Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon's Dogma II - "They’re masterworks, all – you can’t go wrong"

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
Yes. And it was awesome.

Suicidal

Arcane
I never played the first game but all the previews are like "basically just a bunch of systems with emergent gameplay" and that has me intrigued. I like that emergent gameplay shit.
I'd describe Dragon's Dogma as Oblivion/Skyrim, but fun, but also unfinished. Very unfinished. At times it feels more like a proof-of-concept than a game and there is a point in the story where it's very clear that they run out of money and had to wrap it up. Still, even in its unfinished state it's a very fun game where physics play a much bigger role in various interactions and combat than the vast majority of action RPGs. Reminds me a bit of Dark Messiah, but in third person. If you haven't played the first one, it's $5 at the moment on Steam and it's not very long so you can finish it by the time 2 comes out and you'll have a better idea of whether or not you'd be interested in it, as it will just be more of the same, but more polished and finished, hopefully.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Lol, imagine fighting Death at a low level. I could never beat that asshole and my character was level 100 something.
He's actually really easy to kill due to having only a couple simple attacks, provided you know his weak spot/elements. It's actually totally viable to go there at level 1, take the giant stash of grenades and make your first kill catapult you to a stupidly high level and net you some insanely overpowered gear.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Lol, imagine fighting Death at a low level. I could never beat that asshole and my character was level 100 something.
He's actually really easy to kill due to having only a couple simple attacks, provided you know his weak spot/elements. It's actually totally viable to go there at level 1, take the giant stash of grenades and make your first kill catapult you to a stupidly high level and net you some insanely overpowered gear.
You have a video of this approach? I'd like to try it. All I remember is his HP being absurdly high and every single attack he has one-shots you.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Want to know who celebrates this? Twitter and Reddit.... and the Codex.

GILtFGuX0AAb702

GILtKGbW4AAKGt9

GILtRfuXcAAaqbV
I'm pretty far right and I don't care you can create blacks in the character creator.

You can create good looking western characters, and the game is not pozzed like Bear Sex Gay 3.

Just enjoy one of the few good gaming things we have left.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
You have a video of this approach? I'd like to try it. All I remember is his HP being absurdly high and every single attack he has one-shots you.
From what I recall the trick is to bait out his sleep attack, which takes a while and is always followed up by a really slow melee swing.

Note that I'm not suggesting to actually kill death right away; he does have over half a million health and is meant to be killed over multiple engagements. But you can easily evade him and he's not hard to kill once you do get a ranged attack that can deal decent damage to him.

Instead what you do is kill Gazer; throwblasts have a little over 6k attack power, and if you use them on it's weak points along with the sigil thing that appears you can win the fight at level one, which gets you access to the second tier of BBI behind it where you can find really nice shit in the chests and farmable enemies. And the gazer itself is worth a ton of xp.

ChildInTime

Learned
You have to really work for it to make something passable in this character creator, also as others said - posture and animations don't really fit female characters.

6pMpyIj.jpeg

Suicidal

Arcane
Finished DDDA main campaign + BBI. Still a really great game after all these years.

Mystic knight is a weird class. Maybe I was doing something wrong but I was really struggling against the last boss of BBI which I don't remember giving me much trouble on my first run as a warrior. I found that MK needs a lot of setup time to do damage (apply buffs, place sigils on the ground) and when Daimon banished all my pawns in phase 2, I couldn't get an opportunity to reapply my buffs and place the sigils because he was constantly attacking me, so all I could do was just hit him with my hammer for like 1% of one of his 10 health bars per hit, 2-3% if I managed to reapply Abyssal Anguish.

Had to retry to fight like 5 times and in my winning try I used like a hundred consumables I've been hoarding over the course of the game and I can't imagine this being the intended way to fight him. I even managed to interrupt his banishment spell once and it still took this much.

Now it's gonna be a long 10 days wait til DD2.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mystic knight is a weird class. Maybe I was doing something wrong but I was really struggling against the last boss of BBI which I don't remember giving me much trouble on my first run as a warrior. I found that MK needs a lot of setup time to do damage (apply buffs, place sigils on the ground) and when Daimon banished all my pawns in phase 2, I couldn't get an opportunity to reapply my buffs and place the sigils because he was constantly attacking me, so all I could do was just hit him with my hammer for like 1% of one of his 10 health bars per hit, 2-3% if I managed to reapply Abyssal Anguish.
It is that of the year!

I really hope I can combo something like Mystic Knight with the Warfarer class or I'll riot!

Last edited:

Anonona

Learned
I really hope I can combo something like Mystic Knight with the Wayfarer class or I'll riot!
You can approximate a similar gameplay style combining Fighter with Mage, as Fighter now has the Enchanted Riposter skill of Mystic Knight. Not the mines nor the orb that shots projectiles when you hit them though, unless those skills are on Mystic Spear or something.

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent
The absolute state of video games when westerners get hyped up over the revival of Japanese Skyrim for the PS3, now with more niggers and neo-pronouns. It's bad enough when coprophages here cum over Miyazaki's series of poorly put together Dungeon Lords ripoffs, but now the flops of the early 2010's get to wear the RPG crown?

Anonona

Learned
There seems to be more information on how they are going to balance Warfarer with the other Vocation. It seems Warfare won't be able to use the Master Skills of other vocations and one of their Skill slots will be used for changing weapons, so technically speaking they can only use 3 skills instead of 4. They seem to relay more in Vocation actions and Core Skills, as now there are more of those and have a bigger impact on how a Vocation plays.

itsuno-on-warfarer-v0-a9pmsuu81nnc1.png

Edit: Corrected the name of the vocation

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Want to know who celebrates this? Twitter and Reddit.... and the Codex.

GILtFGuX0AAb702

GILtKGbW4AAKGt9

GILtRfuXcAAaqbV
I'm pretty far right and I don't care you can create blacks in the character creator.

You can create good looking western characters, and the game is not pozzed like Bear Sex Gay 3.

Just enjoy one of the few good gaming things we have left.
Horseshoe theory in action

Yosharian

Arcane
There seems to be more information on how they are going to balance Warfare with the other Vocation. It seems Warfare won't be able to use the Master Skills of other vocations and one of their Skill slots will be used for changing weapons, so technically speaking they can only use 3 skills instead of 4. They seem to relay more in Vocation actions and Core Skills, as now there are more of those and have a bigger impact on how a Vocation plays.

itsuno-on-warfarer-v0-a9pmsuu81nnc1.png
Ok but it's Wayfarer Warfarer

Last edited:

Anonona

Learned
Ok but it's Wayfarer
I though so too, I infact have been calling the Vocation Wayfarer too in my previous posts, but it turns out I was wrong, the official website calls it Warfarer. Just confirmed it after looking up the webpage to take pictures of the vocations.

Warfarer-DD2-Name.png

Last edited:

Turn_BASED

Educated
The absolute state of video games when westerners get hyped up over the revival of Japanese Skyrim for the PS3, now with more niggers and neo-pronouns. It's bad enough when coprophages here cum over Miyazaki's series of poorly put together Dungeon Lords ripoffs, but now the flops of the early 2010's get to wear the RPG crown?
You’re a midwit contrarian that complains about anything that people are justifiably excited for. I’m basically Hitler 2 in my political views and the existence of blaxx in this setting doesn’t bother me at all. Being a downer shithead about what’s going to be an obviously great game isn’t just stupid, it’s boring. You’re also fat and gay.

Anonona

Learned
what's the appeal of this game why normies are so hyped about it?
Probably the ARPG that best seem to captures the feeling of classic DnD with its focus on Vocations and cooperation on a party, its aesthetics and the importance of knowing enemies weaknesses and strengths, as well as a simple yet satisfiying combat system with a variety of gameplay styles depending on your vocation.

It also has many unique quirks like character height, weight and even in occasions gender having an impact on different aspects, both combat and explorations, rare mechanics like being able to climb, grapple, pick and throw enemies, fighters using their shields to help others jump higher, water being able to put out your lamp and making you wet and actually having effects on combat, nights that are actually dark, food that spoils, pawns that learn how to fight from you and can share their knowledge to other player's pawns, etc.

In short, is a very peculiar game that has good core gameplay while having a considerable amount of small mechanics that makes the sum greater than their parts.

Japanese can't into English.
Funny enough, the Japanese name for Warfarer is just "Arisen". If you go to the Japanese version of the webpage, each vocation has their name in Japanese over their english names. For Warfarer its アリズン, which goggle translates as "Arizen", that is, Arisen in Katakana (I think? I'm not sure if Katakana is what they use for foreign words).

just

Liturgist
what's the appeal of this game why normies are so hyped about it?
Probably the ARPG that best seem to captures the feeling of classic DnD with its focus on Vocations and cooperation on a party, its aesthetics and the importance of knowing enemies weaknesses and strengths, as well as a simple yet satisfiying combat system with a variety of gameplay styles depending on your vocation.

It also has many unique quirks like character height, weight and even in occasions gender having an impact on different aspects, both combat and explorations, rare mechanics like being able to climb, grapple, pick and throw enemies, fighters using their shields to help others jump higher, water being able to put out your lamp and making you wet and actually having effects on combat, nights that are actually dark, food that spoils, pawns that learn how to fight from you and can share their knowledge to other player's pawns, etc.

In short, is a very peculiar game that has good core gameplay while having a considerable amount of small mechanics that makes the sum greater than their parts.

Funny enough, the Japanese name for Warfarer is just "Arisen". If you go to the Japanese version of the webpage, each vocation has their name in Japanese over their english names. For Warfarer its アリズン, which goggle translates as "Arizen", that is, Arisen in Katakana (I think? I'm not sure if Katakana is what they use for foreign words).
so would you say it's a combatfag game?
+some crafting and survival elements

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
A risu. It's probably some kind of rice. Properly cooked and stirred.
Or it's a technical term, that's why they use Katakana. So new character was inspired by DMC Dante. Well, looks like Japanese are creatively bankrupt yet again.

There is Japanese article in case you want to see Japanese preview.
https://jp.ign.com/dragons-dogma-ii/73246/news/2

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Actually I have low expectations. I think they are victim of success of theirs original game, and they don't know why original was a decent game.

So I expect they got budget, and then they had no idea what to do with it, and in many areas of the game we would see a "we have no clue what we are doing" programmed with excellent workmanship skills.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom