Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Mount & Blade Revealed

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Mount & Blade; TaleWorlds

<b>Mount & Blade</b>, previously known as Warrider, has just been revealed our very own <a href=http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6803>RPG Codex forums</a> by Turkey-based RPG developers <a href=http://www.taleworlds.com/>TaleWorlds</a>.
<br>
<blockquote>
<br>
I am one of the developers of the action-RPG "Mount&Blade". Perhaps you'll remember our game. It used to be named "Warrider" and VD had made a news post about it. And even before that I had made a post about it while the name was still "Way of the Sword". Well, it has become kind of a tradition to let the codexers know every time we change the game's name so here we go...
<br>
<br>
Apart from the name change, there are quite a few new developments. We have made the most recent version of the game available for download. And although the game is still in beta, we have started to offer it for sale it too. (Think of this as pre-ordering, but with the added benefit of freely downloading and playing the beta. It makes a lot of sense to us as a way of financing the game's development. I don't know why noone else does it.)
<br>
<br>
You can visit our website to download the game or to get more info:
<br>
<a href=http://www.taleworlds.com>www.taleworlds.com</a>
<br>
<br>
I'll be around (actually I visit RPG Codex from time to time. It's addictive) so if you have any remarks or questions I'll be happy to chat.
<br>
-Armagan</blockquote>
<br>
Check it out.

Stark

Liturgist
in case Armagan is reading this...

just a suggestion: you may want to provide more info on your website to promote the game. folks are less likely to download and try out your game given the scant information provided. A faq page may help readers to understand your game better.

for example, a list of skills/attributes of your game would give me a better idea what your game is about. is it open ended? are there plenty of scripted quests, or a linear story with random fights generated while travelling around? will there be speech skill? how do you raise an army?

i had to dig around the forum to find a video clip. you may want to consider putting the link on your main page.

armagan

TaleWorlds Entertainment
Developer
Stark said:
just a suggestion: you may want to provide more info on your website to promote the game. folks are less likely to download and try out your game given the scant information provided. A faq page may help readers to understand your game better.
You are quite right about that. I am not really happy about the presentation in our website either. Thinking of it, an FAQ is a good idea and a tidy and structured way to present the info. I'll probably do that. Thanks for the suggestion.

We used to have a few video clips and they they attracted quite a lot of interest too. However they eat up our bandwidth too quickly and we can't keep them for too long. I will try to get some game portals host videos some time.

mathboy

Liturgist
Great game!

One thing I didn't like was that you were forced to use all weapons when training, getting to choose would be a lot better.

armagan

TaleWorlds Entertainment
Developer
Hi mathboy,

Weapons are assigned to you and your opponents randomly to add some extra variety and excitement to the training and tournaments. You use the weapons you choose in the rest of the game anyway.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Neat game and allready a lot of fun to play! Love the horses, the friendly tropps and the large gameworld. Some points though...

More options with encounters (help the refugees, rob the refugees, pay or fight the pirates, etc) Instead of just the generic message you get when you encounter them.

Some more varied terrain. How about farmsteads, fields, roads?

Little town descriptions. Now they seem a bit generic. With a description they get a bit more character. Also the town maps/inns/merchants now have silly names like kuduzai_merchant or kuduzai_inn.

How about combo moves in combat? Maybe I missed this, but wouldn't it be great to string along attacks? (high chop goes into low swing goes into decapitation or overhead slash kinda stuff)

Good luck with the game, allready it has a lot of potential! Cya.

mathboy

Liturgist
armagan said:
Hi mathboy,

Weapons are assigned to you and your opponents randomly to add some extra variety and excitement to the training and tournaments. You use the weapons you choose in the rest of the game anyway.

I just feel the training is more like gambling when you've got a short sword user, if you're lucky you get to use it all times or at least two of the times, and can win that way.

Another thing, can you choose wich one of the attacks, side, side, from above and thrust to use. I might have missed it.

Fez

Erudite
I found the training combat easy if you remember to block. Try blocking his move and then attacking straight away, then wait and block his move and so on. That should get you into the basic pattern of it so you avoid most hits.

armagan

TaleWorlds Entertainment
Developer
Trash said:
More options with encounters (help the refugees, rob the refugees, pay or fight the pirates, etc) Instead of just the generic message you get when you encounter them.
Yep. This is in my TODO list although I am not sure how widely I'll be able to do that.

Some more varied terrain. How about farmsteads, fields, roads?
I am thinking of add adding desert and snow terrains. We used to have farm buildings but I took them out mainly to reduce the work needed for AI. Maybe I'll reintroduce them.

How about combo moves in combat? Maybe I missed this, but wouldn't it be great to string along attacks? (high chop goes into low swing goes into decapitation or overhead slash kinda stuff)
It would be nice. It's probably something to think about for Mount&Blade 2 ;)

Thanks for your ideas and your encouraginging remarks. It's great to see people are enjoying the game.

armagan

TaleWorlds Entertainment
Developer
mathboy said:
Another thing, can you choose wich one of the attacks, side, side, from above and thrust to use. I might have missed it.
On ground, you can not choose them. They are chosen randomly. On horseback you swing in the direction you are looking at.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom