Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Some people in my local group have been talking about wanting to try out 5E, so I picked up the PHB today. It bothers me quite a bit that the DMG/MM aren't out right now, since that pretty much forces people to get one of the premade adventures if they want to play the game or guess at how a lot of mechanics needed to DM will work. Once I've had time to read and digest the PHB I'll post some proper impressions. The artstyle is quite nice. Nowhere near the amazing paintings we have from the 2nd ed era, but a fair step up from late 3.5-4e dumbfuckery. It seems like a lot of stuff has been tweaked. I can't tell whether I like or hate the changes just yet.

nikolokolus

Arcane
I'm really not sure what the strategic reason for a staggered release is. I know TSR spread out AD&D 1st ed. over two years, way back when, but those were mostly written by one man in Gygax. What's WotC's excuse or angle?

J1M

Arcane
I'm really not sure what the strategic reason for a staggered release is. I know TSR spread out AD&D 1st ed. over two years, way back when, but those were mostly written by one man in Gygax. What's WotC's excuse or angle?
Excuse: more editing time results in less errata.
Angle (Renegade): Restrict monster and DM information to sell more adventures.
Angle (Paragon): Not everyone can afford to buy all three books in one month.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
It was similar with 3e. The PHB was the first to debut (with a small GM's appendix), then the DMG and the MM. Might have something to do with the massive production runs these kinds of flagship titles have. I assume we are talking at least a hundred thousand PHBs and tens of thousands of the other two on the initial print run.

Alchemist

Arcane
Guys, I have some bad news...
Dungeons & Dragons Partners with Backflip Studios
Backflip Studios creative director Ryan Drag unveiled that Backflip Studios is designing a “castle defense” style D&D game for mobile. The partnership is a natural fit as Backflip shares a common passion for the D&D brand, which is underscored in the recently released Developer Video (below). The mobile game is set to release in 2015 and additional information will be announced in the coming months.

i0fh7jE.jpg

Sources: http://www.androidcentral.com/new-dungeons-dragons-game-works-mobile
and GameInformer

nikolokolus

Arcane
I don't begrudge some small shop developer trying to make a buck or two, but one would hope that WotC has more in mind than MMOs and casual mobile games.

J1M

Arcane
I don't begrudge some small shop developer trying to make a buck or two, but one would hope that WotC has more in mind than MMOs and casual mobile games.
Maybe you can convince inXile to make a pitch for a turn-based game to Hasbro. You know, emphasis on the FREE MONEY one can print by mentioning RPG or dice on kickstarter.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Things are looking grim, bros. me and a few friends rolled up some 5E PCs and had a go at each other (since no MM out). Initial impressions were the game is the worst parts of 3E and 4E combined. I'll run a oneshot for my gaming group Saturday, gather their impressions and do a full review.

There appears to be a lot less choice in the character building. And hp scaled way harder than damage in our tests. High-level fights are going to take forever. :|

Alchemist

Arcane
Things are looking grim, bros. me and a few friends rolled up some 5E PCs and had a go at each other (since no MM out). Initial impressions were the game is the worst parts of 3E and 4E combined. I'll run a oneshot for my gaming group Saturday, gather their impressions and do a full review.

There appears to be a lot less choice in the character building. And hp scaled way harder than damage in our tests. High-level fights are going to take forever. :|
You can get some free monsters in the DM's basic PDF they released recently: http://media.wizards.com/2014/downloads/dnd/DMDnDBasicRules_v0.1.pdf
I'm curious to hear your group's impressions with a real adventure. A PvP match doesn't really represent the intent of the game.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I'll check them out when I get hope. This'll help me cook up the oneshot. Hopefully there's some midlevel monsters in the pdf -- a lv1 sewer romp is not an accurate representation either.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
There's a 256 hp adult red dragon right in page 8.

And this reminds of Monty Python:

Awakened Shrub
Small plant, unaligned
Armor Class 9
Hit Points 10 (3d6)
Speed 20 ft.
STR 3 (−4)
DEX 8 (−1)
CON 11 (+0)
INT 10 (+0)
WIS 10 (+0)
CHA 6 (−2)
Damage Vulnerabilities fire
Damage Resistances piercing
Senses passive Perception 10
Languages: one language known by its creator
Challenge
0 (10 XP)
False Appearance.
While the shrub remains motionless, it is indistinguishable from a normal shrub.
Actions
Rake. Melee Weapon Attack: +1 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1 (1d4 − 1) slashing damage.
An awakened shrub is an ordinary shrub given sentience and mobility by magic.

nikolokolus

Arcane

Depending on how the first mini-campaign goes this fall, I'm seriously considering going old-school and capping Hit Dice after level 12 and give characters a flat +3 for warriors, +2 for Thieves and Cleric types and +1 for wizarding dudes. I'm sure that will take off like a lead balloon with some of my players.

Out of curiosity, what do you see as the worst parts of 3e and 4e and where do you see them applied to 5e? My first impression without playing. is that this game feels more like a mashup of Castles & Crusades, 2e and 3e, with just a few nods to 4e; e.g. when it comes to rest/healing, etc.

aleph

Arcane
Out of curiosity, what do you see as the worst parts of 3e and 4e and where do you see them applied to 5e? My first impression without playing. is that this game feels more like a mashup of Castles & Crusades, 2e and 3e, with just a few nods to 4e; e.g. when it comes to rest/healing, etc.

Yeah, that was my impression too. Honestly, 5e feels like they tried really hard to get a modern version of 2e going. The verdict is still out if they succeeded but at least they tried hard to get rid of a lot of BS from 4e and 3e

Alchemist

Arcane
Yep 5E is nothing like the abomination of 4E, based on my initial reading. The reason I know this is that I actually want to play.

hakuroshi

Augur
There is a lot of interest from PF crowd as well, judging from the forum reactions. Many are ready to switch.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
There is a lot of interest from PF crowd as well, judging from the forum reactions. Many are ready to switch.

Not sure many are ready to switch per se, but there certainly seems to be a degree of optimism and willingness to try it out "in the field".

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
It's not that many are ready to switch.
Many just see the fighter and monk and rogue classes as ultimately broken and Paizo having no interest in trying to actually fix them.
Not sure about monk and rogue, but Fighter is unfortunately a bit static in Pathfinder. They had a real opportunity to create a rather interesting martial full BAB, but really just ended up with something that's stagnant and not very interesting with class skills and abilities. Some of the Archetypes are ok, others not so much.
The fighter is just ultimately lacking in terms of flavor and class options. And some Archetypes, like Weaponmaster, should have been awesome, but instead aren't because of the basic flaws in their design. And Paizo has shown no interest in actually fixing them either, which leads to a TON of frustration from the user base.

I had a half-orc two-handed fighter that required SO much by way of modification, etc, to make useful outside of combat. He ended up becoming the diplomat/intimidator, spoke a half-dozen languages, and was both insanely damaging and impossible to dominate, etc. But man, it took a TON of work, feat management, trait management, and planning. It bugged me that the fighter just has no real capabilities outside of combat without any real work, AND a lot of the archetypes have repeating flavors that just aren't up to snuff that often.

Stompa

Arcane
Monk in Pathfinder is broken due to its core design being broken in 3.5. It still has exact same problems it had before (poor feature synergy and MAD), making monk downright unplayable. Stealth nerfing through errata didn't help either. In comparison 5E monk seems way more attractive. Sure, 5E's martials are still a bit on the boring side, but at least they're not shafted as hard as in 3.5\PF.

Stompa

Arcane
Wasn't Zen Archer broken too at some point? I think that was due to SKR's ruling "monk can't make all flurry attacks with one weapon", making ZA's flurry impossible by RAW. Not even ranged monks are safe from dumbfuck developers.

nikolokolus

Arcane
You just reminded me why I eventually became so disillusioned with modern D&D; all of those supposed options and choices and characters always end up feeling so narrowly defined and put into a box ... There's nothing wrong with skill/feat based systems per se, but the 3.x method just never clicked for me. If you want a skill based system, better to go classless like BRP, et al. I suppose?

Then again I loathe min-maxing and prefer "human" scaled, randomly generated, flawed characters that are forced to compensate for their weaknesses with teamwork. In other words, a grumpy old man.

Caim

Arcane
Zen Archery works best on Soulbows (Prestige Class for the Soulknife, but still not very good) and Clerics dedicated to Corellon Larethian.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I remember how cool I thought Prestige classes were that first year...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom