Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPS Top 50 RPGs

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
FTL ahead of Bloodlines... :lol:

Stuff that they played recently seems to get ranked higher than it probably should. They probably discovered Dark Souls like last week or something (in an "I'm actually playing this in my spare time" sense).

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
No Fallout 2 in a Top 50 RPGs list?

Yeah, okay.

FTL and Dwarf Fortress in the Top 15?

Right. Great. Excellent.

:hmmm:

Doma

Augur
I get a warm feeling inside everytime I see lists like this remember to include Space Rangers 2.

It is such a fantastic game. MAN do I want SR3. Please Russia! Get to it!

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
already 4 pages of condescending and yet noone honored the fact that they included NEO Scavenger, a masterpiece which even most codexers didn't bother checking out.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
cuck.png

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
no Fallout 2
:retarded:
I'm not even a fan of Fallout series and I still admit that FO2 belongs in the top 5.

The whole list is a joke, right? IWD didn't make it but there are games I bet nobody has even heard about. And shitty ARPGs like TL2. No TW1 yet TW3 is top 10. And DS is #1. Of all times. WTF? I mean what the actual fuck...

<insert toilet flush sound clip here>

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

:retarded:
I'm not even a fan of Fallout series and I still admit that FO2 belongs in the top 5. But

The list is a joke, right? IWD didn't make it but there are games I bet nobody has even heard about. And shitty ARPGs like TL2. TW3 is top 10 and DS is #1. WTF? I mean what the actual fuck...

<insert toilet flush sound clip here>

Can you explain why IWD series is deserving to be on a Top 50 RPG list, but not Dark Souls?

Deleted member 7219

Can you explain why IWD series is deserving to be on a Top 50 RPG list, but not Dark Souls?
IWD is head and shoulders better than 2/3 of the list and at least it actually was an RPG unlike DS.

I've really tried to get into IWD but I can't. There are very few quests that are interesting, the storyline seems like a railroad, and the main focus seems to be combat. From what I hear, Dark Souls is very similar in that regard. So it is interesting how someone can support a combat heavy game like IWD being on there, but not DS.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
So it is interesting how someone can support a combat heavy game like IWD being on there, but not DS.
IWD was combat-heavy but it was D&D like the rest of the IE games so it qualifies. DS was an action game with some RPG flavor (like every second action game these days). Not to mention it was console crap ported to PC.

Speaking about D&D, where's ToEE?

Even if they insist on lumping together CRPGs and ARPGs (it feels completely pointless but OK), Risen and TL2 over ME1 and Diablo 1? Hell, even Path of Exile (which I personally dislike) is a stronger contender. I've never had much respect for RPS but seriously: get a clue you damn morons.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Shitty list from shitty people, news at 11.

Do you really expect something else from these retards? By the way, fuck off Dwarf Fortress. Adv mode is really good and it still deserve to be at least honored on the list. (LOL DARK SOULS LOLELELEL)

sser

Arcane
Developer
'Tis a bad list with the usual culprits. What mostly has me scratching my head is FTL and Darkest Dungeon. I was not aware people saw FTL as an RPG, unless it has been updated in some fashion since I last played it. Darkest Dungeon is not even finished, but even as it stands it's an interesting game, but best ever...? Nah.

Donaroriak

Augur
Project: Eternity
Dammit, you're not even a newfag, do I really need to spoonfeed you everything, or is it just your way to be super-old-school-edgy? I obviously clicked the spoiler button in the OP before even reading whatever was written before. +M
Then you never even read the article, so technically you never stopped reading it ;-)
Obviously arguing about this is more important to me than arguing the list's merits, which is telling.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dammit, you're not even a newfag, do I really need to spoonfeed you everything, or is it just your way to be super-old-school-edgy? I obviously clicked the spoiler button in the OP before even reading whatever was written before. +M
Then you never even read the article, so technically you never stopped reading it ;-)
Obviously arguing about this is more important to me than arguing the list's merits, which is telling.

Spoken like a true Codexer, flesh bone and marrow. :salute:

Finagle

Novice
"Is your website not getting the clicks it deserves, then make another fucking list!"

Doktor Best

Arcane
Out of all problems with this list, dark souls being on #1 is the least for me. It is a dungeon crawler, it is just as much an rpg as wizardry 1-5 or ultima underworld. So enlighten me, what exactly makes you disregard dark souls as an rpg?

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Out of all problems with this list, dark souls being on #1 is the least for me. It is a dungeon crawler, it is just as much an rpg as wizardry 1-5 or ultima underworld. So enlighten me, what exactly makes you disregard dark souls as an rpg?
Out of the problems with your post these two are the biggest for me: 1) DS is not a dungeon crawler, it's an ARPG and there's a lot more action than RPG in it and 2) DS may be a solid game but it's nowhere near the best ARPG of all times (no matter what console kiddies may believe).

Gentle Player

Arcane

Player skill trumps character skill and statistics by far in Dark Souls; the entire game can be beaten without levelling up. I'd like to see someone try that in Wizardry.

Backstabber

Educated
The real heresy here is that FTL is ahead of ADOM, NEO Scavenger, Brogue and Dwarf Fortress

Doktor Best

Arcane
Out of the problems with your post these two are the biggest for me: 1) DS is not a dungeon crawler, it's an ARPG and there's a lot more action than RPG in it and 2) DS may be a solid game but it's nowhere near the best ARPG of all times (no matter what console kiddies may believe).

1) Arpg determines the form of combat, not the actual subgenre. There are turnbased dungeon crawlers, rtwp dungeoncrawlers and Arpg dungeoncrawlers.

Dungeoncrawl is simply a term to describe the enviroment the game takes place in, which is usually maze like areas filled with combat encounters, traps, puzzles and loot, while lacking plot, friendly npcs or civilized settlements.

2) I see you want to argue taste now, alright. Aside from maybe Gothic1+2 there is no contest for Dark Souls on the market, no matter what some pc masterrace neckbeards tend to believe. Its combat system blows everything else out of the water, atmosphere, encounter- and leveldesign are superb, character progression is actually pretty interesting.

Yes there are some old Arpgs that are important to the genre and all and actually hold up pretty well, but you seriously cant argue that the combat in ultima underworld for example is up to par with DS.

Gentle Player: While that is true, those lvl1 runs are mostly achieved by extreme cheesing and skipping content. I wouldnt count that as a valid reason to question the games genre.

I dont say Dark Souls really deserves the spot, as for me personally i dont consider dungeoncrawls important enough to take that spot. But as an actual dungeoncrawls Dark Souls is undisputedly a fucking gem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom