Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes - From Suikoden creators

Mauman

Learned
Also, on a related note, the intro for Suikoden 3 is my favorite jrpg intro.

scytheavatar

Scholar
I'm 100% sure I'm no longer the person I was back when I first played Suikoden I & II.

That being said, nostalgia ain't clouding my mind. With all due respect for people who worked on this, unforunately this game completely lacks any bit of charm that the originals had. There's nothing remotely remarkable about it.

Sure, the art style & music are serviceable, but the combat is unremarkable and tedious even by JRPG standards. All non-boss enemies are feeling like generic trash mobs.

Characters are completely unmemorable, story and dialogue are incredibly bland. Even the joy of building and upgrading your castle isn't there for me.

It's not a "bad" game per se, it's just a bland but somehow semi-competent JRPG that lacks a lot of QoL features. I could have forgiven the latter if the game had any redeeming quality whatsoever.

I was waiting for this game, but after 6 hours of playing it, I'm not gonna finish it. There's no reason for me to push through it.

The reality is that the Suikoden series is a lot like Final Fantasy, it relies on slick presentation and good writing to hide the fact that fundamentally the gameplay is trash. And the devs never were able to figure out how to make a robust and deep gameplay throughout all these games. Old school JRPG writing might have been amazing to you 25 years ago but you probably have grown out of it.

Jinn

Arcane
The reality is that the Suikoden series is a lot like Final Fantasy, it relies on slick presentation and good writing to hide the fact that fundamentally the gameplay is trash.
A sweepingly broad statement that is ultimately true of every Suikoden except 3, but definitely not true about all the Final Fantasies.

The hard mode and additional toggleables in this should have been a remedy to the gameplay problem. I wonder how many people who aren't satisfied used them? To be clear, I have no opinion on Eiyuden Chonicle, as I haven't played it yet.

Reinhardt

Arcane
decided to just watch true ending on jootube and noped really hard out of this idea. everyone playing with english dub and it's fucking ear raping.

Zyondyne

Learned
I'm 100% sure I'm no longer the person I was back when I first played Suikoden I & II.

That being said, nostalgia ain't clouding my mind. With all due respect for people who worked on this, unforunately this game completely lacks any bit of charm that the originals had. There's nothing remotely remarkable about it.

Sure, the art style & music are serviceable, but the combat is unremarkable and tedious even by JRPG standards. All non-boss enemies are feeling like generic trash mobs.

Characters are completely unmemorable, story and dialogue are incredibly bland. Even the joy of building and upgrading your castle isn't there for me.

It's not a "bad" game per se, it's just a bland but somehow semi-competent JRPG that lacks a lot of QoL features. I could have forgiven the latter if the game had any redeeming quality whatsoever.

I was waiting for this game, but after 6 hours of playing it, I'm not gonna finish it. There's no reason for me to push through it.

The reality is that the Suikoden series is a lot like Final Fantasy, it relies on slick presentation and good writing to hide the fact that fundamentally the gameplay is trash. And the devs never were able to figure out how to make a robust and deep gameplay throughout all these games. Old school JRPG writing might have been amazing to you 25 years ago but you probably have grown out of it.

I think the first Suikoden games have some elements (writing bits included) that I'd still enjoy in the present. Unfortunately, Eiyuden Chronicle has none of them. As I said, it completely lacks any semblance of charm or personality.

I wish they would have gone for a slightly more mature/darker tone, in the style of Suikoden II, but it was clear from the very start it's aimed towards a younger audience. So I can't say they fell short of my expectatios in that department. Still, I honestly believed it would have benefited the game.

Themadcow

Augur
I'm probably going to get some flack for this, but I also recommend Suikoden 3. It's probably my favorite in the series despite it's flaws.

Nearly all Suikoden main games are decent. 1 and 2 are the OGs, surprisingly charming and set the stone for future of the series. 2 is probably the best still from the cast and plot alone. 3 while can be awkward is amazingly ambitious. What JRPG or even what game has 6 bloody PoVs covering in the same game? It certainly is very interesting experiment that I hope Eiyuuden team might revisit if they survive this launch. 5 is basically love letter to 1 and 2, have decent casts as well.

The only one that many people seems to agree is that 4 is the worst out of the main game with nothing going for it

S3 is indeed the Rashomon of Video games.

But it doesn't have the S2 Neclord music so there's that.

Last edited:

Mauman

Learned
I'm probably going to get some flack for this, but I also recommend Suikoden 3. It's probably my favorite in the series despite it's flaws.

Nearly all Suikoden main games are decent. 1 and 2 are the OGs, surprisingly charming and set the stone for future of the series. 2 is probably the best still from the cast and plot alone. 3 while can be awkward is amazingly ambitious. What JRPG or even what game has 6 bloody PoVs covering in the same game? It certainly is very interesting experiment that I hope Eiyuuden team might revisit if they survive this launch. 5 is basically love letter to 1 and 2, have decent casts as well.

The only one that many people seems to agree is that 4 is the worst out of the main game with nothing going for it

S3 is indeed the Rashomon of Video games.

But it doesn't have the S2 Neclord music so there's that.

https://youtu.be/fq2vAaU-Kng?si=TNi05gUApjHq_ktI
I prefer "The Chase", or the Lucas Blight battle theme.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Starting this game this week, difficulty is fine with max setting but still mediocre game?

Reinhardt

Arcane
it's not. nowa has no stakes in this war. even when enemies burned his home village everyone survived.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
it's not. nowa has no stakes in this war. even when enemies burned his home village everyone survived.

Eh to be fair Tir was also pretty much shoehorned to be the leader of the Rebel. There is almost 0 reason at all for him to actually be leading Toran faction except Odessa dying wish.

Arguably he could've gone north to his dad and try to clear his name. At least within what we know during the early game.

In reality of course it doesn't really work due to the whole Windy Black Rune thing, but during the time when the choice was given to us it doesn't make much sense. The whole saving the Bandits pair before that too doesn't really make much sense except for sort of heroic syndrome on Geronimo and Cleo part.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Suikoden 2: you are a survivor of a false flag attack, you are fugitive of your own country (literally will get executed vs the current regime), you see how batshit insane Luca Blight is. Prolly Shield/Sword rune fuckery with destiny. But there is enough motivation.

Suikoden 3: Luc's plan fucking over the 3 MCs in general I guess. And Thomas just happens to have a castle. No central MC, just the 3 MCs having different motivation to stop Luc. The Fire Boy prolly has the strongest motivation.

Suikoden 4: got framed, practically hired as a sort of mercenary initially after being an exile, ended up practically trying to unite fractured factions to fight off invaders (sort of natural progression as the group are part of the military of his origin country/island anyway).

Suikoden 5: literally a prince whose sister is literally kept hostage and has his parents murdered. Prolly the strongest personal motivation out of all the MC

This is not like the first Suikoden at all. The first Suikoden was a 15 hour long heavy war story with villages being wiped off of the face of the earth, and many major characters dying left and right. Reaching the epilogue with the requiem music was chilling. Suikoden 2 wasn't anywhere near as good as S1, being stretched across a 40 hour long story and with only two character deaths, but was still otherwise okay.

This game, I got 11 hours in and no villages had been wiped off of the face of the earth and nobody had died. There is zero tension whatsoever. I wound up dropping after I got the castle. The story was so boring I had no desire to turn the page to find out what happened next, no motivation to defeat a heinous bad guy, and the game was so easy even on hard difficulty there was no impetus to buckle down and really figure out the battle system and build my team like in S3.

Mauman

Learned
Suikoden 2 wasn't anywhere near as good as S1
Ho ho....now THAT's a spicy meatball.

Not going to judge myself. After all, S3 is my personal favorite and that too is a bit of a spicy take in the Suikoden world :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom