Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Spockrock

Augur
IIRC, the damage an electric charge does to a person depends on a crapton of factors: body resistance, presence of water on the skin/clothes, psychological state, duration of the shock (if it's more than one pump of the heart, you can expect your heart to fibrillate (happens around 100 mA)) etc. and 5 A will outright kill you. the top layer of the skin provides the most resistance (which means less As, since I = U/R), so if your skin is undamaged and dry, you have more chances.

it also affects a person in all kinds of ways: results in burns, dissolves blood and plasma, fucks with organs' functions, triggers convulsions which can cause serious damage to muscles and joints etc. it can also inject tiny particles of metal under the skin (metal that got melted by the charge), or into the eyes, which probably hurts like hell and can blind you.

so, since metal is a great conductor, if you hit a guy in a plate with a bolt of electricity, it can fuck him up in all kinds of ways, depending on the power.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I was hoping some of you would be that stupid. Preferably a walking hemorrhoid like you. And it is easier to find a socket then to catch lightning.

But thats only the start.

Next one would be for you to wear nothing but a full plate armor and go and catch a lightning. Please do it. I would love to see you reverted back to your natural state of a shitstain.

Go and prove how right you are.

Construct it anyway you want, as long as its all metal and go outside and catch a lightning.

There was a time when you were a dumbfuck but you were at least funny.
Over time, one of those two aspects of you "flamboyant" personality really faded away.
Now guess which one stays stronger than ever!

hiver

I dont know nothing about that shit in your head grotesque. Keep personal diarhea to yourself.

Go catch a lightning in a metal armor. Outside, in nature.
Construct it anyway you like. Even as a Faraday suit.

Spockrock
Lets not forget that humans are, what... 80% water?
But thats just one of the factors.

Last edited by a moderator:

aeonsim

Augur
For those who want to experiment with Enchanting but don't want to fuck around with the mod and console it looks like the next beta should have plenty of materials to experiment with.

Code:
aeonsim ‏@eonsim Jan 22
@jesawyer In 1 of the PoE Beta builds can u add enchantment materials into one of the BB chars inventories? Want 2 test it @Obsidian

Josh Sawyer ‏@jesawyer Jan 22
@eonsim @Obsidian i will see what i can do. that shouldn't be difficult.

aeonsim ‏@eonsim Jan 22
@jesawyer @Obsidian Awesome, thnks not enough gems and special crafting bits in the beta 2 properly test the lashes, slaying and other encht

Josh Sawyer ‏@jesawyer 12m12 minutes ago
@eonsim @Obsidian i've included almost every gem, herb, and critter part on the BB companions. all should be in next update.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Josh emptyquoted

turn based combat, if done right, is more tactical + cooler but most games don't do turn based right

"I'd rather be making something turn-based" would be a great tagline for PoE. :M

Athelas

Arcane
If the next Obsidian Kickstarter RPG is turn-based, I bet it will a spawn a 2000+ page thread of butthurt.

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Did none of you have parents that said, "Don't go outside during a lightning storm with a giant fucking metal object!" If the lightnining doesn't kill you from the strike, the heat of the strike will melt all of your shit.

Is there a chance you'll be ok? Yes, but you'll at least have some brain damage. Plate SHOULD be weak to electricity. It's the same reason modern militaries try to stay out of battles during lightning storms because the risk factor is crazy high.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Uh, this one? Assuming Sawyer is the lead again.

Thanks to my efforts, every future Sawyer-led project will be followed by collective groaning from the Codex.

I think they should make Tim Cain systems lead of some project I wouldn't care about just to shut up the people asking for it. I'd expect it to be a) terrible b) a lot more gamey than they'd expect it to be or c) both.

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
PoE is by far a simulationist game. Sims is a simulationist game. I highly doubt PoE will let me lure half of a city into my basement, lock them in there, and watch them starve to death while peeing themselves.

hiver

well... i really doubt anyone will actually go and try it so i might as well reveal a few things to you...

Or not? Anyone going to try to catch lightning in a metal armor? Please? aww cmoonn! last call?

fuck!

ok, listen to what the man says very carefully

Carefully i said. The important bit starts with "As long as..."

and if you look closely here

You will see this guy wears big rubber boots, while the professor in that video before stays well of the ground. - in a cage - as in not an armor - which is far away from an armor that is touching your watery skin in many places. ESPECIALLY if thats all you wear.

also:
http://euclidgarment.com/Userdata.html#Warning

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Pleeeease do a live demonstration of this idea!

OK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJqoRaphiEk

Guise! i know how to do it! You dress only in plate armor or any completely metallic armor and push a finger into the electricity socket! (or anything metallic and thin enough to go into a socket that you would be holding with a metal gauntlet)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MXMJ_7mGxQ

Okay. It's not a 240V socket but a 115000V wire, but anyway.

It's all about the armour (possibly, if you construct it in that fashion) being a Faraday cage. Same as with airplanes and cars (if they are made out of metal).

Here, let me make your day: Wikipedia article on Faraday cages

hiver

armor that is touching your watery skin in many places.

I don't want to get involved in the rest of the argument, but a suit of plate armor should not be touching your skin in any places, much less many places.
That is correct.

Yet no one of these geniuses mentioned or considered that little fact.

Even so, in any normal use, your skin will be touching the armor somewhere, if nothing else then around the face. Which means wonderful things will happen. Even if you discount what huge amounts of electricity do when they pass through metal.
Let alone real lightning. which has like... a lot of Amps.

Rostere

Its like you just did not see my previous post. I wonder why. (not really)

Last edited by a moderator:

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Wow, I did not expect you to answer your own post.

Carefully i said. The important bit starts with "As long as..."

You are confusing different physical phenomena here... The Faraday suit is in the above videos the piece of equipment that allows the repairman to touch two wires at once without getting fried.

Anyway, if you feel you don't understand, you should probably ask here or at some other place.

You will see this guy wears big rubber boots, while the professor in that video before stays well of the ground.

So what effect does the rubber boots have in your opinion?

Its like you just did not see my previous post. I wonder why. (not really)

Didn't update the thread for new posts before I posted...

Also, didn't expect you to answer your own questions.

Last edited:

hiver

I did not answer my own post.

So what effect does the rubber boots have in your opinion?
None whatsoever. Its just for mad styling. :lol:

The Faraday suit is in the above videos the piece of equipment that allows the repairman to touch two wires at once without getting fried.
thats not what the Man said.

But i guess you know better then him, right?

Yes, yes, its all different phenomena... :lol:

Do we have a live test subject? Oh pleeeese... do me a solid.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
From the Matt Sheets QA thread on the obs boards

Matt Sheets said:
Here's a quick breakdown on our priorities that we use.

A1: Crash/Urgent Issue. If the game crashes or if something is urgent and needs to be fixed asap.

A2: Progression Break: If the Crit Path cannot be completed or something is preventing QA from testing accordingly

A3: Quest cannot be completed, major issues, and any bug that we should not ship with.

B: Issues that the average player will run into.

C: Minor issues that are more along with polish

D: Suggestions

When we run into an issue, we make sure to reproduce it by recreating it and making sure we can get the correct steps (depending on the issue, that can range from 4-5 times to 20+).

Internally we have 8 testers internal testers and 8 external testers. With how out Backer Beta builds function, it's the normal build process with certain files culled. So when we get close to a Backer Beta release, I have 4-5 testers jump on the Backer Beta and run through it. 90% of the bugs that occur on Backer Beta also occur on our full version.

When we test, we test on the full game.

I had more input on quests and areas in the beginning of the project when it was still being designed (might have been because I shared an office with 3x designers who I could bug about getting things I wanted in). There are times when we write bugs and the developers will ask for our opinion.

The most influence QA has is with balancing in general, and with the attribute changes that have occurred throughout the course of the Backer Beta.

Roguey said:
"I'd rather be making something turn-based" would be a great tagline for PoE.

It would actually. All of the key people on the team want to make a TB game and it shows.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Josh on SA - this change should be in the next build, is already in the current build

Sensuki said:
Was anything ever done about the fact that non-weapon based abilities would always have a not great accuracy ? (eg. per-level bonus or something).

rope kid said:
Yes. All abilities that are not weapon-based get (I believe) +1 Accuracy for every level of the character.

prometheus12345 said:
Each level seems to give you an additional + 1 accuracy to spells and non weapon abilities. E.g. Minoletta's Minor Missiles would be:
15(Base Accuracy) + 3*(Level - 1) + Level + 10(Spell accuracy)
1st level= 15 + 0 + 1 + 10=26
2nd level= 15 + 3 + 2 +10 =30
3rd level= 15 + 6 + 3 + 10=34
4th level= 15 + 9 + 4 +10 =38

Last edited:

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
Uh, this one? Assuming Sawyer is the lead again.

Thanks to my efforts, every future Sawyer-led project will be followed by collective groaning from the Codex.

I think they should make Tim Cain systems lead of some project I wouldn't care about just to shut up the people asking for it. I'd expect it to be a) terrible b) a lot more gamey than they'd expect it to be or c) both.

I can never figure out if you hold a stalkerish love for Sawyer or hate him deeply.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom