Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Saying we're someone we clearly aren't doesn't make sense. Winning will do the job to let us call them out or it wont. I doubt the name matters that much for the challenge. It matters for the reaction during the competition. Taking the Zhang Jue name will lead to a bad reaction during the competition.

Why not go as Dead Rong Jr. the zombie pig. That would troll the whole orthodox world.

Baltika9

Arcane
Now you're just fucking with me, Nevill. The point is, going in as Zhang will make our victory an insult to them.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Kipeci said:
I'm also wondering why you want to call them out after we'd have already beaten their students in your scenario; if we'd already beaten their best students, why bother wasting time on them instead of examining Yuhua Hall or something?
We can't defeat all of them in the tournament. We'll get to fight maybe 5 or 6 of them. The rest will be matched up against other opponents.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Now you're just fucking with me, Nevill. The point is, going in as Zhang will make our victory an insult to them.

Going as Zhang could make our participation an insult. We should consider the possibility that we wont win the tournament. The Zhang name is only a detriment in that case.

Baltika9

Arcane
The challenges can't be won in the tournament, Zhang made it clear he wants more than that. He wants them utterly humiliated. Defeating them all at once will do the trick, with a huge bonus for style and experience for the challenge.
Saying we're someone we clearly aren't doesn't make sense. Winning will do the job to let us call them out or it wont. I doubt the name matters that much for the challenge. It matters for the reaction during the competition. Taking the Zhang Jue name will lead to a bad reaction during the competition.

Why not go as Dead Rong Jr. the zombie pig. That would troll the whole orthodox world.
That's the beauty of it, we still have our Merchant persona outside the tournament grounds, where we can play the affable fellow and get two views on our marks, how they act in public and how they act in private.
Also, tgese schools are huge on honor. Pulling a stunt like that will leave them in no position to refuse.

Baltika9

Arcane
Oh, we have all the contacts and resources to win, like Quiling's poisons and our alter-ego, we just need to put our minds to it. Besides the top students, most of the competitors are nowhere near our level.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Baltika9 said:
Zhang made it clear he wants more than that. He wants them utterly humiliated.
He wants them defeated by you, personally. With your real identity. That was his request, word to word.

The whole humiliation thing is the work of your imagination. He will be pleased amused if this turns to be the case, but he does not require this of you.

You want to do it with style - fine, whatever floats your boat. But Grimgravy is right on one thing - it isn't necessary, and it works to our detriment during the tournament.

Baltika9 said:
Oh, we have all the contacts and resources to win, like Quiling's poisons and our alter-ego, we just need to put our minds to it.
We do. But this matter is separate from Zhang Jue's name.

Tigranes

Arcane
Baltika9: Argues feverishly against the most comprehensive Zhang Jue plan, argues feverishly against another reasonable Zhang Jue plan, suddenly argues feverishly for the weakest Zhang Jue plan of all.

:hmmm:

Sorry, but no. I planned to stop whining about votes that didn't go my way (fair enough), but it's ridiculous to pass up two good chances to Zhang Jue it up and then suddenly volt face at the last minute. Having failed to leverage Zhang's reputation and rumours to our advaantage before the tournament or do so with the Farmer, it's not going to work out anywhere as well.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
We'll be registering under anything but Zhang Jue. Done.

Nice. I didn't notice one mention of what would happen in we lost our mask during competition. If that happens as Zhang Jue, we'd be screwed. As anyone else, it's not that big a deal.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Man Tiger Pig

The official in charge of the registration stares at you as you walk up to him. “Not another one…” he mutters under his breath. Despite his misgivings, the process goes off without a hitch. You put down your name as Man Tiger Pig, and hand over the crest to complete your registration. As you walk away from the table, the Shaolin monk Xuzhan spots you. He looks at you with a slightly curious expression and comes over.

“Sir, might you be-“

You nod quickly and gesture at him to follow you to a more secluded area. Once the two of you are there, he scratches his bald head.

“Might you be Young Master Guan?” he asks in a whisper. You see no need to keep up the pretense, and nod.

“My father let me come, but he doesn’t want me shaming the family name, you see. My merchant family isn't too fond of martial arts,” you explain quickly. “He would only let me participate on the condition that I appear masked. I’m sorry to ask this of you, sir monk, but could you help me keep this secret?”

“Sure,” he says without hesitation. “I mean, it’s the Young Tigers tournament! I wouldn’t want you to miss the chance to compete! Don’t worry, we’ll understand why you have the mask on, and we’ll make sure no one else knows it’s actually you underneath. For a minute there I thought talking to the boy who seems to be the Southern Maniac’s apprentice had scared you out of your wits!” You had expected a monk to be more conflicted about lying, but in this case it seems that Xuzhan is more excited about the tournament than about his vows. You thank him profusely. When you return to his group of friends, he gives them a quick, quiet summary of what has just happened, and they give you knowing nods and encouraging smiles. Now that all of you are registered, you begin discussing the tournament in further detail.

According to them, the Eight Sects’ favoured format is the team competition, where most of their disciples would be participating. Their teamwork and discipline gives them the advantage for that format, compared to impromptu teams cobbled together from lesser schools. It is also not uncommon for Eight Sects’ teams to consist of the better members from different sects as they attempt to get their superior disciples into the finals. The Eight Sects’ disciples usually work together to eliminate as many of the riff-raff as possible, whether in the team matches or in the battle royales. In the last three competitions, all of the thirty two participants in the finals were from the Eight Sects.

The preliminary matches would be conducted tomorrow. Participants who were interested in forming a team could do so today. Those who did not would automatically be enrolled into the battle royale. The young Shaolin monks and their friends had already come here with their teams assigned; you would not be able to join them even if you wanted to. If you wanted to make a team, you would have to search on your own. Bidding goodbye to them, you begin wandering about the great hall. The number of people seems to have lessened, as the participants begin leaving the place after completing their registration.

A plain girl steps in front of you, giving you a challenging look. You look back at her from behind the mask.

“Xu Jing,” she whispers softly enough that only you can hear. “That is a very stupid disguise. Who do you think you’re fooling?”

You fight back the sudden panic and stare at her face. It is very plain and average. Forgettable – no one you’ve seen before. You have not met this girl before, you’re sure. On the other hand, there is really only one person in this city who knows your true identity and would speak to you like that.

“Is this how you really look, Qilin? No wonder you only appear before me with your face made up,” you whisper back.

“Now, that’s rude! It’s an acupuncture technique, of course I don't look like this!” she hisses vainly. “Anyway, out here I’m called Xiaoxiang. Are you using Guan Shide, or…”

“Man Tiger Pig.”

She spends the next minute laughing, unable to form any coherent words.

“Oh, alright,” she says, after she recovers, “anyway, have you heard about the preliminary matches?”

You nod. “Battle royale or team, right? Which are you going for?”

“I had thought about going for the battle royale, but someone unexpected approached me to team up. Murong Yandi, the Sword Saint’s disciple.” Her eyes are gleaming with sly interest. “He’s looking for anyone he can get. Something about his master advising him to learn cooperation, I think. It works out for me if I can piggy-back on the stronger fighters of the competition, so I'm not complaining.”

“Shouldn’t he have no problem finding teammates? I don’t see why he’d pick a plain girl like you.”

“I may be plain but I have my charms,” she says, sticking her tongue out at you. “To be precise, when he approached me his words were, ‘Join my team and help me recruit two other people’. I get the feeling he might have been too lazy to look for teammates and decided to ask the first person he saw for help. Lucky me! So, what are you going for?”

“I haven’t made a decision,” you admit.

“Why don’t you join my team? Then I can have you do all the work.”

“You really are shameless, aren’t you?”

“An adult knows no shame.”

“I’m not sure that’s an actual saying.”

“Who cares? I won't be lectured by some boy in a pig's mask. I still need to find one more person if you join, anyway, so decide quickly.”

You consider her offer. If you join the team matches, you would be facing the better orthodox students, and would likely face at least one of the Eight Sects’ elites before even meeting in the finals. The battle royale would offer you better odds of sneaking through without too much of a fight. You would be able to keep your prowess relatively concealed in the melee. On the other hand, it may be a good opportunity for you to get to know the Sword Saint’s disciple. His master is one of the wielders of the Ten Great Swords – this may prove to be a useful contact in the future. Besides that, you are certain that the farmer boy would not be fighting in a team. You could do him a favour by putting him in the team, helping him advance as far as possible.

A. You join Qilin’s team and leave it up to her to recruit the last member.

B. You join Qilin’s team and recruit Guo Fu as the last member of your team.

C. You do not join the team, and attempt to form your own team instead, seeking out whoever you can get.

D. You do not join the team, preferring to participate in the battle royale and win qualification that way.

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
B. I want to defeat as many of the decent students as is possible for Jing so that we won't need to traipse halfway across China for the same chance later.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
B

Sounds fun.

I guess the Zhang Jue plan wouldn't have worked because we're too recognisable even with a mask. Or maybe it would have worked if we had decided not to help the monks.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It'd have gone the way of "Oh I didn't know he was that feared," playing off your naivety as a newbie to the pugilistic world, and having people think you're a cocky idiot. A cocky idiot that most would stay away from as they fear incurring Zhang's wrath.

Not to mention having the man himself come (speak of Cao Cao and he shall appear), approve of your balls, and adds a condition that you are to wear that mask everywhere in public, especially if you are challenging the sects. A pig is good enough to match the likes of them, he says.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Doesn't B imply that it would draw extra attention to Guo Fu and us, by proxy? Seems like we're on the spotlight a little too much, with it.
treave what exactly did we tell the Shaolin students after meeting Guo Fu, if we mentioned it at all?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Since 2 won, you told the truth and said that he didn't seem to be a bad guy, though of course you didn't go out of your way to convince them that he isn't one. They weren't too sure what to make of this, but didn't press you further for details since they figure the less they know about Guo Fu, the safer they are. They'll continue to be wary of him, and chalk up your response to you being a naive noob. The rumours won't stop, but they won't get worse either since you didn't light the spark.

Regarding spotlight: it can be a good thing or a bad thing. If you want to avoid it as much as you can, enter the battle royale and pull your punches. Going up against the better disciples in the team matches and putting up a good show will definitely attract attention, regardless of who you're teamed with.

Baltika9

Arcane
Going for B. I think we're overthinking all of our plans with this to-the-last-detail planning. Shit just keeps happening and the more rigid our plans are, the less inclination we have to act on that. I suppose the best thing we can do is set a general goal here: win the tournament and then see what we can do then. I am still very much in favor of trying for the "reveal ourselves as the apprentice, challenge the marks for an all-on-one duel" idea. And B is good for that, we get to make our debut against the strongest fighters right off the bat with a band of non-sectarian bros and a sis. That will be a pretty nice toll to pull on those sectarian teams, smashing their formations with such a ragtag bunch. The only thing that really concerns me is that this student may recognize our Yuchang sword.

Honestly, he sounds like a lazy/bullying douche, most likely arrogant too.
Baltika9: Argues feverishly against the most comprehensive Zhang Jue plan, argues feverishly against another reasonable Zhang Jue plan, suddenly argues feverishly for the weakest Zhang Jue plan of all.

:hmmm:

Sorry, but no. I planned to stop whining about votes that didn't go my way (fair enough), but it's ridiculous to pass up two good chances to Zhang Jue it up and then suddenly volt face at the last minute. Having failed to leverage Zhang's reputation and rumours to our advaantage before the tournament or do so with the Farmer, it's not going to work out anywhere as well.
I understand your confusion, but that C2 plan didn't occur to me till the last moment when I flopped and the simple thing about it would have been that we wouldn't care about keeping a low profile and having all eyes on us. It would be to our advantage, sine we would want people to keep thinking we're Zhang's apprentice, make the eventual dramatic reveal all that more convincing. On that note:
It'd have gone the way of "Oh I didn't know he was that feared," playing off your naivety as a newbie to the pugilistic world, and having people think you're a cocky idiot. A cocky idiot that most would stay away from as they fear incurring Zhang's wrath.

Not to mention having the man himself come (speak of Cao Cao and he shall appear), approve of your balls, and adds a condition that you are to wear that mask everywhere in public, especially if you are challenging the sects. A pig is good enough to match the likes of them, he says.
m0izu.jpg

Kipeci

Arcane
We... augh, I'm still butthurt that we didn't all vote for Dog Doctor at the start of the LP, no matter how much I try to move past it. Would we have also been Cao'er or a variation on essentially the same character depending on choices?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You would have been Yao's (secret) grandson, because I suck at writing female POV. You'd still be dragged into that mess with Qingcheng. Personality could be different from Cao'er, but there'll be an inner pervert creep nevertheless.

Ditto with the farmer, you would have had a dear little wife-to-be from the start, which is actually part of the catalyst for you setting off on your adventure besides losing your land.

Kipeci

Arcane
Well, I guess I feel a bit more accepting of the butthurt, then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom