Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry Empire I - English Translation for Game Boy Color NOW FINISHED!!!!

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Hello Wizardry fans! Wanted to post this new topic in preparation of a soon to be finished project. This is an English translation project for Wizardry Empire 1 on the Game Boy Color.

32158_front.jpg
32158_back.jpg

CcbeDGg.png

100% Completed!

:DALSO DECIDED TO CHANGE THE OLD PLAIN WIZARDRY FONT TO THAT OF WIZARDRY V/WIZARDRY GAIDEN IV STYLE WHICH MOST HAVE AGREED LOOKS MUCH BETTER :D

SPECIAL THANKS TO

MARK PATRAW FOR HIS WIZARDRY WEBSITE PROVIDING A WEALTH OF INFORMATION TO HELP TRANSLATE THIS TITLE.

AGENTORANGE FOR HER EXPERT TRANSLATION ABILITIES IN COMPLETING THIS PROJECT!

HELLY FOR HIS GREAT CONTRIBUTIONS TO ALSO TRANSLATING TEXT IN THIS GAME!

RAINPONCHO FOR HIS ASM EDITS AND ADVANCE WORK

PAINTMYPROBLEMS FOR FIXING THE DUNGEON CHARACTER RECRUITMENT ISSUES

&

PACNSACDAVE FOR DOING THE TITLE SCREEN ALTERATION!

:DAlso just uploaded Wizardry Empire avatars to Crooked Bee which are now available for use :)

LkAxZKe.png
nDpMxUp.png
bWIRdZC.png
m6IaYq5.png
CCF8udv.png
ZYDLUc6.png
nM85Wog.png
xNRLP9p.png
JZizHWy.png
0fb3rRF.png
ayxEIhw.png

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Nice work MrRichard. Downloading now. Probably won't spend too much time since I have other things on my plate, but cool to see nonetheless.

Hope everybody likes it. The next game will be Wizardry Empires II - Legacy of the Princess for PC :)
Thanks for all your work for us Wiz fans! I've been playing this and found some untranslated/garbled dungeon dialogue and a bug that hangs the game.
I can describe it and provide a savestate one step away from reproducing the bug if you are interested - I realize it's been a while and you might not wanna work on this project, of course...

At any rate, thanx again!

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Hope everybody likes it. The next game will be Wizardry Empires II - Legacy of the Princess for PC :)
Thanks for all your work for us Wiz fans! I've been playing this and found some untranslated/garbled dungeon dialogue and a bug that hangs the game.
I can describe it and provide a savestate one step away from reproducing the bug if you are interested - I realize it's been a while and you might not wanna work on this project, of course...

At any rate, thanx again!

Sure, can you PM me the savestate and the issue?

"Sure, can you PM me the savestate and the issue?

Sorry for replying and not PM'ing - seems like I can't PM cause I've got a newb account and am under supervision. Of course, I'm also literally retarded, so... maybe if you PM'ed me I could reply?

So, this issue *might* be related to recruitment events in the dungeon. The first recruitable NPC I found had garbled text, similar to what is described in this thread from the Empire 2 (game boy) translation:
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...ation-project-for-game-boy-color.97940/page-2
However, I was able to recruit that character and move on with the game, even with the garbled text.

The reason I think it might be the same issue is because of the music - it's the same theme as the earlier recruitment event. However, this one causes the game to freeze. To see it in action, load the save state and move one square forward.

Anyways, here is the save state (was using "Ganbatte" emulator under retroarch, tried other emulators and got same issue):
https://a.uguu.se/gun3647IL07F_WizardryEmpire(J)(V1.1)[C][!](patched).state8

This link comes from some 24-hour anon fileshare site, let me know if it breaks (there's lag on my postings becoming visible) and I'll repost or try something different.

Let me know if there is more I can do to help - I'm really happy that your team translated these, and I started with this one 'cause I didn't see too much about it online.

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
There is a good chance that might be emulator related, i never really heard of that one or that issue ever come up before and the patch has been out for a while. You try using a more well known game boy emulator besides that one? VisualBoyAdvance works great.

>There is a good chance that might be emulator related, i never really heard of that one or that issue ever come up before and the patch has been out for a while. You try using a more well known game boy emulator besides that one? VisualBoyAdvance works great.
Good idea - I've tried now in mGBA, which seems pretty well respected and got the same error as before.

I've got VBA set up and running (VBA-M actually) but am running into a lot of bullshit trying to get a save state (not surprising) or battery save (surprising) to load in the emulator. I'll probably figure it out sooner or later and let you know.

>Also did you check the CRC of the original ROM you patched? There are 2 version of it floating around.
Yes, I have the right version, according the crc32 and the project page.

Also did you check the CRC of the original ROM you patched? There are 2 version of it floating around.
I sorted my issues, and it turns out that it was neither an emulator or wrong rom issue. In VBA-M, with the correct CRC rom, the issue is the same.

I've made another savestate (should be VBA compatible) with the same condition - step forward one space to see the bug in action:
https://a.uguu.se/oM5fed3xvejz_forward-for-error.sgm

Here's a not-too-helpful screenshot from VBA:
TaJjoEz

https://imgur.com/a/TaJjoEz
"Murphy" is the name of the lead character. It happens to be the one with the garbled recruitment text. I've also tried visiting with a full/not full party, and switching lead character (which does switch the displayed name).

Let me know if there is anything else I can do!

Last edited:
I ran into another game freeze with garbled text (playing under vba-m). I suspect this is another recruitment encounter in the dungeon - due to the same happy music and a developing feel for the dungeon design as I progress downwards.
Here is the save state:
https://a.uguu.se/ZI6IRCQqOKHD_forward-for-error2.sgm

To reproduce the error, take one step forwards.

This game is pretty great - if anyone likes the pre-bradley wizardries, I can recommend it, and this bug doesn't block progress - everything else has been working well.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yes, I'm playing this myself on my phone and I would agree that despite the GBC limitations, it's the same old Wizardry we all love. Not got very far yet, just finishing the first dungeon so not run into any bugs at all. These games are fantastic to emulate on android, so much better than any of the mobile shovelware on Play store. I'd try your save state myself, but I have no idea where the GBC emulator I'm using, (one of Broglia's) stores save states. Can't find it in the folder in Android/Data.

My top tip- 'select' when over anything provides a description screen, including damage for weapons and AC for armour. Took me far too long to discover that.

I am assuming the 'Shoot' and 'DMG Focus' options in combat prioritise accuracy and damage respectively at the cost of the other, and 'Normal' balances both?

Nice! I haven't seen a lot of posts about others trying this, I'm glad you are playing along.
Not got very far yet, just finishing the first dungeon
You mean the first floor, right? So far I've mapped about 9 and found two elevator shafts, and I guess I assume that there is only the one dungeon...

My top tip- 'select' when over anything provides a description screen, including damage for weapons and AC for armour. Took me far too long to discover that.
Whoa! Really? I don't know if I ever would have found that! I've been looking at the "museum entries". I wish there was a way to see # of attacks, too...

I am assuming the 'Shoot' and 'DMG Focus' options in combat prioritise accuracy and damage respectively at the cost of the other, and 'Normal' balances both?
Yeah, that's right. If you decide that you'd rather not (it's a lot of extra choices per battle), setting "fight" to mania instead of normal will take away the extra options. I don't know what any of the other mania selections do, except for Map: normal shows you a mini-map when you dumapic, and mania just tells you your (x,y) floor, and facing.

The only thing that bums me out about the game is that there isn't native saving in the dungeon (except when you tpk) - like if you quit the game mid-dungeon and restart, select an out party, they are right under the stairs back to town on the first level, and their state is as if you never went anywhere that trip. That happens to you, too - right?

It's odd that if the party gets stoned, the game records their position and state for your retrieval, including spell slots and everything, but I can't find a way to leave off a successful adventure without making a save state. Am I missing something?

It's not like I have to start each day over if I go to sleep without getting stoned in real life...

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Nice! I haven't seen a lot of posts about others trying this, I'm glad you are playing along.
Not got very far yet, just finishing the first dungeon
You mean the first floor, right? So far I've mapped about 9 and found two elevator shafts, and I guess I assume that there is only the one dungeon...

Yes, I've just realised that. I was down to the 4th floor and thought it would be like Elminage where each dungeon was about 4 floors, but then found the elevator and discovered this is not the case! Played too much Elminage recently and not enough Wizardry!

Cheers for the Mania info, from experience I know I'm just not hardcore enough for the frankly insane Mania options in Japanese Wizardries so the first thing I did was set everything to Normal. I wonder if that's related to the saving issue you have as well? I've not encountered that myself as whenever I start up my emulator it tells me there's an autosave and I get straight back to where I was. When you play on a mobile, save states are a must. I'm also realising how useful it is to screenshot the map rather than rely on ingame mapping, as for 400gp a map sheet only lasts for a few times before being used up.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
How incredibly lucky the Japanese were to play very decent versions of Wizardry on a fucking Game Boy Color back in the day - 20 years ago to be exact.

I wonder if that's related to the saving issue you have as well?
Ah, you know, for some reason I assumed it wasn't a bug but just a design feature. Now that you mention it, it does seem odd - the game clearly has the ability to save player state well enough (evidenced by the saving of "eradicated" parties) to leave a party "away" and return back to it. Maybe I have to signal that I'm ending the game somehow??

I have everything but "map" set to mania -> I assumed that setting "save" to mania would make the game write saves all the time (like old dos-wizardry), but maybe I just don't understand the settings. I should see how Empire 2 (gbc) behaves as a test, since they seem to use the same engine. hmm.

I'm also realising how useful it is to screenshot the map rather than rely on ingame mapping

I think several of the maps are designed to punish the player who isn't drawing their own maps via repetition of map elements and spinners. Level 2 and 4 for example, could be pretty confusing if you didn't dumapic a lot. Eventually the map record sheets will be cheap for you, but I've actually been mapping as a play (mostly because I have a good set up for it and I like mapping). I don't think I'd enjoy mapping on the phone, unless I had a little 16x16 graph paper pad hanging out nearby...

You shouldn't be too far from the first bug if you are thorough in your explorations. If you wind up in a dark area after climbing back up into a new area of a previously visited floor, make a quick save state in case of a freeze...

I'll take a look at the bugs as soon as I wrap up the Daisenraiku VII stuff I got going on and once the weekend is over. If you see anything else, please post it.

You sir, are my new hero!

This may be a bug, or a strange design decision on the part of Starfish, but I haven't found a way to (internally) save the state of an adventuring party. If they die, or get stoned or paralyzed, the game will save their position and everything about them, but otherwise it won't do any better than saving when they first enter the dungeon, whether I have "save" set to mania or not. It seems a little strange that the designers would build the ability to save adventuring party state in the case of disaster, but won't let the player save while underground. I might also just not be getting the UI, there.

I gave empire 2 a try to see what would happen, and I noticed that the menu (the one with unlock, rescue, etc) in the second game has a "pause" option that lets you save to turn the game off, or jump back up to town to create or assemble another party.

In empire 1 the pause option is missing, but there is room for it in terms of window height...

I've been aspie-ing out on the "pause" issue, and maybe I figured something out... :deadhorse:

Here is an image with the menus from empire 1 and empire 2, both japanese and translated:
sKiiX86

https://imgur.com/a/sKiiX86

Based on trying the empire 2 translation, I know in-dungeon saving is possible via the "pause" menu option. I also can't figure out how to do this in the empire 1 translation, cause there is no "pause" option.

However, looking at the menus side-by-side, there isn't a "pause" available in the original japanese version (at least not on that menu), so i'm thinking that this was some kind of qol addition made on that project or something? It also makes me think there is just some other way to pause the game that I just haven't found...

So, here is the list of possible bugs I've found so far:
Garbled recruitment text for the first recruitable character (Murphy), but the game won't freeze -> I don't have a save state for this one yet, but I can work towards one if helpful.
Two dungeon encounters where there is garbled text and the game freezes (I imagine that these are also recruitment encounters, but can't be sure) -> These are the two save states I linked earlier, and I can reupload them as needed.
Can't natively save the state of an away party, possibly because I just can't figure out how to. There seems to be a special menu addition in empire 2 that this game doesn't have.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Hmm, I think I'm starting to think along with MrRichard999 that it might be either your emulator, or the patching utility you used. I've just got the first recruitment event, although it wasn't Murphy it was
(Laurence on Floor 6?)
and all the text was displayed perfectly. I didn't take a screenshot because I wasn't sure what was going to happen, but he babbled about being left behind and something about his mother, then offered to join me. I was full up so no luck there, but the text was fine.

Also, I have the following in my camp menu:

Dyo6ijS.jpg

A pause button. It all seems 100% on my end so far.

Hmm, I think I'm starting to think along with MrRichard999 that it might be either your emulator, or the patching utility you used
Well, shit. Thanks for the update anyways

I did just figure out the pause issue, and the pause option disappears when save is set to mania. So, no issue there (other than that the autosaving on save->mania doesn't seem great).

As far as recruits go, I didn't find any on level 6... so I should try to find them and see how it behaves on my end. Here are some spoilers about the recruits I had trouble with:
Murphy, on floor 2 behind a secret door - garbled text, but didn't freeze
??? on floor 5, you have to climb up through 6 and navigate some darkness to find this one
??? on floor 8 behind two secret doors near the middle of the map

If any of those works fine for you, or I find Lawrence and it works fine for me, I suppose I've just been crying wolf the entire time...

I was full up so no luck there, but the text was fine
I had the same issue when recruiting Murphy. I don't know what I chose (garbled text), but he wasn't around afterwards. But, I cast detectepic, and realized he was in town, just waiting to be added to a party. Not sure casting had anything to do with it, he might just be waiting for you in town.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom