Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Spiderweb Avadon is a disaster

EldarEldrad

Savant
I like Geneforge series. I did them all twice on Torment and I really enjoy it mostly, with the exception of 5, which is clasterfuck-ish sometimes. So, recently I decided to try Avadon series and it was my biggest mistake since I ate three hot pizzas in one unfortunate evening.

The beginning was ordinary enough, though the game already show itself a bit of strange. Want to position your party somehow? Well, you can't do it simple, you need enter fight mode and every time setup manually. WTF, previous game have that functionality and Avadon degrades? Okay. Writing was ordinary for Vogel (with all that endless repetitions and broken styling, but pretty readable), encounters were not bad, but story was completely non-existing. Zero dramaturgy, you just go from one place to another and beat wrenches, humans and titans. All twists are obvious, especially that Khemeria plot, really, is this supposed to be a twist, when evil says "hehehe, you know, I'm evil btw lol, now u die xD". Real shit hit the fan in the last third of the game with endlessly spawning enemies. Nice fucking joke. Also, game has two endings. God help you if you choose to kill Redbeard because you will end up in climactic battle with final boss. Even Vogel fans say that that encounter sucks ass, you just spend hour of your life to kill respawning golems. This is the real popamole. Another ending does not have final boss at all though, you just kill random trash mob, go through conversation with your buddies, Redbeard and then game is done. No epic confrontation, evil guy just dies in cutscene, I'm fucking serious.

And then comes the second one. Even beginning of the game smells like shit, because you see literally the same. Even 1/5 of locations are just reused from first one without any changes. Changing in skill trees take a lot of Vogel's time, of course, because he remove two arrows in each tree and call it "redesign". Great job.

Contested Lands were bad, but I push through it. Corruption was much, much worse. Did you know that strange, unknown creatures from unexplored lands are just Assault Pods from Geneforge 5? And they have no mouth and must scream - that's why Vogel every time mention that they produce sounds with missing orifices. Seriously, he mentions it 5 times in different descriptions throughout the area. And then I came to Monitor Base D and that messy encounter when demon farts you through rooms. Seriously? It is goddamn ridiculous. More than ridiculous, it is random, so screw any tactics, you just hope that it will work. And when fart ends what do you think happens next? The Same Encounter With Farting Winds Fucking Again.

This is complete description what Avadon series is. It is demon's fart. Please, don't lose your time on these, I already did it for you. Better play any other RPG.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes, Vogel has been phoning it in for some time now. A shame, Geneforge and Avernum were pretty good for their time.

tindrli

Arcane
so many remakes i cant figure out which one is avadon.? remake? or remake of the remake? or remake of the remake of the remake?

Soph

Educated
You should spend some time talking about how the romance subplot of Avadon 2 is a turd masterpiece as well

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
You should slap yourself that you didn't drop it after playing the first one for couple of hours. The decline oozes from anything post-avernum.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
You haven't gotten to the worst part of avadon 2 - as bad as the original's (if you can even apply this word here) boss fight was, at least it was a legit unique fight, with unique fight, etc. The big bad boss of 2 (and of entire series as well) was just a generic ghost model that has existed at least since the days of Geneforge 1, if not earlier.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Avadon game are meh,but not as shit as you are saying lol. Compared to older Vogel's games,they are a huge decline. Still far better than most modern ones tho.

EldarEldrad

Savant
Yeah, about encounters. Really, even in later Geneforges Vogel reused its own encounters but it reached apotheosis in Avadon because this series has only three type of encounters:
1. The ones exactly from previous game
2. Trash combat that you can autopilot on Torment without any thinking
3. Demon's fart

Personally, I like G2 encounters because they are broken-the-right-way, and G4 encounters because they are polished-but-sterile. G3 was bad: mental magic and hard CC still worked as in G1-2 but now they were interrupted by scripts because, you know, plot is too important. Some G5 encounters was outright bad, for example, that mess with shaper-rebel battle in the middle of the game. It took me around 70 minutes to finish the encounter, it was easy and endlessly boring. HP bloats didn't help either. But Avadon is new level of shitty encounter design.

Avadon game are meh,but not as shit as you are saying lol. Compared to older Vogel's games,they are a huge decline. Still far better than most modern ones tho.
I almost don't play modern games, so I can't say if they far better than any shit popular this day or not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom