Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Bloody hell, work never ends. I'll get back in here as soon as I'm done, which should be soon. Also need to finish playing Rance 03 and Monquest Paradox but that can wait.

Nevertheless, treave, have you considered doing a short CYOA work for ChoiceofGames? I'm sure you would be able to write a good story with little issues.

I definitely don't have the time at the moment. A short piece might be interesting in the future, but honestly I'd want to have an editor for this sorta thing.

lightbane

Arcane
Nevill
Well, personally I believe there are several degrees of "evil". For example, Dio's sociopathic, "sacrifice everything for personal gain" nature is standard "smart evil". It's quite boring because his behavior is the regular one that all noble-blooded and the aristocratic scum have.

Meanwhile, there was that LOLCHAOS EVILLL cult, complete with human sacrifices, casual cruelty, fanaticism and a literally monstrous leader with no redeeming qualities. It was so over-the-top that it became quite hilarious for me (although I'm not sure what the deal was about them, since they eventually faded into the background and were barely mentioned anymore). By the way, why was that kid batshit insane? And why was Shulgi turned into a wolf?

In Erdrick's case, pretty much everything he has done so far in his life (both before and after his "angelic transformation") was done because he wanted something else in exchange. The closest thing to doing something for goodness' sake, expecting nothing in return, was the act of saving the twins. Even then, the general consensus was to kidnap adopt them into our forces, waiting for the day they become adults and thus more capable.

Anyway, the missing chapter in the CYOA press conversion is chapter 6.18, from Book 1, the aftermath of the infamous Sinistar "Sphere diplomacy": https://rawgit.com/sissbruecker/cyoa-press/master/books/epic-book-1/out/complete.html#112

There's simply no text here, only a link with the Codex's equivalent page. By the way, many thanks for your information, I didn't know I could do that with the chapter titles. :incline:

Monquest Paradox

*Casts Google*

Monster Girl Quest: Paradox is a trioligy game series made by Torotoro Resistance. It is the sequel to the original Monster Girl Quest trilogy, but it's exact relation to the original is currently unknown due to its alternate universe status and the implications of parallel world travel paradoxes in its plot. Like its predecessor, there are a planned total of three parts... [...] Monster(girls) can be recruited. At high Affection values, Companions will give gifts to Luka and will take "Requests" from Luka. [...] One of the game's monsters is a pink slime.
:negative: Oh dear, Erdrick is going to have a treat, isn't he? Chances are that sooner or later, he'll get way more than he bargained for.:lol: :lol:

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The Black Slime Attacks

Without warning, you hurl a bolt of ice at Quekquek. The bluish-white orb streaks towards the black slimelord… and fizzles harmlessly upon contact with the firm jelly. Quekquek laughs a jiggling laugh, throwing his featureless head back. “Naïve! Did you think that would work? Puny magic. My body is immune! So, have chosen sides?”

The slime possesses some form of invulnerability to magic: you do not think it is a trait that you can overpower with sheer magical might. It may be similar to Globe of Invulnerability, in that you would need to use a more complex spell to overcome his defenses. What a pain. “Between a beautiful slime queen and… well, whatever disgusting thing you are, it was a foregone conclusion as to which side I would pick,” you say, scratching your chin. “Perhaps if you turn into a cute girl and beg for your life now I might let you go.”

The black slime laughs again. “You think I am as weak? As my offshoots? Do not underestimate Quekquek! I thought you wiser.”

You throw another Icebolt at him. As before, it does not work.

“Too scared? Is that all?” taunts Quekquek. He raises himself up high, gelatinous muscles stretching and flexing. “My turn!” With surprising speed, Quekquek pours forward, the pressure of the jelly concentrating into a battering ram headed right for you.

Time for a slightly more powerful spell. Your magic coalesces, condensing into a large white orb. A biting cold emanates from the orb, as if it contained the essence of winter itself. Focusing your will, you launch it at the incoming slime. It hits Quekquek head on and shatters. Immediately, a freezing wave bursts out from the point of impact as the energies trapped within the orb are set free. The blades of grass beneath the slime turn rigid and shatter. The frost wave spills over the spring, instantly creating a layer of ice wherever it passes. Somewhere at your back, Aria, still wearing nothing but a cloak, yelps at the sudden drop in temperature and hides behind Lucy. The slime queen Brunnen shivers, retreating as far as she can. Quekquek himself is turned into a statue of ice, stopped dead in his tracks by the Iceball you had just cast.

Not for long, though.

With a roar, he breaks free, his form twisting and changing. The ice cracks and shatters, unable to contain Quekquek. His muscular arms lengthen and multiply in number, each limb ending in enormous claws. Solid obsidian crystals form on the surface of the jelly and begin to spread all over his head, chest and limbs, forming armour similar to that worn by the slime queen. Growling, Quekquek hunches over, black wings erupting from his back. What a slime would do with wings, you don’t know, but as the slimelord beats his chest and roars defiantly at you, you fire two more Iceballs at him.

Deep within the black jelly, there is a bubbling and a flash of red. One of Quekquek’s hands folds in on itself until it has formed something akin to a tube. From inside, a stream of liquid fire pours out, splashing across your icy orbs and causing them to evaporate in a puff of steam. At the same time, numerous small vents form all over Quekquek’s wings, small openings that look like eyes. A sickly purple mist begins to pour forth from the vents. It spreads, curling and expanding lazily.

“No! Dangerous. If it touches you… terrible poison. You will die!” warns Brunnen. Stretching her arms towards the mist, she begins to emit a similar mist that floods the entire clearing, except coloured a pale gold. It mingles with the purple, and you see miniscule sparks flashing wherever the two mists meet. “I will contain! Negate! Hurry, stop him!” pleads the slime queen.

“Useless! It is all useless!” gloats Quekquek. “You will all die here!” Making more of his baseless threats, he charges towards you, his ends of his now countless arms morphing into huge, club-like protrusions. They whip around, moving like an army of agitated snakes, and slam to the ground in a swift flurry of powerful attacks that tear up and shake the earth. It is a powerful attack that could overcome your defensive spells due to the sheer number of strikes delivered in a short period of time.

That is why you have circled around behind Quekquek, using the Shadow-Slaughtering Demon Steps.

“So, Barbatos, what do you think?” you ask.

“You and the slimelord should stand your ground and punch each other silly, of course. Nothing builds character like a slugfest. Especially with a durable one such as this, he could stay in the fight long enough that you might even learn a new technique or two!”

“I hate pain, just so you know.”

“Well, then you might have to get a little serious for this one, boy.”

You duck as Quekquek whirls around, sending his arms – no, they look more like tentacles now – slicing over your head. You count all the ways you can get a little serious. All of them involve the devastation of a large part of the forest.

A. You treat Quekquek as a training exercise, dragging out the battle. You do not get a lot of chances to practice on something that won’t die easily.

1. You practice the martial skills you have obtained from Barbatos’s Gauntlet. Closing in, you begin to pummel the slime with your fists. You are not going to stand there and engage in a slugging match like Barbatos said, but he has a point about learning new techniques.

2. You empower your Sword with Gigadyne, allowing you to harm Quekquek directly. You should put your sword training to more use once in a while. Chopping him into little pieces will be cathartic, and you might figure out new things you can do with a sword.

3. You try different combinations of spells on Quekquek, trying to find something that will work on the rampaging slimelord. Nothing too destructive, of course, you don’t want to destroy the clearing, but perhaps you may find a more surgical way of using your offensive magic.

---

B. You get a little serious. Extending the fight longer than it has to be is just a massive pain. You make a move to end it with little effort on your part.

1. You cast an Ice Storm at full power, bombarding the clearing with enormous icicles that will turn the area into a frozen wasteland. Once he is slowed down, you will smash the frozen Quekquek and grind him into little pieces with a Tornado spell.

2. You call down a Thunder Dragon and have it combat Quekquek. It would be a good way to see just how strong your dragon is in comparison to the monsters of this world, although the collateral damage would be high.

3. You use a high-powered Gigadyne on the slimelord. You need to cut loose once in a while too.

---

C. It's Aria's time to shine. Her, and Lucy too. Taking down a slimelord would be an educational experience for them. Of course, you will be cheering for them from the sidelines - you might even give them a bit of help - but they will be taking the starring role in this battle. Why else would you bring them along?

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I know of a competent editor who lives in the US. She might be interested, and I could put you in touch, should you want to, treave?

Not at the moment, no. I'm barely managing to update a single CYOA regularly as it is. :|

By the way, why was that kid batshit insane? And why was Shulgi turned into a wolf?

Some people are just born twisted. That, coupled with the boon of apparent superpowers, makes things really go to their head.

Also Shulgi is obviously a tryhard by nature and thought being a wolf was Cool with a capital C.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That added C... :lol: Yeah, a naked teenager on a cow is just the thing for a midboss fight.

I don't really want to leave evidence of our visit here for the scouts to find. Is that a concern, treave? Or are we bound to end up with scorched earth anyway?

Tentatively leaning to A3, a more elegant way of using our power would be nice.

The queen asks us to hurry, though. How does the poison battle progress? Do we see any signs that we are on a time limit?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I don't really want to leave evidence of our visit here for the scouts to find. Is that a concern, treave? Or are we bound to end up with scorched earth anyway?

Any of the A choices won't reveal much. B choices will leave clues that a really epic battle took place here, or at least it would seem that way. But on the other hand, you don't run the risk of anything going wrong in the short-term by ending it as quickly as you can be bothered to.

Had the choices gone differently, e.g. mediating with the rookie knights, or saving all of them, it's possible that they might have been here right now.

The queen asks us to hurry, though. How does the poison battle progress? Do we see any signs that we are on a time limit?

You can't tell. You don't have the expertise. The queen doesn't really know how long she can hold out either. If you brought Zayan along, she would be able to calculate it though. :M

Nevill

Arcane
B choices will leave clues that a really epic battle took place here, or at least it would seem that way.
What about B1? The ice would melt, no? What other clues would be left there? Withered grass?

You can't tell. You don't have the expertise.
What about the slime queen? Can't she tell us?

Or do you mean to say she already did?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
What about B1? The ice could melt, no? What other clues would be left there? Withered grass?

Even if you melt the ice there'll be craters from the icicle impacts, not to mention the Tornado spell would clear out most of the surviving trees in the spring's immediate vicinity, and then some.

Nevill

Arcane
And how does Erdrick want to use his Gygadine? Like he did with the Minotaur Lord?

Nevill

Arcane
Also, does the All Clear spell we've learned protect from Poison?

It is a status effect... :M

Speaking of which, its description is missing on the front page.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
And how does Erdrick want to use his Gygadine? Like he did with the Minotaur Lord?

He would try something along the level he used against Rin back in the prologue, maybe a bit higher.

Also, does the All Clear spell we've learned protect from Poison?

It is a status effect... :M

You don't see why it wouldn't work to cure poison, provided that it is magical in origin, but you would have to cast it after it has already been inflicted. It clears status ailments, it doesn't protect against them in advance.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
B2.

Let's release our dragon once in a while. Or at least spell that contain it.

Also, Treave - your avatar make me think that it is good idea to have Chaos around.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
He would try something along the level he used against Rin back in the prologue, maybe a bit higher.
How much environmental destruction are we talking about? If I recall correctly, we've only destroyed a couple of doors in the Demon castle with it.

I kind of worry about not hurting the colored slimes. The Ice Storm would obviously leave them alive (or at least, it should), but the Dragon and Gigadyne I am not sure about.

I know, they are a hivemind and all, and probably not really sensitive to losses, but we need to preserve our recruits. We've already did a number on the gobbos.

I guess now I understand why they would relocate. No spring, no forest... 'No more terrible disaster could befall your people than for them to fall into the hands of a Hero', indeed. :lol:

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
How much environmental destruction are we talking about? If I recall correctly, we've only destroyed a couple of doors in the Demon castle with it.

That was a pretty damn sturdy, high-level, legendary Gate of the Dark Lord, built to be able to keep out an army. You'll burn down a good part of the forest, but...

I guess now I understand why they would relocate. No spring, no forest... 'No more terrible disaster could befall your people than for them to fall into the hands of a Hero', indeed. :lol:

Yes, since the plan was to relocate the slimes anyway, environmental preservation isn't the highest priority on your list for any choice.

Nevill

Arcane
Ah, well. Ice them all, then. B1>A1. :salute:

Don't want to use our lightning magic. Even though an old man who is a mighty caster with a teenage girl sidekick is not very conspicuous, there may still be doubts about what happened here or what we really are. I don't want to give our enemies a forewarning about our specialty, the Lightning magic.

I guess once they start encountering slimes near the ruins where there weren't any, even the most dense of the lot would start connecting the dots.

Failing that, fisting him to death is a fine alternative.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Come one people, lets make Erdrick and barbarosa a unholy muscle wizard villain.
I kind of want that, yeah, but I am worried about the poison. :M

We have regeneration machine, we have Teleport, we have Zayan and we have All Clear, but I still don't feel comfortable with an unknown element in play.

lightbane

Arcane
Finally! :incline:

I suppose that if we had taken the two at once, we would have received a severe beating.
Well, as expected, it wasn't going to be that easy. Anyway, that "C" is tempting, if only to see what can Lucy do here. :lol:
B3 is also a poor choice, since people might notice the pillar of light once again and start suspecting something's off.
So for now, my votes are: A2*>A3>B1>B2.

We should take into consideration that Kek is likely to self-destruct upon noticing he's going to lose (possibly attempting to take us down with him in the process), so environmental damage is inevitable.

By the way, does any non-C vote mean that our companions will try to help if possible, or will they stay on the sidelines and watch the BAYEXplosions? And have all of the slimes who were here left already?

Lastly, can we attempt to drag him to the skies through the use of magic and/or high-powered punches? It would be a good way to start practicing with our wings, for not to mention perhaps we can use this tactic to both stop him from spreading poison AND finish the battle with a flying kick/piledriver or something flavorful like that.

*(dunno why Erdrick finds it cathartic to cut sentient jelly into pieces, I guess it's his angelic nature getting excited over the idea of maiming and butchering someone)

Last edited:

ScubaV

Prophet
A1

I cast fist.
Come one people, lets make Erdrick and barbarosa a unholy muscle wizard villain.

YES!

A1

tumblr_mk2u2wajSg1qj2nqso1_500.jpg

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
By the way, does any non-C vote mean that our companions will try to help if possible, or will they stay on the sidelines and watch the BAYEXplosions?

If they're smart they'll stay out of the way.

And have all of the slimes who were here left already?

Small fry are irrelevant to you.

Lastly, can we attempt to drag him to the skies through the use of magic and/or high-powered punches? It would be a good way to start practicing with our wings, for not to mention perhaps we can use this tactic to both stop him from spreading poison AND finish the battle with a flying kick/piledriver or something flavorful like that.

How would carrying him into the sky stop the poison? If anything you'd only ensure it spreads over a wider area and take him out of the slime queen's neutralizing range.

Nevill

Arcane
Don't forget that unarmed combat puts us into a direct contact with whatever the guy is emitting. Though it might still be neutralized by the Queen's pheromones.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom