Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by MMXI

1. MMXI

Fallout 3 vs Ultima 9

I thought you said you hadn't played a pre-Fallout RPG. Not that you're wrong or anything.
  2. MMXI

RPG Sub Forum Streamlining Bullshit

... :troll:? ???
  3. MMXI

World 1-1 - Oldschool CRPG Retrospectives by Reggie Carolipio

It's a really good series and very comfortable to play these days, in my opinion. Definitely one of the cRPG series that aged the most gracefully.
  4. MMXI

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

The problem with this is that it's annoying for those who want complexity straight away. Even dumb players who like a simple start may not appreciate it on replays. When you know the rules inside out you'll want to start tuning your characters as soon as possible and not 5 hours into the game...
  5. MMXI

Oh of course. That's definitely an option. In that case it's up to you whether you think you've "failed", and even then there's a challenge in having to adapt your play style.
  6. MMXI

Well, you're looking at it in a different way to me. I usually decide how I want each character to play before I create them. I then create them as best I can to suit how I intend to play them. In that sense, having to change my play style just because I've fucked up my statistics means I've...
  7. MMXI

I know this was posted ages ago, but I thought I'd respond in more detail. The issue with dump stats is that if only a handful of stats are meaningful for a given character then there is far less choice when character building than there could be. It's like in AD&D where pumping strength...
  8. MMXI

Ultima Ultima IV: what to keep in mind?

How dare you.
  9. MMXI

Ultima Ultima IV: what to keep in mind?

Break up town exploration with dungeons. There's nothing worse than exploring every single town and then realising you've got to slog through a bunch of dungeons all in one go in order to progress. As far as I remember it actually adds music, not just improves the quality. The DOS versions of...
  10. MMXI

GOG.com

Sorry about that. I've been away from this site for a few months now, busy with real life crap. I only check any alerts I receive. I'll make a proper return some day soon (hopefully). Regarding The Bard's Tale, I still think the best versions to play through (if you want to import through the...
  11. MMXI

Review GameBanshee Reviews Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

I didn't mean "the chosen one" quite literally. I meant that the plots were centred around you being a Bhaalspawn and all that entails. For the majority of the first game you could have been a nobody. In fact, it's only really when you go back to Candlekeep that the plot actually ties you into...
  12. MMXI

Review GameBanshee Reviews Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

It basically was. You can see a huge shift between Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II in terms of the player character's importance to the plot. Yes, you were tied to it in Baldur's Gate, but that only became apparent near the end of the game and for most of it you were just investigating the...
  13. MMXI

Gamism vs Simulationism

Yes. I'm aware of that. Well this depends on what you judge the high level complexity of strategy and action games to be. I'd imagine RPGs are somewhere in the middle and not necessarily closer to action games, but even this is beside the point. With just a single character and very simplistic...
  14. MMXI

Gamism vs Simulationism

Of course turn-based has its share of problems when it comes to simulation, but this argument is only appropriate when we talk about the depth of simulation and not the breadth. Unless you're modelling things such as combat in a physically correct manner you'll always be able to simulate...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom