Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Immersion vs Numbers: Do numbers break immersion?

obediah

Erudite
I haven't read this, but I'll bet a testicle that after being filtered for bullshit it reads:

"blah, blah, blah, console gamers don't like numbers. Also, if we show numbers, we actually have to write the code to use them and balance the gameplay. If we insist they are just hidden, we can make up whatever level of the complexity we want. 'Oh yes, under the hood it is very complex, we use more variables and stats than anything else, evar!"

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Seriously, numbers/no numbers has never affected my "immersion" levels either way.

But Bioware, I'll tell you what does. Bad dialogue and lousy choices tend to break my experience pretty badly, I'd suggest you spend more time on that, and not worry so much about trivialities.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm cool with "no numbers" as long as the system feels natural and intuitive.
I'd love to say I played a game where I didn't know the exact formula but felt confident that spell x did awesome damage or that I had a good sense that my stats mattered.
In reality, I often worry about that and can't tell if ten points in strength make a difference of if that spell is effective unless I know the exact formulas.

Of course, if you have distrinctive features with clear effects that isn't an issue. I mean, I don't believe I ever wondered if the fire column worked well in Populous 2. Of course it did!
Maybe if RPGs weren't full of characters that can take a dozen shots to the head and walk through a meteor shower, people wouldn't worry about numbers so much.

Callaxes

Arbiter
laclongquan said:
Now Patrician III, that is hardcore. You play as a merchant prince wannabe in the Hanseatic league of fame and antiquity, with that world as an oyster on a platter, just waiting to be devoured. You can sell/buy dozen kinds of goods which is basic. You can build dozen industries to self-supply goods with low price, which is intermediate... you undercut prices of other merchants, you corner dozen markets of goods in dozen towns, you monopoly the source of building materials in the whole Hanse so that you could rebuild those towns in your image, now that is advance and hardcore. The fact that you could play pirates to limit other merchants' ability to supply the market is just nearly an afterthought (though an welldone afterthought it is).

Patrician 2 is my favorite game I think. It's up there with Alpha Centauri, Jagged Alliance 2, Thief and Homeworld. Now although Patrician 3 is better then 2, I have a slight disliking for it, because Ascalon forgot to make an actual motherfucking sequel

Disconnected

Scholar
He could just take the Fallout approach and do both: "You critically hit the raider in the head for 15 points of damage, blowing off his left ear and half his face. The raider is badly hurt and pist off."

Evocative, precise and not exactly rocket science. Sometimes I wish developers would spend some time playing games. I get that nobody's capable of coming up with every last good idea everyone else has had in the history of gaming, but they don't have to. The ideas are free for the taking.

laclongquan

Arcane
yeah, as my favourite authors like to say: "Good authors borrow but great authors steal". Good ideas are abound, simply wait for the taking. If you cant think of anything , just go reading.

As a reader, I always get amused when people complain about the lack of good ideas. Good ideas are cheap. Committing them to reality, now that is expensive, and hard.

I just ordered Patrician 3, thanks for the tip guys. Great use for a spanking new gaming rig, 2D-strategy games (while others play Wii or Rock Band as party games, the last time we played Steel Panthers MBT hotseat).

Like the others said, I can't really see a reason to hide the numbers and rules of the game. I just get pissed when I get a new weapon in a game, described to be awesome but in fact doing 50% less damage than my older weapon, or something like that.

I can't understand why would it be either-or approach, anyway. If I hit a guy's face with my sword, and he loses 10 hitpoints, it's good to know, but also it would be okay if he got a gaping wound. The latter's only graphics, though, but I think that's exactly what those people who argue against numbers really want. Oh, and of course I'd like a fucking item description with the numbers, Mass Effect was really horrible in this regard. It's items reminded me more of Space Empires than a good RPG.

You could want such realism that damage is only handled by some really complex physics engine, but I don't think that would suit RPG's really well. Where would be the character progression, then? I'd say that'd be mostly gimmicky even in most action games.

Bottom line : obfuscating the game rules isn't fun, and having graphical effects for those rules isn't important, but wouldn't hurt either.

There's been a SECOND sequel to The Patrician? I remember playing the original as if it were just yesterday when I booted that up. Oh, according to moby it's just the add-on to Patrician 2 marketed as full-blown sequel outside of Germany, apparently.

laclongquan said:
?! When I say I dont like sport management I mean it's not hardcore enough.

Well, unless that was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek: FM can be played as hardcore as you like to. There are no limits. A single match day can take you well over an hour, as SI's match engine simulate the full 90 minutes of the sports. And everything else can be approached in similar in-depth fashion: it doesn't get any more hardcore than scouting a player in India's second division during a live-match, setting up individual training schedules for every man in your squad each, and developing relationships with managers from all over the world. Not that you're forced to do. What you make of the game is wholly up to you.

Warden

Arbiter
obediah said:
I haven't read this, but I'll bet a testicle that after being filtered for bullshit it reads:

"blah, blah, blah, console gamers don't like numbers. Also, if we show numbers, we actually have to write the code to use them and balance the gameplay. If we insist they are just hidden, we can make up whatever level of the complexity we want. 'Oh yes, under the hood it is very complex, we use more variables and stats than anything else, evar!"

I wanted to say this exactly. They're "preparing" the market for their DA.. They've stated several times that you WON'T be able to read all the calculations involved in combat as a "single hit calculation outcome would need SO MUCH TEXT". Yeah right, those shitheads.. Whenever I think of them I have the sudden urge to vomit.

laclongquan

Arcane
yeah, well, I intended to tease the previous poster abit... didnt know if my tongue-in-check was a bit too subtle

I can play hardcore but sports hold no attraction to me now. So I play a medic Hammer&Sickle, captain-of-industries Patrician, but stay away from sportmanagement games.

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
The whole article is along the lines: "Text is not immershun. Dialog in text is bad. See Mass Effect. Nao we gonna dumb down the stats."

While it is true in the real world. Gaming is far far far away from the real world. Though Mass Effect had some good moments in dialog.

Mr. Wednesday

Scholar
I think the newest game I own is either Morrowind or NWN1, I'm not sure which came first. If you guys hate new games so much, why buy them?

DraQ

Arcane
Like most of the Codex lately, this thread reeks of dumbfuckery. The few individuals not in dire need of being smitten with Cluebringer +3, +5 against stupid who have posted here, sadly, can't change that.

First things first - computer games, including cRPGs, use numbers in two ways:
First is their internal mechanics - the numbers are being ground to make the gameworld behave properly and react to player's input.
Second is player-game interface.

Apart from PnP emulators and some dungeon-crawls with their tables filled with delicious math-pr0n, those two parts are or can be completely separated from each other.
This is where cries of "simplificashun!1" emitted by the noticeably confused part of the Codex fall flat on their face:
The issue here is not simplification of the rules somehow caused by moving them from dashboard under the hood - the actual number grinding is way more intense and complex in those new games.
The issue here is not the immersion, as much as we hate it's use as a buzzword meaning roughly "more bloom and outrageous hardware requirements".
The issue here is retard proofing facilitated by simplification of RPG mechanics that is being kept separate from the underlying, under the hood mechanics of the game.
It would, most certainly, be possible to retard-proof Fallout without adding even a touch of "immershun" and let me assure, the result, despite it's old-school look, would be no less of a horrible monstrosity than most modern so-called cRPGs are.
Hell, setting aside the fact that it was the first IE game produced, BG1 looks exactly like bethesdified (though mostly in story/setting layer) version of PS:T (quite a horrid sight, to be frank), even though it's noticeably deprived of "immershun", even compared to PS:T.

Having concluded, that that moving numbers under the hood isn't causally related with dumbing down, we need to ask whether moving them under the hood is beneficial, and how to accomplish that.

The benefits of moving the numbers under the hood are threefold:

First, it allows for more complex mechanics. Yes, you've read it right - not "dumbing down" but rather a potential for "smarting up". In PnP RPGs the numbers had to be human-manageable - this is a simple, indisputable fact. This led to a great deal of simplification and very abstracted gameplay. The computing power offered by modern machine, as well as the divorce of number-grinding and human interface offers some cool new opportunities. For example, everything, from to-hit chances, to weapon damage in PnP games was determined by die rolls and a bunch of tables, now, how about replacing it with fairly accurate and detailed simulation of combat using game's physical engine? A bunch of nerds with die, tables and character sheets couldn't handle the math involved, but your computer can. Of course there are some pitfalls here, for example, character's skill, whether it's quantifiable, determined by a list of abilities, or some of both, has to be simulated, rather than abstracted as well, else you'll get Oblivion, but you'll have to admit that an RPG relying on physical engine rather than tables for most of the stuff, including combat, can be quite appealing. Not only would it add a lot of detail to the game - for example weapons and armour with similar numerical representations in a PnP game could be very different in such physical RPGs, with all their pointy bits and materials actually modelled - it would also greatly increase the interactivity of the environment - rather than relying on scripted solution the game will allow you to simply do stuff effectively limited only by your creativity and inventiveness. Time saved on meticulously scripting every solution player may try might be spent on polishing the character's, their interactivity and dialogue - the parts that can't be simulated adequately, apart from simple combat AI and pathfinding.

Second lets this mechanics be tightly integrated with game's engine - slapping an RPG on top of, for example, FPS, while workable, isn't exactly what you'd call an elegant solution and hardly a seamless experience. WYSIWYG mechanics of our hypothetical integrated cRPG looks much more appealing. It would also save the player much confusion "In real life I'd <do_this_and_this>, but this is only a game so I probably can't and have to do <another_thing>..." - once he got a hang of this WYSIWYG mechanics.

Third, it would help immersion. Yes, I'll go there. As much as I'd love, for example Wizardry 9, as much as I had fun with screens filled with delightful number-pr0n in some games, I can't help but say: numbers are unimmersive. Now, they are hundreds of orders of magnitude less unimmersive than shoddy world building, retarded dialogue and characters, excessive level scaling, gaping plot-holes and other plagues of game design, but they are still the antagonists here. Of course, some subgenres, namely PnP emulators and retro dungeon-crawls simply have to pay the price as numbers are their lifeblood and depriving RPG gamers of those, potentially insanely fun games would be wrong, but other cRPGs can do without numbers.
If you're still not convinced about the unimmersiveness of the numbers imagine a novel. This novel is available in two versions - one is written 'normally', the other one makes copious references to +1 weapons, to hit rolls and hit points. Which of those would you rather read and which would you consider more immersive (as in "allowing for more suspension of disbelief")?
Of course, as the interface of a cRPG game is largely made of numbers, it would require dramatic re-design, but it's hardly a caveat here - there plenty of ways to convey information, and when "show, don't tell" fails there is always text. While lacking bloom and other features buzzword-mongers would like you to believe are necessary for immersion, text is actually quite an immersive medium if judged by it's potential for inducing suspension of disbelief (as many an avid reader would testify), it also has a long tradition of being effectively employed in cRPGs. What game can't show directly (for example how well balanced is the sword your character is holding) it can describe. Descriptions can vary in level of detail according to character's abilities. For full effect, audio-visual representations can be varied as well. For example, thanks for the ingenious invention known as decal textures it'd be possible to hide tell-tale blood spots on the ground or severe wear marks on his "new sword in pristine condition" from an unperceptive character. The possibilities are endless!

P.S. I haven't read the article because I couldn't be arsed. Nyah! :P

P.S.2. The second page seems mostly devoid of "waaah! simplificashun1!" whiners, kudos for that.

kris

Arcane
I don't need numbers really, I just need good enough indication on what gives what. If given a bronze sword and a steel sword I know which one is better, I don't need a damage rate for them. For people that don't know that, a bried description of the items suffice.

Warden

Arbiter
DraQ,
I like being able to see ALL the calculations involved in every to hit and whatnot equation. They surely won't decide what breaks immersion for me (nor will you) - so I want to be able to turn the option "show all calculations" ON.. even if that means, wow, 1 whole line of text.

hiver

Rather smart and well worded post by DraQ. I can only agree.

Sadly, today we have a problem of getting even a decent RPG done in old ways, any ways... so what you are proposing will be viewed by many even here where everything is theoretical as pure science fiction with big emphasis on fantasy.

Your ideas would especially work well within turn based, character driven RPGs.

DraQ

Arcane
Warden said:
DraQ,
I like being able to see ALL the calculations involved in every to hit and whatnot equation. They surely won't decide what breaks immersion for me (nor will you) - so I want to be able to turn the option "show all calculations" ON.. even if that means, wow, 1 whole line of text.
*wallofnumbersbeinggroundbythephysicsengine*

Yay! I see mah to hit rolls... wut?

P.S.
Redding is teh hard.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Numbers don't affect immersion badly per se.

They just make it harder for the average player to be immersed, as it simply takes more brain and imagination to "see" something in them.

hiver

DraQ if i ever score a few million dollars you and me will have a talk. :cool:

but you'll have to admit that an RPG relying on physical engine rather than tables for most of the stuff, including combat, can be quite appealing.
Yes, very but a part of the problem is underlying physics engine and how flexible it would be to accommodate so many variables in different settings that would require maybe even slightly different conditions.
Or am i wrong? Supporting for example weapon qualities that would serve as controlling and calculating properties for the engine itself.
Simulating materials, their condition, weight and behaviour when moving and interacting with great number of other different materials, armors or weapons.

How would magic work? You can keep most of it as fanciful lightning effects, shaders... however the effects of magic are done currently. flinging magic missiles, lightning and so on.
But if you have an advanced magic system as a wish, one that could interact with materials, influence water or rock itself, enemies weapons and so on... things could get complicated a lot.

How good, in this sense, are todays physics engines and how far from one who could serve for this idea?

It would also save the player much confusion "In real life I'd <do_this_and_this>, but this is only a game so I probably can't and have to do <another_thing>..." - once he got a hang of this WYSIWYG mechanics.
Yes, thank you. Let me climb over those damn fences already, or be able to jump over a ditch - not be forced to go around it.
Climb that tree and shoot down (with arrows) some wolves chasing me there. Wire some explosives over the correct support pillars and take down the whole house with raiders in.
I could keep on and on about it.
And this as a very least it could do.

Of course, as the interface of a cRPG game is largely made of numbers, it would require dramatic re-design, but it's hardly a caveat here - there plenty of ways to convey information, and when "show, don't tell" fails there is always text.
Descriptions = an integral part of excellent gameplay. Not only can they be helpful, but funny, interesting when you least expect them to, they can advance the plot or a situation beyond anything grephikz can do and do it quickly in a few well places sentences.
They can give you a whole another layer of lore, information, knowledge and atmosphere enhancement. Even a channel for the devs to communicate to the player. (Ever clicked on a tree or a stone in Fallout 50 or so times? :) )

DraQ

Arcane
hiver said:
Rather smart and well worded post by DraQ. I can only agree.
Thanks! :)

Sadly, today we have a problem of getting even a decent RPG done in old ways, any ways... so what you are proposing will be viewed by many even here where everything is theoretical as pure science fiction with big emphasis on fantasy.
Well, I think such an RPG would stand a better chance on current gaming market. It would be less abstracted, able to look quite spectacular and would use physics engine for almost everything. Of course it wouldn't sway nextgentards who would complain loudly about not knowing what to do or the game being too hard, but there are non-RPG gamers who have potential to be interested in a good RPG, but, having grown on oblibians and such, would be put off by the abstracted nature of an old-school cRPG before having a chance to appreciate it's story, interactivity and so on.

Setting aside it's not-bad-but-not-particularly-impressive mechanics, The Witcher shows that there still is a market for games with good plot, lots of text and ample C&C, provided they are sufficiently spectacular.

Your ideas would especially work well within turn based, character driven RPGs.
I don't think such a game should be turn based. TB is a highly abstracted system and, while it works well in old school dungeon crawls (forming part of their unique atmosphere) and PnP simulators (being simply part of the simulation of PnP rules), marrying such system with a highly simulationistic mechanics strikes me as odd and unnatural.

I'd see such an RPG as either direct-input (as in you control the character directly) real time game where you commence an action, but it's the character that executes it (single character with or without AI controlled followers), or indirectly controlled (point and click) RTWP game, the pause system, however, would have to be really well done, with optional automatic interrupts for everything that might call for player's reaction - this would essentially make it work like TB, albeit with more control (for example the game wouldn't need rules for attacks of opportunity, because it would simply pause and ask player what to do) and without time being artificially divided into discrete units known as turns. This mechanics would work for any type of game, be it single character, or party based.

Combinations of the above (like RTWP wizardry-style game, or a game featuring both, direct RT and indirect RTWP mode) might also be viable.

hiver said:
but you'll have to admit that an RPG relying on physical engine rather than tables for most of the stuff, including combat, can be quite appealing.
Yes, very but a part of the problem is underlying physics engine and how flexible it would be to accommodate so many variables in different settings that would require maybe even slightly different conditions.
Or am i wrong? Supporting for example weapon qualities that would serve as controlling and calculating properties for the engine itself.
Simulating materials, their condition, weight and behaviour when moving and interacting with great number of other different materials, armors or weapons.
I think that, as a proof of concept, you might wish to check this game.
It's a 2D, side scrolling, and somewhat mindless game resembling Worms, Soldat or Liero, the thing is that it extensively uses physics engine, which, albeit much simpler than what would be necessary for the RPG we are discussing (except that our RPG wouldn't need such a fine-grained simulation of the terrain, making it much more feasible in 3D) handles most of the things happening in game.

How would magic work? You can keep most of it as fanciful lightning effects, shaders... however the effects of magic are done currently. flinging magic missiles, lightning and so on.
But if you have an advanced magic system as a wish, one that could interact with materials, influence water or rock itself, enemies weapons and so on... things could get complicated a lot.
Some time ago, some bright soul on the Codex proposed flexible magic/spellcraft system making use of effects, modifiers and formulas, with formulas being able to accommodate strings of effects and modifiers. I've been pondering it recently, and came to the conclusion that it might make quite a lot of sense.
The spellcraft interface in game would basically be a frontend for a scripting language that would create desired effects from basic components. Formulas would work as templates prohibiting nonsense combinations and an element of mechanics making spellcraft more involved (researching/finding/buying formulas). With such system you'd be able to, for example, take the fire of given magnitude (temperature), and craft into a projectile with desired parameters (big, small, cohesive, floaty, dropping, fast, slow, exploding, piercing, etc, homing, dumb, etc.) a number of projectiles fired in a pattern, protective shell, continuous stream, floaty firecloud or napalm that falls down and sticks to things. Hell, you might even be able to create elemental construct (an NPC made of specified material and with predefined properties and preset AI).

Ice, for example wouldn't be difficult to do. Upon hitting water, freezing projectile would transform part of the water's volume (meaning the block will cut-off upon encountering a boundry of vater volume - no igloo out of droplet) into buoyant block of ice that would, based on environment's temperature variable gradually shrink and disappear. When struck hard enough it would shatter into shards with similar properties. I think it might be doable even under Unreal (1998) engine, without direct access to the source code (only using editor), so doing it today, with a well written engine you can freely modify should be trivial in comparison.

How good, in this sense, are todays physics engines and how far from one who could serve for this idea?
Not good enough, but not that far either. In most modern FPS games objects tend to have quite a lot physical properties, some objects can also be destroyed in a variety of ways, gibing into other objects, there also were FPS games with fully deformable terrain (Red Faction) - making, for example, every tree destructible, then cutting one of them down in game and dropping it across some chasm would be perfectly doable even today. Add some dynamic pathing for the AI, so it would acknowledge the newly formed bridge, and voilà!

It would also save the player much confusion "In real life I'd <do_this_and_this>, but this is only a game so I probably can't and have to do <another_thing>..." - once he got a hang of this WYSIWYG mechanics.
Yes, thank you. Let me climb over those damn fences already, or be able to jump over a ditch - not be forced to go around it.
Climb that tree and shoot down (with arrows) some wolves chasing me there. Wire some explosives over the correct support pillars and take down the whole house with raiders in.
I could keep on and on about it.
And this as a very least it could do.
Yess!

Of course, as the interface of a cRPG game is largely made of numbers, it would require dramatic re-design, but it's hardly a caveat here - there plenty of ways to convey information, and when "show, don't tell" fails there is always text.
Descriptions = an integral part of excellent gameplay. Not only can they be helpful, but funny, interesting when you least expect them to, they can advance the plot or a situation beyond anything grephikz can do and do it quickly in a few well places sentences.
They can give you a whole another layer of lore, information, knowledge and atmosphere enhancement. Even a channel for the devs to communicate to the player.
Indeed, GFX shouldn't supersede text, but complement it.

(Ever clicked on a tree or a stone in Fallout 50 or so times? :) )
I'm going to 'obtain' a copy of FO3 soon. It's more than likely that it'll disappoint me to a certain degree making me develop craving for replaying FO1/FO2. Then I'll click like mad.

Rhalle

Magister
RPGs aren't just about stories, and they were never about imitating movies or becoming a substitute for LARPing; the math is the yang to the story's yin.

This is why modern RPGs are teh gay; they've abandoned the man-brain-appealing number crunching and strategizing for a overly femenine story-play-time that cynically includes falsely-man-brain-appealing hack and slash.

The modern RPG that hides its maths and/or reduces them to fourth-grade level is an affront to man-brain everywhere, and must be stopped, within our lifetimes, before it kills somebody.

goatvomit

Eau de Rapax
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
SpaceKungFuMan said:
Diablo is a game that is about nothing but numbers. People seem to like it.

Sacred series took it even further. Nothing but autospawning hordes of dumb enemies. It almost feels like playing gauntlet again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom