Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

God, how I missed Oblivion

Naraya

Arcane
Started a new playthrough just yesterday. God, how I missed this game. This time I'm using MOO for the first time and it's shaping up to be a great experience already!

I know I'm in the minority for liking Oblivion but reading on the main issues people have with this game, I realized that most of them (the issues, not the people) can be easily fixed with mods (I mean stuff like levelling, difficulty etc.). Maybe that's why I love Oblivion so much? Because I've never played it in vanilla state - always using either OOO or other conversions...

Anyway, off to Cyrodiil!

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can we just make a haveyoucomeseekingthelight.gif in response to Oblivion praise, realretarded or otherwise?

nikolokolus

Arcane
The graphics were good for their time.
pYoQVVz.jpg

Last edited:

Zibniyat

Arcane
Yeah, Oblivion was great. I still get shivers when I hear some music compositions from it (thank you Jeremy Soule). Of course, it goes without saying, there's little appeal in playing the game without mods.

And with MOO (or OOO, many unforgettable moments there), Better Cities, Unique Landscapes, and a plethora of other mods - a great game. And a terrible RPG...

I completely understand the hate, after all I consider Morrowind superior (as an RPG as well as a game overall), but I guess since Oblivion was my first open-world game, and I was 10 years younger, I just can't really hate it, despite its so many obvious flaws. It had a certain charm, shallow perhaps, but it was still there. Something about entering the Market District and hearing countless voices (with Better Cities and other mods!) all chattering some sort of inanities, simply makes/made it endearing... After all, 10 years of additional life experience has taught me that most humans' small talk isn't really much above the level of such random NPCs' chatter...

And to think, that instead of actually expanding and making it more complex (i.e. "returning" to Morrowind and building upon it, not erroding it even more), Bethesda shat a turd named Skyrim... a game so obviously below the level of Oblivon (and we shouldn't even mention Morrowind in the same sentence as Skyrim), and with so much lore and potential discarded to rubish bin... made me lose all faith in game developers, and made me realise that many good designers get to have their 1 best shot, and after that it is only continuous decline.

Meh, lately I've been thinking about getting into Oblivion again, but only in small doses of course, I've no more time nor patience (or will) for any serious investement. Mods, mods indeed fixed it, at least to the level of "action game with light RPG elements".

Did I just write a wall of text praising Oblivion? I'll pack my stuff and leave now...

I too miss Oblivion. I had some truly memorable experiences in that game. One time I ran into some bandits and since it was near a town, the guards ran over to help me. Then the guard shot the other guard in the back with an arrow, at which point the guards started fighting each other. Then I accidentally hit one of the guards while trying to hit a bandit, and that guard turned on me. I was too weak to fight him, so I ran from him into town. We were like a caravan, the first guard chasing me, the other guard chasing him, the bandits chasing the guards. All that was missing was circus music. Good times.

Keye_

Educated
I completely understand the hate, after all I consider Morrowind superior (as an RPG as well as a game overall), but I guess since Oblivion was my first open-world game, and I was 10 years younger, I just can't really hate it, despite its so many obvious flaws. It had a certain charm, shallow perhaps, but it was still there.
Very well worded, I share the sentiment.

Anyone here played Nehrim by SureAI? I've played a couple of hours of it and it been pretty good.

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
Downies can be heroes too. Ableist scum.

Not only can they be heroes, but they can be the best heroes when it comes to Bethesda games, because they have a natural resistance to the boredom that others might find in repeatedly performing poorly-written, mundane fetch quests in a world filled with vapid characters. Anyone can be a hero in a Bethesda game, because no skill or strategy is involved. Simply spam the attack button and the occasional potions and just keep following your questmarker like a moth to the flame, and you'll win the prize.

393975645_099b51cbc7.jpg

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Started a new playthrough just yesterday. God, how I missed this game. This time I'm using MOO for the first time and it's shaping up to be a great experience already!

I know I'm in the minority for liking Oblivion but reading on the main issues people have with this game, I realized that most of them (the issues, not the people) can be easily fixed with mods (I mean stuff like levelling, difficulty etc.). Maybe that's why I love Oblivion so much? Because I've never played it in vanilla state - always using either OOO or other conversions...

Anyway, off to Cyrodiil!

In my opinion every game has to be judged on it's own without mods (but can include expansions of course). If a game sucks before fan created content then the game sucks, period.

I, personally, dislike Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim. I liked Daggerfall because at the time it had some neat mechanics, even though the missions and combat were very grindy. It had awesome character creation. Morrowind improved on nothing meaningful to me. The combat was just as shitty, the spell system was scaled down, character development was gutted, but it had tons of voiceovers and fancy graphics so everyone loved it. Oblivion became more rpg-lite with the same shit combat. Skyrim the same. I did enjoy Skyrim with the Enderal mod - that team did a great job.

If you notice people who are more console fans that rpg fans do not mind games with absolutely shit combat. That is how it goes for them. Give them something aimed at stupid people as long as it has the graphics or the hipster hype and they fucking lap that shit up. The same goes for FO3 and NV. I haven't tried 4 yet (I wait until the GOTY edition is on sale for 10 bucks that way there are some total conversion mods ready to go and make the shitty game playable). I need more than shit. I need to be engaged. I need my character and combat to involve and throw new shit at me and not get repetitive. Strong attack over and over and over or shock or fire or arrow over and over and over doesn't do it for me. I like to hit keys that do something. Console games don't include this because controllers are for fucking retards and children and are very limiting.

If you noticed I didn't include ME above. That is because it is my guilty pleasure. I fucking love it. Mechanically it is shit, but it is the only console game that clicks with me and I can put up with a challengless and shit mechanics for children. I think because it does well separating the things to do. The combat missions aren't too long, the ship talking circuit isn't too long, city areas aren't too big, and there is the ship upgrades too.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Oblivion's art direction for its time was insane though. Yes it was a generic medieval JRR Tolkien fantasy world, but it was a really cool one and leaving the initial dungeon to Jeremy Soule music was the most amazing feels and I really appreciate it for that. Also the story mods, and Shivering Isles christ there are some real tryhard aspiring game developers making good shit for Bethesda's terrible engine.

Definitely enjoyed it much more than Skyrim overall, combat was slightly better because spell slinging with custom spells was actually still around, but that might just be age and nostalgia talking.

Lycra Suit

Prophet
Possibly Retarded
Purely hating Oblivion because it wasn't what you wanted is just as bad as praising it for what it is not.
Oblivion and Skyrim are fantasy tourism experiences. And in that regard I prefer Oblivion to Skyrim, purely based on personal preferences and I don't think less of people who would pick one over the other. I suspect Morrowind would have been just as casual if they didn't need to compensate for the poor graphics at the time with more text and a certain sophistication in what they could easily work with.

It goes without saying that these aren't the kind of games that are worthy of being discussed online in the first place, or at all beyond recounting a few notable experiences to friends who play it as well. Simply because there is nothing worth discussing or wasting time thinking about. Like Nintendo games or smoking a cigg. You pop the game in the system every once in a while to have some mindless fun and leave it behind when you're done with it.

Krivol

Magister
Main issues with Oblivion are stupid plot, stupid NPC's and level of writing. Oh, and filler dungeons. If tou have a mod to fix that, please be so kind and send me a link.

TBH - emperor is an idiot (I will give the most important amulet on the world to person I saw in my dreams because I am 87 years old grandpa with dementia), his guards are idiots (so, you got this amulet from 87 years old emperor with dementia because he saw you in his dreams? ok, this is fine) and whole main plot is just stupid.

And usual stuff for TES games - I just met you, but you looks so nice... I will tell you the biggest secret I have. You are looking for grey wolf? You just gave me 14 gp, so I think I can trust you enough.

WHY FUCKING GUARDS DID NOT TRY THIS? ASKING PEOPLE ON THE STREET?

Fuck! It took me 5 minutes to get to thieves guild. Imersiun my ass!

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I can't help it, but I enjoyed the game when I totally disregarded the retarded Main Quest, installed OOO and lots of other mods, and enjoyed the unpredictability resulting from the Radiant AI.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Oblivion was a living proof how low can a franchise fall.
Of course now EABioware is working hard to outdo Bethesda at this "achievement" with their franchises.

Falksi

Arcane
There's fun to be had in Oblivion; it's just very predictable, bland, repetitive fun which becomes old fast.
The level scaling, cookie cutter dungeons and places if interest already being on the map/compass really kills everything.

Like Skyrim it lacks any real depth or soul, and I found it more of a slog then anything else.

Still way better than Fallout 4.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom