Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Whole update was full of hints to vote A. And the previous update also. But I'm still going to vote B because if we vote A, we lose the respect of Thania and Runikylos, and the emperor won't give a shit to us anyway. He is the Emperor after all and receives consorts from everyone. Letting him have Thania will put us on... Exactly where? On par with every other noble who has tried this scheme?

Esquilax

Arcane
Whole update was full of hints to vote A. And the previous update also. But I'm still going to vote B because if we vote A, we lose the respect of Thania and Runikylos, and the emperor won't give a shit to us anyway. He is the Emperor after all and receives consorts from everyone. Letting him have Thania will put us on... Exactly where? On par with every other noble who has tried this scheme?

Everything indicates that we should vote A, but I'm voting B instead!

Who cares about Thania and Runikylos? Thania is an expendable asset to be discarded, Runikylos won't be Emperor for a long time. The current Emperor is only 40 years old, and the odds of shortening his lifespan by assassinating him are practically 0.

As treave said, there is more to it than throwing the Emperor a piece of pussy, so this part is untrue. The Emperor has all the right ingredients to become a useful puppet to a skilled politican like Dio, so why oppose him? Runikylos is far more politically adept and willing to take an active role in politics, so why not side with the guy who is better for our interests?

You're basically worried about losing respect from people that don't really matter.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Heir to the throne matters a lot. Basically we are putting our eggs on one basket and hoping the Emperor doesn't die. He is already 40 years old and might kick the bucket anyday now. And where do you get the odds for assasinations? Runikylos is politically adept and might want to hasten his rise to the power. Or someone close to him might do it to gain favor.

And Thania. She isn't from a good house but she is smart and loyal. We aren't going to succeed alone, we need allys and we are about to throw away the only one we got.

And I'm worried about losing respect from the only one that matters. Him being the very first Emperor.

Esquilax

Arcane
Heir to the throne matters a lot. Basically we are putting our eggs on one basket and hoping the Emperor doesn't die. He is already 40 years old and might kick the bucket anyday now. And where do you get the odds for assasinations? Runikylos is politically adept and might want to hasten his rise to the power. Or someone close to him might do it to gain favor.

And Thania. She isn't from a good house but she is smart and loyal. We aren't going to succeed alone, we need allys and we are about to throw away the only one we got.

By "any day now", you must have meant "in the next twenty years". The man is only 40. Emperors aren't exactly easy to assassinate, and we currently don't have the means to take this guy out, which is why I said "practically 0". Therefore, we should use his station to facilitate our own rise to power. Why are you guys so dead-set on opposing the Emperor's moves? We already have a plan in place, yet you guys want to shit all over it on a whim to appease an heir that is difficult to manipulate and a wife-to-be that won't give us the power and status we so desperately need to make a mark in the world.

The situation so far indicates that Runikylos is not ruthless and won't hasten his rise to power through assassination. Actually, quite the opposite. While he's politically adept and doesn't appreciate his father's indiscretions, our first meeting with him demonstrates that he has some integrity and compassion. He also seems like he would be far more involved in actually governing the country than the current Emperor, which is also not a good deal for us.

I was not advocating putting all our eggs into one basket (i.e. The Emperor). I was advocating getting into his good graces, then once we have our foot in the door, using our relationship to establish alliances with other powerful people so that we have an actual power base.

It's been made very clear that we are a ruthless power-player, so flip-flopping at this point is incredibly ill-advised.

And I'm worried about losing respect from the only one that matters. Him being the very first Emperor.

:hmmm:

Ean hasn't even appeared yet, nor do we know in what capacity he will appear. Our character isn't even aware of Ean beyond being the focus of religious worship. Ean is completely irrelevant to the character that we are playing as. Where do you guys get this stuff?

Baltika9

Arcane
Esquilax: didn't vote yet. It's also that a clearly superior choice, isn't. In addition to everything else said. And I'm sure having your fiance banged in front of you does wonedrs for rumors and reputation.
Then again, Lil 'E might not want competition.

Esquilax

Arcane
Esquilax: didn't vote yet. It's also that a clearly superior choice, isn't. In addition to everything else said. And I'm sure having your fiance banged in front of you does wonedrs for rumors and reputation.
Then again, Lil 'E might not want competition.

Yeah, except Dio planned and manipulated the situation to be so that the Emperor would end up raping Thania. Every action that Dio has undertaken during this party so far has been calculated and premeditated. So coming in with a bunch of irrelevant arguments like "What will Thania think? What will Runikylos think? Holy shit, what will Ean think?!" and baseless speculation like our reputation being ruined (Dio obviously planned for all of this to happen, so he is aware of what's going on) is only going to fuck up our position.

B voters are overcomplicating things and not analyzing the right details. Dio's goal here is to take steps to increase his own power base - that's the important part. Thania is skilled, but she lacks status, so as we move up in the world, she'll begin to hold us back. Runikylos is a politically adept heir apparent, but he is years away from taking power. The current Emperor however, is a great bet for us. This pretty much tells us everything:

Rennephilio was a good Emperor for you; that was your conclusion. He cared not for intrigue, but more for the pleasure of his rank, exercising a libido that was said to be legendary. In his youth he had been a good warrior, but that had not translated to steel in the battlefield of politics. This effectively meant that actual governance was left to the Council of Kings, though it also meant that when Rennephilio insisted on something, the Council were more inclined to give it to him without any debates as he rarely demanded anything of them. His lack of interest in politics meant that the kings and nobles had more or less dismissed him – not to his face – during his time on the throne. You know better, of course; Rennephilio is still the Emperor of the Shinari, and he wielded great power if he should choose to use it.

You would just have to find a way to entice him to.

Sometimes the obviously superior option is better because it's, well, obviously superior. You can't think "shit, this is too good to be true!" every time an opportunity presents itself. You can only read the updates, infer things, then try to plan things in accordance with your goals. And right now, A is the option to pick that fits along with our goals.

newcomer

Learned
Fact 1: I ONLY love tentacles
Fact 2: Thania has no tentacles

Conclusion: I have no love for Thania!

A

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Where do you guys get this stuff?

And yes, all roads lead, eventually, to Ean (note: title of this chapter).

By "any day now", you must have meant "in the next twenty years". The man is only 40.

I don't know if I have missed something but the man is 40 and our tech is equivalent to 16th century of our history. Couple first google links show that the life expectancy back then was 35 years. By "any day now", I meant any day now, not in the next 20 years, but in the next 2 years.

A might be the superior choice here, but I still think Ean-like, and that's how I'm going to vote.

Edit: Life expectancy at birth was 35 years. It's was higher once past childhood.

Baltika9

Arcane
Because it makes sense to play Loki as Thor.
And I doubt Lil 'E is Ean. Too obvious. Besides, his return should be awe sum .ScubaV, you know what to do.

Kipeci

Arcane
Diogenes is such a scumbag.
A., though my Crusader King-ing self winces at turning away a wife with the genius and attractive traits.

Tigranes

Arcane
Oh, man.

Cue her rape and later reappearance as an avatar of vengeance to screw us over when we are on the cusp of Empire.

ScubaV

Prophet
As much as I love this new character, I really hope he isn't Ean reborn or a manifestation of part of his personality or something. I'd hate to see Ean become this ruthless. That said, a man like him could be quite useful for however long he lives.

Edmund Duke: Whoa! You're the last folks I expected to show up! What's your angle here, Mengsk?
Jim Raynor: (to Edmund Duke) Angle? I'll give you an angle, you slimy Confederate piece of shi- *cut off*
Arcturus Mengsk: Jim, enough! I'll handle this. The Confederacy is falling apart, Duke. Its colonies are in open revolt. The Zerg are rampaging unchecked. What would have happened here today if we hadn't shown up?
Edmund Duke: Your point?
Arcturus Mengsk: I'm giving you a choice. You can return to the Confederacy and lose, or you can join us and help save our entire race from being overrun by the Zerg. I don't think it's a difficult decision.
Edmund Duke: Join forces? With you? I'm a general, for God's sake!
Arcturus Mengsk: A general without an army. I'm offering you a position in my cabinet, not just some backwater post. Don't test my patience, Edmund.
Edmund Duke: All right, Mengsk. You've got a deal.
Arcturus Mengsk: You've made the right choice, General Duke.
Jim Raynor: (about Gen. Edmund Duke) I can't believe we really are about to trust this snake.
Arcturus Mengsk: Don't worry, Jim. He's our snake now.

Tigranes

Arcane
At least you temporarily banished all existing NPCs and plot lines, so you don't have to tie crap into Sekhenun or China for a while.

treave was there an outcome in the prev. chapter that would have involved Ean sticking around to Empire build, and would we have gotten to participate in the conquests of Europe? Or were we always going to end up timeskipping around the time we did?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Chapter 7.4: Surfacing Memories

You took a careful, measured look at the Emperor and Thania, keeping your face impassive, and stepped backwards, closing the door behind you. Then, you waited. When the satisfied Emperor came out and clapped you on the back, you did not smile, but merely bowed your head. It was important that he remembered your conduct. You stepped into your chambers after the Emperor had strolled off.

Thania was huddled on your bed, tears sliding down her face. You silently grabbed a towel and walked over to her. As you hand it to her, she grabs your hand, and starts apologizing. She should’ve run. She should’ve fought harder. She was sorry. She was so scared. Stay with her. You look down where her fingers met yours, and an uncharacteristic twinge arises in your chest. Did you need to go this far? Do you need to go further?

But you were already committed to the plan. Now there was nothing to it, but to see it through to the end, and maximize your opportunity. She was a valuable piece, but she had to be sacrificed for your eventual victory. With just the right balance of pity and disgust, you shake your hand free of her grip, and leave wordlessly, not sparing her a second glance.

She hangs herself a week later, leaving behind a note full of self-recrimination.

After you confirmed that the Emperor knew about it, you burn the note.

The Emperor may be licentious, but he was not without a shred of humanity. To have your father, and then your betrothed, kill themselves one after the other was surely more than any man could handle. Though the remorseful monarch could not apologize to you directly, he sent Prince Runikylos to the funeral in his stead. The service itself had been messy – House Unata was convinced that you caused her death. Thankfully, no one believed them. Why would they? You were the head of Camna, the House that hosted the Emperor himself, and they were just a little family living off your good graces. You brushed aside their wild allegations, and told them, slightly tearfully, that they would not want for anything as long as they lived, for they were the parents of your most beloved Thania. In the end, though, the guards still had to drag the upset parents from the temple.

“I… I don’t know what to say, Sir Camna.” The prince was in your study, after the funeral service had ended. “All of this… I could’ve stopped all of this. I am so sorry.”
“Don’t blame yourself, Your Highness. I was the one who insisted that you stay and enjoy the feast. I thought I could’ve… I… I couldn’t. I couldn’t.” you whisper, adding a bit of acidity and self-reproach into your tone. The prince shook his head sadly.

“Don’t stand on ceremony, Sir Camna. I’ll have none of this ‘Your Highness’ or ‘my Prince’ business. Call me just by my name, Runikylos. You are after all part of the family, and you will be closer from now on.”

Ah, could it be? Did your plot pay off? He turned to look at you directly. “My father… He really is remorseful about this whole thing – he claims it’s the alcohol. I never heard of him forcing his attentions, but I suppose he’s gotten too carried away with no one every turning him down.” Runikylos sighs, and then continues. “He’s offered you my sister, Princess Kyriesca’s hand in marriage.”

You resist the urge to let out a whistle – this was far more than you expected.

“Sir Camna, this must feel like an insult to your feelings for Lady Thania, but I assure you it isn’t meant to be. Father is just trying to make amends, however poorly thought out his actions are. I know this is too soon.”

It was too soon. Immediately marrying a princess when your fiancée’s body had not yet cooled would invite even more rumours. Some people might even start giving legitimacy to House Unata’s claims. You weren’t about to paint a target on your back.

“Sir Camna?”

“My close friends and family call me Dio. Please, I ask of you to do the same. I was just overwhelmed at the Emperor’s magnanimity, and struck senseless for a while.”

“I understand if you want to call off the engagement, Dio. Father will too – if he doesn’t, I will make him understand. We can find some other way to amend. This isn’t how the Imperial family should be.”

“No… I do accept the offer, Runikylos. After all, what other woman would want me?” You grin painfully. “It’s just that I can’t go through with it, just after…”

“I understand. I’ll inform father about this, and we will keep the betrothal in secret and on hold until you are ready, Dio. In fact, that might be better – given the proclivities of nobles in our empire, making it public so soon would only attract unwanted attention. It’s a disgusting state of affairs, but nonetheless, we must be prudent.”

“The empire is full of backstabbing politicians,” you agree. “I do find it hard to stomach.”

“You see it too!” exclaimed the prince. “The Shinar Empire is rotten. The thirst for power has consumed most of the people that should be governing instead of trying to one up one another in petty schemes and tricks. There are so many problems to deal with nowadays – the Ean cults, the worsening weather, and the ever-present issues with the Concordiat and the Indus Empire, but they don’t see it – or worse, they see it as tools to advance their own standing.”

“Rotten,” you echo. “I never had much taste for it. That’s why I didn’t take up a position in Ankida back when I graduated. It makes me ill – as nobles we have an obligation to the empire, not to ourselves. That obligation encompasses everything that makes the empire strong, and what makes an empire strong is its people. Letting this rot grow so far will only invite disaster. Now we might still seem fine, but rot works from within. When the nobles begin to care so much more for themselves rather than this empire, it will fall apart.”

You did not care for a word of what you just said, but you could see that the prince did, apparently pleased at having found a noble that understood his point of view. It looks like he had designs on being a political reformer. From what you know of his intellect and popularity, he could probably pull it off.

Prince Runikylos – he would be an obstacle.

That night, the masked man visits you again, a sickly sweet scent about him.

“Bravo. You are a masterful piece of work, Diogenes Camna.”

“What do you want? I am tired.” This was the truth, for once. It had been a long day.

“I thought you would be more grateful.”

“I am, but this is not the best time to talk.”

“Grieving over your fiancée?” The man laughs. “Ah, but it was a brilliant move. Not many nobles have women so devoted, and those that do tend to repay that devotion by… well… not making them a pawn in their games. Man is a sentimental creature.”

“I was perfectly placed to play this move, so I did. It would be a waste not to. Truth be told, I was inspired by the story you set up for my father’s death.”

“I’m glad I could be of service. Anyway, you have proved yourself worthy, Diogenes Camna. This is why we chose you.”

“Why did you choose me again?”

“It is a long story. Have you heard of the Emperor cults that are springing up all over the empire? Each of them is led by a person claiming to be the First Emperor, Ean.”

You have, but you did not see what that had anything to do with this.

“They are right, you know. The Emperor will return, and soon. But they are all led by falsehood. They are but pretenders to the Shinar Throne.”

“And?’ You were weary of this talk. These pretenders could be useful to you, but it was something you can plan for in the future, not tonight.

“You are the real thing,” said the masked man simply.

“Ha, you really are a good jokester, o masked man.”

“Do you remember your birth parents? Do you remember what happened before you were adopted?”

You didn’t, and you do not reply.

“You are the real Ean, and your actions have proven yourself to be smart and ruthless enough to retake your mantle. You are worthy of our aid.”

“I am not going to be sidetracked by stupid bedtime stories. I am willing to work with you as long as it benefits me, but we will only deal in concrete facts.”

The masked man appears to shrug. The sickly sweet smell got stronger as he did so, as it wafted its way into your nose.

“Look here.”

As you do so, a bright light flashes into your eyes, and you know no more.

In the weeks that passed, as you prepared for your move to Ankida, you began to get flashes of someone else’s memory. Pitched battles in the desert. Dark labyrinths. They were definitely not your memories, that much you knew. You had never been to the desert. In addition to the memories, there were other changes – you felt your body had become stronger, faster, and your senses became clearer and sharper.

You wonder if what the man said wasn’t true, after all, but you had more important things to take care of. As long as these memories don’t get in your way, you don’t really care. If you were the real Ean, it means you would become all-powerful. That was good. If you weren't, well, the tricks of a dead man can do you no harm. The masked man doesn’t return to meet you after that, but you knew that sooner or later you would see him again.

When you arrived in Ankida, there were two letters awaiting you. It seems that Prince Runikylos was impressed – and remorseful, perhaps – enough that he had decided to offer you a position in his staff. You hear that he has been gathering like-minded people in an effort to begin slowly changing the empire.

A. You take Runikylos’s offer of being his aide. Not only is it a marvelous opportunity for advancement, being in his confidence puts you in a good position to find ways to deal with the noble prince.

B. It was best not to stand out too much. You stick with your posting in the Office of Foreign Affairs, where you can quietly work your plots and schemes amongst the petty nobles.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave was there an outcome in the prev. chapter that would have involved Ean sticking around to Empire build, and would we have gotten to participate in the conquests of Europe? Or were we always going to end up timeskipping around the time we did?

Yeah, there was. Don't go into the rift. Or, if you go to China, don't fuck up too much.

There would've been smaller timeskips that might span a hundred years or so at one go, but nothing on this scale.

Baltika9

Arcane
In before the right moral decisions lead to the resurfacing of Ean's personality and powers.

The next update is titled Surfacing Memories, and fuck, these updates are getting longer and longer. :lol:
So then:
Diogenes looked at the Emperor's prone, convulsing form with no small amount of satisfaction. His plan worked perfectly: the pieces moved when they were meant to and where they were supposed to. So simple it was to kill this man, thought the greatest in this half of the world, that even he himself was surprised.
And the young Prince, oh what a fine pawn his guilt and naïveté made him, so eager he was to trust him, so desperate to find a kindred spirit in this world. Diogenes allowed himself a small smile, the preparations for the coronation should begin soon, before questions and rumors could begin.
'My, but I do love it when a plan succeeds. And the old ma-'
His musings were cut short, but not by the usual visions of a man so alien to him. No, this time he heard a Voice in his mind.

A strong, kind and masculine Voice. A Voice of infinite wisdom and knowledge. The Voice of a God.
"Excuse me for souring your victory, but what the fuck are you doing?"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom