Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Whoa, too much blunt force for me. I'm definitely for avoiding D if this is the case. I though this implied a pickpocketing at most, not outright mugging her.

Well, if she catches you its obviously going to turn into a fight. And I don't see how she won't, since you have no idea where the invite is located on her person. You're not an expert pickpocket yet, you're still a fighter with a side of rogue.

Edit: And Jing is pretty pissed at her so gentle persuasion is a bit far from his thoughts at the moment.

So, D is guaranteed to end up with a fight with her? To hell with it then, if we can't get it from words or sneaking then outright beating her up is definitely a bad idea. I thought our character had a little more subtlety than that.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
But the invitation is not personal, or is it? What is stopping us borrowing it from her and then returning it back? I'm sure Jing could come up with a few persuading arguments for temporary loan.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
So, D is guaranteed to end up with a fight with her? To hell with it then, if we can't get it from words or sneaking then outright beating her up is definitely a bad idea. I thought our character had a little more subtlety than that.

Not really, when you're caught you have the option to talk your way out of it and break off combat, and go off without your objective. Or proceed to attempt to obtain it by force.

Because she isn't letting go of that invite for the honeyed words of some boy she just met. I mean... no one was expecting that, right?

But the invitation is not personal, or is it? What is stopping us borrowing it from her and then returning it back? I'm sure Jing could come up with a few persuading arguments for temporary loan.

Right. Let's say you're Jing. And you have an invite. And this girl you just met asks to take a look at it. What do you do?

Baltika9

Arcane
Of course not, the honeyed words are a distraction. We could lightly poison ourselves and "conveniently" be at her doorstep; "oh Madam, I feel terribly ill, could I please partake of your hospitality," or something like that. Our CHA and speech should get us in, then we can assess from there. Jing is a smart guy, I'm sure he'll give us options.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
And she'd care... why? Also banking on her not being able to tell the symptoms of the poison. And on her not poisoning you even further for fun.

It'd work with the scholar's wife though.

Baltika9

Arcane
That's who I was talking about, bro. Trick the poison master with poison, for real?

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Right. Let's say you're Jing. And you have an invite. And this girl you just met asks to take a look at it. What do you do?

Stab her with a poison needle of course. But she knows Yao and Cao'er and for some reason needs them. Just persuade master Yao and Cao'er to not work with her unless she gives her invitation for loan.

I don't see why you guys are assuming that just because we have started being unorthodox that we must keep down the path. Some of us never asked for this anyway.

Some of us never asked for a tiger or for a adjutand or going to Songfeng. Doesn't mean we can't enjoy the road taken though.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Stab her with a poison needle of course. But she knows Yao and Cao'er and for some reason needs them. Just persuade master Yao and Cao'er to not work with her unless she gives her invitation for loan.

You can't loan it since you'll have to pass the invite to the guard to get in. One per person. You're basically asking her to give up attending this conference. I wouldn't be too confident about blackmailing a person you've known for all of an hour either. You don't know what makes her tick yet.

The character's reckless confidence is a good fit to that of the voters. :lol:

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Nevertheless, I believe that our excursion in Songfeng was overall a great success: we offed a potential rival, gained prestige and forged the beginnings of the sword technique that will likely be our signature style (something, I should mention, that might not have been possible had we gone orthodox). And we got a little bonus from the Beggars too, so we did good there.

Great success? What? In my opinion that trip was a complete disaster. We got that rival by going there in the first place. We gained fame (or infamy, depends on who you believe) sure, but we also burned all bridges to Songfeng and by extension to Huashan. We did get the sword but I don't see any good coming out of if we can't return it before it is discovered. And that bonus from the Beggars was just because there was a miscalculation in votes.

You can't loan it since you'll have to pass the invite to the guard to get in. One per person. You're basically asking her to give up attending this conference.

So scholar's wife it is.

Because she isn't letting go of that invite for the honeyed words of some boy she just met. I mean... no one was expecting that, right?
Well I wasn't expecting beating her up to be honest. I thought if trickery wasn't working, then maybe we could try to work out some kind of a deal with her to borrow her pass - it's not as if we are a complete unknown to her - she knows we are Yao's apprentice. I see that is not an option though.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well I wasn't expecting beating her up to be honest. I thought if trickery wasn't working, then maybe we could try to work out some kind of a deal with her to borrow her pass - it's not as if we are a complete unknown to her - she knows we are Yao's apprentice. I see that is not an option though.

Not through any fault or weakness of our character's, but there are circumstances that prevent her from lending it to him, even if she wanted to. At least, that's what she'll claim. And it'll be up to you whether you press the issue by force if necessary, or drop it.

Edit: there seems to be some misconception that D would have you beat her up brutally though. You'd just be trying to make her yield in a fight, pugilist to pugilist. Everyone's going to get bruised or poisoned or roughed up, both you and her.

We're not that type of DV guy. :rpgcodex:

Last edited:
Nah, she won't. Instead her husband will return at the worst possible moment.

Seriously though, maybe we could just try buying it from her if we have some private funds stashed away. After all, it's not like her husband is going to need it so why should it go to waste?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Visiting Madam Jiang

Jiang Du’s house is in the eastern part of Xuzhou. Pretending to be stopping by for a house call, you ask for directions from the innkeeper and set off. The sun is beginning to set, but the streets are still packed. Xuzhou is home to a thriving night market, one of the largest in the region. The predecessor of the current Emperor had abolished the strict rules governing the opening hours of markets, leading to a boom in markets that operated at night, or in the cases of large cities such as Chang’an and Yangzhou, around the clock. These markets dealt mainly in foods, clothing and accessories, and it was not uncommon for certain markets to attract a greater crowd at night than they would during the day.

Out of the corner of your eye, in the bustle of the crowd, you catch a flash of familiar red. You still your footsteps, slow down your pace, and begin winding through the throng cautiously. You are sure that the girl is following you.

“Hey, watch where you’re going, kid!”

You bump into a vendor hauling a large sack of candied fruits on his back. Apologizing, you help him pick up the scattered fruits. The vendor begins haranguing you for payment but you quickly run forward, disappearing into the crowd. There seems to be no sign of the girl behind you. Was it just your imagination after all? Cursing yourself for letting her get on your nerves and turn you paranoid, you make your way quickly to Jiang Du’s house before the sun fully sets.

You are greated by a cute, round-faced maidservant at the gates to his compound. Putting all thoughts of the aggravating Chi Qilin out of your mind, you put on your best palace smile.

“Greetings,” you bow low. “I apologize for appearing at such a late hour, but my master bid me send urgent word to Master Jiang Du.”

“I’m sorry, but the master is out at the moment. He will not be back for a week, I expect.”

You feign disappointment at her words. “Is that so? That is terrible! My master, Physician Yao Shunshi, had an important message for him. I cannot return before it is heard.” It is a typical method that you’ve used to gain access to merchants’ houses before, knowing that they are not around to prevent the money that they owe you for treatment from being subtly paid up on their behalf.

The maidservant seems at a loss, her long locks tumbling as she looks around her nervously. As a servant it would be too forward of her if she offered to convey the message to her master. She doesn’t seem experienced in the serving profession. “If I might ask,” you say, “How long have you been working here, miss?”

“Oh, I-I think,” she stutters, “perhaps about two months?”

“That explains why you look so fresh and vivacious,” you say. “Whenever my master sends me out on errands I always meet tired, old maids, so it’s a pleasant surprise to see a girl like you greeting me at the doorstep.” One thing you’ve learned from the chambermaids – youth gives you the license to be be blatant with flattery. They told you that an older man may be expected to lie to gain their favour, but a child’s mouth is honest. You’re not quite sure that’s true in any way, but it’s worked for you so far. “You must be the prettiest and youngest servant in the household,” you say.

“Oh, of course not. That’s not true at all,” she blushes. “All of the maidservants here are newly hired. I’ve heard that the master likes to take on young servants because…” She falters, but you do not need her to finish her words to get the idea. She continues, “That is why I cannot take your message. I am sorry. We are all new here.”

You smile at her comfortingly, offering her a way out. “Perhaps the mistress of the house could take the message instead?”

“Of course! You’re right!” she smiles. She runs off into the house to get Madam Jiang. You heave a sigh of relief. You would much rather deal with these nice, kind girls than the pushy ones like Yunzi and Qilin. It does not take the maidservant long before she returns with Jiang Du’s wife. She is tall and thin in both stature and face. Her expression is that of a frown as she scrutinizes you.

“What message is it, boy?” she asks in a snappy manner.

“Ah, something from my master, Physician Yao Shunshi. It… I can’t tell it here, Madam Jiang. We need some privacy.”

Madam Jiang sighs. “Are you sure it is important?”

“Very important, madam,” you say solemnly.

“Fine,” she sniffs, as she turns about and beckons at you to follow her. With a tip of the head to the maidservant, you follow Madam Jiang into the house.

Walking through the hallways, you see that the maidservant at the gate was telling the truth – most of the maids you see inside the house are relatively young. This is another thing you learnt about getting in and out of compounds; the inhabitants are just as important as planning escape routes and identifying the location of the money box. In this case, it seems like it’ll pay off in another way. You are no expert yet, but experience has been a valuable teacher. Nothing instills the memory of a lesson well-learned like messing up and trying to escape a dozen angry cleaver-waving men.

Madam Jiang leads you into a small study and closes the door. Turning to you, she folds her arms under her chest. “Please be quick about it, boy.”

“There actually two things, Madam Jiang.” You see her frown in disapproval and quickly continue speaking. “The first matter involves this year’s invitation to Luoying Manor. My master told me that your husband was looking for someone to give it away to. He would be interested in obtaining it in return for a favour.”

“Give it away? I have not heard my husband speak of it. He was still planning to go when he ended up being called away to the capital.”

“I am also authorized to offer taels in return for the invite,” you say.

“Is that so?” says Madam Jiang. “We do not lack for money, but what are you offering? He will not be using the invite anyway.”

You open your pouch, showing all that you have. It is rather meagre, by Jiang family standards.

“Is that all?” sniffs Madam Jiang. “It would be hard to explain it to my husband if I let his invite go for so little. It would demean the invitation's value, even if it will be unused. I will have to think about it. Still, I have not heard of him wanting to give it away.”

“Well, that is strange. Perhaps my master heard wrongly, then.” You fall back on your second plan. “You must forgive my old master for believing such stories. Invitations are so hard to get, especially during a year in which fellows are selected. Everyone wants one. I believe your husband is one, madam?”

“Yes, yes,” she says bitterly. “Not like it does his ego any good.”

“I do not wish to cast aspersions on a gentleman’s character, but staying in the middle of winter with a group of eccentrics in a manor run by a reclusive beauty must worry you so, Madam Jiang.”

She laughs for the first time. “You have a way with words for one so young. Perhaps you aspire to grow up to be a no-good scholar like my husband? He’s also good with words.”

“Of course not, I am just a humble physician’s apprentice.”

“Yes, of course you are,” she says drily.

“If I may ask, though, I am personally interested in the invite. I’ve heard that the design changes every year, and that it cannot be forged by mortal hands. I wonder if it wouldn’t be-“

“It would be too much trouble, boy.” Madam Jiang cuts you off quickly. “I’m not going over to the second floor study to fetch it for you. Now, what is the second matter?”

“Ah, that is a rather sensitive issue. You see, my master has also heard rumours of… well, the maidservants in this house.”

At that, Madam Jiang’s face grows dark. “What do you mean?”

“Do not be angry, madam. My master wishes only to help. He understands that issues between men and women can be rather delicate, and that is why he sent me. He has heard of Madam Jiang, the dutiful wife who lifts the famed scholar Jiang Du to greater heights, and expresses his utmost respect. In return for a kind word in Master Jiang’s ear, he would be willing to perform a simple favour.”

“A favour?” Madam Jiang laughs again, her demeanour suddenly relaxing. “Hm, you certainly are tactful about it. Are you going to poison all the harlots he’s brought into the house? He never follows my advice on that part. I suppose rumours have spread so far that even the mountain-dwelling hermit physicians have heard of it. What a disgrace!”

You pause momentarily. Her candour is unexpected; you had only been fishing in the dark from what little you could observe. It appears that she has much resentment against her husband. You might have stumbled across something that could be risky. “Well, I… no, that would go against my code, madam. All I was expected to do was to offer you a cleansing medicine that would purge your body of ill humours and increase your considerable beauty, or some private physician’s lessons on the nature of the human body.”

There is a sudden predatory gleam in Madam Jiang’s eyes. A faint blush colours her cheeks. You don't like the way she's suddenly looking at you from head to toe. “Private lessons, you say? It's funny you should say that. I have not had any lessons in a while. My useless husband certainly doesn't teach me what he knows. What manner of lessons are we discussing here?”

“W-well,” you mumble, backing away slightly. Perhaps this was a mistake…

A. You give her the medicine. Of course, it is an actual cleansing medicine. The laxative you got from Cao’er this morning, in fact. You have heard of the placebo effect from Master Yao. You'll inform her of the side-effects beforehand. As long as she believes it works…

B. You give her ‘private lessons’.

C. You don’t offer any of the favours right now, telling her that you are only conveying the offer today and not the favours themselves.

1. You attempt to obtain the invite by sneaking into the second floor study.

2. You attempt to convince Madam Jiang to allow you to purchase the invite outright.

A1 or B1 would mean you take the invite quietly, while she is otherwise distracted or... uh... exhausted from learning.

A2 or B2 means you can bargain down the price or perhaps even get the invite by trading a favour.

C1 means you do some sneaking after pretending to leave.

C2 will be just as it says.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom