Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Jester

Arbiter
We will see wise sage... we will see.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
treave said:
Poor Emperor. :cry:
The guy is dead either way. Unless he somehow survives in A, in which case it becomes 'poor everyone'.

Fangshi said:
Perhaps he is fated to end the dynasty but maybe he can also restore it, replace it or remove the need for it altogether, make the right choices and we may still get a "good" ending after all.
That's what I am hoping for. The next Emperor will be of Tujue origins.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Another Path

“Really? You haven’t bedded them? I’m surprised!” laughs the prince. The two of you are catching up and exchanging stories late into the night, accompanied by wine. Qilin and Cao’er had retired to another room to give you two room, while Tulu Huodu had returned to the Wudu Cult to brief his men.

“What do you take me for, some libidinous maniac?”

“I did think you were the sort that did anything that moved. Certainly the chambermaids were full of assorted tales as proof. Are those girls that unattractive to you? I thought they were rather fetching, myself.” Shun grins as he downs another cup of wine, his lips loosened by the drink.

“No, it’s not that. It’s just that…” You cannot find the words to express how you feel at the moment. Shun gives you an evil grin, wagging his finger. “Ah, I get it. I understand. You can’t get it up if they mean something to you? Virginity is a state of mind, and you are a virgin when it comes to serious relationships, eh?”

“What?”

“Better get over that mental block, my friend, or else some poor girls are going to be really disappointed in the future.”

You throw a cup at him, missing his head by a fair distance as it breaks against the wall. The Crown Prince laughs. “Just like old times,” he grins happily. “Anyway, so the plan is divided into two main parts?” you ask, attempting to change the topic. “Back to the plan, huh?” sighs the prince wearily. “Yes. First my agents will ensure that the Emperor passes away peacefully and naturally. Then, once his passing is announced, a good majority of my brothers who think they qualify for the throne will rush into the palace. There will be bickering, though whether bloodshed will ensue is still up in the air. When they are all gathered in one place, all thoughts of caution thrown to the wind in their blind ambition, we will capture them and secure the palace for my arrival.”

“In order for it to be perfect, however, you need a further distraction. Something – or someone – that will pull their attention away from your men maneuvering behind the scenes, and ensure that they are all gathered in one spot…” you say, leaning against the table.

“Yes. I would prefer that you take that role. Leave the Emperor’s death in my hands.”

“Are your men on that side trustworthy?”

“Yes,” he says confidently. “Of course, if you really do want to assist in the assassination, I will not say no. Your presence will make me relieved either way.” Shun looks down, muttering, “It will all soon be over at any rate.”

“Are you sure about this, Shun?” you ask.

“Of course. What other choice do I have?” His voice is pained – as he looks up at you, you realize that he had been putting up a front when dealing with Tulu Huodu. Only now, when it is just the two of you alone, could he relax and be true to his own heart. He is not as sure of his path as he seemed to be even though he has resolved to carry it through to the end. “If I could wait for him to awaken I would, but that would lead to pointless deaths of innocents in the meantime. Better to sacrifice his life for his country. It is more than he has ever done in all his years in power anyway,” says Shun bitterly. The both of you fall silent.

After a while, you break the silence. “Do you really need him dead? What if he just disappears?”

“What are you talking about?”

“What if his pills truly turned him immortal, and he ascended into Heaven?”

Shun stares at you. “Are you drunk? Those pills don’t work! We know that!”

“But no one would dare to claim otherwise, right? It’s the same reason why you cannot just say he did himself in,” you say, inspiration flooding into your mind. “So… if he goes missing in a way only an immortal could, say, from his chambers which have been barred from the inside, and leaves behind a note of some sort saying that he is now in the Celestial Palace and he is very happy, and everyone should follow you as the new Emperor… what would happen?”

Shun bites his lower lip pensively. “I… I don’t know. It’s crazy. It just might… There would be arguments amongst the brothers until I manage to return anyway, but it would certainly reduce the number of siblings willing to make a bid for the throne. What are you thinking of, anyway?”

“If you do not truly want to kill your father, you do not have to, Shun. There are plenty of retired emperors amongst your own ancestors. Emperor Zhaozong, Emperor Shunzong, Emperor Xuanzong, Emperor Ruizong… even the founding Emperor, Emperor Gaozu himself, chose to abdicate and allow his son to rule. It would be no surprise for Emperor Taisheng to retire to Heaven as an immortal, which is a far better place than any of the other emperors went to in retirement,” you explain. “There is precedent… and the best part is, no one can say otherwise. All we have to do is kidnap the Emperor. It is a good thing he is not conscious… I mean to say, his spirit is communing with the Jade Emperor and has temporarily relinquished its mortal shell.”

“Kidnap the Emperor!” Shun can only laugh in disbelief. “Stealing him away from the Imperial Palace is far more difficult than ending his life, Jing. Where would you even put him, afterwards? Is there any place safe enough to hide him until he reaches the end of his life?”

“I happen to know an island paradise in the southern seas… I assure you, the Emperor will not know the difference.”

This time, Shun’s laughter is from genuine amusement. “You… Jing, you really are something else. Always… always you turn all my logic on its head and show me another path. Oh, how I wish I could go with this plan. It would be so much more fun. So much less troubling.”

“Why won’t you?”

“Because I cannot trust anyone besides you to carry it out. Having the Emperor disappear is one thing… having him alive, and possibly waking up someday… that is something I cannot entrust to just anyone. I can only trust you with it. You are the only one in this world I can trust to act according to my heart and not what you think is best for me. As your brother I know you mean well and it is a plan that I think would be wonderful, but as your prince I dread the consequences should you fail. Do you know what that means?”

You understand what he is saying. Succeed or fail, this plan’s responsibility will lie on your shoulders… or rather, your head. That is the only way Shun can afford to justify allowing you to carry out this mission both to himself and to his agents in the capital that are awaiting his orders. The assassination is the less risky path, compared to getting away with an unconscious Emperor from the middle of the Imperial Palace, but still…

A. You will participate in the assassination attempt. The agents may need backup if things go wrong, and having them get away unnoticed is the most urgent detail of the entire plan. Here is where your attentions should be focused.

B. You act as the distraction, as Shun wishes. This should be a relatively easy task, though no less risky – you would have to face his brothers and laugh in their faces. It would be rather interesting to rub their royal pride in the mud.

C. You persuade Shun to carry out Operation Immortal. Let the Emperor Taisheng be known forever as the one who had succeeded in attaining immortality and the wisdom of the universe, and then send him off as an addition to Zhang Jue’s collection of oddities.

While preparing for the mission, Chi Tianxie and Yoriwaka have offered some training as help. The Scarlet Scorpion, seemingly eager for you to gain a better impression of him and his daughter, approaches you with several suggestions:

A. Wudu Fushun (Five Poisons Taming, 五毒服馴) The ability to tame and train the five principle poisonous animals of the Wudu Cult - the snake, the centipede, the toad, the scorpion and the spider - to do your bidding. Real experts are said to be able to use these animals as scouts, and even command an army of them.

B. Ruanhong Zhusuo (Crimson Spider Silken Ropes, 軟紅蛛索) A technique that relies on the Wudu Cult’s specially treated spider silk, which is as tough as steel. The threads can be used to enhance offense or defense in equal measure when wrapped tightly, and are extremely effective at binding enemies when unravelled.

C. Qinggong upgrade: Through incorporation of the Wudu Cult’s own qinggong, you manage to raise your skill. (Qinggong +1, Kuanglang Step upgraded to +3 Stealth, +2 Agility)

Yoriwaka, impressed at your loyalty to the Prince on undertaking this dangerous mission, has offered more help so that you may succeed at your task and return alive.

A. Reikan upgrade: Upon further instruction from Yoriwaka, Reikan now increases your perception by a greater amount. (Reikan upgraded to +3 Perception)

B. Kagemi. (影身, Shadow Body). A method of silent moving that melds well with your Kuanglang Step – Kuanglang Step will increase to a higher level, allowing you to be undetectable to all but an elite few. (Additional +2 Stealth to Kuanglang Step).

Last edited:

asxetos

Augur
C. This will be hard. I bet we will have only one chance not to die and carry out the operation, but i am willing to take that risk.
C. I like all options but Kuanglang Step upgrade is a no-brainer combo with 1C.
B. I really would like to pick A here, but again, no-brainer combo with 1C.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Just to point out, the qinggong upgrade is actually a generic skill/technique level increase and you will have chances to train such an improvement elsewhere, but the Wudu-specific techniques will not be so easy to get in the future.

Of course, you should pick what you are interested in and think will be more useful to you, so it depends on whether you think the Wudu techniques are a good investment. No right or wrong answer here.

Nevill

Arcane
Oh, wow. "Zhang Jue’s collections of oddities" cracked me up hard. He should start a museum one day.

I am incredibly relieved that Shun was just putting up a tough front in the previous update, and that he is still a bro. I don't want him to oversee the murder of his own father.

CCB for maximum stealth.

Last edited:

Anabanana

Augur
Beautiful. Although all the options are extremely attractive, I cannot in good conscience choose anything but CCB. Let's go Operation Immortal! Not getting that perception boost hurts though. And the snake eye. And the spider silk defense-offense combo. treave why do you torture us like this

EDIT: Screw it, going for BBA.

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
B immortal emperor sounds delightfully amusing, but too risky. Let's snub Shun's brothers instead :troll:
A Poisonous centipedes inside the eyesocket! :yeah:
A Perception upgrade? Yes please. :drink:

Nevill

Arcane
When we were offered a choice between +2 PER and +2 Stealth, you voted for stealth. And now when the choice is between +1 PER and +2 Stealth, you are voting for Reikan?

I just can't understand some people.

asxetos

Augur
treave how is the plan for Operation Immortal going to work out? Shun will have someone else cause a distraction while we sneak in and take the Emperor away? I really want to pick 2B but it seems that stealth will be of outmost importance to the mission.

Nevill

Arcane
treave said:
Just to point out, the qinggong upgrade is actually a generic skill/technique level increase and you will have chances to train such an improvement elsewhere.
But if we take it now, we would be able to train it even further later when we come upon such a chance... is that how it works?

I rather like the thought of having at least 1 technique we are really proficient in.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Edit:CBA

A stupid high stealth should help to limit the YOLOtigering a bit, maybe, hopefully.

Although I like the idea of trolling the princes (Think of the stories), I think C would mitigate some of ZJ's anger at our continual failures.

As for diversifying our skillset, while I want to, I think it's far more important that we work to master the skills we already possess. They're fairly low, relative to our competition.

And we'd have 8 stealth, which is masterly. We might even mess with Shun's perception guy.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave how is the plan for Operation Immortal going to work out? Shun will have someone else cause a distraction while we sneak in and take the Emperor away?

It can go one of two ways should C win:
1) I plan it out and it proceeds as usual.
2) I give the outline of the conditions and resources and you guys plan it out.

Up to you which you prefer.

treave said:
Just to point out, the qinggong upgrade is actually a generic skill/technique level increase and you will have chances to train such an improvement elsewhere.
But if we take it now, we would be able to train it even further later when we come upon such a chance... is that how it works?

Possibly, but qinggong skills are quite common. Every major sect has their own variant, though most focus on agility/combat skill boosts - stealth is rarer. For example, you'd have been offered an upgrade that made Kuanglang Step increase agility and unarmed from Wudang had you completed that particular questline. Your qinggong is somewhat like a mishmash of many styles due to your Maniac training, while other people opt to learn more than one qinggong technique. It'll get harder to level it as you rank up, of course. Once you reach rank 7 or so, you will have less chances to train it.

A stupid high stealth should help to limit the YOLOtigering a bit, maybe, hopefully.

Or it could lead to "We can't be caught because of stupid sexy stealth, let's go all in!", increasing YOLO behaviour. :lol:

LWC1996

Learned
Or it could lead to "We can't be caught because of stupid sexy stealth, let's go all in!", increasing YOLO behaviour. :lol:

Based on the pattern observed on this thread, the above statement hits too close to home. YOLOTIGER seems to be the default setting for Jing for a lot of ppl.

Well, if there is a reasonable chance of pulling this off with then C does sound like a very interesting option. But if we are going for this than we have to be the best when it comes to sneaking. Animals, spider silk, slight perception upgrade - I don't see any of these as useful as agility 10 and sneaking 8. We can't leave bodies behind us on this one.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Based on the pattern observed on this thread, the above statement hits too close to home. YOLOTIGER seems to be the default setting for Jing for a lot of ppl.
You can be as stealthy as you like, but with 4 perception, you could miss a hidden guard or an alarm tripwire or a trap. Once that happens, merely moving quietly won't save you. Cao'er showed us up when finding the Wudu due to her higher perception which allowed her to take the faster/better path. CCB 10 agility, anyone? edit: nevill convinced me that a 1 point per boost wouldn't be as advantageous as a 2 point stealth boost.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nevill

Arcane
You can be as stealthy as you like, but with 4 perception, you could miss a hidden guard or an alarm tripwire or a trap. Once that happens, merely moving quietly won't save you. Cao'er showed us up when finding the Wudu due to her higher perception which allowed her to take the faster/better path. CCA
We have effectively 6 PER. I don't think 7 would make a difference. And if we can't use Reikan for some reason, then it will be 4 either way.

2 points in Stealth, on the other hand, are the difference between just a skilled adept and a master.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
As for diversifying our skillset, while I want to, I think it's far more important that we work to master the skills we already possess. They're fairly low, relative to our competition.

You can't master everything, though, and especially not with the limited time you have for Zhang's challenge. You'll need to have a clear idea of the type of character you want to build. Focusing on stealth to the detriment of everything else could mean that you end up like Yoriwaka - extremely specialized and godly at covert operations but unable to stand up to a master in a fair fight.

Stealth isn't going to help you in a duel during the Fire Cult's challenge, for example, unless you plan to subscribe to the 'hide and backstab for critical damage' school of fighting. Not that it isn't an extremely useful skill, of course, but only if that is how you want to play it.

Again, as I said, there are no wrong choices here, but expect there to be different consequences for either focusing on each skill in turn as a build or attempting to gather techniques and skills equally, picking between versatility and specialization, because the world doesn't stay still for you to level up everything before you go to the final boss.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The extra agility and qingqong may also help in dodging any traps we set off.
Stealth isn't going to help you in a duel during the Fire Cult's challenge, for example, unless you plan to subscribe to the 'hide and backstab for critical damage' school of fighting. Not that it isn't an extremely useful skill, of course, but only if that is how you want to play it.
Hm, that may be enough for me to flop to 2B, 3A. Surely though the extra agility would be a great boon? Hum. I'll think more on it.

Also, I get the feeling that high levels of Ruanhong combined with a decent qingqong would let us pull off spiderman webslinging moves.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Hm, that may be enough for me to flop to 2B, 3A. Surely though the extra agility would be a great boon? Hum. I'll think more on it.

Not going to downplay the benefits, you would have 11 agility once your neigong is restored, which would pretty much put you on par with fighters on a master-level.

Nevill

Arcane
treave said:
Stealth isn't going to help you in a duel during the Fire Cult's challenge, for example, unless you plan to subscribe to the 'hide and backstab for critical damage' school of fighting.
:hmmm:
Is that option on the table?
treave said:
Not going to downplay the benefits, you would have 11 agility once your neigong is restored, which would pretty much put you on par with fighters on a master-level.
Is Yunzi at AGI 11 by our estimate (when under the effects of her special techniques), or did we never get to test it?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave said:
Stealth isn't going to help you in a duel during the Fire Cult's challenge, for example, unless you plan to subscribe to the 'hide and backstab for critical damage' school of fighting.
:hmmm:
Is that option on the table?

Yes, though it's a bit harder to gain respect from the orthodox sects this way. It's a perfectly viable unorthodox way of settling deathmatches, and you aren't bound by any code of honour not to use such a tactic.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
11 agility sounds alluring. Though the surprise of hiding poisonous animals in the eyesocket is also greatly alluring. So far sticking with my votes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom