Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

praetor

Arcane
I kind of wonder, since every DLC is a Crown of X King, will there be a Manus golddigger in every one? So like, you enter the boss room in the third DLC, and you're fighting Menandra, The Pallid Queen, same model with a different skin, and the first thing she does is summon two Havels wielding dual Helix Halberds. Then dubstep starts playing.

some folks (probably hellkitedrake) looked into the files and it appears there are 2 more Queens so yeah, that scenario is likely (except maybe for the dubstep :P)

Murk

Arcane
Waifu souls goes on

donno why, but the drakeblood armor upgrades like complete dogshit. the whip-sword upgrades poorly too. Donno what the dill is.

Last edited:

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
and the first thing she does is summon two Havels wielding dual Helix Halberds. Then dubstep starts playing.
and you get two of these as a bonus after the fight
Dark-Souls-%D1%84%D1%8D%D0%BD%D0%B4%D0%BE%D0%BC%D1%8B-Dark-Souls-2-DS-screenshot-1403447.png

Kanedias

Savant
I kind of wonder, since every DLC is a Crown of X King, will there be a Manus golddigger in every one? So like, you enter the boss room in the third DLC, and you're fighting Menandra, The Pallid Queen, same model with a different skin, and the first thing she does is summon two Havels wielding dual Helix Halberds. Then dubstep starts playing.

some folks (probably hellkitedrake) looked into the files and it appears there are 2 more Queens so yeah, that scenario is likely (except maybe for the dubstep :P)

Nadalia, Bride of Ash
Alsanna, Silent Oracle
Elana, Queen of Ruin

Yes. Nadalia is probably related to the Iron King because of the reference to ash, with the other being with the Ivory King by process of elimination. These were all names in the in the NPC list in the game files.

Stonewolf

Augur
the convention in the game, only instead of having a nexus you travel by tunnels. It had very strong Demon Souls vibe when playing through DaS2 so I never saw it as a flaw of the game, it was just different than the first DaS. Because you can teleport from the very beggining creating a complex labirynth of areas feels a bit unecessary.

Biggest flaw of Dark Souls 1 for me is that you even get the Lordvessel, the game only gets worse from that point on imho.

Part of the atmosphere is being stuck in the maze with no easy way out. Imagine being in Blighttown for the first time, you find the bonfire and just port back and forth at will - that would suck and break the immersion.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
For the 1st time in my life a bought a 'seaon's pass' for something (PS3). But the DLC has not downloaded. I got the 1.06 patch, but no DLC. What are the exact steps for obtaining the DLC on PS3 when someone has the 'seaon's pass'?

For the 1st time in my life a bought a 'seaon's pass' for something (PS3). But the DLC has not downloaded. I got the 1.06 patch, but no DLC. What are the exact steps for obtaining the DLC on PS3 when someone has the 'seaon's pass'?
go to games data and delete that weapon pack dlc(around 100kbs) than go to ps store and check season pass. there should be option to download it(again file around 100kbs) download it and run the game. you shoud have now dragon talon in your equipment

at least thats how i had to do it. fucking sony and their fucking ancient dashboard

edit.

i found the original post

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/2bhjy3/help_crown_of_the_sunken_king_dlc_ps3_europe/

praetor

Arcane
i just had to go to the ps3 store and download the DLC for free (but i did not activate that weapons dlc)

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
bros bros bros

once again I want advise on weapons
I'm somewhere in midgame after Old Iron King, I'm using a +10 Claymore, it's awesome, but I want something else with magic or lightning or whatever element is useful. Any tips? I'd like some greatsword or straight sword probably.

And what SL is okay for DLC on NG and what elements are useful there?

Stonewolf

Augur
Does your character have high INT or FTH? Elemental damage scales with that, so i you are pure melee you will be lowering your damage significantly.

Elwro

Arcane
go to games data and delete that weapon pack dlc(around 100kbs) than go to ps store and check season pass. there should be option to download it(again file around 100kbs) download it and run the game. you shoud have now dragon talon in your equipment

at least thats how i had to do it. fucking sony and their fucking ancient dashboard

edit.

i found the original post

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/2bhjy3/help_crown_of_the_sunken_king_dlc_ps3_europe/
Thanks, and thanks praetor . Playing it and loving it.

Murk

Arcane
bros bros bros

once again I want advise on weapons
I'm somewhere in midgame after Old Iron King, I'm using a +10 Claymore, it's awesome, but I want something else with magic or lightning or whatever element is useful. Any tips? I'd like some greatsword or straight sword probably.

And what SL is okay for DLC on NG and what elements are useful there?

Are you in NG? Defender's Greatsword is a good lightning greatsword. Black Knight GS is good for fire damage for PVE as well.

Also, you can just infuse your claymore? In the DLC, no element is useful as the enemies are very resistant to all elemental damage. A good strike weapon (mace, greathammer) works well. Or a dagger and backstab away.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Does your character have high INT or FTH? Elemental damage scales with that, so i you are pure melee you will be lowering your damage significantly.
Nah, I'm a STR guy.

Are you in NG? Defender's Greatsword is a good lightning greatsword. Black Knight GS is good for fire damage for PVE as well.

Also, you can just infuse your claymore? In the DLC, no element is useful as the enemies are very resistant to all elemental damage. A good strike weapon (mace, greathammer) works well. Or a dagger and backstab away.
I want to keep claymore clean because of STR scaling. And I'll look for Defender's GS and BK GS, thx bro!

Murk

Arcane
You can just buy another Claymore and infuse that. But, BK GS is solid if you want a 'pre infused' weapon that can also be infused for additional fire damage. Defender GS is made from the soul of the 2nd to last boss.

Bahamut

Arcane
Got some good ammount of free time and want to start this anew and i want some tips:
I was a shield/heavy armor fag in DS1 so i wanted to go with dual wield this time. I am looking for some general tips for suvival, last time i tried this i was horrible raped by eighter Pursuer or those 2h wielding tanks in Tower of Flame,
I know i should git gud with rolls, but anything besides?

praetor

Arcane
Got some good ammount of free time and want to start this anew and i want some tips:
I was a shield/heavy armor fag in DS1 so i wanted to go with dual wield this time. I am looking for some general tips for suvival, last time i tried this i was horrible raped by eighter Pursuer or those 2h wielding tanks in Tower of Flame,

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

While I wouldn't downplay the effectiveness of double mace powerstance, wouldn't simply spamming lightning spear be better if you were looking for ezmode?

On an unrelated note, been listening to Sinh's theme, easily one of the best in the game thus far. And better than Kalameet's as well.

Murk

Arcane
While I wouldn't downplay the effectiveness of double mace powerstance, wouldn't simply spamming lightning spear be better if you were looking for ezmode?

The stagger-stunlock is what really made the mace powerstance shine. For many of the smaller humanoid bosses, it guaranteed taking no damage. It's not as simple now, and so lightning spear spam can do the trick, but for that you need attunement and faith which you may not want. Where-as 24 STR is something almost all builds can use (unless going pure caster in which case lightning spear it is). Also, teh nerfs.

Donno, personally half the fun is trying to make your own setup work or finding a different setup. These videos I mostly treat as a joke. If a first time player actually went "oh, maces OP, must use" I imagine they'd have a lot less fun than I did my first time through.

Elwro

Arcane
Guys.

I can't stagger anyone with my Large Club +10 when I'm summoned as a phantom. I think I could do that when I played in June. Now I can't break anyone's poise, even if it's a lowly enemy that I stagger easily in solo PvE.

I cannot also hit any buttons as a phantom. I guess that kinda makes sense (only kinda).

Is that how it's supposed to work?

praetor

Arcane
where the fuck did the programmers at From learn their trade? source

reddit said:
I'm sure some of you have noticed that riposte damage has been kind of weird since the patch. On and off over the time since the patch, in-between working on collecting weapon scaling data, I have been testing ripostes to figure out what was going on. Tonight I finished up all the testing I could think of doing and have definitive answers on what causes ripostes to act so strange. First I would like to thank/u/rhoparkour for first bringing my attention to the bug, /u/eden108 for helping me finalize all the tests tonight and narrow down the bug's impact, and /u/polycystic for spending tons of time with me testing, and figuring out what caused it.

Every weapon's riposte does damage in multiple ticks of damage. Ripostes will do either 3 or 2 ticks of damage depending on the animation. Weapons with the dagger or straight sword animation will do 3 ticks (dagger, straight sword, greatsword, curved sword, katana, thrusting sword, spear, halberd, lance, twinblade, whip, claw, fists). Weapons with the great hammer or ultra greatsword animation will do 2 ticks (ultra greatsword, curved greatsword, axe, greataxe, hammer, great hammer, reaper).

The amount of ticks that actually get applied is dependent on framerate. This includes the framerate of the person riposting and the person being riposted. The magic number that determines when this glitch activates is 40 FPS. 41 FPS will get the full damage. Dagger and straight sword animations will do 2 ticks instead of 3, or exactly 2/3 damage. Ultra greatsword animations (UGS, curved greatsword, reaper) will do 1 tick instead of 2, or exactly 1/2 damage. Great hammer animation (axe, greataxe, hammer, great hammer) are unaffected and will always do 2 ticks. Going even lower, such as to 20 FPS, doesn't reduce ticks of damage even more.

Here are some examples on when the glitch is active:

40 FPS riposting NPC: active

41 FPS riposting NPC: inactive

PvP, riposting someone who is at 40 FPS while you're at 60 FPS: active

PvP, riposting someone who is at 60 FPS while you're at 40 FPS: active

PvP, riposting someone who is at 40 FPS while you're at 40 FPS: active

PvP, riposting someone who is at 41 FPS while you're at 41 FPS: inactive

Great hammer animation being unaffected interested me, so I took off all armor to make my slash defense equal to my strike defense and got riposted with a raw malformed skull (strike, 598 AR) and a mastodon halberd (slash, 600 AR at 99 strength). The mastodon halberd at 40 fps (2 ticks) did 4 more damage than the malformed skull (2 ticks), and did much more at 60 fps (3 ticks). So relative to a constant (great hammers), weapons with 3 tick ripostes have the potential to deal more damage.

I then tested backstabs to see if the bug was present there. Backstabs with quick ticks of damage are also affected. This includes great hammer animations now, which have a 3 tick damage backstab. Stuff like daggers and straight swords aren't affected because they have 2 ticks that are very widely spread out.

I also tested guard breaks, but that was last week so I can't remember the exact details. They are also affected by the glitch, so assume any guard breaks where the damage is applied at once have the bug.

This is everything I could think of to test the bug. If anyone has any ideas for more tests I would love to hear them. This is absolutely disgusting that Fromsoft would let such a huge bug tied to framerate of all things into the game.

TL;DR: Stay at at least 41 FPS for your criticals to do full damage.

Edit: Forgot to mention that all tests were done on PC. I have no idea how criticals work on consoles so if some of you could do some tests and let us know that would be great.

tl;dr: even ripostes are tied to frames. holy fucking amateur shit

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom