Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Translations of wapanese games

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Nah, It was yet another SEGA fuckup. VC got zero promotion for PS3 and yet due to good reviews and the fanbase that emerged, it eventually sold pretty well (1.17m)

And even so, SEGA didn't want to invest the money to make a PS3 game so they went to PSP and basically killed the franchise.

Some people in that company need to be vaporized. (Binary Domain @#%@^#%@@@#)

TigerKnee

Arcane
There's a fantranslation for 7th Dragon on the DS released. I think some people here are looking forward to this.

http://cavespeak.org/

It's listed under "Etrian Odyssey Retold" as an April Fool joke but trust me, the patch works, just click on the ReadMe. (The joke is that 7D is basically an EO clone I guess)

Ok personal comments but use the the "7th Dragon USA" patch instead of the regular one, which reduces encounter rate and Bloom damage (it's a game mechanic, you'll understand when you play it) by 50%. I know this is the RPGCodex and we all want to be super hardcore and non-popamole and can play Wizardry 4 Ironman with our hands tied behind our backs but seriously, you'll save yourself a lot of annoyance.

Gedeone

Novice
Has anyone tried Dengeki Stryker, is it as good as they hype it to be?

As far as i remember, it was the usual moeshit...and i dont think an extra route will make it better. The superhero parody was meh...to the point i wasnt sure if it was really a parody or not.
To be fair, i didnt play it for long...*shrugs*

More importantly, Ayakashibito's translation is out:

http://tsukiatte.wordpress.com/2014/04/01/ayakashibito-release/

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I went to the localization panel at PAX which had Atlus and NISA. When the NISA woman said she was embarrassed by the stuff she had to translate, I couldn't help thinking, THEN DON'T FUCKING WORK THERE

Another interesting point was about Danganronpa 2. Apparently there's a wordplay puzzle that only makes sense in japanese, so they got Chunsoft to change the solution to suit the english localization.

How much do you want to bet that she was talking about Witch and the Hundred Knights? Glad I didn't pick up that title.

I haven't played any recent NIS titles, but I don't remember most of them being as mean-spirited.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Some game called Chaos Seed for the SNES got a translation.
Released! Chaos Seed Translation Finished at Last!
Finally, after several years of hard work, we here at D-D are happy to announce the release of Chaos Seed! This is a very special game that is so unlike any other; it's part RPG, part SIM, part Adventure, and at times involves a lot of resource management. It's is such a unique experience that I'm quite confident you have never played a game quite like it...
http://www.dynamic-designs.us/

Seems original, at least. Resource management fags might like it.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Dynamic Designs actually has a lot of SNES translations i missed. This looks like a funny mechanic:
taloonscreen10.gif

Ahaha, Feda Emblem of Justice is about furry-human grimdark genocide, have to try this.

Last edited:

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I played FEDA Emblem of Justice years and years ago back when the translation was gibberish so I have no idea what it was about, but it plays like a worse Shining Force. It's okay. It has great character designs.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Feda was great (at least from what I remember). Last I played it was some years ago.

Do we only discuss fan translations in this thread?

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
The dark secret behind the JRPG forum is. . . . . . . . . . . . you can talk about whatever you want wherever you want.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
they're called visual novels you fucking plebeian and they have more complex rpg mechanics and story lines than those pathetic things you call crpgs.
the inclusion of shitting on little girl chests and wacky slice of life shenanigans allows the masterful writers behind these works to tackle deep mature themes that pitiful crpgs are too afraid to touch. i wept for almost an hour when my terminally ill imouto perished shortly after a touching fisting scene, truly profound. games are art, eroges are masterpiece.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Inspired by LundB's astute analysis of the superior craftsmanship of Japanese wordsmiths - DAI-NIPPON BANZAI! OPPAI SUGOI! CHINKO ONDO! PANTSU OWARI NO NAI! -I've decided to provide a short review of Ayakashibito. Why? Because someone liked something very much. And because this is RPG Codex.

P.S. spoilers like hell.

Ayakashibito, as the clever wordplay in the name implies (superior Japanese wordplays at… play!) is all about Ayakashi, which is the general definition of Japanese folklore monsters and gods (yokai), that live above water. Good think it limits itself to that so potential buyers know that there will be no tentacles in this tale… Anyway, so it is a tale about Ayakashi and humans. Or human-hearted yokai.

The backstory explains that in post-WW2 Japan and Germany (axis bros forever!) various humans with supernatural powers started to emerge. Superior strength, ability breathe fire, chicks that really really like dicks. That sort of stuff. Anyways, because of TERRORISM they are discriminated against and forced to live in a single walled city. Or on a secret hospital island where they are embedded with bombs in their bodies, if they’re nasty.

Then we meet our protagonist, Soushichi Kisaragi, who is also one of those superhuman dicks. In his childhood he almost killed a pedophile and inherited his pedo tendencies. His superpower crying. He is also really really, stupidly nice guy. ‘cept when he is being an asshole, but we’ll talk more about this later. Oh and he can attract metal objects, manipulate and reshape them. He can also talk to them, which makes him ever creepier than usual.

The game starts with the protagonist escaping from this hospital/prison island with a mysterious girl who can fight the good fight with the power of her words. Basically she can command humans to do whatever, but the protag forbids her of doing that so most of this 50h VN she will do jack shit. The girl’s name is Suzu, she has the physique and personality of a board. Also 200 years old so playing ball is totally OK and not illegal!

Anyway, our protagonists escape the island and we learn more about them. The girl has been in a human shape for merely a few days, before that she’s been a fox. She’s spent ten years with Soushichi, so they are practically like brother and sister. This deep bond is demonstrated in a heartwarming scene where the protagonist teaches her how to use toilet and pee! Maybe touching her peephole a bit in a totally innocent manner, cuz they totally have no romantic connection or anything.

After stronk character building, they decide to hide in the only city in Japan where superhumans are allowed to live, cuz that’d not be obvious place for their pursuers to look them for. And naturally they start going to highschool, because VN writers obviously need to have stock material. Buying bread! Eating lunchboxes made by GIRLS! Going on the rooftop! Boring classes!

Anyway, things happen and more of the cast is introduced. The protagonists are made to join student council of the school, which also acts as the main cast of the game.

There are four routes in the game, two of them having three different endings. One route for one heroine, as usual.

The best of them is about a student council president who is a man sharing a woman’s soul. Or er two persons sharing one body. Well, fuck if it makes sense, this is Japan! Basically they switch consciousness and also transform between male/female depending on who is in charge. Really heart-warming and sweet, though I was a bit disappointment that there was no gender switch in middle of a sex scene.

The president/president’s sister (Touko) route is the best because the protagonists gets possessed by ancient evil and proceeds to kill all the annoying side characters while contemplating raping all the women he meets. Unfortunately the happy ending comes eventually, but still, a nice demonstration how weak traditional VN/anime/manga/JRPG protagonists are. Switch the protag with the bad guy and it is 200% better.

Then we have a Russian exchange student route, which is kinda amusing. Mainly because it breaks the logic of the game so bad. The protagonist and most of the other characters are absolutely opposed to killing. But in this route’s climax, they kill about forty people. Maybe they’ve been listening to Vaarna_Aarne and don’t consider them humans since they are Russian. Also it is easy to forgive this routes weaknesses since it has a threesome that is followed by this scene:

ayakashibito.jpg

Thirdly we have the mature woman route, featuring Kaoru, the protagonist’s former childhood friend from the island, currently working as antagonist who leads superhuman hunting/killing superhumans. Kaoru also is made highly likeable by showing that she shot the protag in the back and trampled him a bit when he was five years old. But since the protagonist is a dumbfuck, he totally forgives her and falls in love, even despite the fact that she was tasked at killing her and stealing her magic sister for the evil guys.

In Japan it was the least popular route, mainly because Kaoru wasn’t a virgin anymore. Personally have to admit that the fact that she was gangraped for a few years while in the hospital island was a bit of a turn-off for me too.

Kaoru route isn’t all bad, it has the most hilariously placed sex scene in the game. Basically the protagonist has been taken as a hostage and brainwashed, after intense fighting, Kaoru rescues her from the enemy… and they proceed to have sex right then. Only to be joined by one of the antagonists-turned-good-by-power-of-love. Yes, they have a threesome with the former evil girl who switched sides since she fell in love with a good guy. Doesn’t stop her from having wild sex with other people tho. And yes, all this while others are still fighting for their lives in the same building.

Lastly we have the obvious pedo route. It would be the worst, if not for the hilarious final fight. Seriously, worth seeing, here is a small segment:

It may be a bit hard to understand the hilariousness of the above without playing the game, but imagine seeing this as most of the game has focused on normal martial arts battles. There is ultimate final fight, where you’re given the choice of abandoning your humanity for awesome powers. Then ponder for a moment that the alternative route solves the same battle by poking the guy in the eye with a glorified ballpoint pen. Seriously, no transformation, a few lines of text. And happier ending, to boot.

Oh, and in this Suzu route the protagonist shows his true love for the lovely board-girl by having sex with another girl before going off to rescue her for the final time. The sad thing is that the side character he bangs is more likeable and has more personality than then female protagonist…

So that’s Ayakashibito in a nutshell. A protagonist who cries a lot and is absurdly naïve, heroines who all fall for the protagonist because he is so nice, bad guys who like gangbangs, bad guys who like killing, side characters who barely exist in the story. All of this packed into 50+ hours of fully voiced glory.

Still better than 90% of VNs!

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
In all honesty, it thought Ayakakashibito was p. good début work from Propeller, I was hoping they'd do better in future games.

A good case example:

starts
- Ambitious scope, lots of characters
- Potentially interesting setting with a lot of potential
- Main character has interesting gimmick
- A few side characters with a lot of potential

ends up
- Too long, too shallow
- Setting not explored to its potential, too much filler
- Main character too naive and insecure
- Side characters barely explored
- Multiple routes break consistency in characters
- Ridiculously shoehorned sex scenes

I had high hopes for the setting 'till the point where the whole "going to school" part came up. The curse of VN genre: you need "adult" characters who can drink alcohol and have sex, but at the same time they need to be virgins. Seriously, we have a secret russian spy who in one scene is seducing you with sex and in the other is shy virgin about to have sex for the first time. And then in third the same shy virgin has a threesome with another virgin...

Gotta keep those learning points in mind when making the RPG Codex dating sim!

^
Pity brofist.

:roll:

So which is your waifu, spekkio-tan?

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member

Part of me is very curious to see what ridiculous plot gymnastics the overlocalization team is going to perform to turn meiji-era japan into america.

You are assuming that Capcom will actually want to translate it.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Outside of just not localizing the game, at this point I actually think the strategy would be playing up the fact that it IS set in Japan and ride the coattails of Persona 3/4 while simultaneously getting carry-overs from fans of the series already.

Because really, there's no way they're going to re-do everyone sprites and make it into a game about a lawyer in the Wild West or state that it's an alternate universe where Japanese people colonized America instead. It's Capcom a.k.a money grubbers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom