Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Hmm... This actually sounds kind of good to me. The group that I'm thinking about DMing it for is a bunch of relative PnP noobs (they've all only played for less than 6 months), and so far in our Pathfinder campaign they seem somewhat overwhelmed by the amount of char dev choices available in the Corebook alone.

I assume meta-magic feats are out then, based on your magic description? A shame if so; there was a lot of fun crunching to be had there.
It might be good for new players. There aren't a lot of little modifiers to keep track of - they've mostly been replaced by Advantage and Disadvantage - and there aren't as many choices. I like spending hours planning a character, so it's not for me.

Metamagic feats are gone, but most of them have been changed to Sorcerer class features. You get "sorcery points" that you can use to apply them to spells.

Ooh.. And based on the merits of that art alone I might have to buy at least the PHB. Those are way better than the vast majority of Paizo's PF output.

Yeah. I like a lot of Pathfinder's monster art, but the characters are inexcusable. And since they're doing that whole stupid "iconic" thing, you'll have to see the green-haired anime gnome and dwarf ranger with a crossbow again and again.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
It comes down to what you want out of the game. If you want a lot of super complexity and moving parts (and there's nothing wrong with that), there's 3.5/Pathfinder/4E. If you want something quick that allows you to be narrative without letting the rules get in the way, there's 5E, which is the spiritual successor to 2E more than 3E, no matter what it looks like on the surface.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Kaucukovnik Thanks! The legs definitely look too short, but in actuality the arms are too long! It's an unintentional illusion created by the gaudy hat that character is wearing. Also, I committed the amateurish mistake of running out of room, and kept redrawing parts to try and make it less obscene. Fact is, I watch a lot of anime, and even though I dislike the extremes of that medium, my artwork has been infected by it to a degree. The new drawing I'm working on is a little better but still has slightly larger than life eyes. I honestly dont know where my style will end up, but if I keep drawing I guess we'll find out.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
5th Edition Avenger Paladin (female)

Avenger.jpg

mediocrepoet

Edited for gender equality.

Last edited:

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Also, before anyone gives me shit, the facial distortions were intentional. I was attempting to create a mona lisa effect where the eye follows you. I think I failed but I'm happy with the attempt, lol.

Drew

Savant
Also, before anyone gives me shit, the facial distortions were intentional. I was attempting to create a mona lisa effect where the eye follows you. I think I failed but I'm happy with the attempt, lol.

I'm slightly more interested in why the mouth and chin don't line up at all.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus

I'm slightly more interested in why the mouth and chin don't line up at all.
She has a stigmata that has fucked up her face.

Edit: Goddamnit...

Try looking at her face and moving. I was trying to draw it so her eye followed the viewer.

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Hey, kudos to you for having the balls to put your stuff up in a public forum where people can criticize it. If ever stop being completely lazy about it, I'll probably eventually try and scan in all of the D&D inspired, pen & ink drawings, and pencil sketches I made twenty years ago ... I might even put up here for ridicule.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
5th Edition Avenger Paladin (female)
Edited for gender equality.

Nice, man. I'd brofist you but apparently this forum isn't agenda laden enough. ;)

I dunno, I think you're pretty talented. I had a game where the GM required you to draw your character. I had a hell of a time getting anything better than a stick man on paper. ;)

EDIT: Oh well, here. :bro:

J1M

Arcane
Surprised nobody has mentioned DungeonScape being dropped by Wizards.

Greetings friends,

Today, we have news that is both sobering and hopeful. Wizards of the Coast and Trapdoor Technologies will no longer be working together to develop DungeonScape for Fifth Edition D&D, and we will not be releasing the product in its current form. The beta program on all platforms will be shutting down at noon (MST) on Friday, October 31.

Although we can’t reveal all of the details regarding the future of DungeonScape, we are happy to say that there is indeed a future—so fear not!

This project, 100% internally funded, conceptualized, and built by our talented team at Trapdoor, has been a labor of love from the very beginning. We set out to change the way RPGs are played at the table—making our game night more about enjoying the adventure than searching for rules. We still hold true to that quest. We believe that our Story Machine™ is a powerful tool for converting information into something more useful and rich.

We’re working hard to solidify the details of what’s next for DungeonScape, and we’ll share that information with you when it’s appropriate.

Until then, please continue to follow us on Twitter and Facebook. We’ll do our very best to answer any questions you have through social media or email.

Long live the adventure.

Love,

The Trapdoor Technologies Team

Wizard Shepherd says:

[Paragon]
"Sorry Trapdoor, can't have an exclusive license with the OGL!"

[Neutral option that doesn't award influence points]
"Selling digital PDFs will make us more money."

[Renegade]
"It doesn't take a murder-suicide to kill a D&D digital strategy.* Get ready for 5e Essentials."

*See: Joseph Batten

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I've heard about DungeonScape being dropped, but I don't really know what it was or why I should care.

Alchemist

Arcane
Yeah I saw that news and just hadn't got around to commenting on it. It might be good that it fell through - opening the way for PDFs and a more open third-party license. I hope that's the direction WotC goes - it's what most people want.

Archibald

Arcane
Yeah. I like a lot of Pathfinder's monster art, but the characters are inexcusable. And since they're doing that whole stupid "iconic" thing, you'll have to see the green-haired anime gnome and dwarf ranger with a crossbow again and again.

Could someone explain whats the reasoning behind doing "iconic" characters?

Caim

Arcane
Making miniatures of them and selling them for 30 bucks as "iconic" characters, desptie that pretty much nobody will play those exact characters.

Alchemist

Arcane
Making miniatures of them and selling them for 30 bucks as "iconic" characters, desptie that pretty much nobody will play those exact characters.
Yeah I think it's mostly marketing reasons. So they have identifiable characters for their IP and can make more merchandise, comic books, novels, etc.. about them. WotC started the trend with 3rd edition I believe.

I'm glad they seem to have not used iconics in 5E so far.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
It is a clumsy attempt at brand development.

Although they kinda-sorta had iconic characters in 2e, and they were even worse. Rath, a fighter with bad stats; Cwell the Fine, a bard; Delseonora the mage, and I think there were a few other recurring example characters. Nobody remembers them anymore because they were lame. Rath had Strength 8, Dexterity 14, Constitution 13, Intelligence 13, Wisdom 7, Charisma 6 and a lousy personality (says so right in the book). Why Rath went into the Fighter trade is hard to say. Maybe peer pressure, or he came from a poor family who didn't have wizard privilege. I mean, I enjoy playing underdog characters, but Rath and friends were worse than weak, they were also dull. Then again, so was vanilla 2e.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom