Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Translations of wapanese games

Duraframe300

Arcane
Well, you could always just cover this mod project:

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14914.0

Bit of a warning about the author. Moogles aren't moogles. Instead "Moguri". Basically he gives no shit about established FF names and goes with the other extreme *EVERYTHING AS THE ORIGINAL IS* (He does seem to give the option now, to use the old names though)

Except of course when it goes against his head-canon. Such as having an immense hatred of cait sith including going out of his way to mod him out

I think he once planned to do an entire replacement of cait sith with his fanfic charachter as according to him *It fits the game as originally intended more*.

At least theres a mod by him out that removes cait sith from all cutscenes.

:hmmm:

So, yeah...........

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
That pretty much almost always happens with re-translations or at least with big titles who have enough fans to stir up this kind of nonsense. You get some crackpot who thinks HIS vision is the absolutely correct one, even so much as to dismiss later games or something.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Correction, I seem to be mistaken about moguri. Though I'm sure it was at some point as such or I'm thinking of a different project there.

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
No, I was correct. It's this one.

Welcome *Moguri*

BICISEM.png

Duraframe300

Arcane
Erring on the literal side is the more conservative form of translation, no?

Not sure what your saying here?

The problem here is that its a name that has been established here for now 20 years and strongly associated with the Final Fantasy franchise (mascot charachters).
If it was just FFVII it would be fine.
This isn't as hard a case to make as japanese translation usually is with all its differences. It's localization IS moogle. Nothing else.

It's especially weird because at the same time he also uses other games in the FFVII compilation as arguments for some changes since Square themselves corrected it. Yet a name which has its brand over the franchise needs to be changed.

All I'm saying is with these posts. I'm sure the translation is better than the original (how could it not. It's fucking awful), but keep in the back of your mind that the guy responsible probably went on quite a few ego trips while writing.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I think he once planned to do an entire replacement of cait sith with his fanfic charachter as according to him *It fits the game as originally intended more*.
Well, I think Farrell/Sutherland/Mustaine would be a fine replacement for Cait Sith. I always envisioned him as a "three-headed monkey" kind of deal and I know Square did too.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Re moogle, sticking with the official localization can be said to be a conservative decision but this position taken to the logical conclusion (that the official localization is Word of God) there's no point to the retranslation. Furthermore, it leads to absurd situations like Ace Attorney that the current batch of localizers (I'm inferring here from interviews) want to retcon but can't because unsaid reasons.

So, it would be completly ok if the retcon was that Phoenix Wright, the charachter, was suddenly called differently after all this time?
(And on that point Phoenix Wright is not even remotly a literal translation either.)

Because those are different things.

TigerKnee

Arcane
The fan-translation of the Phoenix Wright spin-off game Ace Attorney Investigations 2 actually kept their localized names AND gave new characters punny localized names.

Kind of funny when people complain about how stupid the new character names are when hey, it's not like Capcom would have gave them better ones

Avellion

Erudite
It really depends on the dev though. I tend to find fan translations to for some reason have better names than most official translations.

Edit: Though that depends on the dev too. Some devs actually localize their games pretty well.

Last edited:

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
MrRichard999, would you share some infos about King of Kings? It seems cool and I had never heard anything about the game.

uWySOtd.png

Its a turn based Strategy game where you can play against the CPU (Lucifer) or another player. I actually gotta re-upload another patch which fixes the game menus so they are actual words now instead of icons. I posted some videos which shows the gameplay. Its fun if you like these kind of games but it does take a while to beat a stage... :)

Last edited:

Rpgsaurus Rex

Are there any really good untranslated SRPGs? Not asking for FFT level but at least something close - good story, decent AI, interesting combat system etc.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Hm, forgot to specify "untranslated Japanese SRPGs". There are a few mentioned in that thread but most of them seem to be Chinese or Korean, not to mention posters don't actually seem to share their impressions. Also I'm mostly looking for stuff like FFT or LUCT, not really into wargames. Fire Emblem clones are borderline I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
One that looks dope as hell is Bounty Sword, an SNES real-time SRPG that looks pretty similar mechanically to the Growlanser games. It's not an SRPG, but Traverse: Starlight and Prairie is a fully non-linear game with a time system about exploring the world, making choices and generally just stumbling around looking for cool things to do. It also has the best intro I've ever seen in a game, which sort of reads like the designer's mid-life crisis.

getter77

Augur
Bridandine: Grand Edition would fit the bill, and "almost" got a fan translation awhile back---except that the person who did it decided to go on a berserk localization tangent of highly questionable providence in ways that essentially ruined all the work and nobody else has yet to be bothered to fully uncouple(somebody tried, but it broke the dude and sent him into a fugue essentially) all the nonsense from the game itself to "do it right" as otherwise you'd damn near be starting from scratch. :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom