Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Jester

Arbiter
Marxism–Leninism must be spread.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't think we even look like servants, we would have to take of our armor and lose the weapons and that's just too risky since we have no idea what we are dealing with.
The upside of being a mage is that you don't even need weapons and armor to drop your enemies. And really, I don't think you can do much with your whip and dagger anyway. Besides, if the Christine is to be believed, Derryth looks like a farmer, and Thais is, well, a courtesan. You are not exactly the nobility yet.

The main difference in B as opposed to C and D is that it is trying to avoid the fighting altogether and to do everything covertly. We are equipped with the spells that can suggest to a guard that the prisoner never left her room, or that he never saw anyone and merely took a nap on the watch. You do not exactly need armed allies for that. I would consider gathering a team of 8 people and then storming the place without knowing what we are dealing with significantly more risky.

By the way, Fangshi, can you buy your way into nobility? This was Thais' dream, if I remember correctly, and it would be nice to pamper her a bit. Also, do our bracelets look unbefitting for a servant? Can they be passed for a regular cheap jewelry?

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
By the way, Fangshi, can you buy your way into nobility? This was Thais' dream, if I remember correctly, and it would be nice to pamper her a bit.

Probably. It would have been one of the options had you chosen to stay in human lands and properly establish yourself.

Provided nothing horrible happens you can look into it when you get back though I don't see how that helps Thaïs with her dream unless you plan to marry her or marry her off?

Also, do our bracelets look unbefitting for a servant? Can they be passed for a regular cheap jewelry?

They are largely unremarkable. Someone giving you a passing glance would not be likely to notice them. They are also quite thin and fairly easy to cover with clothing.

They are very well made though so if someone is paying close attention they might raise a few questions if they see them.

Current Tally:
Baltika9 1.A 2.C
Jester 1.D>A 2.B
Nevill 1.A 2.B
asxetos 1.D 2.C
Smashing Axe 1.B>E>A 2.E
Cassidy 1.D>E 2.B>A
Azira 1.A 2.B
Kz3r0 1.A 2.C
Kipeci 1.B 2.E
GreyViper 1.A 2.B
Zero Credibility 1.D>B 2.D>C
Grimgravy 1.B>D 2.E>D

Pre-Flop:

A) 5 votes
B) 3 votes
C) -
D) 4 votes
E) -

A) -
B) 5 votes
C) 3 votes
D) 1 vote
E) 3 votes

Post-Flop:

A) 7 votes
B) 1 vote
C)
D) 4 votes
E)

A)
B) 5 votes
C) 4 votes
D)
E) 3 votes

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Fangshi said:
Provided nothing horrible happens you can look into it when you get back though I don't see how that helps Thaïs with her dream unless you plan to marry her or marry her off?
Well, marrying her is how this LP is going to end anyway ;), but I meant buying it for her. Derryth is not the one who dreams about the title, or is she? Thais is a partner, but we are the ones in charge of where the money go.

I just thought, if she is our public representative, she might as well get all the public titles. We can be her gray cardinal.

Out of curiosity - can the house of Albrecht grant us a title, and if yes, how would it affect our standing back in the human lands?

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Well, marrying her is how this LP is going to end anyway ;), but I meant buying it for her. Derryth is not the one who dreams about the title, or is she? Thais is a partner, but we are the ones in charge of where the money go.

I just thought, if she is our public representative, she might as well get all the public titles. We can be her gray cardinal.

It is not so much that Derryth wants the title in itself (though yes there is a part of her that always wanted to be a princess... a fireball throwing princess but a princess all the same) but she would like the power that comes with such a title. Her instincts are at heart those of a mage. It is not just enough to be very powerful, others must know that you are powerful as well. For example when she gets an excuse to use her magic on someone she often goes all out just to make a point. She finds it immensely enjoyable. It is a whole prestige thing. As such her first inclination would be to take the title for herself.

That being said she is also fairly free with her money when it comes to her friends (30pts for a wedding) so she would have no real problem with buying Thaïs a title either. I can make all options available when the time comes.

Out of curiosity - can the house of Albrecht grant us a title, and if yes, how would it affect our standing back in the human lands?

As king, Albrecht can in theory do anything. He will definitely grant you an honorary title should you ask which will raise your standing quite a bit within the kingdom and should have a knock on effect in the eastern empire as well. As for an actual title with lands, resources, what have you. That gets a little more complicated. The noble houses would be very resistant to humans entering the upper classes of the kingdom so he is unlikely to do so unless you can convince him that you would not be a liability. If you could help him consolidate the power of the monarchy then the sky could be the limits.

Any title you receive would raise your profile in the eastern empire (not so much the western empire as they simply do not care), an honorary title would raise it a little, a title with some actual power behind it would raise it a lot. The more xenophobic members of the nobility will also take note of your connection to the dwarves and that may have repercussions depending on what you do and where you go.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
You guys talk about not taking any more dangerous risks, but you're rushing the place of an unknown, but supposedly powerful/influential dwarven figure without knowing who they are or what they want, on behalf of someone you haven't met before and have no idea about the character thereof other than Thais is an associate and this person is bad with people.

I just do not understand why we don't try to talk to these people first. If only, if only to understand our opponent more, if they even are.

Fangshi

Arcane
Should be safe to close up the voting now.

1.A wins, you will enlist the services of Mister Mayer to conquer the world! establish a global banking system...

2.B wins you will attempt to infiltrate the compound, just the two of you... not exactly a "safe" choice but we will see how it goes...

Update in 12-14 hrs probably.

Fangshi

Arcane
Chapter 6: The Black Arrows

Myrgard at night. A shimmering jewel against the dark, barren hills. By royal ordinance every shop and home facing a street is required to hang lanterns out throughout the night. The result is truly breathtaking as the entire city is lit up by thousands of tiny flames.

Of course this also makes sneaking around more difficult.

As a result you quickly stop by the inn to drop off your things. While you are there you quickly search for your allies but they are all still out visiting Trakk's family or wandering the city drinking. It would take hours to find them and that is time you simply do not have. You will have to go without them, but you have an idea that might help a little.

You approach the innkeeper, "Miss Thaïs and I are going to retire for the evening. We do not want to be disturbed under any circumstances. Understood?"

"Aye, miss. I will see to it that you and your friend are not interrupted," he winks at you.

You give him a strained smile and press on, "Good, do not bother us with anything until at least mid morning," you give the dwarf a small pouch of silver and he nods enthusiastically. Taking Thaïs by the arm you lead her upstairs.

She leans into you and whispers, "What was that all about?"

You grin at her, "If they think we are upstairs then we will have an alibi in case things go sour at the compound. We have no idea who we are dealing with but it might help."

She nods along as you explain, "Good thinking, every little bit might help."

You leave most of your equipment behind. Armour will do neither of you any good if you are caught and most of your weapons would just give you away. Thankfully you are both mages, even completely unarmed you are still very dangerous. Dressed all in black and armed only with a knife each the two of you slip out through the side entrance and escape into the night.

Thankfully the south side of the city is mostly warehouses and storage with the odd block of housing scattered in. In contrast to the rest of the city it is poorly lit but to compensate each warehouse is reminiscent of a small fortress, filled with guards and who knows what else. You do not have too much difficulty finding your target and slip up to a side door.

Now the difficult part begins.

A single rusted lantern rocks slowly on its hook overtop of the side entrance. It throws enough light that you can make out two massive figures huddled together sharing a cigarette while guarding the door. You each pick a target and strike out with an assault spell. The two guards collapse in relative silence as you advance on the door.

A person picks up an odd assortment of skills robbing tombs. Every now and again you would be required to pick a lock and you like to think you are fairly good at it. It takes you a few minutes and a couple times you wish Brigit was here but you manage to get the door open and slip inside. You stuff the guards into a nearby storage closet.

"A shame they are not smaller or we could steal their uniforms," Thaïs muses.

"Wouldn't be a great idea. We know nothing about these people, all it would take is a moment of questioning and they would likely uncover our ruse," you scan the hallway, your eyes light upon what look to be the servants' quarters, "That being said a disguise might be a good idea. We could pretend to be maids... it is doubtful they would tell the servants anything which should give us a plausible cover..."

You slip into the servants' quarters and thankfully find them empty. A few minutes of searching turn up a pair of uniforms. Tunics, black with gold trim, cut low, and breeches to match. They are of remarkable quality, whoever commissioned them definitely has money. Probably not a good thing for you, you are forced to conclude.

As carefully as possible the two of you slip through the compound, you pass the odd servant or guard but none of them stop you. Most are rather intoxicated. It seems much of the compound is tied up feasting. You move as a pair of ghosts while around you, you can hear the laughing and shouting of dozens of guards. Your friend leans in close, whispering in you ear, "Could it be they are celebrating the capture of Meletē?"

You whisper back, "Maybe, but the whole compound though? She would have to be fairly important to warrant that kind of response."

You stop short in front of a beautiful, engraved door. Solid oak with brass hinges and knob. To the left of the door rests a small plaque, 'Ybert, Accounts', "Hmm... maybe we should check it out?"

You press your ear to the door, you hear nothing and so slowly you push the door open and slip inside.

The office is a simple affair, a basic rug, simple desk and three chairs. In one corner rests a cabinet and it is to this that you are drawn. The two of you open it and begin searching through this organization's records. Most of the records are simply lists of sums as one might expect... payment from various customers for "services rendered".

"So we are dealing with mercenaries here?" Thaïs asks her gaze fixed on the records before her.

"Looks like. Either mercenaries or some sort of trading house but given that they kidnapped your friend I would put my money on mercenaries. My guess would be that these men are simply working a contract and..." you finger through the last pages of the newest ledger, "Ah, here we go, the last entry must be your friend, 'M- found, detained, awaiting payment from B.M.F.'"

Your partner nods, "Right, we should get moving and find Meletē then. We have to get her out of here before they try to move her."

The two of you slip back out into the dimly lit hallway and wind your way deeper into the compound. As you creep deeper the air grows cooler. You are moving away from the occupied portion of the compound and into the warehouse section. You are about to turn back when you are treated to a truly impressive litany of curses.

The voice screams out from the office across the warehouse, "Fuck you, you Wyrd-damned, bunch of dimwitted whoresons! One arm! Give me one fucking arm and I will do things to you-" you can not make out the rest of her words over a chorus of laughter.

Thaïs hisses, "That voice, it is Meletē."

The two of you cut across the warehouse as the laughter dies down, "Oh yeah birdie, what will ya do to us?"

As you get closer you take in the scene through a large window that opens onto the warehouse floor. In the dark warehouse you can hide easily and get a clear view of the well lit office. Meletē is bound to a chair as three large sell-swords and a Beserk stand around drinking. She hurls insults at them as they goad her on.

"You maul-reaming, ass-looting, piss-bathing, tit, I will tear your eyes out... I will rip your shrivelled, little, cock off.. I will...mmpphf-" you watch on as a small door in the side of the office opens. As soon as the guards hear the door opening they jam a rag into Meletē's mouth.

A thin, well dressed and handsome man steps into the room. His features are sharp, intelligent and hard as if carved from marble by some divine hand. You eyes are drawn down his face to the single most magnificent moustache you have ever encountered in all your years, as you stare at him, he speaks, "Gentlemen, what in the name of Wyrd are you doing?"

The lead guard steps forward, and scratches the back of his head in mild embarrassment, "Sorry captain... we got a bit bored and wanted ta talk to the prisoner..."

The new arrival gives the guard a look of bemused contempt, "The four of you came down here to talk?"

"Yes sir," the guard nods emphatically as he perspires slightly.

He continues to address the group, staring down each in turn, "Good, as our instructions are to return her to our client unharmed and given the payday on offer here the boss would not appreciate you damaging her. There would be... repercussions for the man responsible. Do you all understand?"

Each of the four men nod as the captain waves to his prisoner, "Good, now untie her. I would like some company and I suspect the lady would prefer coming with me to staying with any of you. Is that not so, my lady?"

Meletē looks at the captain, then back to the four guards, finally she spits out the rag and nods reluctantly. The guards cut her loose as the captain extends his arm, cautiously she takes it, "I don't know what you are up to you snake but if you try anything-"

He shakes his head in disappointment, "My lady I merely wish for some company, nothing more, nothing less. I have no interest in harming you. You do not have to fear me, save that and your threats for my employer."

The captain leads her into the side room from which he came as the four guards pull chairs up to a small table and begin playing cards.

Somehow you need to neutralize the guards, get into the side room and free Meletē. You turn to Thaïs and the two of you begin to plot.

1. The Plan: First you have to deal with the guards. It would be better to neutralize them before they can raise any alarm.

A) Infiltration: one of the crates in the warehouse contains wine. You will pose as servants and bring refreshments to the guards. When they let their... well guard down you will incapacitate them and storm the side room.

B) Assault: You can not drop all four with regular assault spells but if you link up with Thaïs you could try your experimental mass assault spell which should do the trick. You are not sure what it will do to the guards but that is not really your concern. Once the guards are dealt with you will push into the room.

C)Negotiation: You will simply walk up to the guards and request an audience with their captain to negotiate the release of the prisoner. These are mercenaries and you are rich, you should be able to work something out...

D) Deception: You will use false memory, compulsion and suggestion to draw out the guards one at a time and neutralize them. Once the guards are dealt with you will push into the room

E) freeform

2. Intent: You have no idea how many enemies are in the adjoining room or what they are doing. You will have to "play it by ear" but you can at least decide on your intent towards them.

A) Kill'em all: you will not hold back if it comes to violence. You will aim to kill. It will be quicker this way, if messier.

B) Restrained: if it comes to violence you will attempt to incapacitate rather than kill. This may cost you time but should save lives if it comes to it.

C) freeform

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
D>B - It seems the safest action. I really wish we tried to negotiate first before charging in. Their captain seems a reasonable man.
B - Most of our spells are mental anyway which is perfect for non-lethal takedowns. If things go sour and we're captured, we'd be much better treated if we don't kill any of these men. It makes me think of how the Voroshk were treated when they tried to escape the Black Company. We don't want to piss off these type of men.

Nevill

Arcane
Hm. How much time is left until the audience with the king?

Can we request a favor and mount a pursue with the meanest and fastest guys around, now that we know their orders are not to harm Melete? I would assume the king would have enough resourses to intercept the mercenary company en route and deal with them swiftly, if needs be.

Or we can decide to do everything ourselves.

Fangshi

Arcane
Well it has been one day. Bari will be around in another day or so and you will go to the audience after that (maybe two days from now). They will probably leave before then but if you are willing to take the risk you could ask the King and see what happens.

Fangshi

Arcane
GreyViper said:
Would the Beserk be the hardest to use mind spells on?

He is probably the best fighter, though Derryth is no warrior and does not really know what to look for. As for mind control, hard to say. The one with the highest WIS and combined willpower will be the hardest one to control. But none of the four guards appear to be terribly strong willed from what you can tell.

Yeah, going with DB as well.

Provided our luck holds it is even possible we could pull that off without raising an alarm. In which case we could be out of here without anyone knowing we where here. Did we by any chance remember to take an extra servant uniform for Meletē?

Jester

Arbiter
DB
Thats super moustache can be a mage. How "laud" are spells we will use un D?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom