Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Uh, so on PS4 people are gonna be able to play the beta?? How much of the content is gonna be in it? Is there gonna be online (for duelling)? Is it free? Can anyone enroll by simply preordering? Can you give me any details? I got a PS4 that's collecting dust in the corner.

Shammy

Learned
Pomp is what the unwashed masses want.

I'm not even excited for DaSIII anymore. Just port DeS to PC instead and I'll be happy.
I mean this is also just a stress test. For all we know this music could just be that: pump up music. Definitely not a final indicator of the final product, but only time will tell if that's true or not.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
In the end, we will all realize that B-Team was great.

Gentle Player

Arcane

I don't know about all this A-team and B-team stuff. I agree with the general consensus that the original Dark Souls II was disappointing compared to the first, but that the crowns DLC was fantastic. I also hold the unpopular view that Artorias of the Abyss is wholly overrated.

In any case, Miyazaki had absolutely nothing to do with From-Software's greatest masterpiece :martini:

Last edited:

LivingOne

Savant
They always had different music in their stress test menus compared to relese game menus. It was also composed by Yuka Kitamura who has only made boss music so far(Executioner Chariot, Velstadt, Old Dongslayer, Ruin Sentinels, Ebrietas and Sir Alonne).

Gentle Player

Arcane
They always had different music in their stress test menus compared to relese game menus. It was also composed by Yuka Kitamura who has only made boss music so far(Executioner Chariot, Velstadt, Old Dongslayer, Ruin Sentinels, Ebrietas and Sir Alonne).

I seem to remember hearing the Dark Souls II menu piece for the first time here at this forum, long before release, when it too was used in a Network Test thing - then again, my memory may be faulty. In any case I don't think this new piece will be used for the final menu, it certainly does seem like more of a boss battle piece.

Murk

Arcane

We ambidextrous disciples of Tanimura are always lurking in the shadows. Waiting for our moment of glory to reveal an opportunity so that we may strike. Once with the left hand, then again with the right hand, and again with the left hand, and once more with the right...

Gentle Player

Arcane
Shadow Tower Abyss?

Nope, though Shadow Tower Abyss had a great melee attack system (but a poor magic system, as with the first Shadow Tower) that I wish they would have expanded on. The best FromSoft game, with Dark Souls a close second, is King's Field IV. I honestly think that that game is a masterpiece of design. My favourite game developer was Looking Glass, which should be telling as to my attitude towards the Souls games and my dislike of the action-gameplay and MMO-style PvP focused crowd which has infiltrated the FromSoft fanbase (and whom I view as akin to the Persona fans in relation to Shin Megami Tensei). If one were to ask me what games are comparable, in terms of level design, to King's Field IV, as blasphemous as it is I would have to reach right out to the top and say Thief, Ultima Underworld (which inspired King's Field) and System Shock 1. I am almost positive that, if KFIV were a Western game and had a PC release, it would be widely mentioned in the same breath as the Looking Glass canon. Instead, it languishes in semi-obscurity, which is a travesty.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Nope, though Shadow Tower Abyss had a great melee attack system (but a poor magic system, as with the first Shadow Tower) that I wish they would have expanded on. The best FromSoft game, with Dark Souls a close second, is King's Field IV. I honestly think that that game is a masterpiece of design. My favourite game developer was Looking Glass, which should be telling as to my attitude towards the Souls games and my dislike of the action-gameplay and MMO-style PvP focused crowd which has infiltrated the FromSoft fanbase (and whom I view as akin to the Persona fans in relation to Shin Megami Tensei). If one were to ask me what games are comparable, in terms of level design, to King's Field IV, as blasphemous as it is I would have to reach right out to the top and say Thief, Ultima Underworld (which inspired King's Field) and System Shock 1. I am almost positive that, if KFIV were a Western game and had a PC release, it would be widely mentioned in the same breath as the Looking Glass canon. Instead, it languishes in semi-obscurity, which is a travesty.

Nobody is asking for MMO-style PvP. Where did you get this idea?

Gentle Player

Arcane
Nobody is asking for MMO-style PvP. Where did you get this idea?

I didn't say that people were outright asking for it. It's a simplification, sure, but I do say, or at least it is my belief, that there is a large contingent of Souls fans that became attracted to the games due to action gameplay and PvP, as opposed to the world and dungeon design and mechanics not directly related to reflexive-action that endeared me to the series. I don't say that any one camp is right or wrong in their tastes; we merely appreciate wholly different design philosophies, and there is a conflict there. I think that, if the Souls games didn't exist, there would be large swathes of the fanbase who would be favouring games like World of Warcraft, League of Legends, Devil May Cry, etc. while there would be others, like myself, probably smaller in number, who would champion Looking Glass games, King's Field, Dark Heart of Uukrul, Wizardry VI, and whatnot. My fears are that the former camp, having a much greater presence with their Twitch streams and YouTube meme videos and PvP commentary and whatnot - which vastly boost the popularity and sales of the games - will be those that end up having a greater influence on the design of future games, to the detriment of players like myself.

Murk

Arcane
They are definitely not in it for MMO style pvp, but rather, fighting game style pvp where-in they also impose an exhaustive list of things that are and are not taboo.

Higher Animal

Arcane
Gentle Player

Thanks for bringing some sanity into this thread. MMO PVP is a great putdown to Tanimura cock-riding, hipster tryhard faggots who bitch about Miyazaki's adventure role playing sensibilities. You'd think these people would prefer f2p shooters or watching old International matches on jewtoob to posting in an RPG forum of all fucking places.

My favorite in the series is DeS. Hard combat, hard exploration, and unique/esoteric online and story elements.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Demon's Souls is certainly the hardest game in the series, at least regarding the areas. There's nothing in Dark Souls 1 & 2 that can compare to the second half of most Archstones.

I borrowed by DeS to a friend who beated DS1 & 2, he gave up on 4-2, with those skeletons in a cliff and the dark cavern full of insta-rape.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom