Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is a good (recent) 2d-style/side-scroller action games? (Can also be top-down zelda-clones)

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I get this error:

IMG_3677.jpeg

Supposedly, this will fix it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/retrogaming/comments/18hgkx6/links_awakening_dx_hd_pc_port_of_the_gameboy/

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
A couple of other games for PC that have issues are Ocarina of Time and one named Zelda 3.

Z3 is missing
Microsoft.NETCore Appt version 7.0.0 (x64)

Learn about framework resolution https//aka.ms/dotnet/app-launch-failed

Ocarina.. I have no clue. Said I need to be online. Meh.

MasPingon

Arcane

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Oh man Elevator action. I just watched a massive video on Square & ENIX and it included other companies absorbed or worked with. Elevator Action was mentioned.

Fictive Cunt

Novice
Today I've been playing the pc remake of Zelda II. Unlike Link's Awakening, the guy actually translated the NES code so it plays exactly the same with no hiccups in momentum or hitboxes etc. Zelda II has always had such smooth controls but has a lot stacked against it, like being super linear but keeping the optimal path obscure.

Well now it's not so linear as there are a ton of new caves, shortcuts, mini dungeons, and platforming challenges. Even some minigames. Palaces now have automap. Heart and Magic vessels have been replaced by 1/4 containers so much more to find. At least one new item, as I just got a pocket fairy that prevents lava from being instakill. New areas like bridges and ruins, more graphic backdrops for the towns, animated clouds/water, parallax scrolling, but all in the hallmark Zelda II style. It's impressively polished and has a built in randomizer. For some reason it didn't like my controller but one minute in joytokey fixed that problem.

There used to be a "quest" to get a lady some water. Well she lived right next to a fountain so that was no challenge. Now the fountain is dry, you must find an old well and go down to fight the fire wizards that blocked off the water. All in glorious widescreen. Good times

https://hoverbat.itch.io/ziiaol

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well, I got the menu for zelda 3 to pop up only for it to display
DOWNLOAD
PLAY (grayed out not selectable)
OPTIONS (grayed out not selectable)

Dandy! Now I have to haul my laptop to a place to DL. :argh:

Kuruwin

Novice
Astlibra came to Switch last month (also on steam) and it was solid and long 2D action RPG.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
IMG_3865.jpeg

IMG_3864.jpeg

I hit the library and got Zelda 3 running and one of CryZENx’s ocarina of time modules running. The Ocarina runs on unreal5 engine and is resource hogging me to hell. It ran but chugs. I need better hardware.

IMG_3866.jpeg

A damn 6 gig module so this isn’t even the entire game just a snippet.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
So besides MM11 what are some good recently-made side-scrollers?

I also recently played MALDITA CASTILLA and it was EXCELLENT, it is a ghouls and goblins clone:

Besides Maldita Castilla and Mega Man 11 what's good? I see a lot of so-called "metroidvanias" coming out but I have no idea which is even worth playing. One name I saw propped up was "Hollow knight", but is it actually good?

As for zelda-clones and/or top-down view games the only recent one i have seen mentioned recently is that hazille bastille something or other.

images

BROS FUN GAME I BOUGHT DUTING INDY BUFSNDLE ERA

CONTROLS LIKE ABUSE OR BUTCHER

WASD SIDE SCROLWR WITH MOUSE AIMING AND SHOOTING

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom