Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

You won't believe these games are not available on Steam/GOG

pippin

I remember some Everquest game where people complained because you had to dig dirt until you went crazy. Was that Everquest 2 or something like that?

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Can't say how well this counts since it probably leans a bit more towards a traditional adventure game, but I remember having lots of fun with the B.A.T. series (made by Ubi Soft) back in the day, way back, especially the second game.

bat2-1.jpg

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
I remember some Everquest game where people complained because you had to dig dirt until you went crazy. Was that Everquest 2 or something like that?

Don't remember anything like that. Might have been 'Everquest Next' which never got past beta / was canceled. It was some sort of minecraft MMO.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
The whole Infocom library (at least the Z-machine games). GOGMAGOG offers a package that only contains 6 games out of 35, with quality ranging from excellent (Planetfall) to mediocre (Zork Zero).

And what about the Legend Entertainment games? Those Spellcasting 101 games should do fine with the Harry Potter craze.

Last edited by a moderator:

hellbent

Augur
Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance should come to GOG - Because I'm a sucker for old D&D games, and because I never finished it before I upgraded to Win 98 and rendered the sumbitch unplayable.

etWpyhi.jpg
pa0B5xv.jpg
49azsKP.jpg
9w22jjf.jpg

Lhynn

Arcane
Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance should come to GOG - Because I'm a sucker for old D&D games, and because I never finished it before I upgraded to Win 98 and rendered the sumbitch unplayable.

etWpyhi.jpg
pa0B5xv.jpg
49azsKP.jpg
9w22jjf.jpg
This one looks amazing, is it any good?

hellbent

Augur

etWpyhi.jpg
pa0B5xv.jpg
49azsKP.jpg
9w22jjf.jpg

I liked it quite a bit at the time, and pretty much played it on "Basic" mode because I was young and stupid. The Basic mode allows you to ignore the economic and diplomatic needs of your chosen nation and just focus on the Adventures and Battles. The Advanced mode turns on more options for controlling your economy and other aspects of your rule. I dabbled with the more advanced options and they reminded me of Lords of the Realm 2 at the time. The UI felt a bit clunky, but I had little experience in 4x games at the time, so that might have been a factor.

Adventure mode was awesome, as this was the RPG portion of the game. You would basically navigate a dungeon in first person blobber format, then engage in combat in real time. Real time combat was similar to Eye of the Beholder. However, the camera will pan back and you can see your party and give them orders. Turn-based would have been better, of course, but it was functional. Spells and skills were classic D&D, though I don't recall any specific ruleset being used. There were spells to use in your realm in strategy mode as well.

The downsides I recall other than the UI in the strategy mode was that you could not create your character. You can level them up, but not create them from scratch. At least, I couldn't figure it out then. I haven't been successful at getting it to run since then. It's one of those Windows 3.1 / 95 games that were released right after the age of DOS ended, so they were extremely reliant upon the limited Windows-compliant hardware of the time to run.

Can I just say the entire RPG back catalog of SSI, Origin Systems, and Electronic Arts?

Among Others:

Escape from Hell!
Adventure Construction Set!
Deathlord!
Phantasie 1-3!!!
Tangled Tales!
Black Crypt!
Shard of Spring!
Wizard's Crown!
Legacy of the Ancients!

If some of these are legit available let me know where.

Also some of the Sierra and Broderbund and smaller press stuff like 4 Crystals of Trazere, Psychic War, Sorcerian, Wrath of Denethenor, Dark Heart of Urukul.

Yeah some of these aren't PC or the best versions aren't PC but is it really that hard to get a legit wrapper for an ST, Amiga, or C64 emulator in those cases?

fabrulana

Augur
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I remember playing Legacy of the Ancients on my C64. I loved it.

One of my first PC RPGs were Times of Lore... don't think GOG has that.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Can I just say the entire RPG back catalog of SSI, Origin Systems, and Electronic Arts?

Among Others:

Escape from Hell!
Adventure Construction Set!
Deathlord!
Phantasie 1-3!!!
Tangled Tales!
Black Crypt!
Shard of Spring!
Wizard's Crown!
Legacy of the Ancients!

If some of these are legit available let me know where.

Also some of the Sierra and Broderbund and smaller press stuff like 4 Crystals of Trazere, Psychic War, Sorcerian, Wrath of Denethenor, Dark Heart of Urukul.

Yeah some of these aren't PC or the best versions aren't PC but is it really that hard to get a legit wrapper for an ST, Amiga, or C64 emulator in those cases?
Maybe if they bundled C64 Forever and these games, it would be nice. If would get messy including the emulator and the games together. GOG games are designed around Dosbox, when necessary. Also, a lot of the C64 EA games choke on emulators because of the bootloader.

Black Crypt was Amiga only, so that would also present a problem. I'm sure there is a free emulator, but I just can't see this working like natively designed DOS games. If they could find a wrapper, add:
Populous 1 & 2
Civilization
Powermonger and a few others to your list. Those games ran best on the Amiga.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Hammer & Sickle was quite a nice game. It was a little goofy but still it was a solid game. It's sort of a Jagged Alliance gameplay-wise (like it's predecessor Silent Storm which was a pure squad tactics) but with an emphazis on a replayability. Had a short but branching story. Also it was hard and unorthodox in it's... Realistic aspect.

One of the first fights you get into is in open field right near several guys with guns in their hands. IIRC whatever charcter you've used you'd have a grenade that will destroy most of bad guys - but the other way would be to start as a scout character. That would mean you're good with pistols. And pistols, unlike bigger guns, allow you to shoot and aim quickly. And the thing is - the game is realistic, so a bullet to a head is almost often fatal whatever gun you use. So if you're small quick scout you can quickly headshot all the enemies on your first turn. With a bigger gun you could obliterate couple of guys but then you run out of action points. Sniper can get a character anywhere in the map (and with bigger gun he can shoot a guy he doesn't actually see, penetrating weak walls), but they often need a turn or even several turns to aim properly. On the very same map you learn that later reinforcements come, and if you're a scout you're pretty screwed: you'll probably have to hide in buildings and use traps, and still be destroyed when you're found.

Most of other games on this list look like trash but that one was good.

V_K

Arcane
I remember liking the strategy part a lot more than the RPG part. Combat in the Adventure mode is that weird late-90s RTwP (or was it without the P?) abomination where sprites' animations have literally zero to do with wtf is happeni mechanically. If you played Arcatera, you know what I mean. And I think the level design of the dungeons was pretty uninspired. But I liked the strategic battles, there were some fun mechanics to them.

Don Peste

Arcane
Added a bunch of your recommendations (Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships, Hammer & Sickle, Seal of Evil, Pirates of the Caribbean (Sea Dogs 2), Devil Whiskey, Cold Zero: No Mercy, Another War, Pyrrhic Tales: Prelude to Darkness, Magic & Mayhem: The Art of Magic, Demise: Rise of the Ku'tan, Wizards & Warriors, Arcatera: The Dark Brotherhood, Magic & Mayhem, Hexplore, Warhammer: Dark Omen, Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance).
Also Saga: Rage of Vikings.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom