Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

Baltika9

Arcane
If we had invested in anatomically obfuscating spells, I would have definitely went for C. As it is, it's either A or B and I have never quit halfway (in these LPs).
B

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, that was fast. I still had a faint hope that the discuss-cavalry will arrive (Esquilax, Gobblecock, you truants!) and I could convince 4 more people to flop, but there wasn't much to add and I didn't want to repeat the argument ad infinitum. Maybe I should be more pushy in the future? :? Probably not, though, no one wants a repeat of a Legendary mire.
:butthurt:
Eh, we were given another opportunity, so I am not too salty over that.

Arlin held himself commendably, and he didn't lose to her skill, which should not hurt his pride too much. We should give him a pat on the back later - this kind of behavior needs to be encouraged.

Well then. Let's do it in style. It was all a part of the plan to make us look more fabulous. And the date is still on the line. I'd take Elmont, too. Didn't we want to sip brandy with a dean of their magical academy? He's not Argus, but he is the next best thing.

B. Let no one say that we didn't give them a fair chance.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

*sigh*
B
Well, went better than I expected. I think we should date her now though. Arlin would doubtless disgust her with his vomit breath, even if we were to give him a mint - first impressions and all.

The Codex.
The Codex never listens to me.
What strange cucketry will you attempt now? :M

a cut of domestic sheep prime

It was a secondary so that we would lose and avoid theseus cucking. Not my first choice. My first choice might have won. Even if we would have been called a cheater.
I guess the cuck meme has finally reached the playground, a year too late.
I refused to use it at first. Besides, it's never too late for you guys.

lightbane

Arcane
What about this?

D: We accept the challenge... But not now. The duel will be done tomorrow's, first thing in the morning. Arlin needs some attention to heal his hurt stomach (perhaps Wisteria can help us in this regard:M). Of course, we'll take the opportunity to run away like cowards prepare ourselves a special/fabulous suit/spell/whatever for the duel that will conceal our angelic properties.

Nevill

Arcane
There is a tiny part of me that wants to tell Nostrils: 'Fine, I'll do my bit of running around the Palace. But when I come back, you'd better do yours, too.' Then strip, revealing the halo, wings and all. :troll:

But no. I must remain strong. :negative:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It's entertainment for the party. Pointless to have it tomorrow, when the party's over.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Unless jogging around the Palace in our underpants under an Invisibility spell counts.
Voting for this when we lose the bet, people will be amused and we keep our secret.

Edit:
B, if we win we get a date with both.
Alternatively D we cast invisibility and tell Nostrils that we are naked.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
What I like about this kind of LPs is that sometimes failure can prove to be more entertaining than an immediate success.

Making complex plans is a part of being a good chessmaster, but it's not all of it. Being able to adapt them and making them survive contact with the enemy is far more important.

It is true that it didn't turn exactly as we hoped it would, however, I have been thinking if this unfortunate situation can't be used to our advantage still.

It is quite obvious that our detractors have set this up to test us. A pessimist in me thinks that they are trying to guess how much firepower they need to bring in case they ever need you removed. Fair enough. However, their chosen method inadvertently gives us some information about Methuss and the capabilities of its mages and warriors, too.

They have heard that we are a mage, made Nostrils propose a strictly magical duel, and pit us against one of their best mages who was supposed to give us a run for our money (I guess they didn't choose Argus only because it would seem ridiculous to expect their guest fight a whole archmage). However, during our conversation Nostrils has outright dismissed the notion that we are any good as a swordsman. That tells me that their mages don't even lift. :M

Similarly, he didn't pit us agains one of their best swordsmen until he made us promise that we won't be using spells. That tells me that Wisteria and the other Knight-Captains are not equipped to deal with magical threats. Mage and warrior 'classes', if you so wish, seem to be firmly segregated in the Kingdom.

And now they are trying to set us up against both of them, hoping to push us to our limits. Our top tier magic against their top tier magic, our best swordsmanship against theirs. However, they had to also allow us the full use of our abilities to make it seem fair to the crowd.

I think you can see where this is going. Our defensive abilities are top-notch. Our magical defense is just shy of A rank (and a single Mage Armor pushes it past that), so I don't think any spells safe for the heavy stuff like fireballs can even get through. Same with our physical defense and agility, augmented by Barbatos' technique to make us hard to hit in the first place. And we have got a good glimpse at how one of our opponents fights. Theoretically, we should be able to dance with those two all night. But they probably can't - not if we utilize the opposite of their specialization. It should not be too hard to bring down Lord Elmont with the power of steel... well, wood... uh, that came out wrong... :oops: ANYWAY! and blast Wisteria away with a well-placed spell instead of engaging both of them on their terms. It might not be the spectacular resolution with the clothes ripped off and passions inflamed, as the crowd hopes for, but we are kind of trying to keep our pants on in public, and you'd have to admit that it makes for a pretty cunning loophole abuse. It's not like anyone can complain after making us face 'impossible odds'.

A victory here would make us look smarter than we are, as if the whole show with Arlin was intended to get them just where we need them. I'd say it's a nice way of getting out of our conundrum with a chin held high.

Not to mention the prospect of a real double date! :bounce:

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
While it is quite probable their mages are not physically strong, nothing stops them from having a special branch of battle-mages who are meant to be used in warfare, which is a possibility. Either way, what is true is that they want to test our limits. However, it would be good to learn how magic duels are done and how would these rules work with sword-fighting, if only to have an excuse to change to other clothes/light armor that will resist the strain of moving fast without falling to the ground. Erd could justify his act of wearing a helmet as a self-imposed handicap to make things more interesting.

Whatever the case, I'm sure our character can pull through this one, be it with a combination of Battle Aura, his superhuman speed and a few invocations (it would be a good time to show off these Lightning Tigers for once), or overwhelm both adversaries with sheer magical power (Tornado might do the trick, if a bit overkill). Regardless of the result, we'll end up revealing a lot of our powers, which will make countless people REALLY interested on hiring/capturing us.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
While it is quite probable their mages are not physically strong, nothing stops them from having a special branch of battle-mages who are meant to be used in warfare, which is a possibility.
If they had battlemages that are any good (C rank or so), I would imagine Nostrils - or his bosses, really - would have tried to assert if we aren't one, first. Not a single gear turned in his head, however. The possibility simply didn't occur to him until we mentioned it. That's why I don't think they have those, with the exception of maybe some unique personalities like legendary adventurers or angels.

Esquilax

Arcane
Wouldn't stripping reveal that we are actually an angel? Which is probably what Nostrils has been gunning for this time; his keen sense of smell must have pointed it out. They don't call him Nostrils for nothing.

Esquilax

Arcane
Okay, so the stakes are clearly rather high now. We have the option of either (A) running away like a chickenshit and looking even worse than we would had we refused altogether, (B) doubling down on this stupid idea and going full-retard (a Codex favourite), and (C) Nudist Diplomacy.

Given the circumstances, I am fully in favour of going full-retard. At best, we'll impress the crowd and reveal our prowess, but at least hide our angelic nature, and at worst, we become terribly humiliated, storm off, leave Methuss and head east with our rag-tag band of goblins, swearing bloody vengeance against Methuss, and return from the lands of beasts and non-humans with a massive, unified army in tow to burn this country to cinders. So, at best it all works out, at worst we have an awesome villainous origin story. Win-win!

B

Kipeci

Arcane
Wouldn't stripping reveal that we are actually an angel? Which is probably what Nostrils has been gunning for this time; his keen sense of smell must have pointed it out. They don't call him Nostrils for nothing.
That's the point, yes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom