Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Feargus Urquhart confirms Pillars of Eternity 2 in development, plus a new Cain/Boyarsky game

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Feargus Urquhart; Leonard Boyarsky; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire; Tim Cain

Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart gave a talk at the Digital Dragons convention in Krakow, Poland today. The folks at Polish gaming site Gamepressure.com took the opportunity to interview him there, and what they discovered may be more interesting than anything he said in his talk. Feargus has not only confirmed the long-held suspicion that Pillars of Eternity 2 is already in development, but hinted at a new game from Tim Cain and the newly hired Leonard Boyarsky as well. I quote:

During the Digital Dragons 2016 conference that is happening now in Kraków, we got a chance to meet amazing developers from all around the world. We also sat down with Feargus Urquhart, the CEO of Obsidian Entertainment, known for his work on Fallout series, Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale or the critically acclaimed Pillars of Eternity. Obsidian also has another project in development – Tyranny – but Feargus said that they’re not ready to talk about it in more detail. However, during our interview with Obsidian’s CEO, we found out that the studio is already working on Pillars of Eternity II.

We were talking about the general idea of crowdfunding Obsidian’s games, Feargus said that they thought about crowdfunding Tyranny, but decided to do it on their own. However, they’re most probably going to turn to Kickstarter to crowdfund Pillars of Eternity II, and that’s when Feargus shared what they’re currently involved on:

Obviously, as you’ve probably guessed, we’re starting to move forward on [Pillars of] Eternity II. That is probably something that we want to look at [in terms of crowdfunding]. I think people felt like we delivered on our promise, and then that felt like we could go with Eternity II and people would support us again, because they trust us.​

When we asked him about an official announcement of Pillars of Eternity II, that’s what he had to say:

Eternity II is not announced, [but] it seems silly for me not to acknowledge it, though. If someone asks “Are you working on it?”, I respond “Well, wouldn’t you work on it?”. So then they say “So you must be working on it”, and then I’m like “Well, yeah”.​

That second quote came up when we were talking to Feargus about everything that Obsidian is currently involved in. There’s Armored Warfare, Tyranny, the card game Pathfinder, and Pillars of Eternity II. However, Obsidian’s CEO also mentioned that there’s a small group of people within the studio that’s working on something completely new, but he didn’t want to share any details regarding that yet. What’s worth noting, though, is that the names of Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky came up while talking about this. Feargus didn’t say that directly, but he pointed that it might have something to do with a prototype using Unreal Engine, that he mentioned during his podcast with Game Informer.
Bloodlines 2? Your guess is as good as mine. In any case, this is exciting news - the next stage in the evolution of Nu-Obsidian is beginning. Gamepressure will be posting the full transcript of their interview with Feargus later on, and hopefully it won't be long before the video of his Digital Dragons talk is available as well.

Athelas

Arcane
Eternity II is not announced, [but] it seems silly for me not to acknowledge it, though. If someone asks “Are you working on it?”, I respond “Well, wouldn’t you work on it?”. So then they say “So you must be working on it”, and then I’m like “Well, yeah”.
That's so Feargus.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Note that Gamepressure say "Kickstarter" but Feargus just says "crowdfunding". They're probably making an incorrect assumption, but we'll have to see the full interview to be sure.

Ninjerk

Arcane
:gangster:
(need one for Leonard)

0ffadbfdc96c2b33f97afbbb634cf9e7.png

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I hope the new Cain/Boyarsky game is literally "something completely new" with their own setting rather than based on existing IP.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
We were talking about the general idea of crowdfunding Obsidian’s games, Feargus said that they thought about crowdfunding Tyranny, but decided to do it on their own.
So...are they completely funding it out of pocket? Or does it have a publisher? I didn't pay too much attention when it was first announced.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Bloodlines 2? Your guess is as good as mine.

Even if it is not Bloodlines 2... Tim and Leon both working on it are still very exciting news. It could be even a turn-based postapocaliptyc game, like that game they were playing together! But this is perhaps too much to hope.

I have zero interest in a bloodlines game. But there are never to many turn based post-apocalyptic games around.

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
We were talking about the general idea of crowdfunding Obsidian’s games, Feargus said that they thought about crowdfunding Tyranny, but decided to do it on their own.
So...are they completely funding it out of pocket? Or does it have a publisher? I didn't pay too much attention when it was first announced.
Paradox is publishing it, so I'm not sure what he meant there.

---

Arcane
I hope that they will learn from their errors, though I don't think they will do it.
I have to say that I learned something, though: never more wait for a game with such high expectations, there is only shit incoming :dealwithit:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Cain/Boyarsky SCI-FI post-apoc isometric TB C&C cRPG from times of old... INCOMING!

OR I could settle for Bloodlines 2 with the Unreal 4 engine.. Oh god. That would also be hevan

Pl0xx make it happen' :bounce::bounce:

Also, here's to hoping that PoE 2 won't be shit.:shittydog:

ROARRR

Savant
Possibly Retarded
so you guys believe in wonders?! If so play a fantasy game. It is full of it.
But Yeah I have to admit the news are exciting but their "promises" are not. I have doubts about Obsidians credibility. Let us first see how well "Tyranus" will be....

Trashos

Arcane
Obviously, as you’ve probably guessed, we’re starting to move forward on [Pillars of] Eternity II. That is probably something that we want to look at [in terms of crowdfunding]. I think people felt like we delivered on our promise, and then that felt like we could go with Eternity II and people would support us again, because they trust us.​
Good. If they crowdfund PoE2, maybe they will have to respect it and not go all Dragon Age on its ass.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I'm reasonably confident that they're not going to make a post-apocalyptic game.

Seriously, what exactly is the attraction is here? It's not like there's anything novel and therefore inherently awesome about "post-apoc" anymore. Raiders, robots, mutants, deserts, ruins, it's been done to death. Fallout is cool, but "post-apoc" as a whole is just a set of tropes that isn't indicative of anything.

Ask for space opera sci-fi, not post-apoc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom