Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Whiran

Magister
Yeah that's the thing. Hasn't SC ruined a couple of marriages because guys with low impulse control sank their family's life savings into it? If Roberts doesn't deliver someone might actually kill him. It better be the best game ever or else he's going to be looking over his shoulder for the rest of his life.
To be fair those marriages were doomed anyway. If it wasn't Star Citizen it would have been something else.

However, it is still boggles my mind how many people put hundreds (let alone thousands) of dollars into this.

I was, and still am, interested in Star Citizen primarily because of Squadron 42 but not to the point that I was (or am) willing to give money until it is released and played by more... optimistic people than myself.

I suspect that so long as people continue to throw money at the project Star Citizen will get done and when (if) Squadron 42 comes out AND it is good then there will be a serious infusion of funds at that time. As such I'm not really that concerned about the project being completed.

The big question is always the same question with games: will it be any good when put together?

Luka-boy

Arcane
I never got those "in space there is no sound" arguments. One would think that the technology is advanced enough for the onboard audio system to artificially generate appropriate sounds to help the pilot get a better grasp on what's happening around him. We even have that in cars already: http://www.cnet.com/news/bmw-m5-generates-fake-engine-noise-using-stereo/
Tyrian used that excuse back in 1995. There was a lore datacube you could find that talked about something called Mega Soundchairs that did exactly that.

"ARCHIVE DATA
Data
Reference: Mega SoundChair

Sensors on your ship pick up the minute disturbances caused by sound-waves
acting on the very fine particle streams in space, then amplify and filter the identified distortions which are
then sent to your Mega SoundChair for playback. This is a consumer product which has been found to
alleviate stress and panic in untrained pilots who began invading space with their own Star Yachts a
number of years ago. It was found that when placed into silence, people would turn to music to alleviate
the dread (and subsequent insanity) caused by being alone in space and unable to hear anything. This remedy
was insufficient, however, since the music had several adverse side effects: It didn't make sense to the
mind when you're watching meteors and other objects hurtling by, consumers couldn't hear messages
broadcast to them, and people would get so wrapped up in the music they'd relax and wouldn't watch
where they were going. This was an especially bad problem in the time before Automatic Guidance and
Proximity Warning systems were refined. So, they decided to amplify what little sound was out there and
solve the problem of the unending silence panic before there were no more Star Yachts to go around."

Explorerbc

Arcane
Star Citizen features Gary Oldman, Gillian Anderson, Mark Hamill

It's just been announced at CitizenCon that the ambitious space sim thingy stars Gary Oldman. Yep, Gary Oldman from Batman, The Fifth Element, and other films. BUT WAIT it also stars Gillian Anderson off them X-Files, acting alongside Mark Strong, Mark Hamill, John Rhys Davies, Andy Serkis, and more people who aren't quite as famous. Here's the image that announces the impressive cast list:

b3ESSRv_SfOJ.jpg

HY_lNy6WQUe8.jpg

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Rest assured, Gary Oldman did not come cheap. Hamill was Blair in the later Wing Commander games so that's not surprising. I'm sure he comes much cheaper than Oldman, though. Really a shame, they could have made a dozen quality games with the amount of money Scam Citizen pulled in rather than this over-produced wish fulfillment simulator.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Insane cast. Curious how much money he's received from investors in the game. Just not sure 90 million could pay for all these actors and developers for the past 3-4 years. My only gripe with the trailer itself was the fact Oldman stands in front of the podium for 5-10 seconds with his mouth open like an idiot.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
one of the stretch-goals for 5 000 000 coconuts:

"Squadron 42 will feature celebrity voice-acting including at least one favorite from Wing Commander and 50 total missions"

Perkel

Arcane
copy/paster from reddit

START

----------------------------------------------------------------
---------------- 2012 ----------------------------------------

2012 - October - CR GDC talk
- announcement of SC
- start of crowdfunding campaign
- CIG staff - 7 people working on that demo for last year
"I AM A PC GAME , I wanna build proper new PC game in vein of Wing Commander"
-------------------------------------------------------------------
2012 - November - Crowdfunding finishes
- $6mln+
- CIG staff - 8 people, that chick joined up who is doing PR for them
- They start hiring people for their studio

--------------- 2013 -----------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------

2013 - February - Austin Office is created (start of community talk)
- starts to work on SC (official start of game dev)
- CIG staff - 20 people
- their website goes up and is updated weekly with lore and stuff
- few podcasts and behind scenes shows start up
------------------------------------------------------------------
2013 - August - Santa Monica studio is created
- CIG staff 32
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2013 - August - Release of Hangar Module
- CIG staff 40
2013 - October - Foundry 42 studio created
- CIG staff 52
2013 - December Austin Studio changes location
- old studio to small for new people coming in
- CIG staff 60
2013 - December - they upgrade community talk
- more interaction with community
- 6 talk shows with behind scene stuff

---------------- 2014 ----------------------------------------

2014 - February - Austin office comes online
- CIG staff - 93
2014 - July - Arena Commander release
- CIG staff - 139
2014 - October - Improvements to handgar and AC
- CIG staff 156

--------------------2015--------------------------------------

2015 - February - Frankfurt office is created
- hiring mostly Cryengine devs from Crytek fallout
- CIG - 205
2015 - April - Start of Performance Capture
- 3 month period in which all animations and voice
for SQ 48 campaign
2015 - August - Multicrew and planetside release
- CIG staff 260
- all systems working for persistent universe now
2015 - October - SQ48 first details announced
- release 2016
- CIG staff 260+

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I'm a bit disappointed by the CG presentation of the cast. The video cutscenes with real actors from previous games had its own charm, though I understand all CG is better for consistency. Also disappointed from yesterday's presentation. The miniscule amount shown for Squadron42 was a joke. Besides the thin lips from the commander model put me off (yeah I know that sounds weird), and the voice somehow was too highpitched.

Also me feels that too much useless developments flow into this game: this thing with the iris changing when put under light, the bloodflow features in the face making parts more/less red, wrinkles etc. is nice and all, but obsolete. In the game you won't even realize that - especially since it only applies to cinematic cutscenes and not when you encounter these characters on the ship. Actually this also destroys consistency. See a HD face in the cutscene and then meet a blobface in the actual gameplay... a waste of money, just to claim it's AAA (which is exactly what Roberts said: "now because of this it's real AAA")

Another thing is the ships... they look like there is too much shit on it. Specifically meaning the outside. It's like they put glue on the ship and then dived into a scrap yard - and then an "industrial" looking spaceship peppered with needles, old tyres and rusty car doors comes out. But okay... just my impression.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
from Citizent Con:

jNq2JMI2QGLC6.jpg

release soon. They will test out every system before full persistent universe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom