Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
How much damage does Exothermic Aura do?

It does deal good damage but a bit tricky to use (especially near allies...[like most of the psi ablities...]) If you are looking for a damage spell, cryokinetic orb paired with pyrokinesis is your best combo. Add thermo destabilaztion to the mix for further explosions.

bati

Scholar
Has anyone found a way to unlock that 'stuck switch' door in the lower underrail caverns? I think it's pretty close if you enter from the easternmost tunnel. I thought it might be related to one of the factions in Core City but I've now done all 3 (Coretech in EA, so my memory is a little fuzzy on them) and I don't remember ever having to go there.

Mystary!

Arcane
Do you need to kill the Beast in a specific way, like what the wiki describes? I whacked it with a sledgehammer but no one acknowledges it...

Zetor

Arcane
Has anyone found a way to unlock that 'stuck switch' door in the lower underrail caverns? I think it's pretty close if you enter from the easternmost tunnel. I thought it might be related to one of the factions in Core City but I've now done all 3 (Coretech in EA, so my memory is a little fuzzy on them) and I don't remember ever having to go there.
It becomes accessible via a Protectorate mission.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Fishing is not hiking or camping, don't strawman this. Fishing by itself is numbingly boring. At least in this game you lose few minutes to it, not hours like in RL.

"Don't strawman this?" Do you even know what that word means?

"Fishing is mind-numbingly boring" is purely subjective, nothing more than an opinion, and it's a rather stupid one because it fails to take into account the temperaments and experiences of other human beings. I don't like sports very much (unless there's a major tournament on), but I realize that people who grew up watching a lot of sports, whose fathers took them to the ball game, etc. very much like watching, following, and discussing sports.

That's not a strawman at all. These are examples and comparisons that make sense. Millions of people genuinely enjoy spectating sports, regardless of whether or not you do. Similarly, millions of people genuinely enjoy fishing, and not just fishing with powerboats and tons of expensive gadgets, either.

Lord Andre

Arcane
How much damage does Exothermic Aura do?

It does deal good damage but a bit tricky to use (especially near allies...[like most of the psi ablities...]) If you are looking for a damage spell, cryokinetic orb paired with pyrokinesis is your best combo. Add thermo destabilaztion to the mix for further explosions.

Premeditation + Psionic Mania + Cryo orb is pretty good. It one shots shielded enemies that would otherwise tank a min-maxed sniper aimed shot and with better consistency than a burst. However there were a few times when I landed a cryo orb next to an enemy and somehow 0 shards hit. Not because of "misses", the game just computed that the shards' trajectories never intersected the target. This becomes more frequent when an enemy goes from occupying 1 square to occupying a 2X2 square area in which case I find landing the orb diagonally from the 2x2 square more efficient.

Elthosian

Arcane
I've found Cryo Orb one-shots shielded enemies in quite a reliable manner even without Psionic Mania, although admittedly I sometimes regret choosing the opposite branch of psi feats, having 25 extra max points doesn't sound as awesome as guaranteed criticals.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
I've found Cryo Orb one-shots shielded enemies in quite a reliable manner even without Psionic Mania, although admittedly I sometimes regret choosing the opposite branch of psi feats, having 25 extra max points doesn't sound as awesome as guaranteed criticals.

You forget -5 AP on spells with full hp.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
It would probably be somewhat more helpful to have Psychosis in the very late game as opposed to Tranquility, but throughout most of the game (above DC) I found that predictability, efficiency, and longevity of Tranquility was more than sufficient to deal with enemies, and there were long stretches (dozens and dozens of hours) when I almost never had to use a single psi booster.

Once I branched out into Stealth and had crafted an absurdly strong energy shield, I was able to take advantage of the -5 AP cost very reliably indeed.

You can combine Trance, Focus Stim, and Neuroscopic Filter to achieve a respectably high crit rate even on the Tranquility path, albeit at the cost of expending more psi.

Tigranes

Arcane
Is Cryogenic Induction worth it? I tried taking it at level 10 but I couldn't see how I'd ever deal 50%> mechanical or cold damage to an enemy. I don't know what high level psi powers are coming up. Metathermics just doesn't seem very good early on.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Is Cryogenic Induction worth it? I tried taking it at level 10 but I couldn't see how I'd ever deal 50%> mechanical or cold damage to an enemy. I don't know what high level psi powers are coming up. Metathermics just doesn't seem very good early on.

Nah man, I've skipped all the Metathermics feats. No enemy should live so long that I should need to stack like five cold spells on it anyway, and if it's really that strong then there are other strategies available.

Now that I'm level 23, I've realized that I almost never use Metathermics skills. They tend to be highly situational/potentially self-damaging/resisted by the enemy du jour. Thought Control and Psychokinesis can simply lock down and devastate entire groups of enemies without any assistance from Metathermics. Cryostasis is a good incapacitating skill, but costs six million psi points, so I almost never use it.

However, I remember Metathermics being a lot more useful (or at least, I used it more) in the early and part of the middle game, and it's important to get the Cerebral Trauma feat for Neural Overload if skipping Metathermics entirely. Along with Cryokinesis and Force Emission, it's one of the three "basic attack" psi abilities, and it bypasses all shields and armor.

Yeah, Neural Overload (or as I call it, Nerve Staple) has 100% accuracy, good range, bypasses armor and shields, is silent, and is rarely resisted very much by Resolve. Therefore, it's immensely superior to the entire crossbows category. :troll:

It's one of the earliest and simplest psi skills, and it's the shit throughout the game.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Fishing is not hiking or camping, don't strawman this. Fishing by itself is numbingly boring. At least in this game you lose few minutes to it, not hours like in RL.

"Don't strawman this?" Do you even know what that word means?

"Fishing is mind-numbingly boring" is purely subjective, nothing more than an opinion, and it's a rather stupid one because it fails to take into account the temperaments and experiences of other human beings. I don't like sports very much (unless there's a major tournament on), but I realize that people who grew up watching a lot of sports, whose fathers took them to the ball game, etc. very much like watching, following, and discussing sports.

That's not a strawman at all. These are examples and comparisons that make sense. Millions of people genuinely enjoy spectating sports, regardless of whether or not you do. Similarly, millions of people genuinely enjoy fishing, and not just fishing with powerboats and tons of expensive gadgets, either.
While I am not a native English speaker the explanation of strawman I found online says I used it correctly in this case. Fishing does not equal hiking, camping or other outdoorsman stuff. While both happen outdoors and CAN happen in nature they are nowhere near enough so you can equate them and then use that as a valid argument.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
While I am not a native English speaker the explanation of strawman I found online says I used it correctly in this case. Fishing does not equal hiking, camping or other outdoorsman stuff. While both happen outdoors and CAN happen in nature they are nowhere near enough so you can equate them and then use that as a valid argument.

I suppose this is why you have a
possibly_retarded.png
tag.

I'm not misrepresenting your argument in any way. I'm comparing fishing to other forms of outdoorsmanship and to forms of entertainment sometimes considering boring by the uninitiated. You don't have to agree with the comparisons, although frankly it's ridiculous not to as they are appropriate and self-evident. A comparison needn't equal/be the same as the things to which it's being compared.

It thoroughly puts paid to your subjective argument, so I can see why you're trying to worm your way out of it.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
My entire Fort Clown Car loot haul, minus mechanically locked containers (some shitty boots, helmets, sledgehammers, knives, etc. have been converted into repair kits and used):

2eddd85abb.png
370c8ac2f8.png
fee34e9133.png

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
My entire Fort Clown Car loot haul, minus mechanically locked containers (some shitty boots, helmets, sledgehammers, knives, etc. have been converted into repair kits and used):

2eddd85abb.png
370c8ac2f8.png
fee34e9133.png
Jesus, is that 80 advanced hypos? @_@ Do enemies carry that many healing consumables or do you just nuke them from stealth before they can respond?

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape

2eddd85abb.png
370c8ac2f8.png
fee34e9133.png
Jesus, is that 80 advanced hypos? @_@ Do enemies carry that much healing consumables or just nuke them from stealth before they can respond?

I don't think it is just the Fort haul. Because D5 containers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom