Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter SKALD: Against the Black Priory - retro RPG inspired by Ultima

Hey, you can even disable the trash mobs in the options!

If Owlcat Games would copy this, you'd be able to finish their games in between two snacks.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Also, some informative bits from the AMA. Namely, Skald is finally getting skalds!

1717614496143.png

1717614542844.png

1717614582241.png

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Also, some informative bits from the AMA. Namely, Skald is finally getting skalds!

View attachment 50563

View attachment 50564

View attachment 50565
Wait did he say *Brian* Herbert? I've been working on a Dune game for 4 years and this is the first time I have seen him used as a reference. I wonder if the dev will be at Spillkonvent next week... I'll try have a chat with him.

Maybe he meant Frank or maybe not. Brian Herbert and the extended series do have their fans.

As much as a lot of us probably wish wasn't the case.

Tihskael

Learned
Can anyone explain how the feat tree works? For example, in Arms Mastery, 1 Rank says Melee Accuracy, 3 Ranks say Ranged Accuracy, 6 says Precise Strike. What will be the breakdown of stat boost for each point invested from 1 through 6?

Tihskael

Learned
Can anyone explain how the feat tree works? For example, in Arms Mastery, 1 Rank says Melee Accuracy, 3 Ranks say Ranged Accuracy, 6 says Precise Strike. What will be the breakdown of stat boost for each point invested from 1 through 6?

Mouse over tells you what you get. Or do you mean something else?
I just wanted to know where each point of investment goes to? Does it look like this? I don't think this is right or should be right.

1st - Melee Accuracy
2nd - Melee Accuracy
3rd - Ranged Accuracy
4th - Ranged Accuracy
5th - Ranged Accuracy
6th - Precise Strike

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

I just wanted to know where each point of investment goes to? Does it look like this? I don't think this is right or should be right.

1st - Melee Accuracy
2nd - Melee Accuracy
3rd - Ranged Accuracy
4th - Ranged Accuracy
5th - Ranged Accuracy
6th - Precise Strike

How many points to earn the tier. Generally it's like 1 point gets 1st tier, 2 more points get 2nd tier, 3 more points get 3rd tier, etc. Partially filled tiers get nothing. As far as I can tell anyway. As I say, I've not done too much other than fart around with the chargen and be annoyed by the lack of documentation.

Tihskael

Learned

1st - Melee Accuracy
2nd - Melee Accuracy
3rd - Ranged Accuracy
4th - Ranged Accuracy
5th - Ranged Accuracy
6th - Precise Strike

How many points to earn the tier. Generally it's like 1 point gets 1st tier, 2 more points get 2nd tier, 3 more points get 3rd tier, etc. Partially filled tiers get nothing. As far as I can tell anyway. As I say, I've not done too much other than fart around with the chargen and be annoyed by the lack of documentation.
See I thought this too, but just one point to get a melee accuracy boost and 3 points to get a ranged accuracy boost made no sense to me. Documentation would have been nice.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Overall I had fun with it. It's a neat little game. I enjoyed it more than Colony Ship or Serpent in the Staglands.

See I thought this too, but just one point to get a melee accuracy boost and 3 points to get a ranged accuracy boost made no sense to me. Documentation would have been nice.

I think the idea is to make further investment in a feat more costly. Because the first ability only costs one point and unlocks the next feat, you can cheaply buy a lot of basic abilities and then master only the ones you care about (except spellcasting which is all or nothing for each feat).

It's basically the same concept as Borderlands except those games force you to fully invest in a perk before unlocking the next one, which I always hated.

mediocrepoet

Patron

That's true, but bear in mind that you can say put 1 point in the first node and then points in that second line of nodes. I believe the third line and up have level requirements, but either way, you can do that to mix and match bonuses to get some things at lower point investments. You don't have to fully load up the first line before moving on.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
I will say I'm not a fan of the modern 'release game, patch forever' model of development. Better to call the game done and get cranking on Skald 2. Expecting games to have 'content updates' forever is not realistic.

Like, I went and replayed Starcrawlers a bit, and I noticed comments saying, "No further content, game abandoned, do not play." WTF? It's DONE you asshole. Early access is ruining people. The idea of a finished release is apparently dead.

mediocrepoet

Patron
I will say I'm not a fan of the modern 'release game, patch forever' model of development. Better to call the game done and get cranking on Skald 2. Expecting games to have 'content updates' forever is not realistic.

Like, I went and replayed Starcrawlers a bit, and I noticed comments saying, "No further content, game abandoned, do not play." WTF? It's DONE you asshole. Early access is ruining people. The idea of a finished release is apparently dead.

I've seen comments like that here about a few games, where you can go in and play it and get what feels like a polished, finished experience and mention that, then get a reply of, "Well, there wasn't enough content." -- Yeah. Every game must have 125+ hours of AAA gameplay to be done.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Alright, I will hand it to the dev for tricking me into playing a storyfag game without realizing it. Well done.

When the ending just plays out without any choices whatsoever you know this was the whole point of the 'game,' for the dev to try to sucker punch you with his twist. :roll:

This is Eye of Argon level storytelling.

8sy9vm.jpg

TheDarkUrge

Educated
Anyone know if I'm fucking myself by avoiding combat? I dont think I got exp for stealthing past some cave enemies.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Alright, I will hand it to the dev for tricking me into playing a storyfag game without realizing it. Well done.

When the ending just plays out without any choices whatsoever you know this was the whole point of the 'game,' for the dev to try to sucker punch you with his twist. :roll:

This is Eye of Argon level storytelling.

8sy9vm.jpg

The more I think about the ending, the more I hate it. Especially if there are no alternative endings.

Anyone know if I'm fucking myself by avoiding combat? I dont think I got exp for stealthing past some cave enemies.
You can stealth past a lot of the endgame, but there are some mandatory fights (at least, I wasn't able to sneak past), the difficulty of which probably depends much more on your party composition than your level.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom