Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon's Dogma II - "They’re masterworks, all – you can’t go wrong"

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
DD2 also has better exploration than in DD1. At one point I was on an unexplored narrow mountain trail, at night, in the rain. So I couldn't light lanterns, there were no campsites anywhere near me and I couldn't see shit, like where the cliffs edges were. That was harrowing and not an experience you get in many games. The closest thing I can think of are old blobbers that only allowed rests and saves back at the inn.
I know that area, sadly it seems like its the only place in whole game where such rain can happen. Exploration is somehow leagues better but at the same time its worse in regards of rewards, unique equipment is very rare and quite often is already available to buy in nearby settlements and its mostly potions, money, and other junk like that.
DD2 exploration and map design reminds of Gothic 1 and 2...

Carceri

Arcane
Anyway exploration was fun in the beginning but it gets old when you realize every hidden cave or dungeon has generic loot and the same enemies. It is weird that they bothered to design such a detailed map with so many hidden optional places... but then forgot to make it worthwhile for you to explore it.
For me it was the opposite experience. I found the various caves to be worth exploring, most of them contain quite a bit of equipment pieces and weapons, from which some were elemental enchanted and not buyable from vendors. I wouldn't call any of these generic loot. The enemies were as varied as the DD2 monster roster allows it, for example some caves were full of bandits, others had various more powerful saurian subspecies, scavengers, slimes, sludges, specters, skeletons, stout undead etc. One cave had a chimera, another cave had a gorechimera and a lich. One cave had a tough skeleton boss that drops a unique head gear for sorcerer vocation. Goreminotaur boss in another cave, iirc it had unique loot as well. I think the variety is not that bad as some people are trying to paint it. True, the caves have the same look unfortunately, the design could have been more varied though.

Artyoan

Arbiter
There are some uniques also like in the first game. Either way, I've never found this to be a very loot driven game series. It's more about exploration and adventure imo and it delivers it excellently.

Does it? I mean once you realize the caves are similar as well as the enemies.

Fun for a good score of hours but it begins to get old fast. I'm feeling like rushing the main quest now.
That's fine, but for reference, I've probably played DD1 for over a thousand hours over the years and view DD2 as a significant improvement. Currently haven't finished my first run in DD2, sitting at something like 85 hours so far.

So yeah, I think it delivers.
Very much still enjoying it and looking forward to playing it every day when I get the chance. But my thoughts on it are that it is an extremely solid base foundation for a type of game that isn't found anywhere else. Which is exactly what I thought about DD1. I'd have preferred we get something on the level of Dark Arisen right out of the gate, instead of hoping we get something as impressive as DLC.

It just needs more. More of everything. And a difficulty scaling that keeps the Loss system relevant. I should still fear roaming through the night or wanting to ease my way into a cave/dungeon even at level 37. There is even a lore excuse already present to have more monstrous things begin to stir. The reason enemies are everywhere is already said that such things occur when the dragon arrives. So make harder variants show up based on level.

I've said before that I think DD1 was a Demon's Souls waiting on its Dark Souls. That's still what I'm wanting to see.

Reinhardt

Arcane
DD2 also has better exploration than in DD1. At one point I was on an unexplored narrow mountain trail, at night, in the rain. So I couldn't light lanterns, there were no campsites anywhere near me and I couldn't see shit, like where the cliffs edges were. That was harrowing and not an experience you get in many games. The closest thing I can think of are old blobbers that only allowed rests and saves back at the inn.
I know that area, sadly it seems like its the only place in whole game where such rain can happen. Exploration is somehow leagues better but at the same time its worse in regards of rewards, unique equipment is very rare and quite often is already available to buy in nearby settlements and its mostly potions, money, and other junk like that.
except combat is good

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Whoever made this pawn is a fucking asshole.

1712069633203.png

Saggy tits and all. Jesus.

Suicidal

Arcane
I've played for 22 hours now and I've only done 1 quest for Brant. Is there something wrong with me?

That's how I would describe it as well. Of course, DD2 doesn't reach the same level of immersiveness in how the NPCs behave and how the world reacts to your actions, but I think that the DD series are perhaps the games closest to Piranha Bytes games in style. I really like how the world is designed. It's fun to traverse and whenever you go you're bound to come across unscripted happenings, whether it's a Minotaur attacking a random cart, wandering traders that each have unique stock, NPCs that give you little side quests, monsters fighting each other and etc. It's also very easy to wander into an area you're not supposed to be in at your level and get killed.

Compare that to something like Elden Ring, which I also enjoyed, but the world there really feels like you're playing a single player MMO, with color-coded zones roughly segregated by the level you are expected to be at, enemies with tiny aggro ranges that just teleport to spawn if you go too far from them, the same rats and bats in a zone having 3 times more HP than in another zone and etc, absolutely no randomness, static enemy behavior, no activities other than monster farming, etc.

Playing DD2 actually makes me want to finally play Gothic 1 and 2, which, believe it or not, I've never played. I've only played 3 :lol:

Last edited:

Shrimp

Arbiter
I've played for 22 hours now and I've only done 1 quest for Brant. Is there something wrong with me?
I wouldn't say so, I imagine I was in a similar spot although I didn't keep track of the playtime/hours. DD1's quest design was still sitting in the back of my mind so I deliberately tried to avoid anything that felt like it was remotely related to the main story in order to explore side areas in case I'd somehow lose out on something if I progressed the story too far.

Anonona

Learned
It wouldn't be too much hyperbole to say 90% of the game is sidequest and exploration, it really is the best idea to put off the main quest for as long as you can. If you only focus on doing the main quest you'll miss most of the game and even could finish the games in relatively few hours.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
The pathfinding in DD2 is probably more advanced than any tech in the games you mentioned.
The last part is also funny in the context of that game list.
This. DD2 is doing far more advanced shit in terms of AI. And those games do not objectively look better. Cyberpunk 2077 isn't even very good looking imo. Elden Ring is beautiful artistically but technically speaking it is nothing special. Somebody made a comparison video between it and Demon's Souls remake and ER looks straight up last gen by comparison.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
I have killed so many goblins!

Anyway exploration was fun in the beginning but it gets old when you realize every hidden cave or dungeon has generic loot and the same enemies. It is weird that they bothered to design such a detailed map with so many hidden optional places... but then forgot to make it worthwhile for you to explore it.

Sure you will end up with a lot of wakestones and etc but who cares.
Literally one of the very first dungeons you come across has unique loot and two extremely powerful boss fights. It was talked about a few pages ago.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Over 100 hours in now. Still haven't encountered all the new monsters. I'm not sure how accurate this time counter is though. I don't feel like I've been playing for 100 hours. I left the game paused alot.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
My pawn was hired for the first time :-D
Never experienced the BBS in DD1 because I had a gog copy and don't use Galaxy
Anyway, it was some german but I think he hired my Sofia solely because she's cute, as both him and his pawn where somewhere in level 30 (while I'm still level 10)
He or she, were incredibly generous - gifted me equipment on their level and a portcrystal:
what I was using VS what he gave me said:

Anonona

Learned
DJOGamer PT said:
He or she, were incredibly generous - gifted me equipment on their level and a portcrystal

There is also the possibility that they started traveling together at level 10, ended up taking a liking to her, and he gave her the gear so she could catch up in power and spend more time with his party. Regardless, it was very nice of him.

:love:

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Currently hunting that "Dullahan" thing that wiped my party near the very beginning of the game. I never forget, and I'm gonna jam an explosive arrow as far up it's ass as I possibly can.

Seems he's the cowardly sort who only appears when lowly travelers are about. I ain't done.

803162a9-adcd-4670-ab99-68b4c2939333_text.gif

Last edited:

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I've said before that I think DD1 was a Demon's Souls waiting on its Dark Souls.
Oh yeah. I remember thinking to myself all those years back when I first played Demon Souls on the Xbox: "I can't wait for Fromsoft to take ten fucking years to make the next game an incomplete mess except dumb it down for idiots, remove mechanics, remove classes, not add the motherfucking monk class, 4 skill slots, and MTX with a high premium price tag for that beautiful, buttery, 10-30 fps experience".

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
I've said before that I think DD1 was a Demon's Souls waiting on its Dark Souls.
Oh yeah. I remember thinking to myself all those years back when I first played Demon Souls on the Xbox: "I can't wait for Fromsoft to take ten fucking years to make the next game an incomplete mess except dumb it down for idiots, remove mechanics, remove classes, not add the motherfucking monk class, 4 skill slots, and MTX with a high premium price tag for that beautiful, buttery, 10-30 fps experience".
We need a poor nigga button. ^This MFer can't even get 30fps. You realize I was joking when I said it's best on Steam Deck, right?

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
I'm gonna wait for the complete edition which will come with the inevitable expansion.
It's never coming because of scumbags like you. Drive off a cliff with your entire family packed in the car, plz and thx. Burn in hell for ruining the one good thing the gaming gods decided to give us.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom