Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ok, now we are tied. :?

We say in last option B that we want the village fortified, which seems to indicate that we see some sort of coming threat to the village even if nothing's at the ruins and we leave well enough alone.
Yes, and it mentions specifically being prepared for the very same people when they decide to poke again after the first successful raid, which we are going to nip in the bud with A.

Kipeci

Arcane
All we need is one more flop from Rin to either Runde or Robust and it'll no longer be a tie and we also won't have to worry about the security of the village in the hands of runty Runde!

Nevill

Arcane
It wasn't a tie before you started with the Shulgi-serching 'but think of the poor massacred gobbos' thing! :rpgcodex:

All we need now is one more flop from Runde or Robust to Rin and we won't have to be worried about anyone coming again for the time being. :M

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
Again, I don't think that nuking the humans without saying so much as hello to them will prevent any local kingdoms wondering what in the world ate their scouting party. People are curious and like to poke their noses where they don't belong, especially after pretty lights were in the area. :M

Besides that, it's my impression that most people are sort of gunning for some sort of diplomatic action provided that the humans don't turn out to be complete assholes to us. I don't think we're going to go for your preferred option to slaughter them all the moment we see them, and even if we are I doubt that we could do it without one of them getting away or sending some sort of message even with Rin among us, there are just so many of them.

Nevill

Arcane
Even if you are gunning for diplomacy, Rin can provide the much needed intimidate bonus. Who knows how many crazy bitches who are stronger than ourselves are there in our kingdom? :M

Baltika9

Arcane
No need, count me for Rin-Runde. If the goblins do get wiped out by a random ambush, they aren't worthy of our divine radiance anyway.

Baltika9

Arcane
If he can't beat down thirty soldiers by himself wearing nothing but pants, he is not worthy of being our apprentice. Even though Erdrick reminds me more of Big Wang than Lord Zhang.

Baltika9

Arcane
Yep, I just want some 'I told you so' rights in case Runde doesn't become awesome from lack of mentoring.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Approach the Camp

After the healers have removed all of the arrow-heads, you tilt Petze’s head back and uncork the vial. The crimson liquid inside stirs warmly, as if it is living blood. The goblins around you watch with bated breath, scarcely understanding any of what is going on except for the fact that you are about to use a precious divine artifact on their kin. “Here goes,” you mutter, and you pour the liquid down Petze’s throat. Her blood-matted calico fur trembles as the potion begins to take effect. Her wounds knit and heal swiftly; the flesh mends and the fur regrows. The rapid regeneration is every bit as miraculous as if you had used it on a human. And that is suspicious. The priests had been very clear that their spells and their potions were blessings of the Goddesses, reserved only for the faithful. Why would it work just as well on a goblin?

It is too much of a hassle to ponder right now. You let out a sigh. All these questions, and you are stuck in some backwater with a bunch of overgrown cats, and the only woman for miles around would likely kill you if you so much as touched her.

“M…my god?” You look down. Petze’s eyes are open, and practically shining as she stares at you. “Did you… save me?” she says weakly. You nod, and lay her back down on the mat of woven leaves. There is a rustle as she curls her tail slightly, still looking at you in a daze. When you stand up, the entire hall breaks into a yowling of worshipful joy.

“The Shining One has plucked her back from Death’s Door!”

“Truly he is our Demon God, come to bring us to paradise!”

“All hail the Shining One!”

“Sh-Shining One…” Robust comes up to you, moving on his knees. “I am eternally grateful for your help in saving Petze!” He bows deeply and genuinely. From the way he looks at her… you glance at him, and then at Petze, and then at Runde, who is looking at her, and then back at Petze, who is still looking at you worshipfully…

“Anyway!” You raise your voice and your hand, silencing the crowd of goblins. “I will investigate these intruders personally.”

They cheer again, forcing you to raise your hand again to silence them. “Until I return, Runde will keep an eye on things.”

“M-Me? I couldn’t…” Runde stammers, showing a distinct lack of confidence. The other goblins also look uncertain, although none of them would dare voice anything that goes against your word.

“You have been in my presence for the past two weeks. You will be heard,” you say flatly, making it clear that you will brook no disobedience. “Do not worry. It will be quick. Rinnefiela, Robust, you will come with me.”

“That’s good. I haven’t smashed some humans in a long time,” grins Rin ferally. “I was worried that you would take the cowardly way out and not bring me along. Glad to see you still have some balls.”

“I hear and obey!” shouts Robust, giving you a strong salute. “My life is yours, Shining One!”

As you are now distinctly non-human, you wonder if you should cover up those traits as best as you can...

A. You disguise yourself, trying to tuck your wing under your clothes and hiding your halo under a thick shawl. You would still look strange, like a misshapen hunchback with a lumpy head, but not obviously non-human.

B. You do not disguise yourself at all. Why should you be ashamed of your looks?

You observe the human camp from a safe distance. Twenty… thirty… there are thirty five of them milling about. There could be more, but from Petze’s report, you think that this is likely all of them, or at least their main force. The humans are alert but nervous. There are three patrols of five soldiers each regularly circling the area; three spearmen and two bowmen in each patrol. Six mages are at the edge of the large crater created by your spell, poring over the ground for clues. There are another ten soldiers guarding their backs: five swords, three spears and two bows. Then, there are three knights in full armour, and a tall man wearing an expensive-looking cloak who looks to be the commander of the group. None of them have rune-inscribed armour or spell-warded clothing, as far as you can tell, but that might not mean anything: it is possible that they have far more advanced enchantments that you are unable to identify. The knights and their commander are in the center of the camp, and they are standing around a makeshift table looking at something.

Of the goblins you can see Boss strung up by his ankles, two spears running through his gut. Goblins are hardy, but you are not sure if he is still alive. There are also two or three goblins in manacles. The rest of the goblins have been dumped in a pile that is oozing dark red blood from the bottom. The corpses would probably be burnt and disposed of later. There are also four human soldiers laid out and unmoving, a cloth covering their faces: the goblins had not gone down without inflicting casualties of their own. Judging from the number of horses that they have brought, and what looks to be a tent of supplies, you do not think that they plan to stay here for more than a few days.

You close your eyes and try to feel for any strong flow of magic that could indicate wards of detection. There are none. Could they really be that careless? The lack of wards aside, their camp is full of other openings any smart raider could exploit. You begin to wonder if it is not actually some sort of trap designed to lure you in. The demons had tried that tactic once, pretending to be full of vulnerabilities. Easy pickings. Or so they wanted you to think. Talley, brash and overconfident that he was, had fallen for that trap and lost his life to it.

“Invisibility,” you murmur. You cloak yourself, Rin, and Robust in a veil of invisibility. Any self-respecting mage would be able to see through it should they use Detect Invisibility, but you would have to get closer to the camp for them to do so. You do not plan on doing that; not yet, at least. It is not yet certain that they have not laid out a trap, and you do not want to spring it early. Spying on the patrols, however, should be relatively safe.

“Why aren’t we just jumping in and smashing them? They are weak,” whispers Rin. "Also, they are bullying my cute little goblins. That is more than deserving of death."

“That might be more troublesome than it seems. Let’s try to find out what is going on first. There might be an easier way of solving matters.”

Rin sighs, rolling her eyes. “It will all end in violence, I tell you this. That is what you humans are like.”

“We’ll see, princess. Robust, do not say a word when we are moving.”

Robust says nothing and nods. He is breathing heavily, nervous and excited at the fact that he is getting to adventure with his deity.

As the three of you creep closer to one of the patrols, you use Universal Translation.

“…you think they’ll find anything?”

Six High Mages can do anything. I just wonder what the Confessor-Princess is hoping to find all the way out here.”

“Must be something important. I heard rumours that it involved some relic of the Demon God.”

I heard rumours that a star had been sent to earth as a blessing by the Five Gods and as a reward for our faith. That’s what we’re supposed to retrieve.”

“A star? How’d we carry a star? They’re… like… little pricks of light!”

“By the way, we’re not actually allowed in Methussian territory, are we? What if they find us?”

“That’s what that Galbaldian flag is for, dumbass…”

The patrol moves away, none the wiser as to your presence. It looks like if you want to find out more, you will have to capture them or talk to them. You recall Runde’s brief report on the countries surrounding your village. The ruins are in Methussian land, which is a kingdom bordered by Galbaldy, Dijeh, and the Holy Barzam Ecclesiocracy. This could be risky: if it turns out that it is a trap, you would be revealing your presence for a poor reason - especially if some of them get away - and it might also embroil you in complicated geopolitics that you have little knowledge about. On the other hand, you are now certain that these humans are definitely unrelated to the Seven Kingdoms.

Should you take the camp?

Rin and Robust are eager to do so. In particular, you can see Rin's tail swishing happily, something you've noticed she does from time to time.

But you wonder if they might not be open to a casual conversation instead…

A. You take the initiative and launch a pre-emptive attack on the camp before they realize you are there. With a violent strike, you could destroy their morale and have any survivors give up. You have Rin and Robust circle around the camp, with instructions to ensure that no one gets away from the fight.
1. You utilize low level spells, not wanting to give too much away. Even if it may be turn out to be a hard fight, you would rather stick to throwing around Magic Arrows or Fireballs than give away any of your more powerful abilities.
2. You use your summons to attack from a distance. You create a single Electric Wolf for every one of the enemy, to test their capabilities. You can always up the ante if they prove insufficient.
3. You start off with a bang. A more controlled Gigadyne should be able to destroy the enemies that you want, while still keeping some of the more valuable targets alive: the commander, the knights and the mages.

B. You attempt to talk to the humans, using Universal Translation to ensure that your words are understood. To be on the safe side, you have Rin and Robust stay a fair distance away: not too far to come to your aid, but not so close that they would be detected either.
1. You bring Rin along with you, though not Robust. The goblin champion is better off keeping an eye out at a distance as the sight of his mug might immediately trigger hostilities from the humans.
2. You go alone. It might be more of a comfort to have Rin by your side, but she is too volatile and might jeopardize the talks.
3. You send a Doppleganger. However, to ensure that you can control it fully for a conversation, you will need to subsume your mind into the clone.

C. You watch them for a bit longer to make sure they have no further plans to scout for your village, and once you are certain, you leave. It is too bad about Boss and the other goblins, but you do not want to reveal yourself or the village if at all possible.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
I love guard banter.
Anyway, I want to pose as that falling star they're after. Hopefully angels aren't associated with demonic pigeons around these parts.
B B2
If this fails, we have some serious backup waiting in ambush.

Baltika9

Arcane
Statues and fountains the world over tell stories of legions of angels descending at night to shit all over them.

Kipeci

Arcane
If we come back to a village that's not messed up I'll go ahead and admit that I was wrong. I'm not sure how it's ballsy to bring the strongest person around as back up, but whatever works for her, I guess.

For the first one we are Beautiful as we are and I see no need to disguise ourself as a misshapen hunchback. Since we did bother to bring Rin along and she's not going to be too impressed if we just talk it out and I don't much care for the way they treated Boss anyway, I think we should do a number on the guys and then interrogate the remainder. A3 for second choice, though I also like A2 and could live with B2.

So that's down as B(A3>A2>B2).

Do we know anything about what a High Mage's capabilities are, treave?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Do we know anything about what a High Mage's capabilities are, treave?

In the Seven Kingdoms, a High Mage is the rank under an Archmage, and generally a C-rank spell caster. Lobelia is one of the Archmagi, though she is on the extreme end of strength.

Nevill

Arcane
and the only woman for miles around would likely kill you if you so much as touched her.
My eyes shall be on you until the day I may regain the legacy of Demon King Kimaris, my departed father. I shall guard you from harm until that day comes to pass
She is binded by an Oath of Partnership, which includes the 'protection from harm' clause, so I see absolutely no reason not to try. Experiment is the mother of science, and we are going for a mad scientist, after all.

There is a rustle as she curls her tail slightly
Wait, they have tails? Do they also purr? :love:

“M-Me? I couldn’t…” Runde stammers, showing a distinct lack of confidence. The other goblins also look uncertain, although none of them would dare voice anything that goes against your word.

“You have been in my presence for the past two weeks. You will be heard,” you say flatly, making it clear that you will brook no disobedience.
Yes. The future ruler of the Goblin Realm needs more confidence.

"Also, they are bullying my cute little goblins. That is more than deserving of death."
Absolutely. There is no excuse. DEATH TO THE INFIDELS! AAAAAAAA!!!1!1

*ahem*

Now that we have Rin covering our ass maybe we can talk to them, if only to see if there aren't any cute female mages worth capturing. :oops:

BB2

Not sure whether we should mask our non-human nature or not. They might be be more willing to talk to us if we don't, but they would be less careful if we do. And the goblin survivors might give us away, what's with their blind worship. I'd rather conceal myself.

If we do attack, I suppose the summons would be better. They might not recognize our connection to a sudden incursion of a montster horde. Although a Shock and Awe tactic might work here as well.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

B - Disguise? Lol, from the sound of it, the disguise will make us look more like an untrustworthy freak pretending to be a human.

From the sound of it, 6 high mages are nothing to be trifled with.

B1>B2>A2 - Let's play nice. Sure, they've massacred our goblins, but there is no reason to get nasty...yet. Why don't we offer to help them? For now at least.

Last edited by a moderator:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
B
A2
Nope. We brought along two eager fighters. Not going to engage in diplomacy here. First a show of strength (by defeating these curs), then we can speak with the survivors, from a more advantageous position.

Also, feline goblins? Was that what the cat/dog vote was about? I don't even remember which option won.

Nevill

Arcane
Also, feline goblins? Was that what the cat/dog vote was about? I don't even remember which option won.
Goblins were always feline, and the vote was a tie.

“By the way, we’re not actually allowed in Methussian territory, are we? What if they find us?”

“That’s what that Galbaldian flag is for, dumbass…”
:hmmm:

1. Crush the invaders with a Gigadyne alpha-strike.
2. Blame it on the Melthussians.
3. ???
4. r00fles.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
We're terribly active for a lazy fuck, now that I think about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom