Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

artile said:
What makes this easter egg particularly fun isn’t just that it suggests that Fallout and Skyrim are a part of the same world. It also implies that, despite being the more technologically advanced society, Fallout is set in the past, whereas The Elder Scrolls is the future. Heh. Well, I guess that explains why The Elder Scrolls has lizard and cat people: it’s obviously radiation, guys."

The cameo is funny, but the article and the comment section...

Am I the only person who always imagines the Imperial Legion (Elder Scrolls) and Brotherhood Of Steel (Fallout) to essentially be mirrored factions in the two worlds? That was always the big link for me, suggesting that the worlds might be connected, or different dimensions, or whatever.

:backawayslowly:

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I was pretty bummed that it didn't get more coverage after all that buildup as well. IIRC it is never really straight adressed, you have to read between the lines, and even then it doesn't make much sense.
I get it that they would replace persons of leadership, so they can steer progress as they want to from behind the curtain, or prevent a united front against them. They also claim to replace the "useless" to give them purpose in the society, maybe to have inconspicious spies as well. The one malfunctioning synth creating a massacre was also I a neat idea to create (unwanted) paranoia.
But then you also have people disappearing from Diamond Shitty, that are NOT replaced (according to Piper's dialog when you first enter DC) AND the people from the SPOILER settlement, who watched their families being slaughtered by (malfunctioning?) synth to make them ultra paranoid crusaders.
Not to mention it makes Piper look like a scare-mongering idiot who's whipping Diamond City up into a paranoid frenzy with her glorified tabloid magazine claiming that commies synth spies are everywhere, when they are actually a fairly rare threat in comparison to the constant and very real threat posed by the attacks from Super Mutants, raiders, feral ghouls, and other assorted nasties.

pippin

Not to mention it makes Piper look like a scare-mongering idiot who's whipping Diamond City up into a paranoid frenzy with her glorified tabloid magazine claiming that commies synth spies are everywhere, when they are actually a fairly rare threat in comparison to the constant and very real threat posed by the attacks from Super Mutants, raiders, feral ghouls, and other assorted nasties.

So they make her look like a journalist then?

Bradylama

Arcane
So going by the logic of that Kotaku article, Fallout is also set in the Doctor Who Universe, and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and Star Trek, and Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Not to mention that her reason for suspecting that the mayor is actually a synth is that he ate noodles at the noodle stand, which was the same spot a previous synth went on a rampage. Of course she is right. :retarded:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Looks like they're moving Fallout into the Elder Scrolls universe now... *sigh*

http://kotaku.com/fallout-4-and-skyrim-might-be-in-the-same-universe-1745249353

I know, it was just a stupid easter egg (or a lazy intern that didn't want to create a new plant model), but still.. gah.
That is the most inane article I have ever seen Kotaku write, worse than the Fifa is an rpg one. That cunt of a journalist didn't even bother to research the definition of an Easter egg.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria

So they make her look like a journalist then?
It's just amusing to hear her spiel about wanting to expose the truth through journalism, and how she's lost all of her friends because of her line of work, and acts as though she's doing this for the sake of making Diamond City a better place, and then you actually see her work and all she's doing is making people even more paranoid and unhinged over something that's really nowhere near as prevalent as she's making out, based on extremely flimsy evidence ("People are disappearing? It must be synths! After all, absolutely none of the half dozen factions that're openly hostile to the city have ever kidnapped anybody before"), which one could argue leads indirectly to at least one death when a guy tries to murder his brother in broad daylight in the city square because he suspects he's a synth, and has to be put down by the local guard.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think Bethesda didn't wrote her with much journalism commentary in mind, I think the town's supposed to be bad, and shes a good guy (girl) trying to fight the good fight.

trying to fight the good fight.

OYsuomj.jpg

Also MFW people are actually trying to have an in-depth discussion about FO4 characters and writing...

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
I think Bethesda didn't wrote her with much journalism commentary in mind, I think the town's supposed to be bad, and shes a good guy (girl) trying to fight the good fight.
I don't disagree, I'm just saying that they even managed to fuck that up. If they wanted to make her more sympathetic in 'fighting the good fight', then all they needed to do was have her be the only voice of reason in a city gripped by paranoia over infiltrators and spies. Have her and her paper point out that, hey, it may be fun stabbing at shadows and imagined infiltrators, but why not instead worry about the machete rape gangs that're constantly on patrol outside the city, or the zeppelin full of techno-nazis that've just shown up on the horizon. Instead they show her as one of the people that's arguably just making the issue worse.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
The mayor is actually a synth, y'know. Tried killing him and the game won't let me. I guess he's supposed to die at some point later if you didn't go for the Institute ending. Pretty boring.

Last edited:

baturinsky

Arcane
I don't disagree, I'm just saying that they even managed to fuck that up. If they wanted to make her more sympathetic in 'fighting the good fight', then all they needed to do was have her be the only voice of reason in a city gripped by paranoia over infiltrators and spies. Have her and her paper point out that, hey, it may be fun stabbing at shadows and imagined infiltrators, but why not instead worry about the machete rape gangs that're constantly on patrol outside the city, or the zeppelin full of techno-nazis that've just shown up on the horizon. Instead they show her as one of the people that's arguably just making the issue worse.

Why can't you believe that it's exactly what Bethesda was going for? If you look at other quests, including main quest line, you'll see that they are big fans of moral ambiguity.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron

Why can't you believe that it's exactly what Bethesda was going for? If you look at other quests, including main quest line, you'll see that they are big fans of moral ambiguity.
Because there's really nothing else about her character to suggest it was intentional. The game flaunts her as a paragon of moral and journalistic virtue, with all of her actions being justified by her desire to help Diamond City 'see the truth', and there's no real option for the player to call her out on her scare-mongering bullshit, unlike with the other factions of the game.

Bradylama

Arcane
Piper is just a bad character with annoying mannerisms, and a questionable code of ethics. She even admits that she's only traveling with you to get away from her sister, which even in the safety of the DC walls seems pretty dangerous to just abandon a little girl like that to running your business. Yes, she admits that she's afraid of her sister turning out like herself, but if that was really the case she could have been having her learn any other trade. You cannot, of course, confront Piper on any of this.

Gerrard

Arcane
So, I've put some frag mines on the bridge leading to Sanctuary.

Guess what happened when a caravan arrived.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
Piper is just a bad character with annoying mannerisms, and a questionable code of ethics. She even admits that she's only traveling with you to get away from her sister, which even in the safety of the DC walls seems pretty dangerous to just abandon a little girl like that to running your business. Yes, she admits that she's afraid of her sister turning out like herself, but if that was really the case she could have been having her learn any other trade. You cannot, of course, confront Piper on any of this.
There's a school right down the road from where she lives, which Piper apparently can't be fucked sending her to in favor of getting her to peddle her bullshit rag all day. Sister of the year material right there.

I've been pretty much ignoring this game since it was released, not because of edginess or some shit but because I simply don't care anymore about what they've done to Fallout, for me it doesn't feel like they've released a sequel to the two great games I played for thousands of hours around 99~02, it doesn't "touch" me as something even remotely related to that. It's like a new IP or something. Today I watched some videos because fuck me if there's still anyone on the internet not talking about this game, might as well see how's it like, and damn... I'm not even mad, I'm just incredibly sad. Sad to see how these guys picked up the franchise and transformed it into something so unbelievably wasteful of its potential. When I see those little gifs of the vault boy for each thing I can't stop imagining how great these would be in a real, proper Fallout sequel. And while I do hate the fact that they've changed the genre, it's not the fact that it's an FPS that's shit, Fallout could've become an excellent FPS/RPG, but they've missed almost all marks, from atmosphere to story to visuals to bland sound department (except for the VATS 'tsscch' that they got from the old games, that is a great sound effect) to total lack of RPG elements and forced voice over on you to having the power fucking armor as almost a starting luxury item...

Look at any random STALKER video and you'll see a better FPS Fallout than Bethesda's take. They've put away much of the opressive, desolated atmosphere to bring in jokes, pop culture and the "bright mood" of the vault boy as a general principle of the game instead of a counterbalancing sarcasm of sorts.

I miss this, I don't think we'll ever see a new Fallout game that really captures this feel:

14385.jpg

Notice how pretty much all the elements on the art have been used by Bethesda in a wrong way. When your vision is shit, no matter what sort of awesomeness you'll see, your product won't deliver.
You mention Stalker..... I almost got Stalker 2. Supposed to be a nice open world. Is on GoG.com, but not sale atm.

You still haven't played Fo4, so do you really think you got a handle on it?

EDIT: STalker 2 is 8 years old!!! Time flies.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom