Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

On moral C&C

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So there's this guy on YouTube called Kirithem. He basically explains different concepts in game design in a simple yet detailed manner, and highlights relevant examples. I like his videos a great deal - although he's fan of some games that make me raise my brow, I forgive him most of the time.

This time, however, he is talking about C&C, and... well, check it out yourselves.

...I guess it had to happen sometime.

Stoiv

Educated
chipmunks.jpg

CrimHead

Scholar
From the opening music to the faggoty voice to the obvious YAHTZEE INSPIRED HERP DERP design, this is a piece of shit video and I'm thoroughly convinced Grunker should be henceforth be banned from RPG Codex and/or forced to affect a custom avatar of that pissant faggot.

Good day, gentlemen. :obviously:

Multi-headed Cow

I also like how he has his name on the podium of his little character so you stare at it for most of the video.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
It's like witnessing a small spark in the mind of an average consoletard, the moment at which he becomes aware of something that transcends his little Nintendo/Next-Gen world, but then it becomes apparent how limited his understanding of the subject is (good/evil is lame herp derp) and how blind he is to the mediocrity of everything else in his gaming monkeysphere (Fallout 3 good writing?).

Now here's a dumb youtube comment:

youtube comment said:
I noticed pretty quickly that Bioware gave Dragon Age: Origins a "faction" like morality system, where your party members have their opinions of you. I didn't like it at first; I wanted a typical morality meter, a clear way of deciding whats good and whats not. But I got used to the new system, and, after watching this video, have now realized that it is might actually be a more engaging system, and more realistic when you're not always sure what the best choice is.

am I the only person who thinks "choices" get in the way of what makes the games interesting?

all I want is a single well-written story (if one at all), with interesting gameplay mechanics

if I'm asked to make a "choice" it irritates me, because I want to know that no matter what there is an objective state of perfection that I will always be able to achieve

I like games to be "games" with goals... thats how I work, I cant stand this "make a choice that doesnt effect the gameplay" stuff

CONTINUED: I dont know if anyone else thinks like this

dont get me wrong, I think you'r video gives a good message to those who enjoy these mechanics but I just dont

if a game tells me to "create a character" rather than giving me one, then to me that's just a waste of time and gets in the way of what I want. Objective goals with a clear state of perfection

this does not mean that I want games to be simple... I like it when games are complicated, strategy is what I enjoy,

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
youtube comment said:
I noticed pretty quickly that Bioware gave Dragon Age: Origins a "faction" like morality system, where your party members have their opinions of you. I didn't like it at first; I wanted a typical morality meter, a clear way of deciding whats good and whats not. But I got used to the new system, and, after watching this video, have now realized that it is might actually be a more engaging system, and more realistic when you're not always sure what the best choice is.

am I the only person who thinks "choices" get in the way of what makes the games interesting?

all I want is a single well-written story (if one at all), with interesting gameplay mechanics

if I'm asked to make a "choice" it irritates me, because I want to know that no matter what there is an objective state of perfection that I will always be able to achieve

I like games to be "games" with goals... thats how I work, I cant stand this "make a choice that doesnt effect the gameplay" stuff

CONTINUED: I dont know if anyone else thinks like this

dont get me wrong, I think you'r video gives a good message to those who enjoy these mechanics but I just dont

if a game tells me to "create a character" rather than giving me one, then to me that's just a waste of time and gets in the way of what I want. Objective goals with a clear state of perfection

this does not mean that I want games to be simple... I like it when games are complicated, strategy is what I enjoy,

What is this I don't even

MetalCraze

Arcane
What's wrong?
Sounds like more and more posts on the Codex these days.

Fuck stick-linear DA and Mass Defect are teh best gaems in fucking years in this place now - so what the fuck are you complaining about ITT faggots?

Phelot

Arcane
He uses FO3 as an example of good meaningful choices...

Blow up this city and get another city or don't blow it up and not get access to the other city?

Actually that's about the only choice I can really think of unless we consider the "choice" of not going into one of the dozens of filler, level-scaled-so-never-fear dungeons.

His idea that games should have "ambiguous" choices is part of the problem that is the whole "C&C" craze: Games try too hard to have tough choices that are still "do this or that" except that it's now "HAHA U DID EVAL EITHER WAAAY!" And then reward you either way with achievements and XP.

Other then that he's not saying anything new or he's suggesting things that have been done in older games such as NPC's or locations reacting to your choices. FO2 anyone?

All in all, this guy is just one in an army of faggot youtube "stars" that sucks the dicks of terrible games. I'm sure Gamespot will hire him soon.

EDIT_ HOLY SHIT I had a lot to drink

Phelot

Arcane
I mean come on this guy is talking about some of the worse diarrhea that has come out of the gaming industry as though its some sort of holy grail of game.

FO3? DA? ME?

Get the fuck out of here with that bullshit. These are games that are mediocre at best and at worse, alpha male simulators for faggot teens that got turned down by the ugliest girl in school. For fucks sake I don't want to customize my fucking hair, I don't want you to tell me when I've made an evil decision, I don't want you to tell me to fucking push shift to jump, I don't want you to make me play minigames to open a fucking safe, I don't need you to give me achievements for getting to the next level. AHHHHHHHHHH!

Multi-headed Cow

He also listed the FO3 DLC choice of kill babby for slaves or kill slave leader for babby. Which is a decent enough choice.

But since it's Fallout 3 he doesn't mention the fact that if you enter the DLC at level 20 (Max level at the time) and have blown up the Enclave and raped super mutant behemoths and are wearing power armor and have gatling lasers and nuke slingshots, some slavers hit you with batons and knock you out. The Enclave flashbanging and capturing you in the main quest is kinda silly but it at least makes more sense than that.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Reject_666_6 said:
It's like witnessing a small spark in the mind of an average consoletard, the moment at which he becomes aware of something that transcends his little Nintendo/Next-Gen world, but then it becomes apparent how limited his understanding of the subject is (good/evil is lame herp derp) and how blind he is to the mediocrity of everything else in his gaming monkeysphere (Fallout 3 good writing?).
No shit. The video fails because he mentioned valid complaints regarding C&C but then failed to talk about games that did it better. He even repeatedly called Fallout 3 "Fallout," as if the first two games didn't even exist! Clueless anyone?

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt, though, and assume that he really hasn't played any of the older, better games. He did make good points based on what I'm assuming is his limited experience with modern games, so I'm not going to assume that he is inherently retarded (which he would be if he had played the Fallouts, PST, Deus Ex, etc. and then made that video). Most likely he just doesn't know about the other games and is unaware of how high the bar has already been set and how much lower most modern games are in comparison.

Kinda makes you wonder how many Bio and Beth fans are really in the same boat and just don't know any better. If we ourselves weren't aware of the other games could we really blame ourselves if we believed the same way? I'm not sure. Still, though, the other games are all out there and anyone who is interested or curious enough will find them, so I guess the ignorance excuse can only go so far.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Awor Szurkrarz said:
The article itself was pretty good (except for the bad taste with games, of course).

It's like that in most of his videos. His video "Video games and choice" is better though, and without a similar quanitity of ridicoulous games as examples (although there are some).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom