just full of neckbeards and fat-backs, it's also full of hypocrites?

hqdefault.jpg

Beastro

Arcane
A lot of people in this thread acting like snobby fine food connoisseurs shocked to learn they all enjoy a bit of fast food here and there.

LizardWizard

Cipher
A lot of people in this thread acting like snobby fine food connoisseurs shocked to learn they all enjoy a bit of fast food here and there.

There's fast food and then there is unredeemable diarrhea like McDonalds/TacoBell. Big difference.

Unwanted

GameGear

Unwanted

Food analogies about video games are worse than Hitler.

Sure. I happen to be one of them. In particular I enjoy a good Adventure game, FPS, or TBS.
My chief problems with FO3 had very little to do with its genre, but we're a result of outright bad writing, bland level, world, and art design, and some of the worst gunplay I've ever encountered in a game.

I think FO3 was an impressively bad game, but implying I would only make that claim because I only enjoy hardcore RPGs (admittedly my favorite genre) is absurd.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom