Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Translations of wapanese games

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
How well done was the fan translation of Mother 3?

lightbane

Arcane
You mean, if it's fully playable already? It is, you can find it here: http://mother3.fobby.net/

I don't know wapanese so I can't compare if it's faithful to the original, but I think it's pretty good.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Terpsichore said:
Also recommend me good VNs.

Ever17: Out of Infinity. The only VN I've read, actually, but I think it is pretty good, um, for what it is. For a VN, that is. Yeah.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Terpsichore said:
I want the rest of liar-soft stuff translated.

Also recommend me good VNs.

A
Kara no Shoujo
Saya no Uta
G-Senjou no Maou
Cross†Channel
Fate/Stay Night (+/-)
Ever 17 - Out of Infinity
YU-NO
Higurashi When They Cry (+/-)

B
Chaos;Head (+/-)
Deus Machina Demonbane (+/-)
ef - a fairy tale of the two
Divi-Dead
Desire
Eve: Burst Error
Phantom of Inferno
Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo (+/-)
Crescendo (+/-)

Also a game!
Aselia the Eternal
Sengoku Rance
Melty Blood

Tastes may vary a lot, so it is hard to make recommendations. I left several titles out because I can't wholeheartedly recommend them to average Joe, no matter how excellent they are in their own niche (Bible Black, heh heh)

(+/-) depending on your tolerance for certain anime/manga/etc. clichés.

Look the shit up yourself and see if it works for you. For the more close minded ones, probably only the A-list works. And as with any entertainment, if you start with the good stuff then you'll be forever ruined and won't be able to enjoy the mediocre titles.

http://vndb.org/r?q=;fil=lang-en;s=title;o=a;

Terpsichore

Arcane
Thanks, imma check these.

The only VNs that actually managed to hook me are the translated liar-soft titles (though all the repetition gets aggravating in the end) but they have a nice atmosphere and pacing, writing isn't that bad either.

I'm basically looking for something with a half decent story plus writing, good atmosphere and no desu desu kawaii uguu moe lolis popping up every time there's a dialog.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Jaime Lannister said:
2entj49.jpg

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Terpsichore said:
Thanks, imma check these.

The only VNs that actually managed to hook me are the translated liar-soft titles (though all the repetition gets aggravating in the end) but they have a nice atmosphere and pacing, writing isn't that bad either.

I'm basically looking for something with a half decent story plus writing, good atmosphere and no desu desu kawaii uguu moe lolis popping up every time there's a dialog.

Most nitro+ works have few desu desu kawaii moe lolis, and even if they do it the lolis usually meet a bad end.

Kikokugai and Hanachirasu have both been translated, you might want to check those out.

If you happen to have a taste for Japanese mecha, don't miss out on MuvLuv Alternative. It's like a Hollywood epic, flashy and full of spectacle.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Crooked Bee said:
GeniusOfSappheiros3.png

GeniusOfSappheiros2.png

The game itself can be downloaded here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IK0O3SUH
Then you must apply the 2.00 -> 2.06 patch that you can download here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=THZ1N1IP or directly here: http://www.gensoukyou.org/update/souzin206x.exe
And finally the current version of the translation patch can be found at the bottom of the first post here: http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,10383.0.html

Cheers, I'm off!
GeniusOfSappheiros4.png

Tried downloading this but I'm getting a crc error when I try to unzip it. Redownloaded just in case and had the same problem again. Tried getting it from a different source but the patch didn't work with that version. Any help?

hanssolo

Educated
Black Cat said:
I have just been informed Koumajou Densetsu II has gotten an official translation patch, just like the first one did.

For those who aren't in the know, the Koumajou Densetsu games are Castlevania clones in Touhou's Gensokyo setting. Each game follows the story of an official Touhou game in some measure, though not very closely and adapted to the new medium and style. They also use some danmaku elements in boss fights and elsewhere, which is kind of awesome in a Castlevania clone.

Clicky click here to watch a video of Koumajou Densetsu II Stranger's Requiem. It shows most of the second stage, including the boss fight againt Chen. Though for some reason the video was recorded on easy modo regardless of what Reisen and Tewi have to say about that.

And Frontier Aja's touhou artwork is still awesome:

main.jpg

You can download the english and french language files from here, as well as the patches up to 1.02. The game you can find on your own, hmpf.

goddamnit Black Cat, I didn't read your post properly and jumped at pre-SoTN Castlevania clone. What is this Touhou shit??

EDIT: And pre-SOTN Castlevania was about manly men with whips and gothic horror, not flying magical girls.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
http://www.romhacking.net/news/1174/

Ys Origin english Patch is out!!!

Ys Origin is a Japanese Action RPG released in 2006 for Microsoft Windows by Nihon Falcom. It’s the seventh game in the Ys series but as a prequel, it’s the first in terms of chronology. It’s also the first game in the series not to revolve around the adventures of Adol Christin.

Taking place 700 years before the events of “Ancient Ys Vanished” (Ys I & II), this game tells much of the back-story of Ys, Darm Tower, the Black Pearl, the twin goddesses and the six priests. The game revolves around three characters as they journey through Darm Tower: Yunica Tovah, Hugo Fact and Thor Fact. Each character has their own motives for climbing the tower and playing through with all three characters will reveal the entirety of the events taking place.

The patch translates all the game (texts, graphics and executables) into English. It removes the region check and the Windows Japanese version check. It’s fully playable now. Enjoy it!

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Oh damn, another game to play.

EDIT: Is that patch for the original Ys Origin only or for the Ys Origin Extra Disk as well? Nevermind, that Neogaf thread clears it up.

Ermm

Erudite
Not really wapanese (how can you say it, chapanese????), but there is a translation of ''Swordsman and Fairy'' or ''Legend of Sword and Fairy'' or whatever.

http://chinesepaladin.org/phpBB/viewtop ... f=9&t=1006

Game is actually pretty rare in torrents overall, but I downloaded it on Underground-gamer. Seems like an JRPG with chinese mythology and made by chinese people.

http://english.fairysword.info/project.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2ow3tkbkLY

But more about wapanese, there is a supposed translation being made for this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js4rddrZ ... re=related

Things are going onward with it.....

http://seldane.proboards.com/index.cgi? ... 55&page=10

ZWEI 2 (weird name, huh?) was made by Falcom (company who made Ys series), and strangely is a PC exclusive in Japan (weird lol).

Crooked Bee

Patron
Falcom seem to love their PC exclusives: Ys Origin is one as well. And ZWEI 2 looks cool.
:thumbsup:

On a related note, I've started a Ys Origin LP (the link is in my sig) to show off the newly released English translation, so you can see if you like the way it looks before you decide whether to play it or not.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
treave said:
Guys, the YU-NO translation is out.

what's this about then?

K9p4i.jpg

oh man dat 256 color palette milky white skin and clothing dither effect

and weird ass duotone interface as well

it's like I'm in 1997 again

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
sgc_meltdown said:
treave said:
Guys, the YU-NO translation is out.

what's this about then?

oh man dat 256 color palette milky white skin and clothing dither effect

and weird ass duotone interface as well

it's like I'm in 1997 again

Us hardcore wapanese look upon it as fondly as the average Codexer does stuff like Ultima 7 and Wizardry. This was from a time before all VNs came to have only four choices throughout the entire goddamn game.

Game wise... uh... it's like a hentai Day of the Tentacle except with parallel universes instead of different time periods?

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Haba said:
YU-NO is a 10/10. They don't make them like this any more.
Time to put on my wapanese hat and start downloading. Ye-ha!

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
WhiskeyWolf said:
Haba said:
YU-NO is a 10/10. They don't make them like this any more.
Time to put on my wapanese hat and start downloading. Ye-ha!
Ok, what the fuck?

The game is constructed from three parts:
- prolog
- main (the part you actually can call a game)
- ???epilogue???

The first part was quite long with the with the "click option to move, click option to look etc" kind of gameplay. It was long and quite boring but I endured through. Then we entered the main game, which is a lot better, the gameplay changes to "click mouse on stuff and to move etc" and shit starts to hit the fan. A lot of strange shit.

But anyway, the third part. Holy shit! Seriously, instead of explaining ANYTHING the game shifts back the previous gameplay mechanics and we enter a story that is almost unrelated to the stuff happening previously. But fuck that, did I mention how incredibly pretentious it becomes... and it's looong. It was so bad I just said "fuck it" and deleted it altogether. It's like the devs decided to take a dump on the keyboard after doing a quite decent job.

Saying that, the "sudoku in base 12" riddle in the end of Mio path was top-notch, lost 3 hours on that fucker :thumbsup:

Got 98% cleared.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I'm guessing the game ends after you collect all 6 gems? I got bored after being warped back to the beginning each time after finishing two different routes.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
abnaxus said:
I got bored after being warped back to the beginning each time after finishing two different routes.
Eh? Dude, that's the point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom